So I bought some useless junk recently...

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:05 am
[user not found] wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:29 pm

I’m not spending anything beyond sustinence, debt repayment, and utilities right now.
So you want to enter the apocalypse/TEOTWAWKO with no debt or fun stuff?

Interesting plan.
I am kinda trying to keep spending up at a decent level. Gotta do our part to keep the economy turning if in a position to do so. For now I'm cautiously optimistic that my job isn't going away anytime soon, and even on the base salary for six months with no commission, we will be just fine.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:19 am
[user not found] wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:29 pm

I’m not spending anything beyond sustinence, debt repayment, and utilities right now.
I'm truly worried about my savings being inflated away. I finally have a bit of money in the bank and now this fucking shit.
:wut:

Everythang is about to get really cheap :mahman:

:waxer: 's :meat: will be down from $1700 to $1400 in no time.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

D Griff wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:51 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:19 am

I'm truly worried about my savings being inflated away. I finally have a bit of money in the bank and now this fucking shit.
:wut:

Everythang is about to get really cheap :mahman:

the government is literally printing money. And with dropping the reserve ratio for banks, allowing them to do it as well.

maybe land? hmm...
brain go brrrrrr
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

I really hope so. That's when I buy more..
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

I picked up a new welding helmet since the autodarkening feature of my last one decided to quit working.

CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:05 am

So you want to enter the apocalypse/TEOTWAWKO with no debt or fun stuff?

Interesting plan.
I am kinda trying to keep spending up at a decent level. Gotta do our part to keep the economy turning if in a position to do so. For now I'm cautiously optimistic that my job isn't going away anytime soon, and even on the base salary for six months with no commission, we will be just fine.
I am trying to up my spending with companies that are not part of the current shopping frenzy. Those businesses are going to be reporting record low sales starting at the end of this month and anything I can do to help make sure they stay open is something I will do.

I also have no worries about my job, but even if it did go away I would then just be more conservative on my spending. If I went :scrooge: mode and stopped buying extra stuff and cars I'd be fine indefinitely.

Now is not the time to completely :scrooge: though, as long as you are safe with your income and your family is doing well. No better way to fuel the start of a recession than everyone panicking about not spending. Live life as normal as possible. If everything goes more to shit and they keep printing money then those dollars you are saving are going to be worth about as much as the Peso or Rupee and it won't make a damned difference if you have $100k or $5M to sit on.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:38 am

I am trying to up my spending with companies that are not part of the current shopping frenzy. Those businesses are going to be reporting record low sales starting at the end of this month and anything I can do to help make sure they stay open is something I will do.

I also have no worries about my job, but even if it did go away I would then just be more conservative on my spending. If I went :scrooge: mode and stopped buying extra stuff and cars I'd be fine indefinitely.

Now is not the time to completely :scrooge: though, as long as you are safe with your income and your family is doing well. No better way to fuel the start of a recession than everyone panicking about not spending. Live life as normal as possible. If everything goes more to shit and they keep printing money then those dollars you are saving are going to be worth about as much as the Peso or Rupee and it won't make a damned difference if you have $100k or $5M to sit on.
Yeah man, I agree.

That is a good point about spending with businesses that will be struggling. I'll go buy a new helmet at a local bike shop instead of the 'zon.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

[user not found] wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:48 am
Apex wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:50 am

And a MINI. :hue:
Yeah, well, I bought that the first week of February. I shouldn't have, in hindsight.
Still gotta live mang.

What better way to drive off into the sunset of the apocalypse than with a screaming supercharger?
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:08 am
Apex wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:50 am

Still gotta live mang.

What better way to drive off into the sunset of the apocalypse than with a screaming supercharger?
You've got a point. Good thing I already have it and the expensive work and parts are done and paid for.
:dat:

You running the Brola or switching exhausts on it?
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:16 am
Apex wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:12 am

:dat:

You running the Brola or switching exhausts on it?
Brola stays, only thing I might do is switch tips because I hate they way they look.

It drones a bit, but it's got some good snap crackle and pop.
:notbad:
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:00 am Hard to stay the course when I work in one of the most reactionary businesses that exists. I'm watching other dealerships lay off 70-80% of their workforce. I'm watching others shut down completely. It's not a good prognosis.

Additionally, this country has been increasingly built on greed and profit as of late and certainly not a proper code of ethics and definitely not 'doing the right thing.' The right thing to do in a crisis, is to take care of your people. However, not even our government is able to do that without taking care of big business first. And that's fine if the businesses then take care of their employees, but you know they won't unless it's federally mandated.

We're in uncharted territory. Until I get my own bailout, I'm not bailing out any business.
Obviously sales is a high risk field. Hopefully you get through this unscathed.

After 6 months in sales and seeing the inconsistency of commission back in 1990 I knew I couldn't rely on that to make a living. Even the best sales guys hit slumps, so I applaud anyone that can deal with it, balls of steel for sure.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

CorvetteWaxer wrote:
D Griff wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:51 am I am kinda trying to keep spending up at a decent level. Gotta do our part to keep the economy turning if in a position to do so. For now I'm cautiously optimistic that my job isn't going away anytime soon, and even on the base salary for six months with no commission, we will be just fine.

I don't necessarily disagree, but for us :scrooge: is normal operation. We've been spending almost as little as we can (minus my moronic car spending) for our entire adult lives, all in the hope of one day being financially independent while everyone else slaves away. We spend $4k/mo all-in, counting rent/food/cars/healthcare/fun.

Whether it turns out to have been a waste of life remains unclear.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:41 am
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:24 am

Obviously sales is a high risk field. Hopefully you get through this unscathed.

After 6 months in sales and seeing the inconsistency of commission back in 1990 I knew I couldn't rely on that to make a living. Even the best sales guys hit slumps, so I applaud anyone that can deal with it, balls of steel for sure.
Not in outright sales anymore, thankfully, but now that we have very little incoming business and I've had to halt all dealer trades, my role is very redundant and non-essential.

I'm 50/50 salary + production based bonus. Steadier, of course, but since we're moving very few units, I'll be down to 60-70% of my income this month. All of the wife's shoots have been cancelled, so her income is also down to near zero moving forward.

:iono:

I'm expecting to lose everything at this point. Scary, but it is what it is. Whenever we see the other side of this, it's going to cause me to make some drastic lifestyle and saving/spending changes.
Fuuuuuck.

Sorry man. I would also consider looking at other fields of employment that are a bit less to impact your lifestyle. Nothing is guaranteed, but some are more steady than others.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

[user not found] wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:41 am

I'm expecting to lose everything at this point.
fucking hell dude, is it really that bad?
brain go brrrrrr
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

[user not found] wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:48 am
Apex wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:50 am

And a MINI. :hue:
Yeah, well, I bought that the first week of February. I shouldn't have, in hindsight.
:mahman:

Can I show you a $35k bmw wagoon that has been in the :dillershit: more than house?
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Huckleberry wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:24 am I picked up a new welding helmet since the autodarkening feature of my last one decided to quit working.

What did you go with?
Huckleberry

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:39 am
Huckleberry wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:24 am I picked up a new welding helmet since the autodarkening feature of my last one decided to quit working.

What did you go with?
The Lincoln Viking 3350.

It is a very nice helmet that doesn't break the wallet. I found it for $215 from IOC Welding Supplies.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Huckleberry wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:57 am
CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:39 am

What did you go with?
The Lincoln Viking 3350.

It is a very nice helmet that doesn't break the wallet. I found it for $215 from IOC Welding Supplies.
Yeah 4 sensors. Good choice.
Huckleberry

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:06 pm
Huckleberry wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:57 am

The Lincoln Viking 3350.

Indeed.

I looked at the Optrel Panoramaxx and Speedglas 9100xxi, but those were $390 and $440 respectively. Just a bit more than I wanted to spend for something I don't do on a frequent basis.

Plus, the money saved can go towards replacing the microfiber towels and buffing pads I absolutely ruined by cutting sheet metal next to them without thinking. :jackass:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Huckleberry wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:12 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:06 pm

Indeed.

I looked at the Optrel Panoramaxx and Speedglas 9100xxi, but those were $390 and $440 respectively. Just a bit more than I wanted to spend for something I don't do on a frequent basis.

Plus, the money saved can go towards replacing the microfiber towels and buffing pads I absolutely ruined by cutting sheet metal next to them without thinking. :jackass:
I have the Optrel Crystal 2.0. I love the panoramaxx too so if they ever combine the Crystal and Panoramaxx :troywax:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

[user not found] wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:54 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:09 am

fucking hell dude, is it really that bad?
It all depends on whether I get laid off at some point or not. If I don't get laid off and I'm able to at least get paid my base salary, I'll be fine.

If I get laid off, I've got 2-3 months of cash for the stuff that can't be put on credit - mortgage, car payments, utilities.
I hope it picks up for you man
brain go brrrrrr
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Speaking of magical color combos, I changed my mind and went for a cheapass guitar instead of doing nothing. I wanted a decent 6-string to start a fun cover band when the plague ends, everything I own anymore is 7. I was originally looking at $1-2k stuff, decided that is too much for now. This is pretty :neat: for $200.

ESP LTD M-50FR 2016 Neon Orange https://reverb.com/item/32904753-esp-lt ... t=32904753

Dunno if/when it'll actually get shipped to me :doe:
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

troyguitar wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:19 pm Speaking of magical color combos, I changed my mind and went for a cheapass guitar instead of doing nothing. I wanted a decent 6-string to start a fun cover band when the plague ends, everything I own anymore is 7. I was originally looking at $1-2k stuff, decided that is too much for now. This is pretty :neat: for $200.

ESP LTD M-50FR 2016 Neon Orange https://reverb.com/item/32904753-esp-lt ... t=32904753

Dunno if/when it'll actually get shipped to me :doe:
:nice:
Huckleberry

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:17 pm
Huckleberry wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:12 pm

Indeed.

I have the Optrel Crystal 2.0. I love the panoramaxx too so if they ever combine the Crystal and Panoramaxx :troywax:
Nice. The Optrel was also something I wanted to be able to try on and see if I like it. From the reviews I read, some said that the design can take some getting used to due to the lens being much closer to your eyes.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Huckleberry wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:57 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:17 pm

Nice. The Optrel was also something I wanted to be able to try on and see if I like it. From the reviews I read, some said that the design can take some getting used to due to the lens being much closer to your eyes.
It's true yes but it takes an hour or so to get used to it, but once you do it feels like you are looking through a keyhole with anything else.