So I bought some useless junk recently...

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

KYGTIGuy wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:07 pm Did the BGE have a counter weight to help opening the lid up?
It has springs on the big hinge, but they are what is lifting the lid when closed and breaking the seal, keeping it from running at low temps.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:38 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:56 pm

Using the same lump coal, the Weber is ready to cook in 15-20 minutes using the gas ignition system. With 2 firestarter bricks the BEG was usually about an hour to stabilize temps and burn enough of the coal off to be ready to go.
Interesting.

Do you do any low and slow smokes? Curious to hear what you think if you do.

I love the egg's ability to park at a low temp. We've gotten into smoking salmon lately, and I can get the egg parked at 180 degrees for HOURS without touching a thing. Temperature control is really nice, especially since I don't use fans or any fancy gadgetry.
Not yet, but I know there won't be any issues. It was built to do them and has a plug for a temp controller ( I ordered the adapter for my blower today). It operates like my Weber Smokey Mountain, so it will run great down even in cold smoke temps. Harry Soo, a national champ uses one of these and did a 27 hour run on 1 fill of coal.
Last edited by CorvetteWaxer on Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

KYGTIGuy wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:07 pm Did the BGE have a counter weight to help opening the lid up?
Why does a guy with a 1000 degree penis grill need help lifting anything?
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:15 pm
LOL

I could run mine fine w/o the springs and have it seal, but my wife can't easily lift the lid on the thing, it's heavy and awkward weight... plus it makes it easy to slam and break the ceramic lid or base.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:20 pm

LOL

I could run mine fine w/o the springs and have it seal, but my wife can't easily lift the lid on the thing, it's heavy and awkward weight... plus it makes it easy to slam and break the ceramic lid or base.
Yeah without springs ceramic grills are one beer away from getting swept up with a dustpan.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

:lolol:

Sounds like they tried to cut a corner there. Where are the BGE made?
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

KYGTIGuy wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:42 pm

The earlier conversation was that the largest BGE won't seal correctly because of the spring. The rest are fine. BGE is a high collar premium ceramic so :disappoint:
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:49 pm

The earlier conversation was that the largest BGE won't seal correctly because of the spring. The rest are fine. BGE is a high collar premium ceramic so :disappoint:
Well that's what I mean, they didn't account for the weight or decided the fix was too expensive on the big ass BGE

But yeah. Disappointing if you paid that much for one.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

China.
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:49 pm The earlier conversation was that the largest BGE won't seal correctly because of the spring. The rest are fine. BGE is a high collar premium ceramic so :disappoint:
:dat:

The older versions of the BGE and the smaller units that use the "normal" hinge and spring setup are almost always 100% reliable.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:03 pm

China.
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:49 pm The earlier conversation was that the largest BGE won't seal correctly because of the spring. The rest are fine. BGE is a high collar premium ceramic so :disappoint:

The older versions of the BGE
and the smaller units that use the "normal" hinge and spring setup are almost always 100% reliable.
Interesting
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

KYGTIGuy wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:04 pm

China.

The older versions of the BGE
and the smaller units that use the "normal" hinge and spring setup are almost always 100% reliable.
Interesting
Well, when I say older I mean the old style hinge system. They changed it for the bigger XL and XXL eggs because the original design wasn't beefy enough. The new hinges work fine on the smaller eggs. On the bigger units though, it seems there is a known problem that "some eggs" exhibit. I'm trying to get a full replacement now, they already replaced all the bands and hinge a couple times and replaced my gaskets. Only thing left is the ceramics.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

:lolol: :lolgasm:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

China.

The older versions of the BGE and the smaller units that use the "normal" hinge and spring setup are almost always 100% reliable.
BGE is made in China? :wtf: probably in the same factory as my Costco egg. Why is it so expensive?
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:39 am

China.

BGE is made in China? :wtf: probably in the same factory as my Costco egg. Why is it so expensive?
Marketing. Much like Weber
ChrisoftheNorth

KYGTIGuy wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:43 am
Weber is legit better quality from my experience, regardless of where it's produced.

And maybe BGE is the same, but it seems to me that a giant ceramic egg is a giant ceramic egg. I assumed it was made in North America somewhere. MAYBE they have tighter acceptable tolerances in the manufacturing, but from waxer's experience, that doesn't seem to be the case.

My Costco egg has exhibited no such issues, and it was a fraction of the price and similar size.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

China.

:notsure:

Ceramic bits are made in Mexico. Metal hinges and bands are USA made (according to BGE website)

FWIW, I own a medium BGE and a basic one-touch Weber kettle. Both have performed flawlessly for me.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
ChrisoftheNorth

4zilch wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:03 am
:notsure:

Ceramic bits are made in Mexico. Metal hinges and bands are USA made (according to BGE website)

FWIW, I own a medium BGE and a basic one-touch Weber kettle. Both have performed flawlessly for me.
This makes more sense.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

China.

The main things I can find are 1. brand recognition and 2. lifetime warranty on the ceramics.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:53 am
KYGTIGuy wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:43 am

Weber is legit better quality from my experience, regardless of where it's produced.

And maybe BGE is the same, but it seems to me that a giant ceramic egg is a giant ceramic egg. I assumed it was made in North America somewhere. MAYBE they have tighter acceptable tolerances in the manufacturing, but from waxer's experience, that doesn't seem to be the case.

My Costco egg has exhibited no such issues, and it was a fraction of the price and similar size.
This is why I have been a Weber fanboy and why I bought another Weber:

A few years ago I had an issue with a Weber kettle (Performer 22.5") that was technically out of warranty. I had been cooking indirect on it and had been using Lump and hitting well over 1000F temps in it and melted a few of the plastic spacer/rollers for the lid rack. I called Weber and got a support center that is actually in the USA. Yes, the person I spoke to was fluent in English. :lol: I wanted to just buy new parts and she refused to let me... They covered the parts I broke for free and shipped them out at no cost to me.

Prior to that I mail ordered one of my Smokey Mountain cookers from Amazon and the body was out of round, causing a smoke leak. I called them and they mailed me a new center section and told me to keep the out of round one as a backup. Their customer service is second to none. I can't really even talk to someone at BGE, they always just want you to talk to your local dealer.... no matter how busy that dealer is and if they can't get back to you.
ChrisoftheNorth

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:53 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:53 am

A few years ago I had an issue with a Weber kettle (Performer 22.5") that was technically out of warranty. I had been cooking indirect on it and had been using Lump and hitting well over 1000F temps in it and melted a few of the plastic spacer/rollers for the lid rack. I called Weber and got a support center that is actually in the USA. Yes, the person I spoke to was fluent in English. :lol: I wanted to just buy new parts and she refused to let me... They covered the parts I broke for free and shipped them out at no cost to me.

Prior to that I mail ordered one of my Smokey Mountain cookers from Amazon and the body was out of round, causing a smoke leak. I called them and they mailed me a new center section and told me to keep the out of round one as a backup. Their customer service is second to none. I can't really even talk to someone at BGE, they always just want you to talk to your local dealer.... no matter how busy that dealer is and if they can't get back to you.
:impressive:

I never even had to deal with customer service with Weber, my old grills just always worked.

I can say that I had to contact customer service for my Costco egg. Company called Pit Boss, fully expecting them to tell me to deal with Costco.. When I put it together, I scratched the outside of it setting it into the stand. It was also missing the ash tool for some reason. I wanted to buy some touchup paint and find out about the ash tool, and called their customer service number. Went right to a lady with a southern accent (some can understand, some can't I guess) and she was unbelievably nice. OVERNIGHTED me the ash tool and a bottle of touch-up paint for free. I wouldn't hesitate to contact them again, but nothing is wrong with my grill.

Customer support can make a huge difference for sure.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:00 am
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:53 am

I never even had to deal with customer service with Weber, my old grills just always worked.

I can say that I had to contact customer service for my Costco egg. Company called Pit Boss, fully expecting them to tell me to deal with Costco.. When I put it together, I scratched the outside of it setting it into the stand. It was also missing the ash tool for some reason. I wanted to buy some touchup paint and find out about the ash tool, and called their customer service number. Went right to a lady with a southern accent (some can understand, some can't I guess) and she was unbelievably nice. OVERNIGHTED me the ash tool and a bottle of touch-up paint for free. I wouldn't hesitate to contact them again, but nothing is wrong with my grill.

Pitt Boss has a pretty good name in the business, so that's good to know they are the importer/distributor.

I actually just got ahold of BGE and they kind of rushed me of the phone, but wanted me to email them pics of the issue and of my proof of purchase. I shot off the email and pics.... We'll see if they treat me fairly via email support when they see the pics of the issue.
ChrisoftheNorth

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:33 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:00 am

Pitt Boss has a pretty good name in the business, so that's good to know they are the importer/distributor.

I actually just got ahold of BGE and they kind of rushed me of the phone, but wanted me to email them pics of the issue and of my proof of purchase. I shot off the email and pics.... We'll see if they treat me fairly via email support when they see the pics of the issue.
:popcorn:

For reference:
https://www.costco.com/Pit-Boss-Ceramic ... 78747.html

They're blue now. Mine is black but everything else appears to be the same.
Barnes93cb
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Turbro Go Kart/ Yamaha Bolt

Gawd damn those are expensive. I want one but dont have $800 sitting around.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Did some ribs in the Weber today. 5 hours at 235F and they were perfect. As expected, with the temp controller the Summit held the temp steady, no problem.

Tomorrow I'm going to do some prime Ribeyes and Friday I have some pork butts ready to go.
ChrisoftheNorth

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:32 am Did some ribs in the Weber today. 5 hours at 235F and they were perfect. As expected, with the temp controller the Summit held the temp steady, no problem.

Tomorrow I'm going to do some prime Ribeyes and Friday I have some pork butts ready to go.
:popcorn: