So I bought some useless junk recently...

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 3:00 pm
Apex wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 2:47 pm

You have racedeck for your racedeck? :impressive:
Swisstrax, for my Swisstrax under both the Harley in Orange/Black and Ducati with Red/White.....but who's counting? :lolol:

I had RaceDeck and the SwissTrax is MUCH, MUCH better.
:lolol: :fuckyeah:
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Finally got a dashcam, and somehow copying rudy lol
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Bought my wife a new camera to use for school and stuff, her old 12MP Nikon Coolpix really sucks compared to the camera in the Pixel 2 XL she has.

Got her a small Canon mirrorless for the hell of it, even though a new mirrorless Canon and Nikon is only months/a year away.

Canon M50 with 15-45mm kit lens:

Canon 22mm f/2:

Last edited by CorvetteWaxer on Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Also got in my RRS collar and foot for the Nikon 200-500 VR:

CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

So, I've had an ongoing battle with the BGE for the year that I've owned it. It has problems sealing in the rear, there's always a gap of 1/16 inch or so and the lid ends up not aligning, it has an "underbite". I had the store that sold it to me out 5 times for adjustments, replace the hinge and bands, twice and they replaced the gaskets the last time they came out. I spoke to the regional rep for BGE on the phone and it was concluded that it would not seal properly unless we detach the assist springs on the hinge. Apparently this is a known issue and the only way to "fix" it is to remove the springs.... problem is, the lid is then damned heavy to lift and becomes easy to slam, and possibly break the lid, or base.

The owner of the store is looking into what he can do for me at this point, but I don't know what to expect, so I may just crangslist it.

Anyway, yesterday I was fed up with the whole thing and went and bought a new Weber Summit Charcoal grill. I got the "workstation" version with the stainless steel table. This thing is pretty awesome. Weber quality from the USA company with awesome support if it is ever needed. It has a braided metal gasket that seals up perfectly. Also, it's very insulated, but doesn't weigh 900 pounds like the ceramic BGE.

Wife wanted to have Pizza last night and demanded Hawaiian. Nowhere near my favorite toppings, but it came out great nonetheless.

ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:12 am So, I've had an ongoing battle with the BGE for the year that I've owned it. It has problems sealing in the rear, there's always a gap of 1/16 inch or so and the lid ends up not aligning, it has an "underbite". I had the store that sold it to me out 5 times for adjustments, replace the hinge and bands, twice and they replaced the gaskets the last time they came out. I spoke to the regional rep for BGE on the phone and it was concluded that it would not seal properly unless we detach the assist springs on the hinge. Apparently this is a known issue and the only way to "fix" it is to remove the springs.... problem is, the lid is then damned heavy to lift and becomes easy to slam, and possibly break the lid, or base.

The owner of the store is looking into what he can do for me at this point, but I don't know what to expect, so I may just crangslist it.

Anyway, yesterday I was fed up with the whole thing and went and bought a new Weber Summit Charcoal grill. I got the "workstation" version with the stainless steel table. This thing is pretty awesome. Weber quality from the USA company with awesome support if it is ever needed. It has a braided metal gasket that seals up perfectly. Also, it's very insulated, but doesn't weigh 900 pounds like the ceramic BGE.

Wife wanted to have Pizza last night and demanded Hawaiian. Nowhere near my favorite toppings, but it came out great nonetheless.

Wow, very interesting. I've had zero issues with sealing on my Chinese egg, and I've been using it at least weekly for a year now.

Does the Webber cook in the same way as the egg? I like the versatility of low and slow for HOURS and searing hot quickly for steaks and pizzas.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:36 am
Wow, very interesting. I've had zero issues with sealing on my Chinese egg, and I've been using it at least weekly for a year now.

Does the Webber cook in the same way as the egg? I like the versatility of low and slow for HOURS and searing hot quickly for steaks and pizzas.
This one is apparently a design flaw with the XL egg's hinge system to support the heavier lid. The smaller sized BGE's don't have the issue, according to the store owner, the tech, and the BGE rep. There is no real "fix" other than removing the asist springs.

The Weber does it all the same. This one is an all-in-one solution for grilling and smoking and even has a port built in so you can attach the blower for the automatic temp controller. I just need to buy the $30 adapter from my controller manufacturer.

Last night I fired up a basket of lump for over an hour at 700 degrees to burn off anything inside the cooker, then made the pizza. After it was done I closed down the vents and ran it low at about 225 for about 12 hours and this morning it was still going with more lump coal still unburned. So, it actually seems like it might be more efficient than my BGE to last that long at those temp ranges. I'll know more in the coming weeks, but my BGE burns through coal fast at high heat. I believe that this one will shed excess heat faster than the ceramic, but is still double wall insulated with an air gap. I got it to come down from 700+ to 200 a lot faster than the egg will, the egg will take hours to do that with its heat retention.
ChrisoftheNorth

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:56 am
Detroit wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:36 am

This one is apparently a design flaw with the XL egg's hinge system to support the heavier lid. The smaller sized BGE's don't have the issue, according to the store owner, the tech, and the BGE rep. There is no real "fix" other than removing the asist springs.

The Weber does it all the same. This one is an all-in-one solution for grilling and smoking and even has a port built in so you can attach the blower for the automatic temp controller. I just need to buy the $30 adapter from my controller manufacturer.

Last night I fired up a basket of lump for over an hour at 700 degrees to burn off anything inside the cooker, then made the pizza. After it was done I closed down the vents and ran it low at about 225 for about 12 hours and this morning it was still going with more lump coal still unburned. So, it actually seems like it might be more efficient than my BGE to last that long at those temp ranges. I'll know more in the coming weeks, but my BGE burns through coal fast at high heat. I believe that this one will shed excess heat faster than the ceramic, but is still double wall insulated with an air gap. I got it to come down from 700+ to 200 a lot faster than the egg will, the egg will take hours to do that with its heat retention.
Egg definitely takes a while to come down from high temps, and I too have noticed that mine goes through fuel fast at high temps.

Very interesting...
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:12 am So, I've had an ongoing battle with the BGE for the year that I've owned it. It has problems sealing in the rear, there's always a gap of 1/16 inch or so and the lid ends up not aligning, it has an "underbite". I had the store that sold it to me out 5 times for adjustments, replace the hinge and bands, twice and they replaced the gaskets the last time they came out. I spoke to the regional rep for BGE on the phone and it was concluded that it would not seal properly unless we detach the assist springs on the hinge. Apparently this is a known issue and the only way to "fix" it is to remove the springs.... problem is, the lid is then damned heavy to lift and becomes easy to slam, and possibly break the lid, or base.

Wow. I'll be following this with considerable interest. I had a friend who bought the large BGE two years ago and have not heard about the underbite issue but maybe he's not as anal as you are. I also had a friend who went Kamado Joe and it appears to be superior to the BGE in almost every area, and is the premium ceramic I would buy. But at $1800, I could buy three of the Costco eggs. Is it three times as good? No. How much was the Weber?
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:04 pm

Wow. I'll be following this with considerable interest. I had a friend who bought the large BGE two years ago and have not heard about the underbite issue but maybe he's not as anal as you are. I also had a friend who went Kamado Joe and it appears to be superior to the BGE in almost every area, and is the premium ceramic I would buy. But at $1800, I could buy three of the Costco eggs. Is it three times as good? No. How much was the Weber?
Retail is $2000 on the Weber, but I got it for $1600 by negotiating it down with the store manager. They went on sale once in the last 18 months for $1500 but that was a special promotion in Feb. 2017.

It seems that only the XL and XXL eggs have this hinge issue as they use a special design for the weight.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:55 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:04 pm

Retail is $2000 on the Weber, but I got it for $1600 by negotiating it down with the store manager. They went on sale once in the last 18 months for $1500 but that was a special promotion in Feb. 2017.

It seems that only the XL and XXL eggs have this hinge issue as they use a special design for the weight.
Decent. Very interested in cooking results vs. ceramic.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

So that's a Weber version of a "BGE"?

Mmmyeah, gonna need one of those at Playa del Jelly
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

What's the silver box on the side with the knob?
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

KYGTIGuy wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:20 pm What's the silver box on the side with the knob?
Gas ignition. Uses the small camp/lantern propane tank to light the coals for you.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

So that's a Weber version of a "BGE"?

Mmmyeah, gonna need one of those at Playa del Jelly
[/quote]

Basically, yes.
ChrisoftheNorth

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:38 pm
KYGTIGuy wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:20 pm What's the silver box on the side with the knob?
Gas ignition. Uses the small camp/lantern propane tank to light the coals for you.
:impressive:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

ChrisoftheNorth

TL;DR if lighting charcoal is too hard for you, buy the Weber.

I use all natural fire starters and can get my Chinese egg up to 800 within 40 minutes from cold.

Interested to hear waxer's take.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

800 degrees is for women baking brownies.

My grill had its own penis and gets up to 1000 degrees Frankenstein.

:trollface:
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

My grill had been great during the heat wave. No need to heat up the house cooking. Win win
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

I'll take :waxer: BGE when he decides to post it on CL.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:15 pm

I use all natural fire starters and can get my Chinese egg up to 800 within 40 minutes from cold.

Using the same lump coal, the Weber is ready to cook in 15-20 minutes using the gas ignition system. With 2 firestarter bricks the BEG was usually about an hour to stabilize temps and burn enough of the coal off to be ready to go.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Did the BGE have a counter weight to help opening the lid up?
ChrisoftheNorth

KYGTIGuy wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:42 pm 800 degrees is for women baking brownies.

My grill had its own penis and gets up to 1000 degrees Frankenstein.

:trollface:
:impressive:
ChrisoftheNorth

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:56 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:15 pm

Using the same lump coal, the Weber is ready to cook in 15-20 minutes using the gas ignition system. With 2 firestarter bricks the BEG was usually about an hour to stabilize temps and burn enough of the coal off to be ready to go.
Interesting.

Do you do any low and slow smokes? Curious to hear what you think if you do.

I love the egg's ability to park at a low temp. We've gotten into smoking salmon lately, and I can get the egg parked at 180 degrees for HOURS without touching a thing. Temperature control is really nice, especially since I don't use fans or any fancy gadgetry.