Thunder from down under?

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
Thedude
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

So I need DFD's help...

Bossman at work threw my hat in the ring for an 8 week assignment in Australia. Probably a once in decade opportunity. Sounds like a no-brainer for the guy trying to climb the ladder but I've never been that guy. I've always viewed work as a means to enjoy what I enjoy: skiing. And this opportunity just happens to be Jan-Feb, the heart of the ski season.

It'll look bad if I don't take it but at the same time I feel like what's the goddamn point if I miss an entire ski season.

I'm cranging out over here trying to figure out what to do.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

free trip to AUS?

yep, fuck whatever hobbies, im going to the land down under. Paid tourism with a side of work always wins in my book. And if you dont pursue it, future doors might not be made available to you, even if youy are against climbing said ladder.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

According to most here, free travel sucks.
Thedude
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

dubshow wrote:free trip to AUS?

yep, fuck whatever hobbies, im going to the land down under. Paid tourism with a side of work always wins in my book. And if you dont pursue it, future doors might not be made available to you, even if youy are against climbing said ladder.
I'd do it in a heartbeat if it were ANY other time. I literally live to ski.
haleyann
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Forester & Fiata

:doit:

I think that sounds like a pretty incredible opportunity. Plus you can still get a couple good ski days in before and after? You may even find something you love doing as much as skiing in Australia.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Paid trip to Aussieland? :fuckyeah: sign me up! For an 8-week assignment it's a no brainer to me. Also would then take time off around that, before/after to travel and hit up as much of the ski season as possible then.

Sounds like a once in a lifetime opportunity and skiing will always be there.
Thedude
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Apex wrote:Paid trip to Aussieland? :fuckyeah: sign me up! For an 8-week assignment it's a no brainer to me. Also would then take time off around that, before/after to travel and hit up as much of the ski season as possible then.

I appreciate that you guys are telling me what need to hear vs what I want to hear.

That said...I just can't take skiing for granted like it will always be there. Last year was proof of that. I only got in 80-something days, much less than the 100 mark, which is my goal every year. Temps are climbing and I'm aging... I really dread the thought of losing a year.. I mean, fuck, I go through depression at the end of every season. 5 stages of grief and all. I just hit the acceptance stage about a week ago and that's probably just because I'm getting on plane to ski CO tomorrow...
Apex

Thedude wrote:
Apex wrote:Paid trip to Aussieland? :fuckyeah: sign me up! For an 8-week assignment it's a no brainer to me. Also would then take time off around that, before/after to travel and hit up as much of the ski season as possible then.

I appreciate that you guys are telling me what need to hear vs what I want to hear.

That said...I just can't take skiing for granted like it will always be there. Last year was proof of that. I only got in 80-something days, much less than the 100 mark, which is my goal every year. Temps are climbing and I'm aging... I really dread the thought of losing a year.. I mean, fuck, I go through depression at the end of every season. 5 stages of grief and all. I just hit the acceptance stage about a week ago and that's probably just because I'm getting on plane to ski CO tomorrow...
Where do you live?
troyguitar

Take the extra money you make and go skiing in july in the southern hemisphere somewhere. Argentina?
Apex

troyguitar wrote:Take the extra money you make and go skiing in july in the southern hemisphere somewhere. Argentina?
:dat: or Chile would be :tits:
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

New Zealand is close, awesome, and has snowy mountains.

I have no idea about skiing there, but you should absolutely check that out. Especially if planning on taking some extra time on the bookends. I wouldn't be surprised if there is good skiing on the south island.

Sent from the beer depository
:therapist:
Thedude
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Calvinball wrote:New Zealand is close, awesome, and has snowy mountains.

I have no idea about skiing there, but you should absolutely check that out. Especially if planning on taking some extra time on the bookends. I wouldn't be surprised if there is good skiing on the south island.

Sent from the beer depository
Yeah, it'll be summer for them by then:(
troyguitar wrote:Take the extra money you make and go skiing in july in the Southern Hemisphere somewhere. Argentina?
As far as I know I won't be making extra money... maybe at bonus time but who knows..
Apex wrote:
Thedude wrote:I appreciate that you guys are telling me what need to hear vs what I want to hear.

Where do you live?
Near Blue Mountain in PA.
Thedude
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

troyguitar wrote:Take the extra money you make and go skiing in july in the southern hemisphere somewhere. Argentina?
And if they don't throw me a little sumpin for it, I'd lose out on the money I'd make as a ski instructor/race coach... man I'd miss my race kids. Especially the kids who have been with me a few years and would be aging out this year:(
Apex

Jan-Feb is pretty much ideal ski season here then. But, you could be up in new england now, I think Killington has some stuff open? And out west is getting fresh pow already. You can make this work AND enjoy 2 months in Australia.

But, throwing your hat in there doesn't mean you're automatically selected, does it?
troyguitar

Thedude wrote:
And if they don't throw me a little sumpin for it, I'd lose out on the money I'd make as a ski instructor/race coach... man I'd miss my race kids. Especially the kids who have been with me a few years and would be aging out this year:(
I was thinking you'd have extra money because of living on the company card and not buying lift tickets or gasoline or tires, but I had not considered instructor income.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Thedude wrote:So I need DFD's help...

Bossman at work threw my hat in the ring for an 8 week assignment in Australia. Probably a once in decade opportunity. Sounds like a no-brainer for the guy trying to climb the ladder but I've never been that guy. I've always viewed work as a means to enjoy what I enjoy: skiing. And this opportunity just happens to be Jan-Feb, the heart of the ski season.

It'll look bad if I don't take it but at the same time I feel like what's the goddamn point if I miss an entire ski season.

I'm cranging out over here trying to figure out what to do.
Why not take an early ski trip in December, or a late one in March? Or both? Jay Peak in VT is opening this weekend. Vail had a storm hit today. If you go late December to one of these places they'll have good conditions.

I'd probably try to do the Australia thing. Sounds like a neat opportunity. But if you're just going to be all :foreveralone: :crang: woe is me while you're there then it's not at all worth going.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Thedude wrote:
Just read this one :readthethread:

Yeah. That would be a tough call for sure. Do what you'll be happiest doing. If you don't want to do the work trip, make it clear to your boss that you have obligations to a bunch of kids that you've been coaching for years and skiing is a huge hobby that you really don't want to miss out on.
Apex

Johnny_P wrote:
Thedude wrote: And if they don't throw me a little sumpin for it, I'd lose out on the money I'd make as a ski instructor/race coach... man I'd miss my race kids. Especially the kids who have been with me a few years and would be aging out this year:(
Just read this one :readthethread:

Yeah. That would be a tough call for sure. Do what you'll be happiest doing. If you don't want to do the work trip, make it clear to your boss that you have obligations to a bunch of kids that you've been coaching for years and skiing is a huge hobby that you really don't want to miss out on.
:dat:

Dem kids change things a bit I think.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

[user not found] wrote:Do it, you :crang:

You WILL regret it down the road if you turn down this opportunity.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

Throw your hat in for it, get selected, send me instead, stay home and teach skiing full-time for 8 weeks..
Thedude
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Apex wrote:Jan-Feb is pretty much ideal ski season here then. But, you could be up in new england now, I think Killington has some stuff open? And out west is getting fresh pow already. You can make this work AND enjoy 2 months in Australia.

But, throwing your hat in there doesn't mean you're automatically selected, does it?
Yeah man, I do board a plane tomorrow for CO. I'm already on that haha.

December is another week either in CO or VT... tbd. Then of course Killy/Hunter on weekends and Blue weeknights. That is until ski school starts at BC, in which case I'm teaching on the weekends.

Then once the season is in full rhythm it's moguls on Monday, giant slalom on Tuesday, slalom OR training clinic Wed, moguls again Thurs, Friday is laundry if necessary, otherwise ski. Then teach weekends. I'll take random weekdays for day trips and then in march after race season is over I'll hit CO again and then Killy/Hunter/Sugarbush until the snow is gone and by then baseball stared and that's all there is between me and utter melt-down until it snows again...

And, yes, the job is mine if I want it... damn I'm being such a crang. Lol
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Summer in Australia is beautiful from what I hear. I never got to travel internationally with old job, i was getting salty about it. I'd pop into rusted asshole nuclear plant, USA once a month but the foreign gigs to Japan, england, Saudi all went to others... it was bullshit.

Once in a lifetime thing, I'd absolutely do it.
brain go brrrrrr
Calvinball

Big Brain Bradley wrote:

Summer in Australia is beautiful from what I hear. I never got to travel internationally with old job, i was getting salty about it. I'd pop into rusted asshole nuclear plant, USA once a month but the foreign gigs to Japan, england, Saudi all went to others... it was bullshit.

Once in a lifetime thing, I'd absolutely do it.
Yeah, Australia is awesome and New Zealand is awesomer. If it were me I would absolutely sacrifice a season of my preferred activity to go down there again.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Dude, go to Australia it will be a different experience than skiing for sure, but it's going to be an entirely different form of fun. Make some friends down there, and you'll have a place to stay if you ever want to go back and visit.

I get not wanting to miss a season, but you might look back on a missed opportunity like this with regret that you didn't go.

Get a passport, and go.
Pack Swedish fish if you need. ;)
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Calvinball

Even half a lifetime later my trip down there still ranks in the top experiences in life, and I was too young to even fully appreciate it (I was 13).