What school did you go to and what was your major?

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

I went UL Lafayette w/ :melon:

2005-09 : BS in Architecture & Design
09-11 : wasted time in grad school. Never handed in thesis. Walked away with 100% course work done, rage quit pretty much.

not many regrets, i was going to go insane staying in academic bubble land pursuing a profession that pays drastically lower than I expected.
rockchops
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

dubshow wrote:I went UL Lafayette w/ :melon:

2005-09 : BS in Architecture & Design
09-11 : wasted time in grad school. Never handed in thesis. Walked away with 100% course work done, rage quit pretty much.

not many regrets, i was going to go insane staying in academic bubble land pursuing a profession that pays drastically lower than I expected.
Holy shit I did the same thing almost. All coursework done on my masters and never finished thesis. In my case though I had a shitty advisor and basically made me rewrite it 3 times. After 3-4 years of it I said fuck it. Hoping I can transfer some of the credits.

:spinulator:
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Drexel University class of 2008
Bachelor's of Science - Mechanical Engieering
5 year program, did (3) half year internships, graduated with 1.5 years work experience and a job offer. :notbad:
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Johnny_P wrote:Drexel University class of 2008
5 year program, did (3) half year internships, graduated with 1.5 years work experience and a job offer. :notbad:
:fuckyeah:
Apex
Drives: Abominable

[user not found] wrote:Penn State - Integrative Arts/Photography.

Started in Graphic Design, got 1.5 years in and hated that the program was centered around essentially teaching us to essentially be clones of the professors.

So I switched to what I originally wanted to do: Photography. Morale instantly went up by 1000% - had a great experience. Worthless degree, in general, but the experiences I gleaned from being hands-on with my department (ran the digital photo print lab for 2 years, was trusted to sit in on departmental meatings, etc.) were well worth it.

Ended up graduating, going into marketing for a couple years then the whole AWE thing happened and I got into car sales.
You take purdy potato pics.
Johnny_P

Started in Graphic Design, got 1.5 years in and hated that the program was centered around essentially teaching us to essentially be clones of the professors.

So I switched to what I originally wanted to do: Photography. Morale instantly went up by 1000% - had a great experience. Worthless degree, in general, but the experiences I gleaned from being hands-on with my department (ran the digital photo print lab for 2 years, was trusted to sit in on departmental meatings, etc.) were well worth it.

Ended up graduating, going into marketing for a couple years then the whole AWE thing happened and I got into car sales.
Dem :mindblown: photoshop skills
Or you're just really really good at taking :neek: pics
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote:
Johnny_P wrote: Dem :mindblown: photoshop skills
So, you're saying I've put my degree to good use?

:lol:
:fuckyeah:
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Did 2 years of credits in one year toward a physics major at MIT, then promptly got burned out and quit after seeing my projected loan debts by the time I'd have finished a BS+PHD.

Went back to MI and worked for a year aimlessly, then finally decided to go part time to the local :scrooge: school Wayne State.

Eventually got a BS in math, minors in computer science and french.

Learned quickly that a BS in math is worthless. I learned the same shit as engineers but the degree doesn't say engineering so it's not acceptable for even an interview at the most entry level jobs.

Now trying to make that CS minor the primary focus and dick around with freelance web development.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

You could teach a degree program in making Neektars.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

And you should. I'd take it. Such great life skillz.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

troyguitar wrote:Did 2 years of credits in one year toward a physics major at MIT, then promptly got burned out and quit after seeing my projected loan debts by the time I'd have finished a BS+PHD.

Went back to MI and worked for a year aimlessly, then finally decided to go part time to the local :scrooge: school Wayne State.

Learned quickly that a BS in math is worthless. I learned the same shit as engineers but the degree doesn't say engineering so it's not acceptable for even an interview at the most entry level jobs.

Now trying to make that CS minor the primary focus and dick around with freelance web development.
Sounds like you'd be a good teacher.
brain go brrrrrr
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Big Brain Bradley wrote:
troyguitar wrote:Did 2 years of credits in one year toward a physics major at MIT, then promptly got burned out and quit after seeing my projected loan debts by the time I'd have finished a BS+PHD.

:dat:
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

FIU Bachelor of Public Administration with a Certificate in National Security Studies. 2-year student internship at FIU PD, now working as a research coordinator for Department of State Diplomacy Lab projects until I graduate.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Johnny_P wrote:

Dem :mindblown: photoshop skills
I've took 2 computer graphic classes when I was in High school as an elective, as they didn't accepted me in auto collision or auto tech :sad: So I learned photoshop and illustrator. I actually had fun, because my friends and I goof around and piss off our teacher. My friend whose from Taiwan played this song linked out loud, who used to get in trouble with our teacher a lot. But he's now a counselor in high school, and know the feels.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Desertbreh

In the middle of the biggest economic downturn in recent memory. Nice.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Johnny_P

Desertbreh wrote:
In the middle of the biggest economic downturn in recent memory. Nice.
Yep
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

ULL - University of Louisiana @ Lafayette.... But it was USL when I started in 97.
Did a year of Computer Science, got tired of math so I bailed (I took 5 maths in high school and was actually really good at it... I just didn't have the patience for College speed math).
Switched to Architecture for 2 years. Didn't really like it, realized I was more Industrial Design oriented. Changed to Industrial.
Did 3 years of that, and in the middle of my thesis the professor (ole Malinowski) wasn't hearing shit I was saying about my project and kept trying to pursued me to change my thesis to something on HIS group project. I fought it tooth and nail and he never gave me any slack.

I came in with fresh eyes and tried it, and he bashed all of my theoretical concept art and then looked at my GPA and said he didn't think that I could even graduate if I passed. I told him "You're absolutely right! And you offered me little help for my ORIGINAL thesis so I'll probably fail even if do something magnificent... So PEACE OUT"
Left, and just worked for a while.
Got my foot in the door doing drafting and got an Autocad certification, then moved on to 3D design for an oilfield company. Now I'm my boss's number one designer and go to guy. Even if I graduated, it wouldn't make a lick of a difference. My portfolio speaks for itself.

Oh and that professor didn't even know his own students. I hadn't been enrolled in a whole year and he called my cell phone asking when I was coming to set up my final thesis presentation in the gallery. DUDE I HAVEN'T BEEN ENROLLED IN YOUR SHIT FOR A YEAR AND YOU'RE ASKING WHEN I'M COMING SET MY SHIT UP?
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Southern Illinois University - Carbondale
2001-2005
Bachelor of Science - Automotive Technology

I'm a little bit OG on my path.
Went straight out of high school, knocked it out in 4 years, and went straight to Cummins. Been here ever since.

Edit for saluki
Last edited by 4zilch on Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

First 2 years at University of Illinois as a computer science major. This was back in the day when my high school computer classes still used punch cards and taught fortran and cobal, which I never really mastered. After running into a brick wall called calculus 2, I transferred to Northeastern Illinois University and got my BS in marketing.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
lagunasecaballs
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: All the E46 M3s

wap wrote:First 2 years at University of Illinois as a computer science major. This was back in the day when my high school computer classes still used punch cards and taught fortran and cobal, which I never really mastered. After running into a brick wall called calculus 2, I transferred to Northeastern Illinois University and got my BS in marketing.
This post leads me to believe that you are anywhere between 60 and 80 years old.
Johnny_P

Big Brain Bradley wrote:

OK class today we learn how to drink, text, and forum post while driving on a race track :stig:
Johnny_P

wap wrote:First 2 years at University of Illinois as a computer science major. This was back in the day when my high school computer classes still used punch cards and taught fortran and cobal, which I never really mastered. After running into a brick wall called calculus 2, I transferred to Northeastern Illinois University and got my BS in marketing.
WAP's first college computer:

wap

lagunasecaballs wrote:
This post leads me to believe that you are anywhere between 60 and 80 years old.
:(
wap

Johnny_P wrote:
WAP's first college computer:

We actually learned how to use those in grammar school! :lolol:
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Weren't punch cards and COBOL used well into the 80s? Ron could be under 50.