Career Chat

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
Desertbreh
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Fri May 22, 2020 5:41 pm

Johnny_P wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 5:37 pm
What would y'all do? Been a month on trumpemployment now. Taking forever to hear back from job apps, even if I have an "in" at the company and they're actively hiring. Don't want either of these jobs, I won't be happy in them long term. Take it and keep looking? Pass it up and ride out .gov bennies while trying to find my dream job as a stay at home astronaut?
:impressive:
Bender wrote: No one gives a shit about Virginia

razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Fri May 22, 2020 5:44 pm

Johnny_P wrote:
What would y'all do? Been a month on trumpemployment now. Taking forever to hear back from job apps, even if I have an "in" at the company and they're actively hiring. Don't want either of these jobs, I won't be happy in them long term. Take it and keep looking? Pass it up and ride out .gov bennies while trying to find my dream job as a stay at home astronaut?
I would say that you’d be better off taking tangible experience whether it is a step back or not. You can explain it during these crazy times “the pandemic caused a lot of job market adjustments, and I had a baby on the way, so my goal was to get myself into a position of stable income and maybe learn some new things in this role. My goal is always long term, so I don’t mind taking a step back to go 2 steps forward.”

:iono:

I’d value that job stability and income stability over having a long gap between work experience/employment and that unemployment bennies will eventually run out (including the $600 federal bonus).

But that’s just me. Like I said, you might hate it, but you might love it. You have some money saved away, and you lived pretty frugally before. Let your current savings earn you on investments while your new salary pays monthly obligations. Less responsibility may be a good thing because you can probably be a true 9-5 and spend time with family and baby.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:05 pm
DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.

Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Burble

Fri May 22, 2020 5:49 pm

razr390 wrote:
Johnny_P wrote:
I would say that you’d be better off taking tangible experience whether it is a step back or not. You can explain it during these crazy times “the pandemic caused a lot of job market adjustments, and I had a baby on the way, so my goal was to get myself into a position of stable income and maybe learn some new things in this role. My goal is always long term, so I don’t mind taking a step back to go 2 steps forward.”

I’d value that job stability and income stability over having a long gap between work experience/employment and that unemployment bennies will eventually run out (including the $600 federal bonus).

But that’s just me. Like I said, you might hate it, but you might love it. You have some money saved away, and you lived pretty frugally before. Let your current savings earn you on investments while your new salary pays monthly obligations. Less responsibility may be a good thing because you can probably be a true 9-5 and spend time with family and baby.
This chemical company expects 9 hr days as the norm from their salary people. Plus an hour drive to/from.... Every day is then 11 hours. Barf. But... pay and bennies. So theres that.

I really wish things pan out with this pharma company I briefly interviewed with this week. They're in a skyscraper downtown. 15 min commute, 30 mins less each day expected, 2 hours a day more with the fam.

Johnny_P

Fri May 22, 2020 5:50 pm

Desertbreh wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 5:41 pm
Johnny_P wrote:
:impressive:
I'm really good at video games. I think I'd be a great mars rover driver. :dillerman:

troyguitar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Toyota Ninja Turtle

Fri May 22, 2020 6:08 pm

Johnny_P wrote:
razr390 wrote:

This chemical company expects 9 hr days as the norm from their salary people. Plus an hour drive to/from.... Every day is then 11 hours. Barf. But... pay and bennies. So theres that.

I really wish things pan out with this pharma company I briefly interviewed with this week. They're in a skyscraper downtown. 15 min commute, 30 mins less each day expected, 2 hours a day more with the fam.
Don't forget lunch and traffic, easily 12+ hrs/day at that point. :disgust:

I'd at least take June to try to get an offer that you don't hate, you have trumpbux for several months right?

Johnny_P

Fri May 22, 2020 7:11 pm

troyguitar wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 6:08 pm
Johnny_P wrote:

Don't forget lunch and traffic, easily 12+ hrs/day at that point. :disgust:

I'd at least take June to try to get an offer that you don't hate, you have trumpbux for several months right?
Yeah trumpbux was extended a few extra months. The time commitment and fact that it’s just another run down shitty work environment isn’t really appealing. I’d ace the job. Basic bitch engineer position so I better ace it but still.

The incinerator place would be better overall but it’s working for that crappy staffing agency with their crap bennies and meh hourly rate. But more in line with where I want to take my career and wouldn’t appear to be Too much of a step down in rank. Would feel odd going hourly and 3rd party staff, in my experience those people are first to get canned if anything happens to company capital spend.

razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Fri May 22, 2020 8:49 pm

Johnny_P wrote:
razr390 wrote:

Obviously not ideal. My post wasn’t advice specific to a company buybratger my general thoughts re: job vs no job
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:05 pm
DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.

wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Fri May 22, 2020 10:08 pm

Johnny_P wrote:
My $.02
I'd take it because you need insurance for pending :baby: .
Keep looking for a better job and don't even mention this one on your resume. Any potential employer would/should understand an employment gap during Covfefe-19. If it comes up in an interview you can just say that you took something short term just to get by. I did something similar the last time I was unemployed. I took some short term (sometimes 1 day) gigs through a temp agency just to make some bux for a few months until I got my current job.
:wap: Where are these mangos?

wap

Fri May 22, 2020 10:09 pm

razr390 wrote:
Johnny_P wrote:

:notbad: advice.

Johnny_P

Fri May 22, 2020 10:25 pm

wap wrote:
Johnny_P wrote:
My $.02
Keep looking for a better job and don't even mention this one on your resume. Any potential employer would/should understand an employment gap during Covfefe-19. If it comes up in an interview you can just say that you took something short term just to get by. I did something similar the last time I was unemployed. I took some short term (sometimes 1 day) gigs through a temp agency just to make some bux for a few months until I got my current job.
Yeah that could work.

Bender
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Mario Kart

Sat May 23, 2020 12:12 am

Johnny_P wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 10:25 pm
wap wrote:

My $.02
Yeah that could work.
Take it. Options are going to get thinner and competition higher.
This is the worst kind of discrimination there is: the kind against me!

D Griff
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Brub Tub and Kamry \\W

Sun May 24, 2020 7:29 am

wap wrote:
Johnny_P wrote:
My $.02
:notbad: I know nothing of birthing babies but assume you’re basically fucked/bankrupt sans insurance? That would be the deciding factor for me.

Personally if there’s anything you’ve interviewed for that you prefer and haven’t heard from, I’d call them and be honest, let them know you have an offer in hand and are ready to start working but you’d rather come work for them. You’re playing your hand early from a negotiating stand point but you could wind up in a non crap job, worth risking an extra $5k annually or whatever IMO. I don’t much salary negotiation is going on at this point anyway.

wap

Sun May 24, 2020 10:55 am

Yea from what I understand it costs five figures to plop out a :baby: . And, God forbid, if there are complications that require more intense medical attention that figure could go up a LOT.

fledonfoot
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Sun May 24, 2020 10:04 pm

Johnny_P wrote:

My guys are scheduled 7-5 M-F and every fourth Saturday. When we come back from this lockdown mess, I’m going to rotate in a floating day off for the long week.

I’ve interviewed at dealers that schedule advisors 7-7 5 days a week, then 7-6 the following week when you work a Saturday, too. When I worked at Porsche, I would leave the house at 545am and get home at 715pm most days.

• Information