Home Security: Cameras to WiFi Settings

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Keeping our homes and families safe is a top priority for all of us; Unfortunately, petty thieves and sophisticated hackers alike may target us at any point and there are a few things that we can do to deter these efforts.

I'm interested in some of the measures that y'all are implementing, and feel that sharing them may benefit us collectively. I'm going to start documenting some of the moves being made to combat theft and fraud in 2021.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Paging :[user not found]:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

First on the agenda is the wifi router, am I the only bloke that has been running on default settings from the get-go? The numeric password of the router now has 13 digits with upper/lower case letters, numbers and symbols.

All bank passwords also updated.

It is a good idea to do this every few months, and I had a guy logged onto my router to install some security cameras. More on that later today.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:55 amPaging :[user not found]:
:dat: , I'll bet Rudy picked up a few good pointers in his current roll too.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

An affordable and somewhat decent quality Hikvision LTS DVR Compatible 2MP HD TVI Turret Dome Video 1080P camera is my cheap go-to solution for hardwired surveillance. They aren't great, but good enough for residential use. Night vision is surprisingly good.

I had five installed, with a sixth one pre-wired for in the garage.

My biggest concern is this door, a swift kick should be enough to bust it open. I need to think about making things more difficult, the cheapest thing that I can do is add a flood light for the :derp:

razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

I’ll contribute whatever knowledge I’ve gathered. I use the default password on my router but literally no one has ever accessed it.

As far as passwords go, I use a password manager (since I have an iTrude I just do it through iCloud Keychain) and it remembers my passwords across all of my Apple devices (2 macs, phone, etc). The passwords for sensitive stuff like banking I just keep randomized. Other places for shits and gigs I put my own.

We have a ring doorbell and a few cameras in our apartment. One in daughter’s room that acts like a baby monitor. Another in our kitchen that captures the balcony door. Should a break in happen, even if they come through the windows, most criminals will still exit through a door as it’s easier. So if you’re installing cameras. Make sure you get all exterior leading doors under coverage. Tar, you may have more specific needs since you BNB the beach house, so it’s good to put them wherever you feel damage or abuse of the house by guests may occur as well.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
razr390

You may be able to reinforce doors through the frame and deadbolt
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
razr390

I will beat this horse to death: get a dashcam for all household vehicles. Doesn’t have to be the best quality, but it should capture at least color/make/model/type of vehicle. Insurance is a bitch and being involved in the wrong place wrong time can add headaches to your life. Dashcam will help protect you if you are in the right.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

razr390 wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:30 am I’ll contribute whatever knowledge I’ve gathered. I use the default password on my router but literally no one has ever accessed it.

As far as passwords go, I use a password manager (since I have an iTrude I just do it through iCloud Keychain) and it remembers my passwords across all of my Apple devices (2 macs, phone, etc). The passwords for sensitive stuff like banking I just keep randomized. Other places for shits and gigs I put my own.

We have a ring doorbell and a few cameras in our apartment. One in daughter’s room that acts like a baby monitor. Another in our kitchen that captures the balcony door. Should a break in happen, even if they come through the windows, most criminals will still exit through a door as it’s easier. So if you’re installing cameras. Make sure you get all exterior leading doors under coverage. Tar, you may have more specific needs since you BNB the beach house, so it’s good to put them wherever you feel damage or abuse of the house by guests may occur as well.
This place can easily get B&E'd, but there really isn't anything worth stealing. The TV's are ghetto, appliances too big, and furniture can only be sold for pennies on the dollar. I am more concerned about my primary residence when we are out of town. We've had a break in at our old house, and it was uncomfortable. Wife never felt safe afterwards.

Rental properties are tricky, you can't monitor people inside the house and I don't want a camera pointing at guests when they are chilling on the deck. I have four cameras up and will soon be putting the fifth. For that property I've picked up Arlo, and as long as they are plugged into their AC chargers work fairly well. I've been drilling small holes through the garage walls to get AC power to the two up pointed at the driveway, one at the front door, and one on the side of the house closest to the entrance door (running on battery for now). The fifth one needs to get pointed down the other side of the house, which can also be powered up through the garage walls into an AC socket on the inside of the garage. I'll attach pics for :science:

Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

My next move will be to add motion sensor/flood lights to areas like the backyard. We have a pool, which apparently has been targeted by teenagers who jumped the fence for a late night dip. They damaged the liner by throwing patio furniture :fullretard: . All this occurred to the prior owners. Cameras are pretty subtle, so a motion sensing flood light should highlight that type of behavior. There are lots of brands, and they all probably work fine, so I'll pick two up but may consider something with WiFi feedback/controls.

Something like this might do the trick, but I'm not sure that it will be bright enough so I may keep looking for a product that runs on AC instead.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07T8NC6YR/?ta ... pbo-lca-20
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Come to think of it, :waxer: was into security hardware in every way. Collective knowledge between those two is missed.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Too bad shit has to be so political, it's cool having a wide spread of experiences and knowledge. :wrong:
razr390

The goal with any security is not to make yourself an impenetrable fortress, it’s just to make yourself more of a fortress than anyone else in your hood.

Most property crime is committed because the opportunity exists. Having an alarm, flood lights, camera, etc will only make someone more hesitant to commit the crime. But if someone really wants to b&e they will.
razr390

Tarspin wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:12 pm Come to think of it, :waxer: was into security hardware in every way. Collective knowledge between those two is missed.
:waxer: would’ve been like I have over 500 suggestions and they all go bang.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Tarspin wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:19 pm Too bad shit has to be so political, it's cool having a wide spread of experiences and knowledge. :wrong:
It’s hard when the party of “unity” and “compassion” is all about their way or :gtfo:
Apex
Drives: Abominable

razr390 wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:20 pm
Tarspin wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:12 pm Come to think of it, :waxer: was into security hardware in every way. Collective knowledge between those two is missed.
Belt. Fed. / :bread:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

razr390 wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:20 pm
:lolol: more like ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta!

That dude had at least one or more cameras that auto-pivot, face recognition and auto zoom, as well as live vision analytics bolted to his house. Money was no object when it came to home security, that shit is pretty cool to me.

You're :damnright: it's all about visual deterrents and not being the weakest link. I think that with the flood lights, I'll be where I want on that front. I'm going to checkout something that can communicate to an app on my phone.
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

Subscribed

My brother is in the market for a camera system but is not about being surveilled by companies or governments. He wants to be able to monitor real time when he goes out of town but doesn't really trust a company not to snoop and or sell information. Not sure how he will get around that.

I was thinking a system that would write to a hard drive that's backed up to the cloud. It wouldn't be real time but he could watch files close to real time if he set the camera to write files every 10 minutes or something.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Irish wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:52 pm Subscribed

My brother is in the market for a camera system but is not about being surveilled by companies or governments. He wants to be able to monitor real time when he goes out of town but doesn't really trust a company not to snoop and or sell information. Not sure how he will get around that.

I was thinking a system that would write to a hard drive that's backed up to the cloud. It wouldn't be real time but he could watch files close to real time if he set the camera to write files every 10 minutes or something.
Mine is hardwired to a DVR but optionally networked through some APP. I can get feedback through an app, but there are very few controls remotely, all the settings need to be done on the system.

I grabbed this DVR w/ 1TB drive. It is configured to record only motion triggered events, making it easier to review them. I'm still toying with it a lot. No idea how secure it is, TBH, which is why I'm beefing up my router settings.

https://www.infinitecables.com/security ... r-1x-sata/
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

[user not found] wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:57 pm
SAWCE wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:55 amPaging :[user not found]:
He gone.
:(
:butwhy: :doe:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I came across this motion sensor/flood light thingy, still want to investigate more products but it stands out with some decent app connection features.

https://www.versonel.com/bluetooth_light.html