Jaxper's Bathroom Renovation

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!
Jaxper
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: MK7 GTI

Long time in the works, but I'm finally done. All that's left is for the pros to install the shower door and marble slab for the barrier/step (replacing the un-mortared tile there currently) and to install the vent/light in the shower. I had the door guy come out to take measurements, just waiting on the quote and fabrication for it before they can do the install. The vent/light will go in once my wife stops getting COVID patients regularly (for a two week+ period) in order for my electrician buddy to come over and help/do the install for a case of beer.

Everything was DIY'd, with some helping hands along the way, with the exception of the plumbing for raising the showerhead approx 8". I had a plumber friend come over to do that since I didn't want to eff up the copper piping in place already. Almost everything, with the exception of the shower, was completed about two years ago in the span of a month to make it functional, then hit a few snags for the shower and the delay soured the work for me, so the shower was left unfinished for about a year and a half. Resumed work this year during COVIDtimes and, after a few delays along the way, I finished up within the last month.

Quick summary:
- Demoed the whole bathroom (aside from structure/walls) - help from wife
- New floor tile - help from buddy (electrician previously mentioned) with the mortaring, and from dad with the grouting
- New toilet
- New sink and countertop
- Repainted vanity and updated hardware
- Installed shiplap for accent wall
- Repainted remaining walls - help from wife
- Full tile shower with updated hardware
- New baseboard trim

Before:

After:

More pics in the following posts!
Last edited by Jaxper on Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The panda hath arrived.
Jaxper
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Updated with pics!

Hopefully they come through in a semblance of order to show the progression of the work.

The panda hath arrived.
Jaxper
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

The panda hath arrived.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Been following this on your snapfap. Totally 5/7 job!

And that ship lap accent wall is :muah: . It makes the room.

Well done dude.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Well done! I gutted a shower last year, it's not an easy task. Looks great though!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

:fuckyeah:

Outstanding transformation dude! I love seeing DIY stuff turn out so great. Excellent eye and good work!

We need to do a similar renovation where we remove a shower liner type thing and replace with tile. What did you put behind the tile on the walls and what's under the floor? A standard pan of some sort?
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Jaxper
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

wap wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:42 pm Been following this on your snapfap. Totally 5/7 job!

Well done dude.
Thanks! I agree on the accent wall - it really pulls it all together nicely.
Tarspin wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:28 pm Well done! I gutted a shower last year, it's not an easy task. Looks great though!
Thanks! You've got that right. I breezed through the rest of the room in a matter of a couple weekends. The shower alone was easily five times that, if not more!
Detroit wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:30 pm :fuckyeah:

Outstanding transformation dude! I love seeing DIY stuff turn out so great. Excellent eye and good work!

We need to do a similar renovation where we remove a shower liner type thing and replace with tile. What did you put behind the tile on the walls and what's under the floor? A standard pan of some sort?
If you have a fiberglass shower, like mine was previously, you'll most likely have to tear it down to the studs. The fiberglass showers are typically mounted to the studs with the sheetrock over the mount lip in order to create a seamless look. That said, I used a backer board called Kerdi Board by Schluter. Although a bit pricey, it was incredibly easy to work with. The liner on the exterior is waterproofed, but soft enough that you can cut through it with a utility knife. There's a ton of YouTube videos on how to create the shower with that.

For the base, I used a pan by Tile Redi. While great due to the curb being built into it and having it naturally sloped toward the drain (and obviously being tileable), Schluter also has a low profile board for the shower pan that would be worth looking into, if you want to go that route.

Good luck when you do it!
The panda hath arrived.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Jaxper wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:28 am
wap wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:42 pm Been following this on your snapfap. Totally 5/7 job!

Well done dude.
Thanks! I agree on the accent wall - it really pulls it all together nicely.
Tarspin wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:28 pm Well done! I gutted a shower last year, it's not an easy task. Looks great though!
Thanks! You've got that right. I breezed through the rest of the room in a matter of a couple weekends. The shower alone was easily five times that, if not more!
Detroit wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:30 pm :fuckyeah:

If you have a fiberglass shower, like mine was previously, you'll most likely have to tear it down to the studs. The fiberglass showers are typically mounted to the studs with the sheetrock over the mount lip in order to create a seamless look. That said, I used a backer board called Kerdi Board by Schluter. Although a bit pricey, it was incredibly easy to work with. The liner on the exterior is waterproofed, but soft enough that you can cut through it with a utility knife. There's a ton of YouTube videos on how to create the shower with that.

For the base, I used a pan by Tile Redi. While great due to the curb being built into it and having it naturally sloped toward the drain (and obviously being tileable), Schluter also has a low profile board for the shower pan that would be worth looking into, if you want to go that route.

Good luck when you do it!
:nice: Thanks dude! Project will probably start sometime in the next year or so. You've inspired me!
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

:impressive: I need to do a similar project soon..... especially since I am soon to be kinda sorta semi retired.....