Have you refinanced during the 'VID?

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

SAWCE wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:59 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:41 pm
Dang...seems sketchy...but I guess no risk no reward?
Yeah he went opposite of most people with his new monthly outlay being an extra $600/month or something, but that doesn’t seem too bad especially if he only buys one more property and pays straight cash for it. Will be interesting to see what he actually does with the money.
It's risky to assume that the value is going to stay high. By taking that much cash out of the house, if there's a drop like 08, he could be underwater fast. Then better hope the other investment was a good one...recipe to lose your ass IMO. BUT I'm super risk averse.

Considering investing in a rental property myself if the right deal came up, we'll see.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Detroit wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:02 pm
SAWCE wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:59 pm

Yeah he went opposite of most people with his new monthly outlay being an extra $600/month or something, but that doesn’t seem too bad especially if he only buys one more property and pays straight cash for it. Will be interesting to see what he actually does with the money.
It's risky to assume that the value is going to stay high. By taking that much cash out of the house, if there's a drop like 08, he could be underwater fast. Then better hope the other investment was a good one...recipe to lose your ass IMO. BUT I'm super risk averse.

Considering investing in a rental property myself if the right deal came up, we'll see.
Yeah for sure. I don’t think he pulled the full value out from both that he could have, so he left a little buffer.. but definitely risky like you said. He works for .gov though so at least his job should stay relatively secure.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Detroit wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:13 am
fledonfoot wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:56 pm Locked in yesterday and approved today at 2.949 for 25 years. Appraisal waived, drops to ~$6k in closing costs including escrow, and I get a ~$3k check back from current escrow account. Closing costs are rolled into the loan, and there’s no money out of pocket at closing.

Loan processor sent me a message today with one question about our previous address and how long we were renting there... (10 years)... and with that answer says “thanks for the cleanest and most complete file I’ve worked on this year... this should be EASY”.

Hopefully.

This has been super quick and easy with these guys. I’m impressed.
Wow, they waived appraisal? We got appraisal waived on our new house too. I'm amazed that this is becoming more common practice despite requirements for mortgages getting tighter. Guess they're not worried about house values as much as people's ability to pay the loan back? The people buying our old house had to get an appraisal, which is happening this week.

When we refi'd the old house in February, we had to get an appraisal. That was an extra $500 flushed down the toilet, but we were just under $3k in closing costs without escrow including the appraisal, so seems like that $3k closing cost number is right. With rates where they are, could be very advantageous to refi. Nice work!
Yeah, our original appraisal in 2014 was 205 and we purchased at 193. My neighbors just purchased the same floor plan, end unit townhouse we are in for 225 two years ago. Comps in the neighborhood are in the 230-245 range right now. We definitely bought it right.
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

We just signed papers today. Went from a 30 to a 15 year mortgage and knocked 2% off.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

We’re heading to closing now.

We submitted all the docs on Monday afternoon last week. Locked in the rate on Tuesday. Was out of underwriting and fully approved at 2PM on Friday.

Four days. Crazy fast.
ChrisoftheNorth

fledonfoot wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:46 pm We’re heading to closing now.

We submitted all the docs on Monday afternoon last week. Locked in the rate on Tuesday. Was out of underwriting and fully approved at 2PM on Friday.

Four days. Crazy fast.
:impressive:

I think there was a slow down in the mortgage industry. After months of quiet with my mortgage dealings, things started moving really fast last week for what seems like no reason. I'm OK with it, rates are still great.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Total closing costs were ~$3100, and ~$3200 to escrow. I had to bring $151 to close.

I skip the December payment and get a check for $2400 from the old escrow account putting $4100 in the bank to pay off the rest of the medical bills, before they start over again after surgery #2 in January.
ChrisoftheNorth

fledonfoot wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:04 pm Total closing costs were ~$3100, and ~$3200 to escrow. I had to bring $151 to close.

I skip the December payment and get a check for $2400 from the old escrow account putting $4100 in the bank to pay off the rest of the medical bills, before they start over again after surgery #2 in January.
:fuckyeah: man...that's awesome.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

Didn’t refinance during the 'vid but we bought so I guess it's a pandemic house. Ended up getting 2.87% on a 30 year fixed.

Mortgage for a 3 bed / 3 bath townhouse is the same as the rent for the 1 bedroom apartment. :fullretard:
ChrisoftheNorth

Our new house is cheaper per month than new studio apartments in the city we're moving from.

It's hard to qualify for mortgages right now, but if you can...the :dill: s are pretty epic.
Acid666
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

My refinance is currently on hold because these people are so fucking slow. They're really fucking me over right now.
We had a lull in work for a good few weeks, well they made me resubmit my last 2 bank statements and my last paystub. Of course that last paystub was less than prior. So now they're telling me I can't qualify unless my debt/income ratio is lower than 50%. It was at 54%. Even tho I had income for that month by selling a shit ton of bass gear, since it wasn't under a paystub it don't matter.
So I've now gotta wait for a couple of pay periods where my income is higher to resubmit and balance it out. YAY. Thanks fucktards. All of this was kosher before, but you guys had to delay it so damn much that now it's fucking me over.

I'm going on nearly month 3 with this shit, and their slow ass responses. I'm half tempted to just start getting more quotes out with another company and then when they hit me up asking if I'm ready to submit more paystubs and shit I'll just ignore them for a few days, followed by a "Oh I'm sorry, I've been backed up and responding to you guys wasn't really a priority. I've gone with another company y0. Peace!"

But I'm so close to closing once it's all said and done, I prolly won't even deal with the hassle of a new company.
ChrisoftheNorth

Acid666 wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:05 pm My refinance is currently on hold because these people are so fucking slow. They're really fucking me over right now.
We had a lull in work for a good few weeks, well they made me resubmit my last 2 bank statements and my last paystub. Of course that last paystub was less than prior. So now they're telling me I can't qualify unless my debt/income ratio is lower than 50%. It was at 54%. Even tho I had income for that month by selling a shit ton of bass gear, since it wasn't under a paystub it don't matter.
So I've now gotta wait for a couple of pay periods where my income is higher to resubmit and balance it out. YAY. Thanks fucktards. All of this was kosher before, but you guys had to delay it so damn much that now it's fucking me over.

I'm going on nearly month 3 with this shit, and their slow ass responses. I'm half tempted to just start getting more quotes out with another company and then when they hit me up asking if I'm ready to submit more paystubs and shit I'll just ignore them for a few days, followed by a "Oh I'm sorry, I've been backed up and responding to you guys wasn't really a priority. I've gone with another company y0. Peace!"

But I'm so close to closing once it's all said and done, I prolly won't even deal with the hassle of a new company.
:wtf: why is it taking so long? Makes no sense. Tough that you're this far down the path to switch, but hard to say if they'll ever get crap done. Sucks that according to my mortgage broker, rates are starting to tick up a bit so you'll want to act fast if you're going to :doit:
Acid666

Detroit wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:10 pm
Acid666 wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:05 pm My refinance is currently on hold because these people are so fucking slow. They're really fucking me over right now.

:wtf: why is it taking so long? Makes no sense. Tough that you're this far down the path to switch, but hard to say if they'll ever get crap done. Sucks that according to my mortgage broker, rates are starting to tick up a bit so you'll want to act fast if you're going to :doit:

We'll I'm still locked in at my rate. I'm on step 4 of 7. But sometimes I'll submit something and won't hear back from them for a whole week. Just getting started was a 2 week ordeal.

Step 1: Apply and Lock. COMPLETED
Step 2: Loan File Setup. COMPLETED
Step 3: Conditional Approval. COMPLETED
Step 4: Final Approval (Loan Processor)
Step 5: Closing Disclosure (Loan Processor)
Step 6: Doc Drawing (Doc Drawer)
Step 7: Loan Funding (Loan Funder)
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

My mortgage guy rocks. I just got the $151 check mailed back to me and a $50 gift card from Lowe’s in the envelope with it. The note said they were able to save a couple extra bucks in closing fees and the GC was to buy some new smoke detectors.

:notbad:
ChrisoftheNorth

fledonfoot wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:49 pm My mortgage guy rocks. I just got the $151 check mailed back to me and a $50 gift card from Lowe’s in the envelope with it. The note said they were able to save a couple extra bucks in closing fees and the GC was to buy some new smoke detectors.

:notbad:
:impressive: :fuckyeah:
ChrisoftheNorth

Acid666 wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:24 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:10 pm

We'll I'm still locked in at my rate. I'm on step 4 of 7. But sometimes I'll submit something and won't hear back from them for a whole week. Just getting started was a 2 week ordeal.

Step 1: Apply and Lock. COMPLETED
Step 2: Loan File Setup. COMPLETED
Step 3: Conditional Approval. COMPLETED
Step 4: Final Approval (Loan Processor)
Step 5: Closing Disclosure (Loan Processor)
Step 6: Doc Drawing (Doc Drawer)
Step 7: Loan Funding (Loan Funder)
Well, I know the industry was jammed up with demand for a while there, but the lack of activity is :impressive: Also not to be the bearer of bad news, but rate locks don't usually last longer than 30 days tops.

We had a 15 day rate lock to close on our new house, our broker claimed the shorter time resulted in a slightly lower rate.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:40 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:39 pm
Well, I know the industry was jammed up with demand for a while there, but the lack of activity is :impressive: Also not to be the bearer of bad news, but rate locks don't usually last longer than 30 days tops.

We had a 15 day rate lock to close on our new house, our broker claimed the shorter time resulted in a slightly lower rate.
I'm pretty sure we had a 60 day rate lock when we bought - due to a 60 day close. :iono:
I asked my broker about it and he claimed that the shorter the lock, the better the rate as the bank doesn't want to guarantee a rate for that long. He said locks can be implemented for as long as you want, but there's usually consequences in rate the longer the lock.

2.75 fixed for 30 years is still :mindblown: to me. He said if we did a 30 day lock (instead of 15), the rate would have gone up by .1 just for the longer lock. Same for putting 25% down instead of 20%.
Acid666

I'm nearly done with my refinance. Everytime I make progress, there's another step. Oh wait... Yeah we need to do this because of this. Ok great now that that's taken care of we need to run a this because of that. I started September 12th, and we're nearing Jan 1st.

I was ready to move to the next stage and had to resubmit my last pay stub. It was too low. Waited for next check, resubmitted along with my last 2 bank statements. Took a week for them to get back with me because "Oh hai sorrys, i was in training all week".

New check clears my debt/income ratio... "Ok cool, because you were in a hurricane we have to do a disaster inspection on your property to make sure it's not damaged. It'll be $150 and we can roll it into your closing"
"I had some shingles broken and am currently getting quotes to get a new roof, do you think it'll be affected?"
"I did confirm with my supervisor. And It may be “health and safety issue” due to the roof having some damage. Would you want to try to get that fixed before we send someone out? "
"Sure! Let me take on more debt and spend 3 months lining up a company to come and get me a new roof installed... And then you can then decline me because my debt to income ratio is too high! I'm all about adding more time and failure. "

At this point I tell her to place the order for the inspection. I will replace a large majority of the shingles myself that weekend and aim to get a new roof next year. I spend 7 hours on a Saturday replacing shingles (not fun work on a roof that's got tons of loose granuals)
She puts it in, 5 days later it passes.
Then I have to fill out a form saying that my property is not for sale.
And then they have to run another fucking credit check because my application was actually placed in Nov instead of Oct so they'd need to run a check in that month. Which could of totally been avoided if they had their shit together and were on time. I unfroze my credit with the big 3 for 60 days, thinking they'd be done by then... But I had go back and unfreeze all of them once again.

Hopefully this shit will be done after this step. If there's another hoop I have to jump through I'm going to mail them bags of Slap-ya-Mama seasoning and hope they get it in their fucking eyes.
ChrisoftheNorth

Banks are the worst with their random rules.

We got clear to close on our new house on a Thursday. We scheduled closing on Tuesday because it was the soonest the title company could get us in. On Monday, the bank said they were having difficulty getting a verbal confirmation of my employment and that we'd need to push closing back. WHAT ABOUT THE "CLEAR TO CLOSE"?

I had just been paid that Monday and sent them my paystub, which even indicated that I was an active employee. Not good enough. I had to get my HR rep to call the bank at 4:30 on Monday so I could close on Tuesday as scheduled. What in the actual fuck?

I'm glad my interest rate is 2.6% fixed for 30 years. I hope to not deal with another mortgage for a LONG time.
Acid666

HAI GUIZ! WE'RE ON THE LAST STEP! OH WATES! I FuRGOTs SomEthInGs!!!
Dear Barrett:
I apologize the underwriter is asking for 12 months history of payments on your HELOC since it isnt showing up on your credit report. I apologize they did not ask for this last time they reviewed. As well as a copy of the promissory note. Everything else on your file has been approved pending these. For the 12 months proof of payments this can be cancelled checks, bank statements or an account history from Lafayette public trust.

Breanna Knight
Loan Processor
Breanna@Aimloan.com
I swear. If they fucking ask for my blood type after this, I'm sending them a nice 3 paragraph email detailing how they've failed me with this 4 month refinance.
Seriously. We've been at the last step nearly 3 times, and it's been postponed over a month because of 1) their need for something else, and 2) their delays between emails. I'm honestly telling them to fuck off if there's one more hurdle. I don't give a fuck anymore. I'll take my business elsewhere and find another company to deal with just to spite these people and make all their work a waste of time.
ChrisoftheNorth

Acid666 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:35 am HAI GUIZ! WE'RE ON THE LAST STEP! OH WATES! I FuRGOTs SomEthInGs!!!
Dear Barrett:
I apologize the underwriter is asking for 12 months history of payments on your HELOC since it isnt showing up on your credit report. I apologize they did not ask for this last time they reviewed. As well as a copy of the promissory note. Everything else on your file has been approved pending these. For the 12 months proof of payments this can be cancelled checks, bank statements or an account history from Lafayette public trust.

Breanna Knight
Loan Processor
Breanna@Aimloan.com
I swear. If they fucking ask for my blood type after this, I'm sending them a nice 3 paragraph email detailing how they've failed me with this 4 month refinance.
Seriously. We've been at the last step nearly 3 times, and it's been postponed over a month because of 1) their need for something else, and 2) their delays between emails. I'm honestly telling them to fuck off if there's one more hurdle. I don't give a fuck anymore. I'll take my business elsewhere and find another company to deal with just to spite these people and make all their work a waste of time.
Woa that's a new one! I've never heard of them creating their own credit report like that. I'm starting to think that they don't want your business, this is ridiculous.
Acid666

New hurdle! I set a freeze window on my credit, Transunion was still open, but Experian wasn't. They had WEEKS to chek my credit before the window ran out and it defaulted back to frozen. They actually pinged my Transunion on Monday. Yesterday, late in the day I get this email.
HI Barrett,

When Shana re ran your credit, Experian was frozen. Can you please remove the freeze so she can rerun this again?
So I went to undo it. And saw the option to keep it locked but give a single use pin to a creditor. I decided to go this route to give them a quick shiv to the kidneys and hope that it irks them a little bit. Part of me is hoping that it doesn't work so I can open it up but then give them a reason to bitch.
In my email giving them the pin, which was short, I ended it with a stern "Let me know when we can finally get this closed out and completed."
Simple and to the point... Get your asses together people.
ChrisoftheNorth

Acid666 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:52 am New hurdle! I set a freeze window on my credit, Transunion was still open, but Experian wasn't. They had WEEKS to chek my credit before the window ran out and it defaulted back to frozen. They actually pinged my Transunion on Monday. Yesterday, late in the day I get this email.
HI Barrett,

When Shana re ran your credit, Experian was frozen. Can you please remove the freeze so she can rerun this again?
So I went to undo it. And saw the option to keep it locked but give a single use pin to a creditor. I decided to go this route to give them a quick shiv to the kidneys and hope that it irks them a little bit. Part of me is hoping that it doesn't work so I can open it up but then give them a reason to bitch.
In my email giving them the pin, which was short, I ended it with a stern "Let me know when we can finally get this closed out and completed."
Interesting. I know nothing about locking credit other than the last time I looked into it, it required calling people and fees and whatnot. Sounds like that's changed? I wish credit would default to locked and you had to give authorization to have a report run...just like you did.
Acid666

Detroit wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:34 am
Acid666 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:52 am New hurdle! I set a freeze window on my credit, Transunion was still open, but Experian wasn't. They had WEEKS to chek my credit before the window ran out and it defaulted back to frozen. They actually pinged my Transunion on Monday. Yesterday, late in the day I get this email.

Interesting. I know nothing about locking credit other than the last time I looked into it, it required calling people and fees and whatnot. Sounds like that's changed? I wish credit would default to locked and you had to give authorization to have a report run...just like you did.
It's literally just a couple of clicks to freeze it. I froze all 3 after that Equifax bullshit a couple of years ago.
You can lock it down, or you can open it up for a window with a date range. I gave these refinance people a 60 day window and they surpassed that.
One of them you might have to pay a few bucks for, but Equifax and Transunion were free.
ChrisoftheNorth

Acid666 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:20 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:34 am
It's literally just a couple of clicks to freeze it. I froze all 3 after that Equifax bullshit a couple of years ago.
You can lock it down, or you can open it up for a window with a date range. I gave these refinance people a 60 day window and they surpassed that.
One of them you might have to pay a few bucks for, but Equifax and Transunion were free.
Do you just go to each credit reporting authority website to do this?