Detroit Moves to the Woods?

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Detroit wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:18 am Well, looks like we have a deal struck...wife is drafting a formal offer as we speak.

House downstate isn't even listed yet and we've already got 3 interested parties just from wife putting out feelers. I think all this might happen really fast.

Wife also likes the idea of YouTube...our friends downstate really want to see the place, and her family in California have no idea what it's like up here. might give it a whirl just to stay in touch with friends and family.
:ohdang:
:popcorn:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:23 am bonus fact... HOA dues are $800/year to maintain the waterfront area, roads, and apparently tennis courts and hiking trails... $1k/year of you add a boat dock. Based on our research in the area, that's dirt cheap, and probably means we'll get a small boat at some point. we're basically on Lake Michigan, soooo it'll get used in the summer.
Commodore!
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

ok that looks pretty cool! I've been to Traverse City once and stayed in one of my dads house there, it was pretty nice. The area almost looks like Lake Tahoe like in the summer except for no mountains. Would 5/7 visit there again if I road trip to midwest.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:23 am bonus fact... HOA dues are $800/year to maintain the waterfront area, roads, and apparently tennis courts and hiking trails... $1k/year of you add a boat dock. Based on our research in the area, that's dirt cheap, and probably means we'll get a small boat at some point. we're basically on Lake Michigan, soooo it'll get used in the summer.
Capt. D!
:like:
wap

Apex wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:22 pm
Capt. TC!
:like:
FTFY
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Purchase agreement signed...now to sell the house downstate.

:mindblown:

It's surreal...
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Apex

Detroit wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:46 pm Purchase agreement signed...now to sell the house downstate.

It's surreal...
:fuckyeah: dude!
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Dplac is becoming a hobbit again?

:doit:
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:59 am Dplac is becoming a hobbit again?

Literally bought a house built into the ground. I make a weird Hobbit at 6'5, but I like the lifestyle. :ohwell:

We have two showings lined up for the house downstate and it's not even listed. Heading down today to fix a few things and stage. Wife had been posting all over social media in an attempt to find a buyer for FSBO, and it looks like it might be working. One family seems ready to go, so if we pull off a FSBO, :tits: will have made over a half year's salary in saved realtor commission.

There's not a single thing for sale in our neighborhood, and it's one of the most desirable in the metro Detroit area. We'll be close to being able to pay cash for the treehouse if it sells for the numbers being thrown around, but interest rates for mortgages are too low to ignore right now, and we need to cash for updates anyway.

This is nuts.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Also met with a realtor up here yesterday to check out a few things listed... and it's bad. He said people are moving up here from all over including NYC, Chicago, and Los Angeles. He's been a realtor for 20 years here and he said he's never seen it like this. People buying houses with cash without seeing them type crazy. We described our house and location to him as what we want and he said "good luck finding that in your price range, it doesn't exist."
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote:Also met with a realtor up here yesterday to check out a few things listed... and it's bad. He said people are moving up here from all over including NYC, Chicago, and Los Angeles. He's been a realtor for 20 years here and he said he's never seen it like this. People buying houses with cash without seeing them type crazy. We described our house and location to him as what we want and he said "good luck finding that in your price range, it doesn't exist."
So you're going to make epic bank even on your cabin in the woods? :alpo:
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

Holy Christ this is amazing...... you got pretty much exactly what you have been "pining" for, Chris..... good for you man!
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:16 am

Literally bought a house built into the ground. I make a weird Hobbit at 6'5, but I like the lifestyle. :ohwell:

We have two showings lined up for the house downstate and it's not even listed. Heading down today to fix a few things and stage. Wife had been posting all over social media in an attempt to find a buyer for FSBO, and it looks like it might be working. One family seems ready to go, so if we pull off a FSBO, :tits: will have made over a half year's salary in saved realtor commission.

There's not a single thing for sale in our neighborhood, and it's one of the most desirable in the metro Detroit area. We'll be close to being able to pay cash for the treehouse if it sells for the numbers being thrown around, but interest rates for mortgages are too low to ignore right now, and we need to cash for updates anyway.

This is nuts.
This is Aragorn.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
wap

Detroit wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:46 pm Purchase agreement signed...now to sell the house downstate.

It's surreal...
Whoa!
wap

This is nuts.
:bruh: This is so :fuckyeah:
:megusta:
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:50 am
Detroit wrote:Also met with a realtor up here yesterday to check out a few things listed... and it's bad. He said people are moving up here from all over including NYC, Chicago, and Los Angeles. He's been a realtor for 20 years here and he said he's never seen it like this. People buying houses with cash without seeing them type crazy. We described our house and location to him as what we want and he said "good luck finding that in your price range, it doesn't exist."
So you're going to make epic bank even on your cabin in the woods? :alpo:
Possible, but will come down to how much we dump into the place.

From our research, it's not so much the price point, but the house facts. Usually something with a view on land with privacy is a $500k+ 3k sqft+ bahemouth. We don't want that because it's just the two of us anyway, and we're over big houses. So it's a pretty rare/unique opportunity and it's hard to say what sort of value it's has.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

The whole wine host job and the lake view put the style points on this story to lift it over Brad's Airboat Ejection.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Tarspin wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:37 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:31 pm

I have lightly tried to convince :tits: we should move to the beach... she can't work remotely though, would need a new gig. :ohwell:
I could do beach life permanently too, especially in a climate that has a longer summer then mine. I guess you guys have awesome shorelines, what are prices for real estate like near them?
Very expensive to be water front but a block away or so is about the same as Charlotte where we are now, $300-600K for your average 1200-2K square foot place.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

This is nuts.
:impressive: :fuckyeah:

Nice man! This is truly awesome, happy for you guys.

in4morepics.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:07 am The whole wine host job and the lake view put the style points on this story to lift it over Brad's Airboat Ejection.
She unfortunately declined. Way too much chaos with moving to have her stuck to a work schedule right now. They told her to let them know when/if she's ready to work and they will likely have an opportunity for her, even if just for a few hours a week. Apparently finding people for the service industry is really difficult right now.

People came to look at the house yesterday weren't terribly serious it seemed. Photos being taken tomorrow, house is going on the market Wednesday. Realtor is confident that we'll get at least what we want for it, but it might take some time. Wife (who completed the real estate class, but can't take the test because COVID) is assisting with various listing activities, and our realtor is cutting us a break in fees as a result. 5/7 situation.

The last hurdle will be convincing the bank to give me a mortgage on the new house when we're moving so far away. We got a stellar mortgage broker who said he's successfully gotten loans through for people in our situation, so we'll see. He said it's super common right now, so it shouldn't be an issue especially with my credit and our cash situation (we'll likely be within $20k of being able to pay cash for the new place). Apparently most of his business at the moment is getting people mortgages who are moving from Detroit to TC. :lolol:

This weekend was a whirlwind of tying up loose ends at the house. All these little projects needed to be completed before listing. We're in a good spot, though I'm EXHAUSTED.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:15 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:07 am The whole wine host job and the lake view put the style points on this story to lift it over Brad's Airboat Ejection.
She unfortunately declined. Way too much chaos with moving to have her stuck to a work schedule right now. They told her to let them know when/if she's ready to work and they will likely have an opportunity for her, even if just for a few hours a week. Apparently finding people for the service industry is really difficult right now.

People came to look at the house yesterday weren't terribly serious it seemed. Photos being taken tomorrow, house is going on the market Wednesday. Realtor is confident that we'll get at least what we want for it, but it might take some time. Wife (who completed the real estate class, but can't take the test because COVID) is assisting with various listing activities, and our realtor is cutting us a break in fees as a result. 5/7 situation.

The last hurdle will be convincing the bank to give me a mortgage on the new house when we're moving so far away. We got a stellar mortgage broker who said he's successfully gotten loans through for people in our situation, so we'll see. He said it's super common right now, so it shouldn't be an issue especially with my credit and our cash situation (we'll likely be within $20k of being able to pay cash for the new place). Apparently most of his business at the moment is getting people mortgages who are moving from Detroit to TC. :lolol:

This weekend was a whirlwind of tying up loose ends at the house. All these little projects needed to be completed before listing. We're in a good spot, though I'm EXHAUSTED.
Fingers crossed it goes smoothly!

I think a ton of people must be doing similar or at least looking into it, although here in Charlotte more people still seem to be coming in, not leaving the city. Best of luck getting the mortgage done!
Irish
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

Definitely a sellers market here in the blessed lands.... Our neighbors place just sold in 4 days..... competing offers, well over ask.......
Apex

Detroit wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:15 pm

Full steam ahead!
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Yo ! Just found this ! Congrats on the house
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

It's surreal...
Whoah!