Lift pole.

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!

Which lift would you prefer if you were building your garage?

2 Post Lift
40%
4 Post Lift with Bridge Jacks
60%

Total votes: 5
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Trying to decide on the lift for the new garage and really can't make up my mind.

Thinking a 4 post is nice for storage, and not extending the vehicle suspension every time you lift it, and bridge jacks will still let you remove the wheels...

Maybe I'm overthinking this and the cheaper 2 Post options are perfectly fine... thoughts?
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:00 pm Trying to decide on the lift for the new garage and really can't make up my mind.

Thinking a 4 post is nice for storage, and not extending the vehicle suspension every time you lift it, and bridge jacks will still let you remove the wheels...

Maybe I'm overthinking this and the cheaper 2 Post options are perfectly fine... thoughts?
What's the price spread?
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:04 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:00 pm Trying to decide on the lift for the new garage and really can't make up my mind.

What's the price spread?
Actually, they are about the same base to baseat ~$4,000 but the bridge jacks are $1,500 each. to get all four wheels off the runways would be $3k as you would need two.

A benefit of the 4 post is not needing to bolt into the concrete, you can even put the 4 post on casters to move it around (my garage is going to be 48' x 20' with a 27 foot ceiling inside.

A benefit of the 2 post is you can get some more height on some units and more width between posts.

With the high ceiling I was thinking with a 4 post I can likely put a boat / trailer on the lift when I need to store the boat or trailer out of the way when it isn't needed.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:08 pm If you're working on the car, 2 post all the way. Way more room for moving around.

If you're intending it more for storage, 4-post.
Yeah, was set on the 2 post initially, but started thinking about the storage option mentioned above when/if needed.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:19 pm
[user not found] wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:08 pm If you're working on the car, 2 post all the way. Way more room for moving around.

Yeah, was set on the 2 post initially, but started thinking about the storage option mentioned above when/if needed.
Isn't it more likely that you will need the storage option than the accessibility to the under regions advantage of a two post? Unless you're going to switch gears and really start rebuilding older shit........four post.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

:dat:
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

If you actually work on it, 2 post all day. Friend of mine who does a lot of work got a used 4 post from a friend for a steal. I helped him with some miata work a while back and working in that gap between the two sides wasn't really fun. Access was a bit of a problem. Plus having to go thru other shit to get the wheels off the ground seemed like a hassle.
With the amount of air boating I do, I plan on going 2 post. You can mave that 4 post around. But in all reality you're probably only going to move it several times in the life of it. So I dont see it as much of an advantage because you're likely going to have a dedicated spot for it
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Personally I’d go two post, I’d rather have the ability to fix my things than store more things that may have issues. You’re more of a new car guy though so maybe 4 is more practical.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:17 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:04 pm

What's the price spread?
Actually, they are about the same base to baseat ~$4,000 but the bridge jacks are $1,500 each. to get all four wheels off the runways would be $3k as you would need two.

A benefit of the 4 post is not needing to bolt into the concrete, you can even put the 4 post on casters to move it around (my garage is going to be 48' x 20' with a 27 foot ceiling inside.

A benefit of the 2 post is you can get some more height on some units and more width between posts.

With the high ceiling I was thinking with a 4 post I can likely put a boat / trailer on the lift when I need to store the boat or trailer out of the way when it isn't needed.
I'd go 4 post with bridge jacks. I have a feeling you'd have something on a lift for storage far more than you'll be dropping a trans, or replacing control arms and axles and shit.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Are you parking under it regularly? If so, 4 post is the only way to go. 2 posts are a PITA to regularly get in and out of a vehicle because of post placement. My dad leaves vehicles stored on his 2 post for extended periods of time with no problem, so if it's just going to be a storage/working lift with no regular parking underneath, a 2 post could work. You'll also want to determine this before the concrete is poured, I had the slab poured a bit thicker for my garage to accommodate a 2-post just in case. They might already pour a thick enough slab, but you'd want to verify.

Also, the trailer benefit of 4 post. Trailers are not supposed to be lifted by the chassis like a 2 post lift does. Weight is designed to be carried by the wheels/axle, and that's it. I intend on buying a 4 post if we stay in our house to store the camper on.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:42 pm Are you parking under it regularly? If so, 4 post is the only way to go. 2 posts are a PITA to regularly get in and out of a vehicle because of post placement. My dad leaves vehicles stored on his 2 post for extended periods of time with no problem, so if it's just going to be a storage/working lift with no regular parking underneath, a 2 post could work. You'll also want to determine this before the concrete is poured, I had the slab poured a bit thicker for my garage to accommodate a 2-post just in case. They might already pour a thick enough slab, but you'd want to verify.

Also, the trailer benefit of 4 post. Trailers are not supposed to be lifted by the chassis like a 2 post lift does. Weight is designed to be carried by the wheels/axle, and that's it. I intend on buying a 4 post if we stay in our house to store the camper on.
Good info. I am still on the fence as a part time retirement project will be getting some cars to work on. Leaning to the 2 post for that.

My RV garage will have a 6" pad with the thought of lifts in mind when it was designed.
ChrisoftheNorth

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:57 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:42 pm Are you parking under it regularly? If so, 4 post is the only way to go. 2 posts are a PITA to regularly get in and out of a vehicle because of post placement. My dad leaves vehicles stored on his 2 post for extended periods of time with no problem, so if it's just going to be a storage/working lift with no regular parking underneath, a 2 post could work. You'll also want to determine this before the concrete is poured, I had the slab poured a bit thicker for my garage to accommodate a 2-post just in case. They might already pour a thick enough slab, but you'd want to verify.

Good info. I am still on the fence as a part time retirement project will be getting some cars to work on. Leaning to the 2 post for that.

My RV garage will have a 6" pad with the thought of lifts in mind when it was designed.
What sort of work are you looking to tackle? If it's something really involved like my C5 project, a 2 post is critical. If you really want to get deep into restoring something, I think a 2 post is the best tool you can ask for.

If you're just looking at minor restoration and maintenance, I think a 4 post with bridge jacks is the better buy because of versatility for parking underneath easier and trailer storage. The benefit of being able to move the lift around could be nice in your garage as well.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:10 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:57 pm

What sort of work are you looking to tackle? If it's something really involved like my C5 project, a 2 post is critical. If you really want to get deep into restoring something, I think a 2 post is the best tool you can ask for.

If you're just looking at minor restoration and maintenance, I think a 4 post with bridge jacks is the better buy because of versatility for parking underneath easier and trailer storage. The benefit of being able to move the lift around could be nice in your garage as well.
I have a line on an original (almost basket case) 1965 Mustang fastback K code that I might snatch up. It's going to need a TON of work including potentially replacing the floor pans. After really thinking about it this weekend I don't think a 4 post will give me the most options. I may get a 4 post for one bay of the 3 car garage later... I believe the 3 car garage has 12' ceilings, but need to confirm.
ChrisoftheNorth

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:59 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:10 pm

I have a line on an original (almost basket case) 1965 Mustang fastback K code that I might snatch up. It's going to need a TON of work including potentially replacing the floor pans. After really thinking about it this weekend I don't think a 4 post will give me the most options. I may get a 4 post for one bay of the 3 car garage later... I believe the 3 car garage has 12' ceilings, but need to confirm.
Yea, you're going to want a 2-post if you're doing restoration work to that level. Would be a ton of fun!

4 posts don't need a lot of ceiling height. 12' would do just fine.