Dat Grass Doe

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

I have been doing a lot of research on grass. Not the fun kind.

It turns out that it is expensive (way more than the fun kind).

Currently, the yard is mostly weeds. It's green and covered but it's like 10% fescue, 90% shit. I am thinking of buying up Zoysia plugs and putting them relatively close together in some sections where we plan to remove pine needles/dirt in favor of grass and spread further apart in the existing green part of the yard.

Curious to hear grass stories of DFD. ANyone have a sick lawn?
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

D Griff wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:06 pm I have been doing a lot of research on grass. Not the fun kind.

Currently, the yard is mostly weeds. It's green and covered but it's like 10% fescue, 90% shit. I am thinking of buying up Zoysia plugs and putting them relatively close together in some sections where we plan to remove pine needles/dirt in favor of grass and spread further apart in the existing green part of the yard.

Cheapest way is to seed, maybe twice if needed. Kill as many weed clusters as possible. Takes 3-4 weeks to come in.

Fastest way is to kill everything, level yard and sod.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Call someone who does that stuff, pay them to do it. :wasteful:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:28 pm Call someone who does that stuff, pay them to do it. :wasteful:
Endorsed.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

D Griff wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:06 pm I have been doing a lot of research on grass. Not the fun kind.

My lawns were always shit until I had irrigation put in. With VID19 I'd put my own system in, they are simple contraptions.

Secondly, to get a nice lawn on the cheap keep adding grass seeds, eventually they will take over the area assuming that the conditions are good (right sunlight, right amount of water, right drainage.

Labor portion, pull weeds and spill some grass seeds in the holes left behind. Add fertilizer, the dry Scott's Turf Builder is 5/7. Do this for two years and you'll have a great lawn.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Interested in this subject. Vast sections of my lawn have become shit in the past couple of years due mostly to excessive shade from several large, mature oak trees, and tons of pine needles from many pine trees. I had the trees pruned, twice, to let in more sunlight but it didn't help. I've also been putting Scott's shade seed (the blue stuff) down in recent years with very limited success, and I lost all last summer to recovering from by butchery so it's looking worse than ever. :( I'm seriously considering putting gravel down over large swaths of my "lawn" and putting a fire pit in the middle and being done with it, but I'd really prefer a lawn. I'm going to try again this year once the weather stabilizes and just put down tons of seed and see what happens.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

is this thread about weed?
brain go brrrrrr
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:37 pm is this thread about weed?
Nah breh. It's about zoisa.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:39 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:37 pm is this thread about weed?
Nah breh. It's about zoisa.
:wtf:
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Unpopular opinion, but the wife and I have really come to love clover in grass. It's the lazy way to a green grass.

Many view it as a "weed" but it's always green, very drought tolerant, naturally fertilizes the soil, slow growing, and over time it crowds out other weeds. We planted a mix of clover and grass at our last house, and it turned out really nice...like a natural carpet look. Many people complimented us on it.

We over seeded our current front yard with clover and grass seed, and it's coming in nicely.

One thing...you mention pine needles. Do you have a pine in your yard? If so, you'll never get grass to grow under/around where it drops needles. We have a few massive pines in our back yard, and it's just needles and dirt underneath...I suspect the sap from the pine needles does something to the ground that prevents grass growth. We're considering giving up and installing a paver patio outside eating are there instead.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

My grass still hasn't recovered from the flood. It's all covered in some sort of vegetation, and it's all the same shade of green when I mow it. :aintcare:
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Wocka Wocka
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Nothing Good

Melon wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:20 am My grass still hasn't recovered from the flood. It's all covered in some sort of vegetation, and it's all the same shade of green when I mow it. :aintcare:
Dis, minus the flood. I just don't have the time to super care about the yard. Should put down some seed the next week or two :doe:
wap

Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:52 am Unpopular opinion, but the wife and I have really come to love clover in grass. It's the lazy way to a green grass.

Many view it as a "weed" but it's always green, very drought tolerant, naturally fertilizes the soil, slow growing, and over time it crowds out other weeds. We planted a mix of clover and grass at our last house, and it turned out really nice...like a natural carpet look. Many people complimented us on it.

We over seeded our current front yard with clover and grass seed, and it's coming in nicely.

One thing...you mention pine needles. Do you have a pine in your yard? If so, you'll never get grass to grow under/around where it drops needles. We have a few massive pines in our back yard, and it's just needles and dirt underneath...I suspect the sap from the pine needles does something to the ground that prevents grass growth. We're considering giving up and installing a paver patio outside eating are there instead.
i probably have >15 pine trees all around my property. I've heard (dunno if it's true) that pines make the soil too acidic for grass to grow. I planted a shit ton of hostas under one pine a few years ago and they seemed to do ok so 2 years ago I started putting more of them under other pines. We'll see how well they do. If most of them come in this year I'm going to plant a bunch more under them and may end up doing gravel everywhere else. :notsure: :doe:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:52 am Unpopular opinion, but the wife and I have really come to love clover in grass. It's the lazy way to a green grass.

:nice: I am with you , I really don’t care what it is as long as it’s green. My biggest desire is covering bare spots and some areas where the weeds are rather shitty. There are a few areas where we’ve pulled back our mulch too, and would like grass instead.

@wap, good to know on the hostas, planning to pick some up.

Weirdly we don’t have any pines in our yard, they’re really common here in most places.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Hastas have no issues growing under our pines. They can get F****** huge too. They grow back every year with zero effort
wap

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:17 pm Hastas have no issues growing under our pines. They can get F****** huge too. They grow back every year with zero effort
Pretty much :dat:
And there are many verities of hostas too so you can get different looks depending on which you choose. I haven't done much of this myself, but it's something I'd like to do.
wap

[user not found] wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:37 pm Per my landscaper friend, look into the Scott’s 4-step process for fortifying your lawn.

https://www.scotts.com/en-us/library/la ... ep-program
I already pay a service to do this. I get 6 treatments/year.