Zilchaus - pinshitting in the foothills

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

4zilch wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:35 pm The other option is to re-arrange the vent with additional 90’s (or flex tube) without disturbing the haus outlet and move that cabinet away from the back wall.
I'd be hesitant to change the flow of the vent...you don't want that thing being too restricted.

Also, notching out the cabinet will just eat into your precious storage space. :nope:

If you have the space to go above, you have an opportunity for additional storage below the cabinets.

:popcorn:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Detroit wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:12 am
4zilch wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:35 pm The other option is to re-arrange the vent with additional 90’s (or flex tube) without disturbing the haus outlet and move that cabinet away from the back wall.
I'd be hesitant to change the flow of the vent...you don't want that thing being too restricted.

Also, notching out the cabinet will just eat into your precious storage space. :nope:

If you have the space to go above, you have an opportunity for additional storage below the cabinets.

:popcorn:
:word:

If I had the motivation and the tools to do a proper c-notch, I’d do it. And I played around with some flexible vent pipe just to see what might be possible, but I can’t get the radii tight enough without restricting the pipe more than I’m comfortable with..so any changes there are going to required modification and/or relocation of the existing exhaust outlets, and considering I can make a platform with about $20 of lumber in about 20 minutes, that’s the route I’m going to go. I can always go back and consider the other options later on.

Edit: these cabinets can be mounted on the wall, so I may not even need to build a platform if the studs are conveniently located
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Updates:

Fence is done, although they didn’t set the posts for the gate at the correct width, so they gotta come back and redo it.

Garage update. It’s coming along. Added 2 outlets yesterday, one up high and one under the bench. I’m going to cut the slat wall around the outlet above the workbench.

Current cabinet situation: decided to maneuver the trailer into the corner with the dryer vent and put the 4th cabinet on a different wall. Gonna try to get the slat wall up today, then overhead cabinets, then the overhead storage.

As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

looking great
brain go brrrrrr
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:11 am looking great
:dat:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Cabinets are done.

Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

4zilch wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:31 pm Cabinets are done.

Sick! :jelly:
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

:nice:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Looks amazing. What did you do with the dryer vent?
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:33 am

Looks amazing. What did you do with the dryer vent?
Left it where it was and parked the trailer over it. See Monday’s post
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Shelving update.

These arent that hard to install, they just take some patience in measuring out/locating studs. You basically construct them on the wall. Install the rear brackets, then rear rail, side rails, hang the cable, then install the front.

Fair warning to those considering something like this, this kit isn’t super flexible if your studs aren’t exactly 16 or 24”. Ive lucked out so far, but would’ve never gotten this installed in my old house without putting up stud connectors.

Side note: during all of this I discovered that the builder didn’t insulate the exterior walls which is lame considering they’re finished. I’ll fill them with cellulose at some point.

4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Finished the shelves today. Had to make a few adjustments with the layout as I went due to stud and joist layouts that I hadn’t anticipated. All in all super happy though.

Also, a mountain of cardboard.

stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '04 R32, '90 Miata, '17 CB300F

4zilch wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:48 am Side note: during all of this I discovered that the builder didn’t insulate the exterior walls which is lame considering they’re finished. I’ll fill them with cellulose at some point.
I'm pretty sure there are several new walls in our place that the contractors didn't insulate. Why else would the laundry room off the garage always be cold AF. I will have to look into this.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

stripethree wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:34 am
4zilch wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:48 am Side note: during all of this I discovered that the builder didn’t insulate the exterior walls which is lame considering they’re finished. I’ll fill them with cellulose at some point.
I'm pretty sure there are several new walls in our place that the contractors didn't insulate. Why else would the laundry room off the garage always be cold AF. I will have to look into this.
it's pretty typical to not insulate outdoor spaces such as garage or attached storage. my garage is not insulated.
brain go brrrrrr
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:35 am it's pretty typical to not insulate outdoor spaces such as garage or attached storage. my garage is not insulated.
:fax: Good point. I have given up on the idea that the jackasses that did the work did anything beyond bare bones on this house. It all looks nice, but they cut so many corners. I won't clog up Zilch's thread with more bellyaching though.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:35 am
stripethree wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:34 am

it's pretty typical to not insulate outdoor spaces such as garage or attached storage. my garage is not insulated.
I understand this, but if you’re taking the time to finish the walls, the cost to insulate is negligible. Also finished garage in Indiana was insulated.

Perhaps it’s a southern thing.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

4zilch wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:54 am

I understand this, but if you’re taking the time to finish the walls, the cost to insulate is negligible. Also finished garage in Indiana was insulated.

I suspect it is a southern thing. my finished but not insulated (besides the door) garage stays pretty decent temperature wise on all but the hottest and coldest days
brain go brrrrrr
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

4zilch wrote:
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:35 am it's pretty typical to not insulate outdoor spaces such as garage or attached storage. my garage is not insulated.

Our KY garage was finished and not insulated, neither in the walls or the ceiling. It was on my list to fix if we didn't move.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:39 pm

I suspect it is a southern thing. my finished but not insulated (besides the door) garage stays pretty decent temperature wise on all but the hottest and coldest days
Yeah, and where you’re at you can get away with it, particularly in the winter. We’re in that transition zone where it gets below freezing over night regularly but is prett mild during the day.

I’m also already turning into a bitch in cold weather
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

4zilch wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:56 pm I’m also already turning into a bitch in cold weather
Well when Sno is done with her fancy shmancy job y'all can come further south. You know the food is good, the people are okay, and the summers in full moto gear will have you sweat all the meat and booze right off.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

stripethree wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:02 pm
4zilch wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:56 pm I’m also already turning into a bitch in cold weather
Well when Sno is done with her fancy shmancy job y'all can come further south. You know the food is good, the people are okay, and the summers in full moto gear will have you sweat all the meat and booze right off.
I have empirical evidence that suggests otherwise
brain go brrrrrr
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

stripethree wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:02 pm
Austin isn’t 10 minutes away from Foothills :doe:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

It's a classic cost cutting maneuver on spec homes. To anyone with the smallest sense of the benefits it provides it is ridiculous not to do it though.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Garage is mostly done. Old tool boxes are empty and the tools are put away in the new ones. And most of the things that are going into the overhead shelves are there. I’ve still got about 1.5 2x8 shelves open plus the space you see open above the workbench.

troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Looks like you need another garage for the cars?