Wasteful tears apart the Pov Mahal

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Yeah, it's possible to burn up the motor but I have never seen one actually fail. When they get hot they use more current until the breaker trips - generally before any real damage is done. Mechanically agitating the thing (ideally with a wrench), while running cold water through it to keep it cool, and flipping the breaker is the most I have ever had to do.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:13 pm
wap wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:02 pm
Re the garbage disposal, there should be a breaker reset button on the bottom that you can hit to see if power is restored to the unit. The breaker can trip if the blades get clogged with shit. Also on the bottom of the unit there should be a hex fitting to insert an allen wrench to :manuel: ly turn the blades to try to free up anything that may be stuck in there. Alternately you can try putting something like a paint stirrer down into it from the sink to try to turn the blades for the same effect if you don't have the allen wrench that should have come with the unit.
:dat: :dat: :dat:

Went over to a friend's apartment a few years ago, and the kitchen WREAKED. Asked them what's up and they said the garbage disposal was broken and the landlord wasn't in a hurry to fix it. Reach under and flip the switch, turn it on and it grinds up a bunch of crap and everything flushed down. They were :mindblown: since it went from completely DEAD to working like a champ. Something must have jammed it up and softened up as it sat in sludge for a few weeks.

:gag: :disgust:
:gag:
But :fuckyeah: that you showed them the easy fix.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:53 pm
wap wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:46 pm

What AC did you get? Have yet to find a truly quiet window or wall unit.
It’s a GE, 8k size.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/GE-8000-BTU-Pr ... 1001824506

I wanted one of the LG dual inverter units as they’re supposedly super quiet but the smallest I could find was a 15k, and that’s just way too big and too much power draw for the room and circuitry.

I have no clue if this one has smart functions and I’ll never use them if it does.
Does it have an ON button? That's all I've ever needed out on any A/C.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

The pro tip that I hadn't ever thought about, though in hindsight it's obvious, is that you should always run COLD water when running the disposal. The water is what cools the motor.
wap

troyguitar wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:23 pm The pro tip that I hadn't ever thought about, though in hindsight it's obvious, is that you should always run COLD water when running the disposal. The water is what cools the motor.
Yep. I distinctly remember the instructions that came with the one that I installed said to only run cold water through it, though it didn't say that keeping the motor cool was the reason, but that makes sense.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:02 pm
Re the garbage disposal, there should be a breaker reset button on the bottom that you can hit to see if power is restored to the unit. The breaker can trip if the blades get clogged with shit. Also on the bottom of the unit there should be a hex fitting to insert an allen wrench to :manuel: ly turn the blades to try to free up anything that may be stuck in there. Alternately you can try putting something like a paint stirrer down into it from the sink to try to turn the blades for the same effect if you don't have the allen wrench that should have come with the unit.

Went over to a friend's apartment a few years ago, and the kitchen REEKED. Asked them what's up and they said the garbage disposal was broken and the landlord wasn't in a hurry to fix it. Reach under and flip the switch, turn it on and it grinds up a bunch of crap and everything flushed down. They were :mindblown: since it went from completely DEAD to working like a champ. Something must have jammed it up and softened up as it sat in sludge for a few weeks.

Same guy that needed you to reset his GFCI switch? Spelling police arrived. Wreak havoc. Poo reeks.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:37 pm

Went over to a friend's apartment a few years ago, and the kitchen REEKED. Asked them what's up and they said the garbage disposal was broken and the landlord wasn't in a hurry to fix it. Reach under and flip the switch, turn it on and it grinds up a bunch of crap and everything flushed down. They were :mindblown: since it went from completely DEAD to working like a champ. Something must have jammed it up and softened up as it sat in sludge for a few weeks.

Same guy that needed you to reset his GFCI switch? Spelling police arrived. Wreak havoc. Poo reeks.
Nah, different dude actually. People are dumb AF these days.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:35 pm
troyguitar wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:23 pm The pro tip that I hadn't ever thought about, though in hindsight it's obvious, is that you should always run COLD water when running the disposal. The water is what cools the motor.
Yep. I distinctly remember the instructions that came with the one that I installed said to only run cold water through it, though it didn't say that keeping the motor cool was the reason, but that makes sense.
I had a plumber tell me that the reason is actually so stuff doesn't soften and stick to the sides/blades/plumbing. Cold water actually helps flush things better, which seems counter intuitive, but maybe makes sense?

I actually believe the cooling aspect more than anything.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Detroit wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:21 am

I had a plumber tell me that the reason is actually so stuff doesn't soften and stick to the sides/blades/plumbing. Cold water actually helps flush things better, which seems counter intuitive, but maybe makes sense?

Depends what you’re trying to flush down.
wap

I think you're right, actually, at least when it comes to putting things like grease down the drain. If you send it with hot water it'll liquefy only to solidify down in the drain once it cools off, which could easily block the trap. Whereas if you send it down with cold water it's already more solid in the form of droplets that'll just get washed all the way through. I just pour the grease into a a jar I keep under the sink and throw it out when it's full. I always joke that I'm gonna put a wick down in the jar to make a :gag: candle and when it's full wrap it up and give it as a gift. :lolol:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:53 pm

I think you're right, actually, at least when it comes to putting things like grease down the drain. If you send it with hot water it'll liquefy only to solidify down in the drain once it cools off, which could easily block the trap. Whereas if you send it down with cold water it's already more solid in the form of droplets that'll just get washed all the way through. I just pour the grease into a a jar I keep under the sink and throw it out when it's full. I always joke that I'm gonna put a wick down in the jar to make a :gag: candle and when it's full wrap it up and give it as a gift. :lolol:
Ron Broham Holiday Candle. :notbad:
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:08 pm

Candle of the month club?

:excited:
wap

PM me your address and you'll get one for Christmas!
wap

Detroit wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:05 pm

I'll send one to your treehouse, too! :lolol:
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:11 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:05 pm

I'll send one to your treehouse, too! :lolol:
:fuckyeah:
Johnny_P

Microwave fixed by fabbing a custom metal bracket with some scrap laying around.

Garbage disposal is donezo, guys. It works sometimes, buzzes sometimes, and when it runs it shakes everything. I can turn it freely with the allen key, the power reset works sometimes but mostly doesn't do anything. It's a goner.

Bedroom is whatever. Can't use the fan, it wakes up the kiddo. The advantage to that room is the newer window AC we put in, which is great. We aren't even using the closets... no time with the kid to dedicate to pointless shit like hanging clothes.

Center bedroom is now a nursery/office combo. Eventually will just be his room, but we are doing dual duty until we get the back bedroom turned into something more useful than a storage shed for furniture that I cannot fit down the basement steps. Thinking it will eventually have a futon and bookshelf and be a little reading nook / play area / guest room.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:04 am Microwave fixed by fabbing a custom metal bracket with some scrap laying around.

Garbage disposal is donezo, guys. It works sometimes, buzzes sometimes, and when it runs it shakes everything. I can turn it freely with the allen key, the power reset works sometimes but mostly doesn't do anything. It's a goner.

Bedroom is whatever. Can't use the fan, it wakes up the kiddo. The advantage to that room is the newer window AC we put in, which is great. We aren't even using the closets... no time with the kid to dedicate to pointless shit like hanging clothes.

Center bedroom is now a nursery/office combo. Eventually will just be his room, but we are doing dual duty until we get the back bedroom turned into something more useful than a storage shed for furniture that I cannot fit down the basement steps. Thinking it will eventually have a futon and bookshelf and be a little reading nook / play area / guest room.
Well, things don't last forever, but at least swapping a disposal should be an easy job... assuming the current one was installed correctly.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:11 am
Johnny_P wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:04 am Microwave fixed by fabbing a custom metal bracket with some scrap laying around.

Well, things don't last forever, but at least swapping a disposal should be an easy job... assuming the current one was installed correctly.
Should be easy. I did the install on this one, it's just that it's about 50 years old and worn out.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:13 am
Should be easy. I did the install on this one, it's just that it's about 50 years old and worn out.
Nice. Will be simple then.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Waste King L-3300 Garbage Disposal with Power Cord, 3/4 HP https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0014X7B5E/re ... sFbBDE6Z7P

I did one of these last year. I’m impressed.
Johnny_P

fledonfoot wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:45 pm

Waste King L-3300 Garbage Disposal with Power Cord, 3/4 HP https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0014X7B5E/re ... sFbBDE6Z7P

I did one of these last year. I’m impressed.
That’s a reasonable price. :notbad:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

So you're eligible for Social Security? :math:
Johnny_P

Desertbreh wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:48 pm

Kitchen was redone 3 yrs ago. They kept the old disposal. Sink had to get replaced when the brand new counter top cracked. Counter guys reinstalled the top. I installed the sink and disposal.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:58 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:48 pm

Kitchen was redone 3 yrs ago. They kept the old disposal. Sink had to get replaced when the brand new counter top cracked. Counter guys reinstalled the top. I installed the sink and disposal.
Ours shit the bed a couple of years ago. started leaking out the bottom. I said eff it and bought one of those insulated 1hp things. She's mean. She's quiet.
wap

:dat:
Installing a new disposal is pretty straightforward when the power and plumbing are already there from the old one.