Wasteful tears apart the Pov Mahal

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:30 pm
wap wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:58 pm

I vote for option 2 all the way. You'll really like your own private bathroom and it's got to add value to your :haus:

Would you still do the wardrobes too?
Yeah the wardrobes would happen either way. Not sure which wall they'd go on in option 2.
Where you show them in #1 makes sense to me.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

Random thought.
Have you thought at all about doing a partial DIY to save some scratch? I know you can afford it but $30k is not a small amount. As an example, several years ago we put a small bathroom (shower stall, sink, toilet) in my mom's basement. We designed and drew it out ourselves then hired a plumber to rough in the plumbing, which included jack hammering into the basement floor to run drain pipes that they then tied into the existing stack pipe. It took them about 3 days to do the rough in then they left for a few weeks while bro and I framed out the room, did the drywall, painted, tiled, etc. Then we called the plumbers back and they installed the shower pan, sink, and toilet. Then we did the shower glass walls and door and all the finish work, towel bars, etc. It saved us probably half the cost of having them do everything and the stuff we did we really pretty simple and straightforward and most likely something the 2 of you could do as well, especially since you already have a bathroom so there's no need to get it done immediately.

:wrong: , I know, but just a suggestion.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

wap wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:19 pm Random thought.
Have you thought at all about doing a partial DIY to save some scratch? I know you can afford it but $30k is not a small amount. As an example, several years ago we put a small bathroom (shower stall, sink, toilet) in my mom's basement. We designed and drew it out ourselves then hired a plumber to rough in the plumbing, which included jack hammering into the basement floor to run drain pipes that they then tied into the existing stack pipe. It took them about 3 days to do the rough in then they left for a few weeks while bro and I framed out the room, did the drywall, painted, tiled, etc. Then we called the plumbers back and they installed the shower pan, sink, and toilet. Then we did the shower glass walls and door and all the finish work, towel bars, etc. It saved us probably half the cost of having them do everything and the stuff we did we really pretty simple and straightforward and most likely something the 2 of you could do as well, especially since you already have a bathroom so there's no need to get it done immediately.

:wrong: , I know, but just a suggestion.
Yeah I think we'd do our own demo. Maybe our own electrical but not sure on code requirements for that. I have a few friends that have done this and I could call in a favor. Plumbing, tile, and drywall I'd leave to experts. But nothing is difficult with plumbing. I know some muchachos that are excellent with drywall and work for hoagies so we're good there.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Man, option 2 all the way if it can work with the layout. You'll get every dime of that back out when you sell...or at minimum it'll sell way easier because you'll have one of the only houses in the area with 2 bathrooms (one in the master). Everyone LOVES bathrooms with the master, so that's a win.

You can do a ton yourself, but I'd consult a structural engineer before you move forward with anything. Someone that really knows houses and loads. Taking out walls, and adding tile/shower/tub stuff adds a considerable amount of weight and shifting in loads, so you'll want to make sure you're good with whatever you do.

Other than that, you'd be surprised how much you can do yourself. PEX is stupid easy to work with for plumbing, electrical is easy...even drywall while a pain, I've found to be a great skill to learn in the long run. Tiling isn't hard, BUT it's easy to make ugly, so I'd probably farm that out for your first go.

BTW, we did Ikea Pax in our first two houses, and it's a fantastic system. 5/7 would recommend.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:01 am Man, option 2 all the way if it can work with the layout. You'll get every dime of that back out when you sell...or at minimum it'll sell way easier because you'll have one of the only houses in the area with 2 bathrooms (one in the master). Everyone LOVES bathrooms with the master, so that's a win.

You can do a ton yourself, but I'd consult a structural engineer before you move forward with anything. Someone that really knows houses and loads. Taking out walls, and adding tile/shower/tub stuff adds a considerable amount of weight and shifting in loads, so you'll want to make sure you're good with whatever you do.

Other than that, you'd be surprised how much you can do yourself. PEX is stupid easy to work with for plumbing, electrical is easy...even drywall while a pain, I've found to be a great skill to learn in the long run. Tiling isn't hard, BUT it's easy to make ugly, so I'd probably farm that out for your first go.

BTW, we did Ikea Pax in our first two houses, and it's a fantastic system. 5/7 would recommend.
Yeah I think it would make the house easier to sell.

I might be able to call in more favors for new walls and such.
Johnny_P

So we are going with just redoing the bedroom, no bathroom, and add in the ikea wardrobes built into the one wall where the shrine is. Remove the disgusting cardboard tile ceiling and install a drywall ceiling.

Demo started. Here’s the shrine in question.

Made out of rock lath and cement apparently. Yay. This will be fun to demo. The wallboard panels weigh a ton.

Drop ceiling gone. Yo dawg I heard you like ceilings so we put a ceiling in your ceiling.

I ripped almost all the plaster down at this point because about 85% of it failed and was sagging just resting on the drop ceiling beams.

What’s under the plaster ceiling? This is the void between the roof and the OG ceiling. Yay knob and tube!

Brick wall shared with my neighbor. There’s like 4’ of space up there.

One wall board off. And now we get to a real problem.

Johnny_P

So the problem. If you look at the last pic, the wall board removal... you can see I saw cut it to get it off. These are like 4x8 sheets, just tacked onto those studs (which are nailed hardcore into the brick/plaster wall behind). It should have been easy to take off but I couldn't get the damn thing out. This was when the drop ceiling was still in place so I had no idea what to expect really.

Come to find out I couldn't remove the top part of that panel because the drop ceiling beams were anchored into it. The beam you can just see running across the top in that pic is ONLY nailed into the wood paneling wall. It's not anchored into the brick. This drop ceiling was installed after the wood panels were put up, and just nailed to those panels.

I was hoping to reuse that framework and just install drywall onto it but it's not nearly strong enough, and it's got to come off to get the fucking wood panels off. So that drop ceiling framework is all but useless. GOTS TO GO, DOE.

So slap the drywall onto the plaster/lath ceiling? I don't think it's strong enough either. It's also not level. The plaster was also failing. So plaster gone, not a level ceiling, and hanging like spider man from thinned out pieces of 2x4. And knob & tube wiring.

So what would you guys do with the ceiling? Would you reinforce and level or sister the plaster/lath joists and insulate and then drywall it? Or would you demo that framework too, and while you're at it, raise the ceiling to get a 10' or so in this room? I guess anchor it to the brick walls and just frame out a new ceiling from scratch at that point? Or maybe hang it from the rafters but with a more robust system?
Johnny_P

Just to add, this is one continuous ceiling from front of house to back, apparently. I'm not touching shit in the other rooms because they're popcorn ceilings.
wap

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:54 pm So the problem. If you look at the last pic, the wall board removal... you can see I saw cut it to get it off. These are like 4x8 sheets, just tacked onto those studs (which are nailed hardcore into the brick/plaster wall behind). It should have been easy to take off but I couldn't get the damn thing out. This was when the drop ceiling was still in place so I had no idea what to expect really.

Come to find out I couldn't remove the top part of that panel because the drop ceiling beams were anchored into it. The beam you can just see running across the top in that pic is ONLY nailed into the wood paneling wall. It's not anchored into the brick. This drop ceiling was installed after the wood panels were put up, and just nailed to those panels.

I was hoping to reuse that framework and just install drywall onto it but it's not nearly strong enough, and it's got to come off to get the fucking wood panels off. So that drop ceiling framework is all but useless. GOTS TO GO, DOE.

So slap the drywall onto the plaster/lath ceiling? I don't think it's strong enough either. It's also not level. The plaster was also failing. So plaster gone, not a level ceiling, and hanging like spider man from thinned out pieces of 2x4. And knob & tube wiring.

So what would you guys do with the ceiling? Would you reinforce and level or sister the plaster/lath joists and insulate and then drywall it? Or would you demo that framework too, and while you're at it, raise the ceiling to get a 10' or so in this room? I guess anchor it to the brick walls and just frame out a new ceiling from scratch at that point? Or maybe hang it from the rafters but with a more robust system?
If I'm understanding you right, I'd do the bolded and be done with it.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

I see you're using my PovMahal Moniker :megusta:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

In4pics
Johnny_P

First ceiling down.

Second ceiling plaster all down and working on the lathe.
Johnny_P

Most of the rock lathe off. It’s a little further along than this pic as this is a few days old.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

wap wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:48 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:54 pm So the problem. If you look at the last pic, the wall board removal... you can see I saw cut it to get it off. These are like 4x8 sheets, just tacked onto those studs (which are nailed hardcore into the brick/plaster wall behind). It should have been easy to take off but I couldn't get the damn thing out. This was when the drop ceiling was still in place so I had no idea what to expect really.

If I'm understanding you right, I'd do the bolded and be done with it.
:dat:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P

Hired a contractor. Going to be like $15k. :waxer: Good thing I'm unemployed.

Gonna loft the ceiling to 12'. Insulate the shit out of everything. Get rid of all knob and tube. So it'll be done right. All plaster is out, it's down to studs now.

Front bump out on the second floor, all of the caulking between the siding and bricks failed. All of it. I don't know how we never had massive water damage. This old house "has good bones" yeah right, it's a piece of shit we should have walked away from years ago. Oh well.
wap

Johnny_P wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:00 pm Hired a contractor. Going to be like $15k. :waxer: Good thing I'm unemployed.

Gonna loft the ceiling to 12'. Insulate the shit out of everything. Get rid of all knob and tube. So it'll be done right. All plaster is out, it's down to studs now.

Front bump out on the second floor, all of the caulking between the siding and bricks failed. All of it. I don't know how we never had massive water damage. This old house "has good bones" yeah right, it's a piece of shit we should have walked away from years ago. Oh well.
Good call on the contractor.
Need update pics :doe:
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

12 foot ceiling! :fuckyeah: :wasteful:
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:00 pm 12 foot ceiling! :fuckyeah: :wasteful:
Right?! It’s going to be amaze.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Finding and fixing the potential water leakage was worth hiring a pro. Tack it on the LOC! Hope your guys are good :like:
Johnny_P

This was as far as I could take it myself. 2500 lbs of bullshit moved by just me. I couldn’t do more.
Johnny_P

Electrician yesterday: You're all done!

Checks work, finds 2 outlets not working.

Electrican today: OK I fixed it you're all done!

Checks work, finds he killed the line to the basement lighting and the heater.

:disappoint:
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:19 am Electrician yesterday: You're all done!

That’s ridiculous. Wait until he’s actually all done and then blast that shit on yelp/google reviews.
wap

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:19 am Electrician yesterday: You're all done!

:rage:
Johnny_P

SAWCE wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:35 am

That’s ridiculous. Wait until he’s actually all done and then blast that shit on yelp/google reviews.
Well, it's fine really, I'll just let the GC know the electrican they picked kinda sucks and he needs to fix what he broke before they pay him.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:01 pm Image

This was as far as I could take it myself. 2500 lbs of bullshit moved by just me. I couldn’t do more.
Johnny's favorite hobby was shaking out pieces of his inner city home on his morning walk.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.