Griffdog House Search

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:07 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:29 pm
Car in the street helps big time IMO. I HATE parking on the street, so I'm a bit different in my priorities there.

Hopefully will work out 5/7 for you man. Everything else seems to be there with this thing, so that's what matters most I guess. Seems like this is 90% of the way to a perfect house, just sucks that the last 10% is the critical one for you. I just hate seeing a brother compromise...especially since I have so many times on the same exact feature.
I'm excited about it, walking distance to friends as well as MTB trails is pretty epic for me, especially since I'll be WFH going forward. I look forward to working on the car in the port, we shall see if :disappoint: ensues. If so I think I'll just plop the steel building garage out back for $7K and call it a day. As for the street parking, :aintcare: as it's a low risk dead end street and the car is insured. :poorvette: will live in the carport.
Have you confirmed the "plop steel building in back yard" option as viable? Cities can be ridiculously restrictive with what you can do in this regard.

Also, $7k for something you can fit cars in? :lolgasm: You're looking at $7k worth of concrete work at a minimum. You can't just drop a structure on grass breh. Don't assume anything less than $50k to build something that you can put cars in. I know I'm :wrong: here because I'm the only one on the forum to have taken on this project that I know of. I'm sure everyone has friends that built 7 car garages for a case of natty light and $10k in cash. It's not real :doe: .

Unless things are way cheaper by you than here, which is possible...but I think you need to write off the viability of adding a structure that fits cars.

BUT

Walking distance to shit, MTB trails, etc...that's all seriously :fuckyeah:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

I like the house and yard! Congrats dude.

I'd try and close/extend the car port somehow when the time comes.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:35 am
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:28 am Gastropublife>cars
Griff has made it clear that this isn't his priority. Cars are life. It's an interesting move that I suspect was all in favor of keeping :tits: happy. Which is fine, but I'm a bit concerned it'll result in :| or :haus: :plac: at the end.

I've moved 2 houses now in part because I hated the garages (both houses at least HAD garages), and when we bought our current house, I checked with the city and zoning for what I can do to build a garage before buying the house. For me, a garage isn't so much for car storage anymore, but things. And it's critical.

Jeeps, bikes, kayaks, camper, etc, etc. It's more than just a place to wrench IMO.

I wish Griff all the best in the new house. Location sounds fantastic, so at least there's that. I just think the priority shift will be tough...just more of the same, but more "stuck" because of mortgage and whatnot.
Location LOOKS fantastic. A right and a left and there you are, downtown Charlotte. That would not suck. A garage means a lot to me as well, but if you're going to pry it out of my hands, marital bliss and EZ accessibility to happy hour(s), a fair number of parks, in the mix of things is a good way to do it. Do keep in mind that, contrary to many DFDers, Griff inherently likes the human race so fuck it. Griffdog, send me a pic of some poutine, happy hour beers, Panther sportsball and those big ol titties on your GF. Wrap that rascal for a while doe. This all comes crashing down if you start pumping out the CF.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:38 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:35 am
Griff has made it clear that this isn't his priority. Cars are life. It's an interesting move that I suspect was all in favor of keeping :tits: happy. Which is fine, but I'm a bit concerned it'll result in :| or :haus: :plac: at the end.

I've moved 2 houses now in part because I hated the garages (both houses at least HAD garages), and when we bought our current house, I checked with the city and zoning for what I can do to build a garage before buying the house. For me, a garage isn't so much for car storage anymore, but things. And it's critical.

Jeeps, bikes, kayaks, camper, etc, etc. It's more than just a place to wrench IMO.

I wish Griff all the best in the new house. Location sounds fantastic, so at least there's that. I just think the priority shift will be tough...just more of the same, but more "stuck" because of mortgage and whatnot.
Location LOOKS fantastic. A right and a left and there you are, downtown Charlotte. That would not suck. A garage means a lot to me as well, but if you're going to pry it out of my hands, marital bliss and EZ accessibility to happy hour(s), a fair number of parks, in the mix of things is a good way to do it. Do keep in mind that, contrary to many DFDers, Griff inherently likes the human race so fuck it. Griffdog, send me a pic of some poutine, happy hour beers, Panther sportsball and those big ol titties on your GF. Wrap that rascal for a while doe. This all comes crashing down if you start pumping out the CF.
Agreed. I've enjoyed the houses we lived in despite the shitty garages for the reasons above. But it definitely was a large part of what made me stop caring about fun cars. Priorities change based on your environment IMO, and this house is not at all conducive for car activities. All other activities are absolutely :fuckyeah: so it's probably worth it in the end, but something is going to give.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:59 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:38 pm

Agreed. I've enjoyed the houses we lived in despite the shitty garages for the reasons above. But it definitely was a large part of what made me stop caring about fun cars. Priorities change based on your environment IMO, and this house is not at all conducive for car activities. All other activities are absolutely :fuckyeah: so it's probably worth it in the end, but something is going to give.
All fair points except the Griffdog has been the Griffdog and he's NEVER had a garage. First @ PhiDelta Crotchgrab, then at the GF's townhouse, then at the apartment. So it's not like he's downgrading. He can get a big ass garage when he enters the Brad Bitterness Vortex.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:06 pm
All fair points except the Griffdog has been the Griffdog and he's NEVER had a garage. First @ PhiDelta Crotchgrab, then at the GF's townhouse, then at the apartment. So it's not like he's downgrading. He can get a big ass garage when he enters the Brad Bitterness Vortex.
:impressive:
ChrisoftheNorth

I wasn't much different from him either...I was the moran with 4 broken cars (88 944, 93 240 wagon, 95 XJ, 09 MKV) shuffling around the street in an apartment off 1st st in LBC for years.

Now I'm building a "big ass garage" and don't even care about fun cars anymore.

Priorities change.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:21 pm

I wasn't much different from him either...I was the moran with 4 broken cars (88 944, 93 240 wagon, 95 XJ, 09 MKV) shuffling around the street in an apartment off 1st st in LBC for years.

Priorities change.
:dat:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:21 pm

Priorities change.
:wub:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Don't listen to us Griffdog. You have the potential to be funner longer than any of the rest of us Wilford Brimley motherfuckers.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

D Griff wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:07 am In4 :wrong: ... we bought that house: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/711- ... 6783_zpid/ (under contract).

It was really the only decent place we could afford in the area that's preferred. I think I'll actually enjoy the carport and it'll work for wrenching and such, but may add a garage or steel building later on, or could extend/enclose the carport.

This house has lots of epic things that I think are worth it:
-mountain biking trails in walking distance
-light rail to city in walking distance and only a few miles to downtown
-tons of nightlife, restaurants, auto parts store, pretty much everything crazy close
-epic yard
-plenty of storage for tools, bikes, etc.
-low maintenance/move in ready

Ultimately a house with a yard > townhouse for a lot of reasons and living in the sticks is not for me at this phase of life.

:wrong: :wrong: :wrong:
:wrong: :triggered: :wrong:
:ohdang: Congrats, dude! If it's worth it to you, then you'll make it work. Should be fairly easy to enclose that car port.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:42 am So we are going into this full bore now, working on getting a loan and looking at some :haus: this weekend. A bit of backstory: :tits: purchased a townhouse up in Northern County 'burbs back in 2014. I moved in in 2017 and was pretty :nope: at living 20 miles from everything, and once she got a job in the city center, she agreed. It was sold in late 2018 and we moved into a one bedroom apartment. Fortunately the townhouse depreciated quite a bit under her ownershit and in a strike of real :alpo: luck, she got a nice chunk of change despite buying a house with zilch down. We have also managed to save a good bit and as such are in a decent spot down payment wise, we have about $70K we are OK with offloading for this purchase. Budget wise, we are trying to stay under $330K or so, could spend more but we'd like to maintain our lifestyle of travelling, track day bro-ing, :hibachi: , avo toast, PSL...

Criteria:
-garage (my thing, this is a must)
-nice/open kitchen (her thing, this is a must)
-3+bed/2+bath
-in-town location not in the sticks/no epic commutes
-some kind of pleasant outdoor area to hang out in
-walking distance to a few things is a plus
-low maintenance is a plus

We are looking at a few things Saturday:
New build out walking distance to light rail which goes to downtown and some other cool 'hoods. She could also commute on the light rail but def wouldn't. Very close to my shithole office: https://www.centex.com/homes/north-caro ... lsrc=aw.ds

Probably our favorite right now - 2017 townhome, can walk to a huge park with running, disc golf, etc. plus a bar, Starbux, etc: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4008 ... 5531_zpid/

1960s ranch characteristic of Charlotte, quite nice but these places are getting pricey fast and they tend to be tiny and garageless: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/711- ... 6783_zpid/
:notsure: how far we got on this... but Townhomes are a :nope: especially if the price points are comparable to SFHs, the townhomes usually have HOAs and appreciate far slower than single family homes...

Also if you can afford to get a place, I guess it doesn't make total sense to wait, but you can't look at it from a "payment" perspective. You're loading in 50-70k in CASH, that could be earning you interest... You're also loading up on taxes that. Home ownershit without appreciation is quite expensive.

Ex. 350k house.... 4% interest 15k a year in interest...
50k can earn you $1250 annually @ 2.5 % which is the current CD rate.
2% prop taxes 7k
that's 23.25k in SUNK costs... $1900 a month... so unless your house is appreciating you're LOSING 23k a year... so your house needs to appreciate by around 6% a year to break even. And I am not even talking about maintenance and repair which as a renter you're not responsible for.

I think a lot of people right now are buying into the sheeple mentality of GET RICH QUICK LOOK ALL HOUSES APPRECIATE 10-20% a year, the last 5 years were a fking anomaly, and all projections I have looked at are about 1-4% appreciation tops... So unless you HAVE TO HAVE IT NOW, wait... otherwise... good luck my friend.
max225

D Griff wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:07 am In4 :wrong: ... we bought that house: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/711- ... 6783_zpid/ (under contract).

It was really the only decent place we could afford in the area that's preferred. I think I'll actually enjoy the carport and it'll work for wrenching and such, but may add a garage or steel building later on, or could extend/enclose the carport.

This house has lots of epic things that I think are worth it:
-mountain biking trails in walking distance
-light rail to city in walking distance and only a few miles to downtown
-tons of nightlife, restaurants, auto parts store, pretty much everything crazy close
-epic yard
-plenty of storage for tools, bikes, etc.
-low maintenance/move in ready

Ultimately a house with a yard > townhouse for a lot of reasons and living in the sticks is not for me at this phase of life.

:wrong: :triggered: :wrong:
Well shit :gaydance: Congrats breh! At least 300k isn't that high of a price so, world is not going to end if shit hits the fan for 20-30%
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:52 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:42 am So we are going into this full bore now, working on getting a loan and looking at some :haus: this weekend. A bit of backstory: :tits: purchased a townhouse up in Northern County 'burbs back in 2014. I moved in in 2017 and was pretty :nope: at living 20 miles from everything, and once she got a job in the city center, she agreed. It was sold in late 2018 and we moved into a one bedroom apartment. Fortunately the townhouse depreciated quite a bit under her ownershit and in a strike of real :alpo: luck, she got a nice chunk of change despite buying a house with zilch down. We have also managed to save a good bit and as such are in a decent spot down payment wise, we have about $70K we are OK with offloading for this purchase. Budget wise, we are trying to stay under $330K or so, could spend more but we'd like to maintain our lifestyle of travelling, track day bro-ing, :hibachi: , avo toast, PSL...

Criteria:
-3+bed/2+bath

New build out walking distance to light rail which goes to downtown and some other cool 'hoods. She could also commute on the light rail but def wouldn't. Very close to my shithole office: https://www.centex.com/homes/north-caro ... lsrc=aw.ds

Probably our favorite right now - 2017 townhome, can walk to a huge park with running, disc golf, etc. plus a bar, Starbux, etc: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4008 ... 5531_zpid/

1960s ranch characteristic of Charlotte, quite nice but these places are getting pricey fast and they tend to be tiny and garageless: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/711- ... 6783_zpid/
:notsure: how far we got on this... but Townhomes are a :nope: especially if the price points are comparable to SFHs, the townhomes usually have HOAs and appreciate far slower than single family homes...

Also if you can afford to get a place, I guess it doesn't make total sense to wait, but you can't look at it from a "payment" perspective. You're loading in 50-70k in CASH, that could be earning you interest... You're also loading up on taxes that. Home ownershit without appreciation is quite expensive.

2% prop taxes 7k
that's 23.25k in SUNK costs... $1900 a month... so unless your house is appreciating you're LOSING 23k a year... so your house needs to appreciate by around 6% a year to break even. And I am not even talking about maintenance and repair which as a renter you're not responsible for.

I think a lot of people right now are buying into the sheeple mentality of GET RICH QUICK LOOK ALL HOUSES APPRECIATE 10-20% a year, the last 5 years were a fking anomaly, and all projections I have looked at are about 1-4% appreciation tops... So unless you HAVE TO HAVE IT NOW, wait... otherwise... good luck my friend.
More cold hard math from Vladivostok.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Who has 2% property taxes? CA is 1.1%, NC is 1.2%.

NY is 4.5% fucking fuckface fuckers...
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

:225: :math: also doesn't take into account that you have to live somewhere and that's going to cost at least $10k a year if you rent, more like $20k+ if you want a halfway decent place.
Last edited by troyguitar on Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:52 pm

Criteria:
-3+bed/2+bath

2% prop taxes 7k

Definitely agree on all points. From what I've noticed most people my age are in one of two camps:
1. Housing increases ridiculously in value at an insane rate! You're stupid not to buy a house and you'll never build wealth without it!
2. The housing increases in the past decade are fucking insane and we are about to experience a 2008 style :nuke: .

If I was a betting man, I'm thinking they stagnate a bit for a couple of years and then rise at a more normal rate of 3-5% annually. We passed on the townhouse thing for mainly the reasons you cite - seems like much higher risk plus additional sunk cost of ownershit in $150-350/month :bs: fees. Interest/taxes on this house are less/month than rent and if anything gains in value in Charlotte, it should be this area. This city is growing like crazy.

It would kind of make more sense to continue renting IMO, but :tits: really wants to own and had the main pile of cash, plus the place we are renting is not good for either of us and rentals have gone up like $300/month since last year. :disgust: Renting a place that isn't a one bed apartment and even had a driveway would be $2K/month or so...

:iono: this whole process has been not all that fun, look forward to just getting into the house and being done with it. It's interesting how much of a gamble it all feels like... but craps in LV is more fun.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

:dat:

I have lived the :poorvette: life through two different apartments, one townhouse and one gaybro rape shack. This will be far and away the best situation I've ever had. One thing I've learned in life is that it's really easy to get better shit and really tough to step back down to worse shit. Right now this feels like a pretty baller upgrade to anywhere else I've ever lived, which have all been 100% decided on by :scrooge: .
max225

troyguitar wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:12 pm Who has 2% property taxes? CA is 1.1%, NC is 1.2%.

NY is 4.5% fucking fuckface fuckers...
The "official" ca rate is .9-1.2% I am paying 1.55% by my own calculations. There are areas within cali where I am currently looking that is 1.8%+ so the total out of pocket varies greatly by city. I was assuming around 2% for NC. But I don't know what the real rate is.
max225

troyguitar wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:14 pm :225: :math: also doesn't take into account that you have to live somewhere and that's going to cost at least $10k a year if you rent, more like $20k+ if you want a halfway decent place.
The house costs 24k in taxes and interest. Which builds 0 value, which is equivalent to renting. He can "rent" for 2k and experience the same luxuries I am sure.

I would be shocked if you can't rent a comparable place for 2k in NC. That said I get "owning" and :tits: mentality. Having a nagging thing that keeps talking about how her HS friends are all moving into homes :pinshit: 'ing etc, is NOT worth the hassle.

The possible :doomed: and gloom scenario has limited risk because a 330k house is cheap.
Last edited by max225 on Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
max225

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1153 ... 9897_zpid/
$1795 a month
Even has a :gay: rage

But that is neither here nor there.
max225

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/9431 ... 4204_zpid/

Fuck I need to move... 2k a month for ALL that.

Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:25 pm
troyguitar wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:14 pm :225: :math: also doesn't take into account that you have to live somewhere and that's going to cost at least $10k a year if you rent, more like $20k+ if you want a halfway decent place.
The house costs 24k in taxes and interest. Which builds 0 value, which is equivalent to renting. He can "rent" for 2k and experience the same luxuries I am sure.

I would be shocked if you can't rent a comparable place for 2k in NC. That said I get "owing" and :tits: mentality. Having a nagging thing that keeps talking about how her HS friends are all moving into homes :pinterest: 'ing etc, is NOT worth the hassle.

The possible :doomed: and gloom scenario has limited risk because a 330k house is cheap.
:micdrop:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:28 pm https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1153 ... 9897_zpid/
$1795 a month

$3060/year in taxes for a house we're paying $322K for FWIW. Those rentals are not in a comparable area at all... could buy a house down there for $322K with a c=two car garage and 2X the square feet.
max225

D Griff wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:36 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:28 pm https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1153 ... 9897_zpid/
$1795 a month

$3060/year in taxes for a house we're paying $322K for FWIW. Those rentals are not in a comparable area at all... could buy a house down there for $322K with a c=two car garage and 2X the square feet.
How are your prop taxes sub 1%? :impressive:

That makes purchases far more appealing.
Last edited by max225 on Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.