Griffdog House Search

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

If I were a single guy I'd be getting a shittier quality house in an area on rapid rise (which there are plenty here), but :tits: ain't living in some house with a shit kitchen or gun shots in the night. And that is plenty fair, I'm not living in a house without a garage.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:04 pm If I were a single guy I'd be getting a shittier quality house in an area on rapid rise (which there are plenty here), but :tits: ain't living in some house with a shit kitchen or gun shots in the night. And that is plenty fair, I'm not living in a house without a garage.
I did the "rapid rise" thing when I bought the house in Detroit. It sucked. 0/7 would do that again. Area is critical.

Garage is a must. Good kitchens are as well. Once you have one, you'll see the importance too.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

I have nothing useful to add, other than I'm :jelly: and support the townhouse idea as long as it has a 2 car garage. Try to get one that's side by side. Tandem parking SUCKS
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:06 pm I have nothing useful to add, other than I'm :jelly: and support the townhouse idea as long as it has a 2 car garage. Try to get one that's side by side. Tandem parking SUCKS
Very good point. Many newer townhomes use tandem 2 car garages because they're somewhat easier to fit and still count as "2 car".

That would be no bueno IMO.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:06 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:04 pm If I were a single guy I'd be getting a shittier quality house in an area on rapid rise (which there are plenty here), but :tits: ain't living in some house with a shit kitchen or gun shots in the night. And that is plenty fair, I'm not living in a house without a garage.
I did the "rapid rise" thing when I bought the house in Detroit. It sucked. 0/7 would do that again. Area is critical.

Garage is a must. Good kitchens are as well. Once you have one, you'll see the importance too.
Well rapid rise in Charlotte versus Detroit is kind of different. :lolol: But point is noted. We have a nice kitchen now and did at her townhouse too :aintcare: for me at all, I'm cool with all 1950s fixtures if it all works and I've cleaned it.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:44 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:27 am

Good, just wanted you to think about it.

I'd definitely consider pumping the brakes until after December. Wait to see how bad this October correction we are stairing in the face comes to fruition
What is the "October correction"?
Usually a flat market and profit taking, but nearly every major market crash starts in October.
brain go brrrrrr
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:36 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:44 am

What is the "October correction"?
Usually a flat market and profit taking, but nearly every major market crash starts in October.
:caspian:
troyguitar

Where are you wanting to be specifically? This just showed up in my email, probably too far out for you.

https://www.viewcharlottehomes.com/home ... ebb21ca88e

Seems like a good combo of townhouse and real house. :wrong:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Also....I like this "Griffdog"
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:46 pm Where are you wanting to be specifically? This just showed up in my email, probably too far out for you.

:notbad:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth

Is this really that surprising? If you buy a house you can't afford, you can't afford it. Period.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:46 pm Where are you wanting to be specifically? This just showed up in my email, probably too far out for you.

That is :nice: but :tits: won't go for that location... pretty far out.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:33 pm
Is this really that surprising? If you buy a house you can't afford, you can't afford it. Period.
:dat: typical :fax:

:iono: I guess I'm more "dumb" than many on the forum but this is more of a play to actually enjoy where we live than to make some epic investment, we have retirement savings and such. There may be a dip, sure, but it's unlikely that CLT prices don't trend up overall. The only real dice roll in it is my job situation. I don't like my job and there's not really much in my field here... but my woman really doesn't want to move anyway so it's unlikely it would happen, and we have family, friends, a lot of stuff here. My hope is that in time I can get an area sales role remotely for the region.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:42 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:33 pm

:iono: I guess I'm more "dumb" than many on the forum but this is more of a play to actually enjoy where we live than to make some epic investment, we have retirement savings and such. There may be a dip, sure, but it's unlikely that CLT prices don't trend up overall. The only real dice roll in it is my job situation. I don't like my job and there's not really much in my field here... but my woman really doesn't want to move anyway so it's unlikely it would happen, and we have family, friends, a lot of stuff here. My hope is that in time I can get an area sales role remotely for the region.
If you buy a place that you'll stay in for a while it's not "dumb" IMO. What's "dumb" is buying a place that you don't intend on staying in to flip for a profit or some shit. In the long run, values end up keeping up with inflation, and that's not a bad thing. You have to live somewhere, so might as well be somewhere you really like.

To expand your job potential...

My wife got a job as an account manager for an automotive supplier. She travels 25-50% of the time to clients, plants, whatever to keep things running effectively. With your sales and travel experience, you should keep an eye out for account manager jobs that have some travel. You've got the basic skillset that applies to any company looking for someone to do that work, industry likely doesn't matter as much since you can learn most of the ins and outs.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:52 pm

If you buy a place that you'll stay in for a while it's not "dumb" IMO. What's "dumb" is buying a place that you don't intend on staying in to flip for a profit or some shit. In the long run, values end up keeping up with inflation, and that's not a bad thing. You have to live somewhere, so might as well be somewhere you really like.

My wife got a job as an account manager for an automotive supplier. She travels 25-50% of the time to clients, plants, whatever to keep things running effectively. With your sales and travel experience, you should keep an eye out for account manager jobs that have some travel. You've got the basic skillset that applies to any company looking for someone to do that work, industry likely doesn't matter as much since you can learn most of the ins and outs.
Yeah I've actually had some traction in different industries - interviewed for a CNC Machine salesman job a hwile back (that I didn't get, but their recruiter brought me in). Thing is, I kind of want to actually be involved in something I give a slight shit about. I actually kinda like the audio/video thing if I was a field rep for a decent manufacturer. I'll find something, sales experience seems to be pretty valuable. I'm also on track to have the highest growth at the company for 2019 so that should be a pretty :fuckyeah: resume builder.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:21 pm

Yeah I've actually had some traction in different industries - interviewed for a CNC Machine salesman job a hwile back (that I didn't get, but their recruiter brought me in). Thing is, I kind of want to actually be involved in something I give a slight shit about. I actually kinda like the audio/video thing if I was a field rep for a decent manufacturer. I'll find something, sales experience seems to be pretty valuable. I'm also on track to have the highest growth at the company for 2019 so that should be a pretty :fuckyeah: resume builder.
I really want to work on something that I give zero fucks about. Would make my life so much easier.

BUT, sales is a different thing. You want to be selling something you care about, makes sense.

Your job may blow, but it is a hell of a resume builder, especially if you lead sales growth.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:25 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:21 pm

I really want to work on something that I give zero fucks about. Would make my life so much easier.

BUT, sales is a different thing. You want to be selling something you care about, makes sense.

Your job may blow, but it is a hell of a resume builder, especially if you lead sales growth.
Yeah it's tough with sales when you're not a liar as well, and for long term success, you can't be a liar. Most of the product at my current company is fine... but we're basically just a Chinese OEM distributor, nothing interesting or exciting.
troyguitar

D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:27 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:25 pm

Yeah it's tough with sales when you're not a liar as well, and for long term success, you can't be a liar. Most of the product at my current company is fine... but we're basically just a Chinese OEM distributor, nothing interesting or exciting.
Isn't that every company? :flaccid:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:29 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:27 pm

Isn't that every company? :flaccid:
:iono: my old company actually designed and built products that were :neat: and manufactured in the UK. The automakers for one have real design, engineering, etc. The corporate hampster wheenl of enriching CEOs and Chinese blows IMO, I'd happily go make less elsewhere.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Well... we looked at about eight :haus: yesterday. Sadly it seems like the single family homes we can afford are pretty meh. The new build community was just hideous. While the houses boast great interiors, it's a line of vinyl boxes tucked back behind a "Charlotte Housing Authority" (supplemented rent housing for poors), so any time we wanted to go for a run/walk or go anywhere, gotta go through the ghetto to get there. It would be difficult to drive in and out as well due to the entrance being very poorly placed with no traffic light. Not much else in town have garages and anything in a "decent" area is at the top of our budget and "needs" another $30-50k of work not including garage.

THis one was nice: https://www.redfin.com/NC/Charlotte/711 ... e/43988379 - it's move in ready enough, in a decent area, close to a lot... so it's a frontrunner but very small, only has one car carport. This leads our single family search right now.

As expected, townhouses offer way more for the money. We absolutely loved this place https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4008 ... 5531_zpid/ It ticks every box - beautiful kitchen :tits: wants, decent garage, great outdoor area with a large deck with awesome park/woods views from it and every room. Tons of storage and driveway space. The neighborhood is very new/nice, but it is a bit "in the middle of nowhere". It's close to many things but is surrounded by office parks and the development includes three hotels, several apartment buildings, townhouses, and houses... There is some retail/eating/drinking which is cool, but the hotels/apartments are less exciting. This is definitely a front runner, but we're not to 100% committing.

It was interesting going around doing this, pretty fun! I've never bought/seriously considered it before (thought about places back in 2012 when :haus: like the first one here were like $120K and didn't :doit: sadly). and it's quite scary thinking of parting with such a huge sum we've worked hard to save. It feels like a big risk just flushing all ze money down the pisser but I guess there's no better alternative.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

:dat: :dat: :dat:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

4zilch wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:19 am

:dat: :dat: :dat:
:word:

We hope to do OK on it whenever we move again, but the plan is to get something we enjoy living in and stick with it for as long as we can... moving isn't fun and I have been swapping apartment/rental house situations every year or so since 2007... ready to be done with that life and stop paying 25% more every year for continually worse places in most cases.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

+1 for an account manager role. One that leans heavily on the account management/relationship piece and less on the sales growth piece.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Griff even though you mentioned your CF would go to :tits: private school that she works at, ensuring you’re in/near a good school district is imperative for resale value especially when families with CF that don’t go to public school want to buy your house in the future.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.