Griffdog House Search

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

[user not found] wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:11 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:06 pm

All fair points except the Griffdog has been the Griffdog and he's NEVER had a garage. First @ PhiDelta Crotchgrab, then at the GF's townhouse, then at the apartment. So it's not like he's downgrading. He can get a big ass garage when he enters the Brad Bitterness Vortex.

Where purple doors roam freely and potfillers are made of 24K gold.
:amaze:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

here's what 2.5k+ gets in my neck of the woods :lol:
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1260 ... 4061_zpid/
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:39 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:36 pm

$3060/year in taxes for a house we're paying $322K for FWIW. Those rentals are not in a comparable area at all... could buy a house down there for $322K with a c=two car garage and 2X the square feet.
How are your prop taxes sub 1%? :impressive:

That makes purchases far more appealing.
According to Zillow, it's ~1.4% based on past tax history. If NC is like MI, Griff's in for a surprise (as we all tend to be with our first house) when the tax reassessment comes post-purchase. Probably going to be closer to 4,500-5k. I've seen local area houses nearly double the tax bill after a sail when the house is reassessed. Hopefully NC is different.

FWIW, I still think 1.4% is cheap. We effectively pay 2% to be in similar proximity to an urban center, but our city services are the best in the area so at least it's worth something.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:58 am

According to Zillow, it's ~1.4% based on past tax history. If NC is like MI, Griff's in for a surprise (as we all tend to be with our first house) when the tax reassessment comes post-purchase. Probably going to be closer to 4,500-5k. I've seen local area houses nearly double the tax bill after a sail when the house is reassessed. Hopefully NC is different.

FWIW, I still think 1.4% is cheap. We effectively pay 2% to be in similar proximity to an urban center, but our city services are the best in the area so at least it's worth something.
:dat:
brain go brrrrrr
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

D Griff wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:07 am In4 :wrong: ... we bought that house: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/711- ... 6783_zpid/ (under contract).

It was really the only decent place we could afford in the area that's preferred. I think I'll actually enjoy the carport and it'll work for wrenching and such, but may add a garage or steel building later on, or could extend/enclose the carport.

This house has lots of epic things that I think are worth it:
-mountain biking trails in walking distance
-light rail to city in walking distance and only a few miles to downtown
-tons of nightlife, restaurants, auto parts store, pretty much everything crazy close
-epic yard
-plenty of storage for tools, bikes, etc.
-low maintenance/move in ready

Ultimately a house with a yard > townhouse for a lot of reasons and living in the sticks is not for me at this phase of life.

:wrong: :wrong: :wrong:
:wrong: :triggered: :wrong:
I like it a lot! I'd love to find something just like this for me and Lisa and the dog. :jelly: enjoy it my dude.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

I don't think they reassess tax value here in a given sale, they just do it every X number of years... hopefully I'm right about that.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:40 pm here's what 2.5k+ gets in my neck of the woods :lol:
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1260 ... 4061_zpid/
At least that is nice... but kinda crazy when you consider you're still quite far from DC. You could rent a similar place here for a similar price near the city center.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:26 am
D Griff wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:07 am In4 :wrong: ... we bought that house: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/711- ... 6783_zpid/ (under contract).

It was really the only decent place we could afford in the area that's preferred. I think I'll actually enjoy the carport and it'll work for wrenching and such, but may add a garage or steel building later on, or could extend/enclose the carport.

This house has lots of epic things that I think are worth it:
-mountain biking trails in walking distance
-light rail to city in walking distance and only a few miles to downtown
-tons of nightlife, restaurants, auto parts store, pretty much everything crazy close
-epic yard
-plenty of storage for tools, bikes, etc.
-low maintenance/move in ready

Ultimately a house with a yard > townhouse for a lot of reasons and living in the sticks is not for me at this phase of life.

:wrong: :triggered: :wrong:
I like it a lot! I'd love to find something just like this for me and Lisa and the dog. :jelly: enjoy it my dude.
:wub:

Just went over for the inspection. Dude said it's one of the cleanest 70s homes he's seen and everything he did find was tiny and minor. Saw the house sans staging for the first time and am pretty :fuckyeah: on it. Really does have tons of nice perks and should be very low maintenance.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:12 pm

I don't think they reassess tax value here in a given sale, they just do it every X number of years... hopefully I'm right about that.
:wat: :bruh:

Probably something you should know when you sign on the dotted line. Taxes are a non-insignificant portion of your :haus: expenses. What the current owners pay could be drastically different than what you pay. Or maybe not. You should do some homework.

Here, taxes are "reset" when there's a change in ownershit, but it takes effect the next calendar year after you buy it. I know people (myself and others) who bought a house only to have the tax bill increase by 50%+ the next year. Friends of mine bought a "cheap" house in Detroit. Previous owner was paying $2k in taxes...their tax bill was $8k. 400% increase. They were blindsided and completely changed their view of buying that house.

Hopefully NC is different, and very likely is.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:15 pm

Just went over for the inspection. Dude said it's one of the cleanest 70s homes he's seen and everything he did find was tiny and minor. Saw the house sans staging for the first time and am pretty :fuckyeah: on it. Really does have tons of nice perks and should be very low maintenance.
:fuckyeah: That's a good feeling.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:15 pm

:megusta:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:19 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:12 pm

:wat: :bruh:

Probably something you should know when you sign on the dotted line. Taxes are a non-insignificant portion of your :haus: expenses. What the current owners pay could be drastically different than what you pay. Or maybe not. You should do some homework.

Here, taxes are "reset" when there's a change in ownershit, but it takes effect the next calendar year after you buy it.
:dat: will be this case since they last assessed it on the last sale in 2007 FOR A LOT LESS ($160k). The taxes will update after the recorded new sale price.

Prolly double but still relatively low.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

dubshow wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:43 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:19 pm :wat: :bruh:

Here, taxes are "reset" when there's a change in ownershit, but it takes effect the next calendar year after you buy it.
:dat: will be this case since they last assessed it on the last sale in 2007 FOR A LOT LESS ($160k). The taxes will update after the recorded new sale price.

:wrong:

It's tax value is assessed at 307K, rate is around 1.1% for Mecklenburg County. I am correct, they do not assess homes after move in, it's done every eight years on a rotating cycle.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:01 pm

It's tax value is assessed at 307K, rate is around 1.1% for Mecklenburg County. I am correct, they do not assess homes after move in, it's done every eight years on a rotating cycle.
Better triple check. It's highly unusual for municipalities to not reassess taxes at a sale
brain go brrrrrr
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

:mahman:

I hope you arent taking zillow as gospel... Their info isnt always spot on. I have no experience buying a house in NC BUT the assement practices are fairly universal.

Case in point, zillow shows the same $ for taxes on a house that nearly doubled in assessed value from 2018 to 2019. But hey! Good luck just be ware and know if your taxes will increase. Not sure where the $307k assessment came from or if its even official. Just do your homework with the country griffdog. :like:

YEAR PROPERTY TAXES TAX ASSESSMENT
2019 $2,157 $307,100(+93.4%)
2018 $2,157(+2.3%) $158,800

edit: https://mcmap.org/geoportal/#-80.8697,35.1726/property yeah. good luck :mahman: !
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

I'll say it louder for people in the back.

If your assessed value is now $307k (says that was the 2011 value on the county site) and your prop tax rate is 1.3%, that shits gonna increase to around $4k. It looks like the entire area is about due to cash in on the increased area value, if they all are on the same rolling 8 year period.
ChrisoftheNorth

dubshow wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:07 pm

:mahman:

I hope you arent taking zillow as gospel... Their info isnt always spot on. I have no experience buying a house in NC BUT the assement practices are fairly universal.

Case in point, zillow shows the same $ for taxes on a house that nearly doubled in assessed value from 2018 to 2019. But hey! Good luck just be ware and know if your taxes will increase. Not sure where the $307k assessment came from or if its even official. Just do your homework with the country griffdog. :like:

YEAR PROPERTY TAXES TAX ASSESSMENT
2019 $2,157 $307,100(+93.4%)
2018 $2,157(+2.3%) $158,800

edit: https://mcmap.org/geoportal/#-80.8697,35.1726/property yeah. good luck :mahman: !
Zillow only reports what it can find in public records. I trust it exactly 0%.

In the case of my house, the "taxes" listed were half of what they were supposed to be because in MI taxes can only go up by the rate of inflation at most each year after you buy a house. The previous owners lived there for 30 years, so by the time they sold, they effectively paid half of what they otherwise would be paying.

I actually prefer the regular reassessment schedule. Then you don't have new buyers getting royally hosed, and those who stay put for a while sucking off the new owners. It's a little easier to buy a house with confidence in the final total cost amount too. Even if Griff's taxes do increase, it shouldn't be by more than 1-1.5k. I faced triple that over the previous owners.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

$4k a year in :haus: taxes is still dirt cheap.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Apex wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:36 pm $4k a year in :haus: taxes is still dirt cheap.
:disgust:

ill take my .8% rates begrudgingly. WE SUCK AGAIN!
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I dunno brah, I'd be more likely to listen to all of these armchair house buyers who are telling you what happened to them in states other than North Carolina.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Also, Griff is going to buy this house regardless of the property tax. So :whocares:
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:43 pm

I dunno brah, I'd be more likely to listen to all of these armchair house buyers who are telling you what happened to them in states other than North Carolina.
:yeahok: or spend enough time to glance at the NC county assessor's website and pull tax history to know that its prolly gonna increase from the old rate.

:fancy:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:45 pm Also, Griff is going to buy this house regardless of the property tax. So :whocares:
:dat: which is :fuckyeah:

just preparing the guy with :fax: No one likes hidden sneaky tax collecting :dillerman:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Property tax discussion and bitching consumes a disproportionately large amount of time on this forum.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:48 pm Property tax discussion and bitching consumes a disproportionately large amount of time on this forum.
:wrong: but :notwrong:

:howdareu: