Griffdog House Search

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

D Griff wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:59 am
Soon to be in-laws don't have a dishwasher :wtf: and seem to just :aintcare: about adding one, they must have the means. Their house is messy and they just always use paper/plastic dishes and burn it all :thisisfine:
:rolleyes: boomers amirite?
brain go brrrrrr
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

[user not found] wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:56 am I've lived with and without one - seems the garbage disposal smells more than my trash can does. :iono:

I have trash under the sink now on a slide out tray. Works great.
Vinegar and/or citrus rinds help clean-up/deodorize.

I have lived with and without. They're nice for rinsing food of off dishes, but for the most part I throw vegetable/fruit scraps in the garbage
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

TIL way fewer people live with garbage disposals than I realized. I thought that was a normal house staple.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

It's common for things to clog the sink a bit...just random little things that don't make it all the way in the trash. Flipping on the disposal is way easier than taking the trap apart :iono:

I've also never had one fail. Mine jammed a few months back, but all I had to do was free the blades by spinning them with an allen wrench on the bottom of the unit. I had friends who thought theirs died in their apartment, but it just tripped the breaker on the unit. That's the most common source of "failure".
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Detroit wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:28 pm It's common for things to clog the sink a bit...just random little things that don't make it all the way in the trash. Flipping on the disposal is way easier than taking the trap apart :iono:

I've also never had one fail. Mine jammed a few months back, but all I had to do was free the blades by spinning them with an allen wrench on the bottom of the unit. I had friends who thought theirs died in their apartment, but it just tripped the breaker on the unit. That's the most common source of "failure".
:dat: mine was recently jammed bad enough that spinning the Allen wrench thing wouldn’t work and I had to take the thing apart to unjam it myself. I was in and out in under 30 minutes :iono:
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:19 pm I keep a strainer in the sink instead. :iono:

Never grew up with a garbage disposal as a kid so it's never been something I've felt a need for.
Cleaning strainer... :gag:
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

Detroit wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:28 pm It's common for things to clog the sink a bit...just random little things that don't make it all the way in the trash. Flipping on the disposal is way easier than taking the trap apart :iono:

Mine failed recently it was a pita to get the old one out because reasons. Being on one's back under a kitchen sink is not the funnest way to spend time but I really can't go without one, because the dishwasher empties into the sink drain pipe which sometimes backs up due to water volume. When this happens, the food particles would eventually clog the trap. With the disposal it's nbd. Besides I like being able to rinse plates with no real worries and also obliterating peels and other cutting board detritus that would otherwise stink up the garbage can.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Irish wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:36 pm

Mine failed recently it was a pita to get the old one out because reasons. Being on one's back under a kitchen sink is not the funnest way to spend time but I really can't go without one, because the dishwasher empties into the sink drain pipe which sometimes backs up due to water volume. When this happens, the food particles would eventually clog the trap. With the disposal it's nbd. Besides I like being able to rinse plates with no real worries and also obliterating peels and other cutting board detritus that would otherwise stink up the garbage can.
:mahman:

:iono: I've taken one apart, unjammed it, and also replaced one. Agreed the working under the sink on your back isn't exactly fun, but if it's a once-a-decade thing to replace it, I'm good with that.

I'm with Detroit though, I didn't realize so many wealthy white DFDers lived without such a standard household item.
Irish
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

D Griff wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:29 pm
Irish wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:36 pm

:iono: I've taken one apart, unjammed it, and also replaced one. Agreed the working under the sink on your back isn't exactly fun, but if it's a once-a-decade thing to replace it, I'm good with that.

I'm with Detroit though, I didn't realize so many wealthy white DFDers lived without such a standard household item.
I didn't grow up with one either...but once I had one I wouldn't want to go without....kinda like central air.....
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Irish wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:36 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:29 pm

I didn't grow up with one either...but once I had one I wouldn't want to go without....kinda like central air.....
Yeah... I mean, I didn't grow up with a Corvette but that doesn't mean I want to stick with an '87 Caravan forever.

We did have a disposal AND a dishwasher where I grew up :doe: :waxer:
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

D Griff wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:44 am Jesus, have y'all ever had a garbage disposal? I've lived both with and without and it saves a ton of time, mess, and work. Also, your trash doesn't smell like ass immediately from having food in it.
:dat:
Late to this latest DFD argument, but I'm firmly on the pro disposal team. Never had them growing up, then I installed one in my in-laws house then in mine and they're a 5/7 convenience as long as they're used correctly.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

troyguitar wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:53 am
D Griff wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:44 am Jesus, have y'all ever had a garbage disposal? I've lived both with and without and it saves a ton of time, mess, and work. Also, your trash doesn't smell like ass immediately from having food in it.
I've never lived without one.

A lot of people also seem to prefer not having hoods over their stoves and not having air conditioning or (de)humidifiers too, dunno what everyone hates about having a clean and comfortable home...
Neither of my disposals have never smelled. :iono:
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

4zilch wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:24 pm
[user not found] wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:56 am I've lived with and without one - seems the garbage disposal smells more than my trash can does. :iono:

I have trash under the sink now on a slide out tray. Works great.
Vinegar and/or citrus rinds help clean-up/deodorize.

I have lived with and without. They're nice for rinsing food of off dishes, but for the most part I throw vegetable/fruit scraps in the garbage

I use mine for the vegetable bits that escaped the trash can.

I'm genuinely amazed this is a thing to argue over.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

wap wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:38 pm
troyguitar wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:53 am

I've never lived without one.

A lot of people also seem to prefer not having hoods over their stoves and not having air conditioning or (de)humidifiers too, dunno what everyone hates about having a clean and comfortable home...
If it smells you're using it :wrong:
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:15 am
Apex wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:11 am

:notsure: what the benefits of a garbage disposal are over a regular trash can?
You get to spend time fixing something else. :lol:
I installed mine myself, took all of 7 minutes.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:30 pm
Melon wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:22 pm

Probably because I just never used it.
The garbage disposal, or something else there bud?
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:35 pm
Melon wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:38 pm

The garbage disposal, or something else there bud?
Liquid hot smegma?
We need to make a hot sauce called that.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Melon wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:06 pm
[user not found] wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:35 pm

Liquid hot smegma?
We need to make a hot sauce called that.
Spicy with funky fermented notes
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Griff congrats on the house.

Sorry everyone had to fight you on your decisions along the way. Go enjoy it man, you've worked hard, you deserve it.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Melon wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:50 pm Griff congrats on the house.

Sorry everyone had to fight you on your decisions along the way. Go enjoy it man, you've worked hard, you deserve it.
:wrong: :gtfo:

:trollface:
wap

Melon wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:22 pm
wap wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:38 pm

wap

Melon wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:23 pm
[user not found] wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:15 am

You get to spend time fixing something else. :lol:
I installed mine myself, took all of 7 minutes.
Well, it takes a little longer if you're installing one where there wasn't one before. You have to run electrical, modify the drain, etc, but yeah, it's not that hard.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Pretty excited, we officially own it. Being almost $300K in debt feels... about the same as life did before. I'm currently sitting in my apartment :lolol: . I may find some time to go over and do a few things to the :haus: over this Thanksgiving break, but all of the family things...
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

D Griff wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:36 am

Pretty excited, we officially own it. Being almost $300K in debt feels... about the same as life did before. I'm currently sitting in my apartment :lolol: . I may find some time to go over and :dock: in a few places at the :haus: over this Thanksgiving break, but all of the family things...
:doit: :hue:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

SAWCE wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:01 am
D Griff wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:36 am

Pretty excited, we officially own it. Being almost $300K in debt feels... about the same as life did before. I'm currently sitting in my apartment :lolol: . I may find some time to go over and :dock: in a few places at the :haus: over this Thanksgiving break, but all of the family things...
:doit: :hue:
:megusta:

Plans for that are in place already, perhaps this evening :hue: