Griffdog House Search

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

D Griff wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:19 am
troyguitar wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:48 pm Carolina is cheap as fuck. Charlotte is "expensive" for the area because taxes for a normal person average over 1% instead of under like in most of the states. Moving to Charlotte from the suburbs (especially if you go across the border from SC) can mean a tax increase of 50%, which sounds like a lot except it's only going from 0.8% to 1.2% of the market value.
It's all relative... people here are all :triggered: by house prices... it does kind of suck that this same house would've been $200K six years ago... but it is what it is, still better than many places.
My parents loved to tell me that my house was "cheap" and only $60-80k when new in 1978/79.... :bruh:

They were also both too poor to afford one of these "cheap" houses back in the day.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

dubshow wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:31 am
D Griff wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:19 am

It's all relative... people here are all :triggered: by house prices... it does kind of suck that this same house would've been $200K six years ago... but it is what it is, still better than many places.
My parents loved to tell me that my house was "cheap" and only $60-80k when new in 1978/79.... :bruh:

They were also both too poor to afford one of these "cheap" houses back in the day.
That would actually equate to it being a bit more expensive back then :lolol:

The house we're buying was built in '77, I'd guess it was probably $50K at the time.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:51 am
dubshow wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:31 am

The house we're buying was built in '77, I'd guess it was probably $50K at the time.
:mindblown:

Funny how that inflation :math: works with value
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

dubshow wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:54 am
D Griff wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:51 am

:mindblown:

Funny how that inflation :math: works with value
Yeah I stopped counting on cash savings as a safety net. It's good to have six months to a year of income in cash but any more and it really needs to be inflation hedged, stocks/bonds/GICs/property/guns/whatever. I also thing its going to be a much more aggressive slope starting yesteryear and ongoing.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

D Griff wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:22 am
dubshow wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:09 pm I feel so fucking pleb with barely affording a $.25m Haus on a combined income of $150k. DFD shows how :wrong: I am every day.
Our income is about the same... and your $250K house is a lot nicer than this house... you are kind of "forced to afford" something based on where you live, I'd feel much better about a $250K house but they are shit around here. People in the Northeast and CA pay $500K at the same income level because they don't have much choice and as such drive 10 year old Prii. Southerners just have the luxury of blowing a smaller proportion on housing and more on :wasteful: :truk: , guns, C5/trackdaybro,whatever pointless shit you're into.
We even get water front property.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Melon wrote:
D Griff wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:22 am Our income is about the same... and your $250K house is a lot nicer than this house... you are kind of "forced to afford" something based on where you live, I'd feel much better about a $250K house but they are shit around here. People in the Northeast and CA pay $500K at the same income level because they don't have much choice and as such drive 10 year old Prii. Southerners just have the luxury of blowing a smaller proportion on housing and more on :wasteful: :truk: , guns, C5/trackdaybro,whatever pointless shit you're into.
Free moats! :thanksobama:
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

Melon wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:10 am
D Griff wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:22 am

Our income is about the same... and your $250K house is a lot nicer than this house... you are kind of "forced to afford" something based on where you live, I'd feel much better about a $250K house but they are shit around here. People in the Northeast and CA pay $500K at the same income level because they don't have much choice and as such drive 10 year old Prii. Southerners just have the luxury of blowing a smaller proportion on housing and more on :wasteful: :truk: , guns, C5/trackdaybro,whatever pointless shit you're into.
You sandbaggin’ son of a bitch
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

4zilch wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:15 pm
Melon wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:25 pm As I said before, this is why I keep a lot to myself.
There’s a reason why I didn’t start a haus thread...and only mentioned the move in passing.
Well, I for one would be interested. This forum has introduced the concept of Tennessee as the Magic Kingdom......and I never thought much about the state before other than that Nashville Cuntry Music, TVA lakes, and Hillbillies. And yet here you are, cashing Cummins paychecks working from home, wife is planning weddings etc at elitist resort.....so yeah open the doors to Disneyland brah. You are officially Ponce De Leon, traversing to Tennessee and dominating life. In4pics.

In exchange, I will start a thread on my condo purchase in Northern Baja, which will be riddled by attacks for how I am the dumbest sonofabitch in all of history.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:59 pm

There’s a reason why I didn’t start a haus thread...and only mentioned the move in passing.
Well, I for one would be interested. This forum has introduced the concept of Tennessee as the Magic Kingdom......and I never thought much about the state before other than that Nashville Cuntry Music, TVA lakes, and Hillbillies. And yet here you are, cashing Cummins paychecks working from home, wife is planning weddings etc at elitist resort.....so yeah open the doors to Disneyland brah. You are officially Ponce De Leon, traversing to Tennessee and dominating life. In4pics.

In exchange, I will start a thread on my condo purchase in Northern Baja, which will be riddled by attacks for how I am the dumbest sonofabitch in all of history.
Aren't we all according to this place?
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:27 pm

:dat:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

My feeling is that I have come to know most of you fairly well, have figured out most of your biases/leanings, etc. So there is very little unexpected "criticism" on here. It's all pretty much :thisisfine: with me, I'll take what nuggets I can, there will be people with some good ideas/insight as well.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

:popcorn:
and
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

Dee Eff fucking Dee brah
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

wap wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:41 pm

and
:dat: let the :salt: begin!!
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

If being :wrong: is :wrong: then i don’t wanna be :notwrong:
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Pics will come soon enough. I closed on our house in Indiana this afternoon, and the :truck: is loaded with 98% of the things we own and I get to drive it to the new homestead tomorrow morning.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
wap

4zilch wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:15 pm

Pics will come soon enough. I closed on our house in Indiana this afternoon, and the :truck: is loaded with 98% of the things we own and I get to drive it to the new homestead tomorrow morning.
:truckyeah:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

The endless circle jerk of misery.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:29 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:15 pm

:wub:

Just went over for the inspection. Dude said it's one of the cleanest 70s homes he's seen and everything he did find was tiny and minor. Saw the house sans staging for the first time and am pretty :fuckyeah: on it. Really does have tons of nice perks and should be very low maintenance.
Does look like a roof should be on your radar in the next 5 years or so. FYI.
Nah it was replaced in 2007, should be good for a while.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

D Griff wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:28 pm
[user not found] wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:29 pm

Does look like a roof should be on your radar in the next 5 years or so. FYI.
Congrats on the haus. Looks :tits:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:26 am
D Griff wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:28 pm

Noice.
Yeah newer HVAC, appliances, and water heater as well, hopefully it’ll be pretty maintenance.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

So things are coming along nicely. The inspection came back with very little to report. They are fixing a few plumbing things, there's a few things for me to do when we move in, all basically free and easy.

Pretty :excited: about the :haus: overall, the apartment really put some nice perspective on the living sitch and "appreciating having it good" as it hasn't suited us well.

House appraised at above what we paid by $7500 which is evidently uncommon, so that's nice.
Wocka Wocka
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Nothing Good

D Griff wrote:So things are coming along nicely. The inspection came back with very little to report. They are fixing a few plumbing things, there's a few things for me to do when we move in, all basically free and easy.

Pretty :excited: about the :haus: overall, the apartment really put some nice perspective on the living sitch and "appreciating having it good" as it hasn't suited us well.

House appraised at above what we paid by $7500 which is evidently uncommon, so that's nice.
Awesome! Always nice to start with any equity when you’re buying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Apex
Drives: Abominable

D Griff wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:57 pm So things are coming along nicely. The inspection came back with very little to report. They are fixing a few plumbing things, there's a few things for me to do when we move in, all basically free and easy.

:notbad:

Most appraisals I’ve seen came back to contract price, or lower if contract price was too high.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Apex wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:03 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:57 pm So things are coming along nicely. The inspection came back with very little to report. They are fixing a few plumbing things, there's a few things for me to do when we move in, all basically free and easy.

:notbad:

Most appraisals I’ve seen came back to contract price, or lower if contract price was too high.
I set my offer letter (accepted) for the new gig to the lenders this morning... yo had me a little nervous with last week's comments.