Dramatic Downsizing - Dafuq Do I Doit?

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

So it's officially going to be official sometime in the next few weeks that we'll be moving to the land of ice and snow - Corning, NY. Start date is likely to be mid-January to late February. Moving in the middle of winter, YAY!

Given that property taxes (and decent properties) are incredibly :waxer: up there for no god damn reason, I'm really interested in renting an apartment/townhouse but don't understand how to deal with all of my shit. I have outdoor furniture, a big ass air compressor, big rolling toolboxes, a big workbench, a lawnmower, a ton of yard tools, a ton of car tools/parts, etc. How the hell does one downsize from :haus: lyfe?

Do I just throw/give away most of my shit?
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

troyguitar wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:16 am So it's officially going to be official sometime in the next few weeks that we'll be moving to the land of ice and snow - Corning, NY. Start date is likely to be mid-January to late February. Moving in the middle of winter, YAY!

Given that property taxes (and decent properties) are incredibly :waxer: up there for no god damn reason, I'm really interested in renting an apartment/townhouse but don't understand how to deal with all of my shit. I have outdoor furniture, a big ass air compressor, big rolling toolboxes, a big workbench, a lawnmower, a ton of yard tools, a ton of car tools/parts, etc. How the hell does one downsize from :haus: lyfe?

Lots of folks in your situation rent a storage unit. I know several that live in small-garageless apartments, but have a fairly large 20x20? Storage space, with power, for wrenching and storage.

The other option is to sell it.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

troyguitar wrote:So it's officially going to be official sometime in the next few weeks that we'll be moving to the land of ice and snow - Corning, NY. Start date is likely to be mid-January to late February. Moving in the middle of winter, YAY!

We're in the middle of doing the same thing - 1,300 foot townhouse with outdoor storage to 800ish apartment.

I'm trying to get rid of a lot of our junk but we will likely go the storage route as it will probably be for two years total. I think it's cheaper to store than buy all new things down the line.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

At least the Finger Lakes area is pretty... But man, that is not great news. Why is it :waxer: ? It's in the middle of nowhere?

Does your wife "need" a really modern/fancy place. I've found in Charlotte you can rent a house for the same price as an apartment if it's older, sadly my woman "needs" the fancy kitchen and shit.

Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Try to find a place with a garage?

Storage units could work. It depends on how long you plan to be living in Сибирь. A couple years? I'd probably sell some stuff. One year? Storage unit.

Stuff that's cheap, like if you have patio furniture that is cheap or whatever, don't bring. I'd find a way to keep your toolboxes though. Sell the lawnmower and yard tools, those are cheap as shit to buy again, used lawnmowers are everywhere.

When I moved to college I kept a bunch of stuff like car tools at my parents house. That was a waste, they spent 5 years there and I didn't touch them. Left some other stuff at another friends house and that shit never got picked back up again either. I dunno man, only keep the stuff you really really really don't want to let go because you'll just be wasting money on a storage solution otherwise.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:30 am Try to find a place with a garage?

Storage units could work. It depends on how long you plan to be living in Сибирь. A couple years? I'd probably sell some stuff. One year? Storage unit.

Stuff that's cheap, like if you have patio furniture that is cheap or whatever, don't bring. I'd find a way to keep your toolboxes though. Sell the lawnmower and yard tools, those are cheap as shit to buy again, used lawnmowers are everywhere.

When I moved to college I kept a bunch of stuff like car tools at my parents house. That was a waste, they spent 5 years there and I didn't touch them. Left some other stuff at another friends house and that shit never got picked back up again either. I dunno man, only keep the stuff you really really really don't want to let go because you'll just be wasting money on a storage solution otherwise.
:dat:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

youre in :mahtroy: luck!

That area as a high number of foreclosures. Just pay cash for a poverty palace. :scrooge: to bank.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/102- ... lpage=true

https://www.zillow.com/homes/make_me_mo ... ect/13_zm/
troyguitar

D Griff wrote:At least the Finger Lakes area is pretty... But man, that is not great news. Why is it :waxer: ? It's in the middle of nowhere?

Does your wife "need" a really modern/fancy place. I've found in Charlotte you can rent a house for the same price as an apartment if it's older, sadly my woman "needs" the fancy kitchen and shit.

I'm the one who "needs" modern because I have to do all of the yard and :haus: work, so renting a big old place with a big yard that's work to maintain and :waxer: to heat is kind of a :nope: to me. Old places are :disgust: in general to me - poor hvac, terribly insulated, shitty wiring, tiny rooms.

Storage units seem to be around $2000 a year, people really blow that kind of money to keep stuff? I'm :notsure: that would be worthwhile for even a one year lease. That's like buying an entire Harbor Freight.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Agree with others. Sell cheap/easily replaceable stuff. Store the rest in a storage unit. Storage units shouldn't be a fortune.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Dang, zillow researching that are look BLEEK AF. Most houses in that town are $100k in a healthy market. :cringe:

Also looks like property values are plummeting there. Id keep an ejecto handle in reach for my entire stay in Corning.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

A $400k apartment above store!? :lolol:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/40-E ... lpage=true

:crackrock:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

And a perfect $100k poverty palace.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/65-G ... lpage=true
ChrisoftheNorth

dubshow wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:33 am dang, :notbad:

fresh face on good bones :pinshit:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3-Br ... lpage=true

This is :neat:

Still, I'd rent in this market. Not a great time to buy or sell TBH.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

dubshow wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:35 am And a perfect $100k poverty palace.

Room to build a garage. :iono:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:27 am
D Griff wrote:At least the Finger Lakes area is pretty... But man, that is not great news. Why is it :waxer: ? It's in the middle of nowhere?

Storage units seem to be around $2000 a year, people really blow that kind of money to keep stuff?
run the math out, a large unit is easily $150/mo. Most to park a car in go for upwards of $200. So yeah, america loves hoarding. We pay a premium to store things.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:37 am
dubshow wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:35 am And a perfect $100k poverty palace.

Room to build a garage. :iono:
:dat: nice big lot in back. Space from neighbors. I see metal building fitting there easy. ~$18k+4k foundation.

If this was a 5 year move, id definitely look for a place to put a shop.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:35 am
dubshow wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:33 am dang, :notbad:

This is :neat:

Still, I'd rent in this market. Not a great time to buy or sell TBH.
:dat:

but his car needs are MUCH harder to meet in a rental market, esp looking at whats available in that town.
troyguitar

dubshow wrote:dang, :notbad:

We currently spend $1100/mo all-in with mortgage, taxes, and utilities. That place is triple. Even a $100k :haus: in Corning is fucking $400 a MONTH in property tax, plus who knows how much more for heating&cooling. This place is the same amount of money that we are spending now:

https://www.zillow.com/b/apple-creek-to ... ny-5XpVCw/

Anything else looks like a lot more. We won't have any more money, just more career advancement potential.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:40 am
dubshow wrote:dang, :notbad:

We currently spend $1100/mo all-in with mortgage, taxes, and utilities. That place is triple. Even a $100k :haus: in Corning is fucking $400 a MONTH in property tax, plus who knows how much more for heating&cooling. This place is the same amount of money that we are spending now:

https://www.zillow.com/b/apple-creek-to ... ny-5XpVCw/

Anything else looks like a lot more. We won't have any more money, just more career advancement potential.
oh I hear you, I was just showing the one nice house i found in the town :lol:
ChrisoftheNorth

Property taxes are a bitch. They're crazy in Michigan too. It's just the name of the game in some states, unfortunately. IN THEORY other taxes should be less to offset...sales and income, but that's not the case in Michigan. This state blows.

I dunno man, I really think renting for a while is a good strategy for you. Get a 2-bed so you can setup one room as an office/music room/game room and just live the :aintcare: lyfe. You've been talking seriously about getting out of cars, now is the time. Just sell all the crap and throw out what you can't. I'd at least try to keep tools :doe:
ChrisoftheNorth

Holy hell, just looked and property taxes on that midcentury thing are $9k/year! That's worse than Michigan!

Wow.

But it looks like the majority of houses are poverty spec. When that's the case, buying the nicest house results in :fullretard: property taxes. Best to buy at or below the median home value to keep taxes reasonable.
troyguitar

Detroit wrote:Holy hell, just looked and property taxes on that midcentury thing are $9k/year! That's worse than Michigan!

Wow.

But it looks like the majority of houses are poverty spec. When that's the case, buying the nicest house results in :fullretard: property taxes. Best to buy at or below the median home value to keep taxes reasonable.
Those are the taxes on its old $200k sale price. The next :derp: who buys it for $300k will be paying $1200 a month in taxes. Fuck. That. Shit.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:51 am
Detroit wrote:Holy hell, just looked and property taxes on that midcentury thing are $9k/year! That's worse than Michigan!

Wow.

Those are the taxes on its old $200k sale price. The next :derp: who buys it for $300k will be paying $1200 a month in taxes. Fuck. That. Shit.
Agree. That's insanity. Especially for what you "get".

Also just looked up income and sales taxes. NY makes zero sense. But I understand the whole career advancement thing. That's why I live in Meatchicken and deal with all the same issues along with insane car insurance cost.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:51 am

Wow.

:dolphin: :dolphin: :dolphin:
:dolphin: :wtf: :dolphin:
:dolphin: :dolphin: :dolphin: