Rental Property Slumlording Thread

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Slumlording is a skill acquired over time. Post up your experiences! Landlord and tenants :whalecum:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I'm a newly minted landlord, and after much deliberation over value for the money my wife and I decided to buy a beach house in Grand Bend, Ontario.

For 10 to 12 weeks a year the town is brimming with vacationers, then generally dies down. The trick is to capitalize on that time frame and if done right could be profitable.

We have our first renters in there right now and it's been a rocky start with a messy hand off from the previous owners. Mainly because there isn't enough time to get service people into the unit between renters.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

After many years of travel, hotel stays and all inclusive experiences I'm impressed with how under supplied cottages are while being offered.

For example:
Beds - includes a quilt bedspread and two matching pillow cases but no linens. The current owner doesn't wash the bedspread until the end of the season!
Towels - Toilet paper and paper towels, one roll per bathroom.

:disappoint: and :disgust:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Better get on that shit or your vacation home will have Calcuttaesque reviews
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Desertbreh wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:56 am Better get on that shit or your vacation home will have Calcuttaesque reviews...
...and diseases.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:56 am Better get on that shit or your vacation home will have Calcuttaesque reviews
:dat:

It's a hard push from the get go, but I've coordinated a timeslot that works well for the renters tomorrow for the internet provider to come back and will give them an extra 4 hrs to stick around to make up for the inconvenience. I don't have a website setup yet so there's no way to review me online but I do want to keep good renters for next year if they wish to return.

So far so good, we are ironing out the shortcomings with the least amount of intrusion, here's my into msg to the renters, they called back and we had a very friendly dialog that followed:

Hi Adam,

I would like to introduce myself to you, my name is Mario LASTNAME and I am the new owner of the beach house you are staying at (closed today at 1pm).

To ensure that your week goes as smoothly as possible while you stay at XX ADDRESS Crt I will be available to take calls/texts/emails 24-7 throughout your stay.

Originally PERSON-A and PERSON-B were planning to manage your stay from start to finish but with the current internet issues they feel more comfortable if I handle things from here onwards.

I would like to discuss scheduling Hay communications to come to the property at your convenience.

Please let me know when you are available to discuss the subject.

Thank you and have a terrific evening!

Kind regards,
Mario
Phone#
Email.com

Also, Nicole just spent $1k on bedding and decor. What a mess.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:11 am Landlord stiffed me on my security deposit despite us returning the property back to them in better than originally-rented condition AND helped them show the property to get it rented faster.

Don't be that guy.
Right! New linens/pillows, internet, cable box/netflix, and a bottle of wine plus a 4hr extended check out hopefully fixes the wrongs.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:31 am
Desertbreh wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:56 am Better get on that shit or your vacation home will have Calcuttaesque reviews...
...and diseases.
Buddy, bed covers and decorative pillow case covers that haven't been washed since April!
wap

Tarspin wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:57 am
wap wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:31 am

...and diseases.
Buddy, bed covers and decorative pillow case covers that haven't been washed since April!
:gag:
Glad you're making fixes! Good luck with slumlordshit.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Slum lord extraordinaire strikes again! When I was waiting on closing (same afternoon as my renter check in, those creeps let the renters into the house (as we agreed upon) and took the second half rental payment (which we did not agree upon) as an e-transfer. Now I'm renting for half the price unless I can get that cash back somehow.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

[user not found] wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:11 am Landlord stiffed me on my security deposit despite us returning the property back to them in better than originally-rented condition AND helped them show the property to get it rented faster.

Don't be that guy.
#renting game.

I got realllllyyy lucky with our short term when we got back deposit AND prorated rent for doing what you did. But every other time renting I got fucked.

I kepst half of our renters deposit. I should have kept it all, but they needed some cash to get into the new rental and we needed the house. 500 bucks was chump change in the long run.
brain go brrrrrr
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I don't think i could take a deposit from someone in full unless it is warranted. That's low life shit.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Sooo I ran the rental agreement by my lawyer today and they combed through the 4th (Amended, Amended, Amended) Rental Terms which were changed on the day of closing and it appears no damage deposit is taken. Apparently a credit card is on file somewhere instead. :notsure: didn't see anything yet. :dislike:

On a positive note, I went back in for the router replacement and the place looked really clean after the wedding party getaway. The rest of the week is going to be just one couple, :doge: and 18 month old.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

I have quite a few stories. But the PC nature of this forum won't let me post it...
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

max225 wrote:I have quite a few stories. But the PC nature of this forum won't let me post it...
Fucking jews, man.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

troyguitar wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:00 pm
max225 wrote:I have quite a few stories. But the PC nature of this forum won't let me post it...
Fucking jews, man.
:lolol:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:58 pm I have quite a few stories. But the PC nature of this forum won't let me post it...
Maybe just use fake names and cultures?
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

troyguitar wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:00 pm
Fucking jews, man.
Yea those were the property managers .... getting fucked by people of culture
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

:ohmy:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

So much awesome, i still don't know if SLM took a deposit for damages or :doge: fee. He won't respond to my texts or call, and even the lawyer can't get a hold of his lawyer to ask the question. I literally have to pretend that I know no such deposit was made and feel out the reaction of the renters to be sure. If I ask them if they did leave a deposit I'm setting myself up for a false yes.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

So the dust has settled quite a bit, we had one water fiasco which now exercises my drywalling skills and forces me to learn how to manage storm water from the beach house roof MOST efficiently. We have done a lot to the place. It is also a really celebratory moment for us to hear back from our second renters who now want to book another week in July 2019. This shit has been a great experience. Check out pics at @grandbendfamilyrentals in IG for pics. We spent a week up there while i replaced wet walls. Had friends over, and checked out a lot of :tits: and got :drunk: for the majority of the week! :fuckyeah:
wap

:excited: that this is going well for you!
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

It is @wap, the advertising for new business is going to be the next challenge. Need an advertising medium.

And I am not budgeting for the help of outside contractors because they are :waxer: so i need to figure out how to fix things myself. And there are a lot of things that can and do go wrong. My fridge is acting up, fills the freezer floor with condensation. I tried lowering the cooling temps but it still pours water into the bottom of the freezer. It freezes and turns into a little ice rink for mice but if i don't knock all of that out the water keeps building up and ends up on the kitchen floor. Water on the floor takes about a week so it's manageable for now.
datgrundle
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Tits and ass to the DFD

max225 wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:28 pm
troyguitar wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:00 pm Fucking jews, man.
Yea those were the property managers .... getting fucked by people of culture
I had hasidic property managers when I lived in Brooklyn. They were.... awful in just about every way.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:33 pm
Tarspin wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:38 pm It is @wap, the advertising for new business is going to be the next challenge. Need an advertising medium.

And I am not budgeting for the help of outside contractors because they are :waxer: so i need to figure out how to fix things myself. And there are a lot of things that can and do go wrong. My fridge is acting up, fills the freezer floor with condensation. I tried lowering the cooling temps but it still pours water into the bottom of the freezer. It freezes and turns into a little ice rink for mice but if i don't knock all of that out the water keeps building up and ends up on the kitchen floor. Water on the floor takes about a week so it's manageable for now.
AirBnB + instagram that shit.
Thanks man, I'm half way there. Instagram has a lot of potential but I'm not sure I'm capturing the masses. It did bring two prospective renters for next summer. I bet AirBnB is 5/7 doe and we plan to get an account going once all the little projects and loose ends are dealt with.