House Plac: From Bag End to Balls Deep

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Apex wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:43 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:41 pm

can we find her pinterest?
@ :tits:
https://www.pinterest.com/mallen16/

brain go brrrrrr
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Detroit wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:08 pm In house. It is epic for us. New thread will be coming when we're done moving this weekend.

:fuckyeah:
dang, youve moved. I missed a lot.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

dubshow wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:56 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:08 pm In house. It is epic for us. New thread will be coming when we're done moving this weekend.

:fuckyeah:
dang, youve moved. I missed a lot.
Too busy buying saleboats, Ray Ray.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:51 pm

:lolol:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

:lolol: :lolgasm:

ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

[user not found] wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:29 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:00 pm Why are there no updates on this nasty bitch?
Dplac's still building the :pinshit: lists. Not ready for publication yet.
:dat:

It's been really hectic lately, and the house is a mess. If I didn't mention it, the 2nd floor floors were raw wood in most places, so we decided to have them refinished before moving stuff up there.

The PO's installed brand new wall to wall carpet in the master that we ended up liking, so we did move into the master, but we're refinishing everything else. Found a great local company to take care of the floors, and they're looking really nice. Stain and first coat of sealer was applied today, I'll take some photos tonight of the progress.

Floor dudes told us that the floors didn't appear to ever have been refinished...as in the same for 108 years, so there's plenty of life left in them.

Pinshit list is as follows:

0.) Garagemahal... :tits: is keeping her word and the garage gets done first. The current one is horrific. Lot survey completed yesterday, working with builder on budget, design, and timing.

1.) Repaint everything. Literally every room
2.) Strip painted woodwork starting with the baseboards and door frames on stairway and upstairs, then moving to dining room then living room
3.) Reconfigure kitchen on the cheap including adding a real vent hood like the last house, painting the light veneer early 00's cabinets, new range because the current one is a POS
4.) Fix electrical. In the basement, it's the most ghetto job I've seen..."outlets" are just extension cords hanging from the ceiling. "Light switches" are in-line lamp switches wired in front of ancient florescent tubes. In the kitchen, every single light has it's own switch. EVERY ONE. There has to be a total of 20 switches in the kitchen alone, and many don't even work. There's still an alarming amount of live knot and tube wiring

This should keep me busy for a few years...
Last edited by ChrisoftheNorth on Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

:ohdang:

:impressive:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Oh, and the bathroom is ridiculously cramped. A light reno will happen in there as well.

Doing as much of the work as possible ourselves. Partially because I enjoy it.

:wrong: I know.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:04 pm Oh, and the bathroom is ridiculously cramped. A light reno will happen in there as well.

Is there a best order to it all that reduces doubling up of labor?
ChrisoftheNorth

Tarspin wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:44 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:04 pm Oh, and the bathroom is ridiculously cramped. A light reno will happen in there as well.

The kitchen and bathroom will need to be done around the same time. We want to move some plumbing around in the bathroom, which is right above the kitchen, so we'll be tearing up the kitchen a bit for the bathroom.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:45 pm
Tarspin wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:44 pm

The kitchen and bathroom will need to be done around the same time. We want to move some plumbing around in the bathroom, which is right above the kitchen, so we'll be tearing up the kitchen a bit for the bathroom.
good luck with it! Sounds like a lot of work. Is the shoddy electrical in the basement mainly?
ChrisoftheNorth

Tarspin wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:47 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:45 pm
good luck with it! Sounds like a lot of work. Is the shoddy electrical in the basement mainly?
I think so. Other than the weird switch layout in the kitchen, and some questionable 3 prong outlet swaps, most of the cringe-worthy stuff is in the basement.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:49 pm
Tarspin wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:47 pm

I think so. Other than the weird switch layout in the kitchen, and some questionable 3 prong outlet swaps, most of the cringe-worthy stuff is in the basement.
Sweet. Not bad, I'd probably hire a sparky to gut and redo the kitchen wiring. 20 amp shit etc
ChrisoftheNorth

Tarspin wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:53 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:49 pm
Sweet. Not bad, I'd probably hire a sparky to gut and redo the kitchen wiring. 20 amp shit etc
I need to get into it a bit to see how bad it is. There are two massive panels in the basement...there's so many circuits that I suspect every outlet and light is on its own circuit. 200 amp service too which is a nice bonus.

I'd like to reduce the number of switches and replace the open switches with outlets. There's only two outlets in the entire kitchen. :wat: A few of the switches don't seem to do anything either.

I'll sort it out.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:57 pm
Tarspin wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:53 pm

I need to get into it a bit to see how bad it is. There are two massive panels in the basement...there's so many circuits that I suspect every outlet and light is on its own circuit. 200 amp service too which is a nice bonus.

I'd like to reduce the number of switches and replace the open switches with outlets. There's only two outlets in the entire kitchen. :wat: A few of the switches don't seem to do anything either.

I'll sort it out.
Yeah for sure, might be some :popcorn: along the way with that wiring. Sounds :notsure: its not to terrible unbolting cabinets to get at wiring etc but I'd hate to do it after things are painted and looking the way you guys like them.

I am back at it with the master bedroom shower floor since the pink goop only lasted a year. The shower is currently down to the studs now. No more patch fixing for me for a while. I'm going :balls: deep right from the beginning. I'm pretty content with the decision even if its more work and money.
ChrisoftheNorth

Tarspin wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:23 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:57 pm

I'll sort it out.
Yeah for sure, might be some :popcorn: along the way with that wiring. Sounds :notsure: its not to terrible unbolting cabinets to get at wiring etc but I'd hate to do it after things are painted and looking the way you guys like them.

I am back at it with the master bedroom shower floor since the pink goop only lasted a year. The shower is currently down to the studs now. No more patch fixing for me for a while. I'm going :balls: deep right from the beginning. I'm pretty content with the decision even if its more work and money.
I'm hoping the kitchen wiring won't force me to tear into the walls. I should be able to do a lot of the wiring at the boxes. It'll depend on what it all looks like when I open them up.

The basement is going to be a completely different animal. There's old drywall on the ceiling that I need to rip down completely to get full access to everything. Finally kill the knot and tube, run proper switches and real light fixtures, correct outlets, etc. It'll be a big job, but I really don't mind electrical.

Definitely wise to not half ass your shower. Bummer that the pink goop only lasted a year. It was so promising. Plumbing it something I need to advance my skills in.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:01 pm
[user not found] wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:29 pm

Dplac's still building the :pinshit: lists. Not ready for publication yet.

It's been really hectic lately, and the house is a mess. If I didn't mention it, the 2nd floor floors were raw wood in most places, so we decided to have them refinished before moving stuff up there.

The PO's installed brand new wall to wall carpet in the master that we ended up liking, so we did move into the master, but we're refinishing everything else. Found a great local company to take care of the floors, and they're looking really nice. Stain and first coat of sealer was applied today, I'll take some photos tonight of the progress.

Floor dudes told us that the floors didn't appear to ever have been refinished...as in the same for 108 years, so there's plenty of life left in them.

0.) Garagemahal... :tits: is keeping her word and the garage gets done first. The current one is horrific. Lot survey completed yesterday, working with builder on budget, design, and timing.

2.) Strip painted woodwork starting with the baseboards and door frames on stairway and upstairs, then moving to dining room then living room
3.) Reconfigure kitchen on the cheap including adding a real vent hood like the last house, painting the light veneer early 00's cabinets, new range because the current one is a POS
4.) Fix electrical. In the basement, it's the most ghetto job I've seen..."outlets" are just extension cords hanging from the ceiling. "Light switches" are in-line lamp switches wired in front of ancient florescent tubes. In the kitchen, every single light has it's own switch. EVERY ONE. There has to be a total of 20 switches in the kitchen alone, and many don't even work. There's still an alarming amount of live knot and tube wiring

You're not :bs: ing. Knob and tube is VERY no bueno. Get that shit changed out asap.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

Completely :popcorn: to follow this thread.
:fuckyeah: :haus: modzzz
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:12 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:01 pm

You're not :bs: ing. Knob and tube is VERY no bueno. Get that shit changed out asap.
The house has lasted 108 years with it, I'm not too worried. I suspect most of the house has been updated, what's left is just the crap in the basement powering the ghetto lights.
wap

Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:17 pm
wap wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:12 pm
The house has lasted 108 years with it, I'm not too worried. I suspect most of the house has been updated, what's left is just the crap in the basement powering the ghetto lights.
:bruh:
Don't be complacent about this. The house is worth being careful for. Seriously, knob and tube is not safe. Don't mean to be a pest or a nag, but please prioritize that project pretty high. :like:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:39 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:17 pm
:bruh:
Don't be complacent about this. The house is worth being careful for. Seriously, knob and tube is not safe. Don't mean to be a pest or a nag, but please prioritize that project pretty high. :like:
:dat: at least get a pro to do a review before painting etc
ChrisoftheNorth

When we had the house inspected, the inspector said that the house electrical was updated, save for a few circuits in the basement that are dead. I found one that appears to still be live for lighting in the basement only, but I haven't tested it yet.

The kitchen and bathroom above it (the biggest risk for knob and tube) were previously gutted to the studs and all rewired according to the PO. Wiring going up to these rooms from the basement are all romex. Further, I was adventuring in the eves on the 3rd floor and all the outlets and lights on the third floor are wired with Romex. If they went that far, I believe the inspector that the house is updated.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Detroit wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:54 am When we had the house inspected, the inspector said that the house electrical was updated, save for a few circuits in the basement that are dead. I found one that appears to still be live for lighting in the basement only, but I haven't tested it yet.

The kitchen and bathroom above it (the biggest risk for knob and tube) were previously gutted to the studs and all rewired according to the PO. Wiring going up to these rooms from the basement are all romex. Further, I was adventuring in the eves on the 3rd floor and all the outlets and lights on the third floor are wired with Romex. If they went that far, I believe the inspector that the house is updated.
It's so hard to know. I thought my house was updated or at least free of knob and tube. But then we found some :doomed: shit job when we ripped out the kitchen ceiling, where the current standard yellow wire stuff was ELECTRICAL TAPED to knob and tube where the circuit passed underneath the bathtub. Like HOLY SHIT.

But then again 80% of the outlets in my house don't have ground wires so.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:15 am
Detroit wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:54 am When we had the house inspected, the inspector said that the house electrical was updated, save for a few circuits in the basement that are dead. I found one that appears to still be live for lighting in the basement only, but I haven't tested it yet.

It's so hard to know. I thought my house was updated or at least free of knob and tube. But then we found some :doomed: shit job when we ripped out the kitchen ceiling, where the current standard yellow wire stuff was ELECTRICAL TAPED to knob and tube where the circuit passed underneath the bathtub. Like HOLY SHIT.

Really, it’s impossible to know without tearing the entire house apart. I wouldn’t have bought the house if I was afraid of that risk. It is what it is. Don’t overload circuits and address wiring when you can and I think it’s fine.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:21 am
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:15 am

Really, it’s impossible to know without tearing the entire house apart. I wouldn’t have bought the house if I was afraid of that risk. It is what it is. Don’t overload circuits and address wiring when you can and I think it’s fine.
Sounds like you're good, have a handle on it. I did a few things backwards with my renos and it was a PITA. It'll be fun to follow. :popcorn: