House Plac: From Bag End to Balls Deep

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

coogles wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:30 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:13 pm so you would need 864 to make a 'standard' 3 car. "standard' is just parking its not a place where you can work on things. Thats just like my opinion man.
Of course, and my opinion is that I've worked on my cars plenty inside our little 17'x18' shack. I still maintain that something like 22' x 34' would be perfect. Just for an example, the WIDE Bendpak tandem parking lift is only 20'10" wide. A 10' wide bay is pretty normal, and that'd leave another 4' for cabinets and work space on the one end.

If he wants to build a 27x27 two car instead of a real 3 car that's fine, it's just a strange choice IMO.
My dad's garage is 2 car deep by ~2.25 wide. The extra space from the depth is :mindblown: for working on things. Sure, you can work on things in tight confines, but why?

100% personal preference, and heavily dependent on the lot. I'm thinking something more along the lines of 30x25 2 car.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:34 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:54 am Image

Single post could be a great option too?
That car combo. :jimp:

I'd love a swapped 318ti.
I've thought about a swapped 318ti in the past. Would be awesome.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

coogles wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:08 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:08 am

if thats something you want you defintly need to plan from start

RE; space, 750 is not a three car, and will be odd and have no room for anthing but cars if thats the route you go.

750 with a 2 car/ lift is a proper shop to work on things....even when the other car is parked in there. Mine is 650 and is a little tight but i still work on the cars in the garage itself alot.
:iono:

A "standard" 2 car garage is 24'x24'. If you want to keep that width per bay, you can go 20'10" deep by 36' wide, or pick any combination to keep under the 750 square foot limit. Our two car is all of 17' x 18' and it fits our admittedly smaller vehicles just fine, including space in front of the STi/GTI for mower and other lawn crap. If we move forward with a garage build I'm not going deeper than 20' or 21', I don't want to take up the entire back yard. The lot is 40' wide, so assuming we can get a typically-approved variance to build along the property line just as the existing garage is, I'd do something like 21'x35', so there's enough room between my garage and the neighbor's, also on the property line, to walk through back to the alley. If we ever need a larger vehicle we'd probably replace the RDX with an MDX, which is barely over 16'. Nearly 5' of space in front of the car would be HUGE compared to what we're used to.
:butwhy:
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:24 pm
coogles wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:08 pm

:iono:

A "standard" 2 car garage is 24'x24'. If you want to keep that width per bay, you can go 20'10" deep by 36' wide, or pick any combination to keep under the 750 square foot limit. Our two car is all of 17' x 18' and it fits our admittedly smaller vehicles just fine, including space in front of the STi/GTI for mower and other lawn crap. If we move forward with a garage build I'm not going deeper than 20' or 21', I don't want to take up the entire back yard. The lot is 40' wide, so assuming we can get a typically-approved variance to build along the property line just as the existing garage is, I'd do something like 21'x35', so there's enough room between my garage and the neighbor's, also on the property line, to walk through back to the alley. If we ever need a larger vehicle we'd probably replace the RDX with an MDX, which is barely over 16'. Nearly 5' of space in front of the car would be HUGE compared to what we're used to.
:butwhy:
:notbad: :dat:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:24 pm :butwhy:
:doge: and :baby:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Detroit wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:17 am
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:13 am

That’s communist
Agreed, but whatever.

Michigan blows, but I'm stuck here for at least another few years, so I'll make the best of it while I'm here. At least we love our house, the neighborhood, and the location.
no way to get a variance on the ordinance? The architect should be able to think a bit out the box. is it 750sqft "indoor" or under roof? Maybe a transition space that can open and close? Just not sure how concrete that ordinance is. Also, classifications can go a long way. If its free standing it can be literally anything and not just a "garage/shop". Think "home office" or "outdoor entertaining space".

just my 2 cents from a guy that went to school for this.
ChrisoftheNorth

dubshow wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:58 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:17 am
Agreed, but whatever.

Michigan blows, but I'm stuck here for at least another few years, so I'll make the best of it while I'm here. At least we love our house, the neighborhood, and the location.
no way to get a variance on the ordinance? The architect should be able to think a bit out the box. is it 750sqft "indoor" or under roof? Maybe a transition space that can open and close? Just not sure how concrete that ordinance is. Also, classifications can go a long way. If its free standing it can be literally anything and not just a "garage/shop". Think "home office" or "outdoor entertaining space".

Nah, the city was firm with auxiliary buildings. No variances. Which TBH, is fine...I don't think I want the entire backyard taken up with garage anyway.

Ended up being 748 sq ft...2 car with a ~half car workshop on the side. Ceiling over the car bays tall enough to fit a lifts (12' IIRC) and there's attic space above the workshop area for storage of random shit.

It was designed to accommodate a four post lift in each bay so I can make the 2 car a 4 car. I've budgeted for one lift at first to put the glamper on, but I might :troywax: on two when it comes down to it because #yolo

Will be pretty solid.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:17 pm Nah, the city was firm with auxiliary buildings. No variances. Which TBH, is fine...I don't think I want the entire backyard taken up with garage anyway.

Ended up being 748 sq ft...2 car with a ~half car workshop on the side. Ceiling over the car bays tall enough to fit a lifts (12' IIRC) and there's attic space above the workshop area for storage of random shit.

It was designed to accommodate a four post lift in each bay so I can make the 2 car a 4 car. I've budgeted for one lift at first to put the glamper on, but I might :troywax: on two when it comes down to it because #yolo

Will be pretty solid.
Niiiiiice. :popcorn: :jelly:

What are the dimensions?
ChrisoftheNorth

coogles wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:33 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:17 pm Nah, the city was firm with auxiliary buildings. No variances. Which TBH, is fine...I don't think I want the entire backyard taken up with garage anyway.

Will be pretty solid.

What are the dimensions?
Roughly 33.5 x 22.25 exterior dimensions, so ~32 x 21 inside

I debated going deeper, but I wanted more space for the workshop on the side. Space at the front or rear of a vehicle is somewhat wasted IMO. 21 can still take a fullsize truck with a bit of room to spare.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Detroit wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:17 pm
dubshow wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:58 am

Nah, the city was firm with auxiliary buildings. No variances. Which TBH, is fine...I don't think I want the entire backyard taken up with garage anyway.

Will be pretty solid.
Utilizing verticle space is key. Share some plans.

Also your neighbors looks legit. And it's every bit of 1200 sqft. Measuring says 40x30'
ChrisoftheNorth

dubshow wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:37 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:17 pm

Will be pretty solid.

Also your neighbors looks legit. And it's every bit of 1200 sqft. Measuring says 40x30'
My next door neighbors built their garage in the 80's when he claims there was "no enforceable building code". The city has since revised the code a few times, restricting garages smaller and smaller. Half of the garages in the city are too big for the current code. It's frustrating, but it is what it is.

According to the city, our architect drew "the most detailed plans ever seen for a garage" If you want to dig in, this should do it. Most of it makes no sense to me because a :derp: and not used to this stuff. We agreed to the footprint, exterior style, vertical space, and I let him do whatever needed to be done.

ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:22 pm That garage design is :tits: McGrits.

:megusta:
I'm excited...for the restrictions we had, I'm really pleased with what the architect came up with.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:27 pm
coogles wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:33 pm

What are the dimensions?

I debated going deeper, but I wanted more space for the workshop on the side. Space at the front or rear of a vehicle is somewhat wasted IMO. 21 can still take a fullsize truck with a bit of room to spare.
Plans look great, and pretty much exactly like what I hope to build if we decide to stay in this :haus:. :popcorn: on that, though, we seem to waffle back and forth on a daily basis.
ChrisoftheNorth

coogles wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:11 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:27 pm

Sounds fantastic! Sounds exactly like what I hope to build if we decide to stay in this :haus:. :popcorn: on that, though, we seem to waffle back and forth on a daily basis.
Yea, we waffled back and forth too because have a horrible track record of staying in a house. Ultimately, we decided to just #yolo since this garage will likely increase the house's staying power. I legit love everything about it except the garage that flooded and was falling down. We're fixing that soooo hopefully we'll just stay put for a long time.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:15 pm Yea, we waffled back and forth too because have a horrible track record of staying in a house. Ultimately, we decided to just #yolo since this garage will likely increase the house's staying power. I legit love everything about it except the garage that flooded and was falling down. We're fixing that soooo hopefully we'll just stay put for a long time.
Seems like you should! Cool place with all the space you'd ever need, great location in your metro, and now enough garage space for all the toys.

Might as well drop a :nuke: - :baby: #2 is on the way, so our ~1,750 square foot house with 3 bedrooms is going to be feeling small pretty damn quickly. We'll lose the guest bedroom and my home office space, so any time either set of grandparents comes to stay we'll either have to get a hide-a-bed for them or put them up in a hotel nearby. May or may not be the biggest issues but we'll see how it goes. We really don't want to be suburbs people, the culture and built environment just aren't what we want, but we can't really afford a worthwhile 4 bedroom in our neighborhood. Meh. We'll see.
ChrisoftheNorth

coogles wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:23 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:15 pm Yea, we waffled back and forth too because have a horrible track record of staying in a house. Ultimately, we decided to just #yolo since this garage will likely increase the house's staying power. I legit love everything about it except the garage that flooded and was falling down. We're fixing that soooo hopefully we'll just stay put for a long time.
Seems like you should! Cool place with all the space you'd ever need, great location in your metro, and now enough garage space for all the toys.

Might as well drop a :nuke: - :baby: #2 is on the way, so our ~1,750 square foot house with 3 bedrooms is going to be feeling small pretty damn quickly. We'll lose the guest bedroom and my home office space, so any time either set of grandparents comes to stay we'll either have to get a hide-a-bed for them or put them up in a hotel nearby. May or may not be the biggest issues but we'll see how it goes. We really don't want to be suburbs people, the culture and built environment just aren't what we want, but we can't really afford a worthwhile 4 bedroom in our neighborhood. Meh. We'll see.
:ohdang:

Certainly throws a wrench in the house plans, but if it were me, I wouldn't move. It sounds like we live in similar type areas in our respective metros, and I sure as hell wouldn't leave where we are for the burbs. That's a hard pass for me, but we're also not doing the kid thing. Which people find funny as we sit in our 2,400 sq ft 4 bd house. I wish ours was smaller, but it's already one of the smallest in our hood.

I wouldn't let occasional use cases impact the house decision :doe: Stuff like when people visit and what not is so rare, it's just not worth the extra cost. Unless you're planning on more than 2 kids, then moving might make more sense. And even then just maybe.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:32 pm :ohdang:

Certainly throws a wrench in the house plans, but if it were me, I wouldn't move. It sounds like we live in similar type areas in our respective metros, and I sure as hell wouldn't leave where we are for the burbs. That's a hard pass for me, but we're also not doing the kid thing. Which people find funny as we sit in our 2,400 sq ft 4 bd house. I wish ours was smaller, but it's already one of the smallest in our hood.

I wouldn't let occasional use cases impact the house decision :doe: Stuff like when people visit and what not is so rare, it's just not worth the extra cost. Unless you're planning on more than 2 kids, then moving might make more sense. And even then just maybe.
I hear you on the occasional use case thing, but anymore it feels much more than occasional. In the summer my mom and hers have both been down here from Fort Wayne for a day or two every week to help out while his school isn't in session, and we probably have either my or her parents visiting close to every other weekend. Our little dude is the only grandchild on either side, so there's no shortage of family time. My wife's siblings need to hurry up and get to baby-making to spread out the attention.
ChrisoftheNorth

coogles wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:02 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:32 pm :ohdang:

I hear you on the occasional use case thing, but anymore it feels much more than occasional. In the summer my mom and hers have both been down here from Fort Wayne for a day or two every week to help out while his school isn't in session, and we probably have either my or her parents visiting close to every other weekend. Our little dude is the only grandchild on either side, so there's no shortage of family time. My wife's siblings need to hurry up and get to baby-making to spread out the attention.
Ohhhhhhh I see. That is more than occasional, though as you point out when siblings get busy, that will likely change.

Tough spot indeed.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

:jelly: of the new garage, it will be amazing!

Would probably try to get a little more space on the right side of the garage door so you can pull in and actually swing your door open fully. Every little bit helps.
ChrisoftheNorth

Tarspin wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:59 am :jelly: of the new garage, it will be amazing!

Would probably try to get a little more space on the right side of the garage door so you can pull in and actually swing your door open fully. Every little bit helps.
Talked this over quite a bit with the architect actually. We ended up with what we did because of concern that the bay doors would be pushed too far left, making it difficult to pull in and back out of the left (east) bay. I wanted both bays as close to the right (west) side of the lot as possible so it was easy to pull a car in and out of either. With the required 5' offset from the property line, the garage starts farther east than I would have liked. I hate how restrictive single bay openings are for pulling and backing out a car, so wanted to make it as straight with the driveway as possible. I wanted to do a single double door, but architect recommended individual bays so all the posts of the 4 post lifts would be hidden. I liked that idea more, so that's what we ended up with.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:53 am
Tarspin wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:59 am :jelly: of the new garage, it will be amazing!

Talked this over quite a bit with the architect actually. We ended up with what we did because of concern that the bay doors would be pushed too far left, making it difficult to pull in and back out of the left (east) bay. I wanted both bays as close to the right (west) side of the lot as possible so it was easy to pull a car in and out of either. With the required 5' offset from the property line, the garage starts farther east than I would have liked. I hate how restrictive single bay openings are for pulling and backing out a car, so wanted to make it as straight with the driveway as possible. I wanted to do a single double door, but architect recommended individual bays so all the posts of the 4 post lifts would be hidden. I liked that idea more, so that's what we ended up with.
Ah got it, lot restrictions... it is otherwise a fantastic space. GLWI
ChrisoftheNorth

Tarspin wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:41 am
Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:53 am
I had to make a lot of concessions to keep the city happy...both in footprint and placement. If I had it my way, I would have pushed the garage a few feet further west and deeper...~25 feet. Oh well.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:45 am
Tarspin wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:41 am

I had to make a lot of concessions to keep the city happy...both in footprint and placement. If I had it my way, I would have pushed the garage a few feet further west and deeper...~25 feet. Oh well.
It's pretty cool man! :excited:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:43 pm
dubshow wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:37 pm

My next door neighbors built their garage in the 80's when he claims there was "no enforceable building code". The city has since revised the code a few times, restricting garages smaller and smaller. Half of the garages in the city are too big for the current code. It's frustrating, but it is what it is.

According to the city, our architect drew "the most detailed plans ever seen for a garage" If you want to dig in, this should do it. Most of it makes no sense to me because a :derp: and not used to this stuff. We agreed to the footprint, exterior style, vertical space, and I let him do whatever needed to be done.

Dude, I hadn't seen this, that is so awesome! Congrats.
ChrisoftheNorth

Old POS on its last day:

Bye bitch! The thing was built in the dirt then the slab was poured after inside. Apparently that was common practice and results in a limited lifespan. It came down really easy.

I didn't take pictures of the rest of the demo, but here's where we are now

Footings dug!

Deeep hole

This gives a good idea of the footprint: