House Plac: From Bag End to Balls Deep

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:25 pm
Apex wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:23 pm

:nice: I forget that I have your number somewhere...

It's a long weekend, come out for some trails on Sunday.
Can't. We're in full blast pack/purge mode for the house plac.

Purging is feeling really good.
Are you guys clear to close on the new place yet?

When we moved, it was sooooo nice to purge a bunch of shit.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Apex wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:34 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:25 pm
Can't. We're in full blast pack/purge mode for the house plac.

Purging is feeling really good.

The only thing holding up clear to close on the new place is the closing statement from our current (to show our lender we will have enough for the down). Which is being worked on right now. We're moving up the originally planned closing date, so there's some changes needed to the paperwork.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:33 pm I still have parts for C5, MR2, plus the 3 Audis and :turboyaris: - and a shitload of music gear and computer gear and random fasteners/wood/metal/plastic bits. That and tons and tons of clothes I'll never wear, xmas decorations I'll never put up, kitchen shit I'll never use, etc. :disgust:
:tits: has purged an impressive amount of kitchen crap and holiday decoration garbage. I too have a bunch of random cords, wires, fasteners, metal scraps, etc, etc. I need to just toss it all out.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Apex

Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:41 pm
Apex wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:34 pm

The only thing holding up clear to close on the new place is the closing statement from our current (to show our lender we will have enough for the down). Which is being worked on right now. We're moving up the originally planned closing date, so there's some changes needed to the paperwork.
:notbad:
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:43 pm
troyguitar wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:33 pm I still have parts for C5, MR2, plus the 3 Audis and :turboyaris: - and a shitload of music gear and computer gear and random fasteners/wood/metal/plastic bits. That and tons and tons of clothes I'll never wear, xmas decorations I'll never put up, kitchen shit I'll never use, etc. :disgust:
:tits: has purged an impressive amount of kitchen crap and holiday decoration garbage. I too have a bunch of random cords, wires, fasteners, metal scraps, etc, etc. I need to just toss it all out.
My problem is that I actually do make use of some of that random shit a few times a year or so. That's part of why I question whether I could ever move to an apartment again or really any rental situation where I can't mount shit on the walls. I'm OK with getting rid of a lot of stuff, but not with going full minimalist.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:46 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:43 pm
My problem is that I actually do make use of some of that random shit a few times a year or so. That's part of why I question whether I could ever move to an apartment again or really any rental situation where I can't mount shit on the walls. I'm OK with getting rid of a lot of stuff, but not with going full minimalist.
That's the problem, I make use of some of it just enough to make me second guess tossing, and then I make up potential uses in my head for all the other stuff I don't touch. At this point, I'd be better off just throwing everything out unless I have an immediate need for it. I've been hauling around too much crap from house to house. The garage is the worst, and since we're moving to a place where we're going to tear the garage down anyway, being light on what comes is critical.

But agreed, I could never go full minimalist in an apartment or whatever. No way.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:06 pm And @wap you might appreciate this...

The dude schooled me on the style of the house. It's a "Prairie box" style house, an architectural style that originated in Chicago at the turn of the century. Apparently it was popular until the 20's, and then mostly disappeared. Pretty unique architectural style.

https://architecturestyles.org/prairie/
:word:
I thought it looked familiar. We have those Four Squares all over the Chicago area. Always loved them and the general Prairie and Craftsman style homes and just the overall style of things from the 1910's-1930's. I have a fair amount of furniture from this era. :megusta:

There are tons of things like light fixtures, chandeliers, accent furniture pieces, door knobs, etc, both authentic and reproductions, for you to :pinshit: to your (or :tits: 's) hearts content.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:07 pm ...and just got clear to close on bag end. Everything is official, it's happening.
:fuckyeah: That's really great.
wap

Apex wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:06 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:07 pm ...and just got clear to close on bag end. Everything is official, it's happening.
:fuckyeah:

Also, glad to see you back!
:dat:
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:10 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:06 pm And @wap you might appreciate this...

The dude schooled me on the style of the house. It's a "Prairie box" style house, an architectural style that originated in Chicago at the turn of the century. Apparently it was popular until the 20's, and then mostly disappeared. Pretty unique architectural style.

https://architecturestyles.org/prairie/
I thought it looked familiar. We have those Four Squares all over the Chicago area. Always loved them and the general Prairie and Craftsman style homes and just the overall style of things from the 1910's-1930's. I have a fair amount of furniture from this era. :megusta:

There are tons of things like light fixtures, chandeliers, accent furniture pieces, door knobs, etc, both authentic and reproductions, for you to :pinshit: to your (or :tits: 's) hearts content.
House managed to keep a lot of its original touches from 1910. Door handles, hinges, etc. Many of the light fixtures were changed, so we'll be trying to track down originals and reproductions where possible. House has a lot of sconces, and :tits: wants to find some original looking ones where we can.

Furniture will take some effort, but it'll be a "fun" hunt.

Overall, we're really excited about the restoration prospects of the house. We both would like to make it look as close to it did in 1910 as possible in details, though we'll probably have more modern furniture because I'm a giant and :tits: wants a fancy bathroom and kitchen.
wap

Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:14 pm
wap wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:10 pm

House managed to keep a lot of its original touches from 1910. Door handles, hinges, etc. Many of the light fixtures were changed, so we'll be trying to track down originals and reproductions where possible. House has a lot of sconces, and :tits: wants to find some original looking ones where we can.

Overall, we're really excited about the restoration prospects of the house. We both would like to make it look as close to it did in 1910 as possible in details, though we'll probably have more modern furniture because I'm a giant and :tits: wants a fancy bathroom and kitchen.
:megusta:
It's gonna be fun to follow your new :haus: thread.

Do you have any antique fairs at like local county fairgrounds during the summer? There's one out in Central Illinois that has a yuuge one from spring to fall. We bought many carloads of furniture, a dining room chandelier, carnival glass, tables, and other stuff for our old :haus: for :notbad: prices. If you have one or 2 of those they could be a good resource for you.

:popcorn:
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:23 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:14 pm

Do you have any antique fairs at like local county fairgrounds during the summer? There's one out in Central Illinois that has a yuuge one from spring to fall. We bought many carloads of furniture, a dining room chandelier, carnival glass, tables, and other stuff for our old :haus: for :notbad: prices. If you have one or 2 of those they could be a good resource for you.

:ohdang:

Will look into this idea. We have salvage places that part out tear down houses that tend to have really cool stuff, but we'll need to check out for some fairs.
wap

Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:27 pm
wap wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:23 pm

Will look into this idea. We have salvage places that part out tear down houses that tend to have really cool stuff, but we'll need to check out for some fairs.
We've had a lot of luck at ours. We haven't gone for a few years :doe: because there's a limit to how much furniture you can buy. From memory, here is a list of what we bought:

Walnut dining room side server to match our existing 1920's set.
Oak hall tree - 1910's
Oak secretary desk - 1900's
Tall narrow pine book case that we display various tchotchkes and small pictures, etc
:waxer: oak book case with glass doors - 1890's
Sofa table, end table, cedar trunk we use as a coffee table, and small humidor that we use as an end table - all all walnut from 1910's-1920's
Display cabinet to display my grandmother's china tea set in the dining room
Dining room chandelier with carnival glass shades
various carnival glass doo-dads
A complete 80 year old dining room set for my mom that was in virtually new condition

We bought other stuff from other antique stores in Illinois and Wisconsin as well.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:48 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:27 pm

We've had a lot of luck at ours. We haven't gone for a few years :doe: because there's a limit to how much furniture you can buy. From memory, here is a list of what we bought:

Oak hall tree - 1910's
Tall narrow pine book case that we display various tchotchkes and small pictures, etc
Sofa table, end table, cedar trunk we use as a coffee table, and small humidor that we use as an end table - all all walnut from 1910's-1920's
A complete 80 year old dining room set for my mom that was in virtually new condition

We bought other stuff from other antique stores in Illinois and Wisconsin as well.
:impressive:

5/7 will share our finds. We’re stoked on the old house thing.
wap

Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:30 pm
wap wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:48 pm

Oak hall tree - 1910's

Cool.
Old houses can be a pain, but they're also very rewarding if you get a good one as we did, and as it seems you did.
Definitely interested in seeing what you find. :megusta:
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:35 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:30 pm

Cool.
Old houses can be a pain, but they're also very rewarding if you get a good one as we did, and as it seems you did.
Fortunately, we've lived through all the old house shit with Bag End. New house will still have issues as all houses do, but there isn't much I won't be expecting.

Going to be fun for sure.
wap

Detroit wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:38 am
wap wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:35 pm

Cool.
Fortunately, we've lived through all the old house shit with Bag End. New house will still have issues as all houses do, but there isn't much I won't be expecting.

Going to be fun for sure.
No doubt!
:gonbgud:
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:43 pm I like old houses too.

We're gonna need a name for the new :haus: Dplac.
Mordor. :iono:
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

Apex wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:07 pm
[user not found] wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:43 pm I like old houses too.

We're gonna need a name for the new :haus: Dplac.
Helm's Deep.
Apex

SAWCE wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:21 pm
Apex wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:07 pm

Helm's Deep.
SAWCE

Apex wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:02 pm

Helm's Deep.
I wanted to go Dwarvish, but Khazad-Dum is too much to type out, and we don't have the accent marks.
SAWCE

[user not found] wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:36 pm

Helm's Deep.
Meduseld.

Rohan is full of prairies.

I think I'm gonna have to watch these this weekend. Do one each day...
ChrisoftheNorth

Helm's Deep.
Meduseld.

The house is “prairie box” :doe:

Doesn’t look as “middle earth” as our current house IMO

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/9-Ke ... 2276_zpid/
ChrisoftheNorth

SAWCE wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:46 pm

Meduseld.

We’ve done this almost once a winter. Start with the hobbit movies, then LoTR.

It makes for a long weekend, but when there’s nothing else to do, why not?
SAWCE

Detroit wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:59 pm
SAWCE wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:46 pm

We’ve done this almost once a winter. Start with the hobbit movies, then LoTR.

It makes for a long weekend, but when there’s nothing else to do, why not?
I still haven't seen the Hobbit movies :( We'll I watched the first one. Was waiting until they all came out on blu-ray with the extended editions, and then I forgot about them. I'm sure those are out now as a box set that I can grab for relatively cheap. I'll look.