House Plac: From Bag End to Balls Deep

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Detroit wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:54 am When we had the house inspected, the inspector said that the house electrical was updated, save for a few circuits in the basement that are dead. I found one that appears to still be live for lighting in the basement only, but I haven't tested it yet.

The kitchen and bathroom above it (the biggest risk for knob and tube) were previously gutted to the studs and all rewired according to the PO. Wiring going up to these rooms from the basement are all romex. Further, I was adventuring in the eves on the 3rd floor and all the outlets and lights on the third floor are wired with Romex. If they went that far, I believe the inspector that the house is updated.
Sounds like you're probably pretty much ok then. Good to hear. :like:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

Detroit wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:54 am When we had the house inspected, the inspector said that the house electrical was updated, save for a few circuits in the basement that are dead. I found one that appears to still be live for lighting in the basement only, but I haven't tested it yet.

The kitchen and bathroom above it (the biggest risk for knob and tube) were previously gutted to the studs and all rewired according to the PO. Wiring going up to these rooms from the basement are all romex. Further, I was adventuring in the eves on the 3rd floor and all the outlets and lights on the third floor are wired with Romex. If they went that far, I believe the inspector that the house is updated.
Also, I wish Romex were legal in Illinois. We have to use conduit or, at minimum, BX or Greenfield. :rolleyes: :butwhy:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

wap wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:02 pm

Also, I wish Romex were legal in Illinois. We have to use conduit or, at minimum, BX or Greenfield. :rolleyes: :butwhy:
My cousin who lives in Mokena rebuilt a house to the studs. Somehow, he did the wiring and drywall over it before getting an inspection. The inspector made him rip down all the drywall and run the wire through conduit.

:mindblown: :butwhy:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
wap

Detroit wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:05 pm
wap wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:02 pm
My cousin who lives in Mokena rebuilt a house to the studs. Somehow, he did the wiring and drywall over it before getting an inspection. The inspector made him rip down all the drywall and run the wire through conduit.

Wait, he used Romex? Yea that's a no-no here. So he had to re-run all the Romex through rigid conduit. Sounds par for the course here.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:07 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:05 pm

Wait, he used Romex? Yea that's a no-no here. So he had to re-run all the Romex through rigid conduit. Sounds par for the course here.
Yep, exactly. Ridiculous.

So, did you go through your walls and rip out all the knob and tube?
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
wap

Detroit wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:09 pm
wap wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:07 pm
Yep, exactly. Ridiculous.

So, did you go through your walls and rip out all the knob and tube?
I found some remnants of knob and tube in the attic, like literally some bits of ceramic knobs and tubes with no wires going through them so I figured it was all long since dead. Plus, our inspector found that we had MANY hot-neutral reversed outlets all over the house so I've had most outlets pulled out of the wall to fix them and I almost always found rubber insulation on the wires which told me the wiring was much newer than K&T. I also had all our attic wiring plus anything that could be reached from up there replaced about 7 years after we moved in. Basically they replaced old 2 wire BX with new 3 wire BX or Greenfield which took care of the second floor and attic. It was hilarious. They had this enormous ball of old BX that they pulled out and tossed out the attic window. It must have been almost 3 feet in diameter. The previous owner had partially refinished the basement so all the wiring down there is newish. I replaced ceiling fans in the living room and the chandelier in the dining room plus added 2 wall sconces also in the dining room and all the wiring I encountered in those rooms was post K&T. The kitchen/dinette and garage were addressed when those were remodeled/rebuilt back in 2006. That leaves only 1 room I'm a bit :notsure: about; our down stairs bathroom, and when I replaced the outlet there with a GFCI I also found rubber insulation so I'm probably OK.
ChrisoftheNorth

We started moving things upstairs yesterday, and as we did I peeked inside uncovered outlet boxes. Sure enough, every wire I can see has rubber insulation, indicating romex most likely. Certainly not knob and tube.

Floors turned out :mindblown: and we're finally getting the dining room emptied of upstairs stuff. Also setup the smallest room (that I wouldn't know what to do with it anyway) as a walk-in closet for :tits: Looks :notbad: and she's really happy with it. Pics to come.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Detroit wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:37 am We started moving things upstairs yesterday, and as we did I peeked inside uncovered outlet boxes. Sure enough, every wire I can see has rubber insulation, indicating romex most likely. Certainly not knob and tube.

Floors turned out :mindblown: and we're finally getting the dining room emptied of upstairs stuff. Also setup the smallest room (that I wouldn't know what to do with it anyway) as a walk-in closet for :tits: Looks :notbad: and she's really happy with it. Pics to come.
So it has the 3rd copper wire for grounding? You should be good to go. 2 wire is teh old shit. If it has 3 wire, it was likely updated in the 80s or 90s.
Desertbreh
Command Chief Master Sirloin

Nice wiring problems from the Roman Empire guys.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
wap

Detroit wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:37 am We started moving things upstairs yesterday, and as we did I peeked inside uncovered outlet boxes. Sure enough, every wire I can see has rubber insulation, indicating romex most likely. Certainly not knob and tube.

:fuckyeah: news about the wiring!
wap

dubshow wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:13 am

So it has the 3rd copper wire for grounding? You should be good to go. 2 wire is teh old shit. If it has 3 wire, it was likely updated in the 80s or 90s.
3rd (ground) wire could also be aluminum.
wap

Desertbreh wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:43 pm Nice wiring problems from the Roman Empire guys.
:lol:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:01 pm
[user not found] wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:29 pm

Dplac's still building the :pinshit: lists. Not ready for publication yet.
:dat:

1.) Repaint everything. Literally every room
2.) Strip painted woodwork starting with the baseboards and door frames on stairway and upstairs, then moving to dining room then living room
:butwhy:

IIRC most of the rooms actually looked really nice. There were like 2 I'd paint.
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:34 am
Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:01 pm
:dat:

1.) Repaint everything. Literally every room
2.) Strip painted woodwork starting with the baseboards and door frames on stairway and upstairs, then moving to dining room then living room

IIRC most of the rooms actually looked really nice. There were like 2 I'd paint.
Because :tits:

I'm fine with all the rooms, she is not. "Making it our own" or whatever :pinshit: :bs:

:rolleyes:
ChrisoftheNorth

I do want to strip the woodwork :doe: It's all really nice oak. It doesn't deserve to be painted.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:11 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:34 am

I'm fine with all the rooms, she is not. "Making it our own" or whatever :pinshit: :bs:

I do want to strip the woodwork :doe: It's all really nice oak. It doesn't deserve to be painted.
Well at least you know where you stand re: painting

I also like some nice woodwork. As long as it makes sense as part of the larger interior design.
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:37 am
Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:11 am

I also like some nice woodwork. As long as it makes sense as part of the larger interior design.
The house was originally all natural woodwork. Can tell because the paint just flakes off on spots showing the original finish underneath. Makes it a lot easier to strip.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:10 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:37 am

The house was originally all natural woodwork. Can tell because the paint just flakes off on spots showing the original finish underneath. Makes it a lot easier to strip.
:pinshit: pics or gtfo.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:57 pm
dubshow wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:56 pm

dang, youve moved. I missed a lot.
Too busy buying saleboats, Ray Ray.
bruh. ray ray is super into this stupidly expensive broken ass sail boat. I guess I should update my sailing thread. :dubshow:

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2003/moody-54-3252153/
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

dubshow wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:52 am

bruh. ray ray is super into this stupidly expensive broken ass sail boat. I guess I should update my sailing thread. :dubshow:

:lolol:
brain go brrrrrr
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

What could possibly go wrong?
Desertbreh

SHIPPING AVAILABLE!!!
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:33 pm

SHIPPING AVAILABLE!!!
:fuckyeah:

that should surely sink it...
Desertbreh

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:39 pm

What could possibly go wrong?
To be fair, a helluva lot less than a powerboat.
wap

Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:11 am I do want to strip the woodwork :doe: It's all really nice oak. It doesn't deserve to be painted.
:bravo:
I feel the same. One thing that drew me to our house was that the woodwork was not painted downstairs. It was painted upstairs, but I :aintcare: enough to not bother stripping it since no one goes up there besides us.