House Plac: From Bag End to Balls Deep

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

dubshow wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:44 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:28 pm We could be looking at $100-$150k over what we purchased it at.

We have put $80k into it, :doe:

:fullretard:
:disgust:

your :plac: :math: is so guud.
Right?

I know real profit in the 20-50k range. Still, we only put $30k down, so I'm in it for $110. 20-50k is an 18-45% ROI

Factor in taxes and interest and it's probably nearer break-even, but those have been significant tax benefits for me, so it's hard to quantify. Taxes and interest would be paid on any house, so breaking even including them is :notbad: to me.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:44 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:47 pm For those new to the thread, basically going to try to :scrooge: on a house that requires some expert level pinshitting in a :waxer: area that we can't otherwise "afford" five streets up from the Bag End 1.0 (BE 1.0). Lower property taxes, better services, nicer houses, all the good stuff.

Have significant "profit" in BE 1.0, but we're not selling unless we can :scrooge: to the new house.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/46-C ... 2581_zpid/

List: $425k
Offer: $405k

Considered a "low ball" and the listing agent doesn't like our lender and doesn't want to present the offer to his clients.

:popcorn:
thats not hideous :doe:
The inside is terrible. Every room has god awful wallpaper that needs to come down. Kitchen appliances are at least 30 years old, cabinets the same.

But really, it wouldn't take much to make this thing look like a pinshit dream.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Oh, and the bathroom that they stuck barnwood all over. Horrible.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:49 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:44 pm

thats not hideous :doe:
The inside is terrible. Every room has god awful wallpaper that needs to come down. Kitchen appliances are at least 30 years old, cabinets the same.

I mean from a layout and major finishes standpoint. Take down some wall paper and paint, update counters and appliances, do something with the hideous bathroom and its suddenly :notbad:

If DIY'ing it its only 1 year of your sanity and ~20k, not including the move. I also see a 2 car garage not falling down with lots of overhead storage potential.
brain go brrrrrr
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:45 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:42 pm

For everyone except :mahtroy: from 08-now however... if you bought from 05-08 and tried to sell in 09-12 you were in for ass pounding
so I'll only buy something significantly under market value so we don't get screwed. We're in a good position with our current house, and I don't want to lose that.
market value is a thing that can rapidly change too. I'd always look at "value" in contrast to what it costs to build today. $120-140/sqft for new construction gets you a basis of where to start in value. add in other perks like school, location, utilities, quality/luxury, taxes: thats all the swing of market.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:49 pm Oh, and the bathroom that they stuck barnwood all over. Horrible.
well if its stuck on and the tile is still ok underneath there is hope. Everything old is new again and grays are in like flyn.
brain go brrrrrr
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:33 pm
dubshow wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:00 pm

I dont think this member base placs houses as often as cars. Might be slow updates.
This is basically going to be Michele's thread.
Yup! :lolol:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:27 pm
dubshow wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:26 pm

:wrong:

Not if primary residence for 3 years and not if you make OVER $250k or $500k for married... I dont see anyone of us plebs making $250k from a "flip"

My dad is in this situation... once they decide to sell the house it is a 1.5Million "income" :disgust:
Beats the hell out of living in Sioux Falls and having a $40,000 non taxable event.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

speaking of waxing:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3046 ... lpage=true

:waxer:

I like the roof top.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

That looks :jimp:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

How much @dubshow?
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

dubshow wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:09 pm speaking of waxing:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3046 ... lpage=true

:waxer:

I like the roof top.
that's nice but there about 100 things i literally cant even about that house
brain go brrrrrr
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Wife and I almost :plac: ed on this house -
http://www.talktotucker.com/idx/6305-gr ... 4891_spid/

It's not at all what we would normally think of as our style, but I loved the modern feel, the three seasons room, the two tiered deck, the basketball pad and fire pit in the back. What killed it for us was the neighborhood. No sidewalks, a few houses that weren't very well cared for, nothing at all to walk to, just a very different feel than the walkable, active neighborhood we're used to. Still get wistful about it, though, even a few weeks later.

Last edited by coogles on Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Tarspin wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:19 pm How much @dubshow?
Link says $750k
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

coogles wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:21 pm Wife and I almost :plac:ed on this house -

It's not at all what we would normally think of as our style, but I loved the modern feel, the three seasons room, the two tiered deck, the basketball pad and fire pit in the back. What killed it for us was the neighborhood. No sidewalks, a few houses that weren't very well cared for, nothing at all to walk to, just a very different feel than the walkable, active neighborhood we're used to. Still get wistful about it, though, even a few weeks later.

That's really nice man. A tad :waxer: I couldn't afford it. But you'd live next to Zilches.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

dubshow wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:21 pm
Tarspin wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:19 pm How much @dubshow?
Link says $750k
:derp: don't know why my brain failed to see the price.

Anyone have experience with a flat roof? I've always been paranoid about those.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

coogles wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:21 pm Wife and I almost :plac: ed on this house -

:jimp:
brain go brrrrrr
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

coogles wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:21 pm Wife and I almost :plac: ed on this house -

That looks awesome, and a lot of house for 400k.. I need to get out of California.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Tarspin wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:27 pm

Link says $750k

COME HOME TO THIS MASTERPIECE BY KEEPER DEVELOPMENT! NEW CONSTRUCTION 3 BEDROOM PENTHOUSE UNIT WITH UNREAL PVT ROOF TOP DECK FEATURING BUILT-IN GRILL, GAS FIRE PIT, & PERGOLA! NOT A SINGLE DETAIL OVERLOOKED. THE OPEN KITCHEN FEATURES WHITE QUARTZ CTS, CUSTOM SPAR ITALIAN CABINETS,WOLF M SERIES+SUBZERO APPLNCS. PLENTY OF ROOM FOR FULL DINING SET IN ADDTN TO ISLAND BAR SEATING. WHITE OAK HRDWD FLRNG THRUOUT, ELECTRIC FP IN LR. SERENE MSTER BATH W JETTED TUB, SEP SHOWER W/ STEAM, BODY SPRAYERS AND RAIN SHWR. HEATED PORECLINOSA TILE FLRING AND TOTO TOILET. INTERIOR UNIT STAIRCASE, CMPLTE WITH WET BAR & WINE FRIDGE, LEADS TO THE ROOF TOP DECK W/ CITY VIEWS. GENEROUS TERRACE OFF OF THE LIVING ROOM AS WELL AS SPACE IN BACK. LEGRAND OUTLETS, STEP LIGHTING, SURROUND SOUND & SPEAKERS, AND WNDW TRTMNTS INCLD! CLOSED FOAM CELL INSULATION OFFERS ENERGY EFFICIENCY AND SOUND PROOFING. GARAGE PARKING INCL. 1 BLOCK FROM BURLEY SCHOOL AND NEW WHOLE FOODS! NOT YOUR TYPICAL UNIT!

FLAT ROOF ARE GREAT IN DRY CLIMATES. DOES CHI TOWN EVEN GET RAIN, I NOW ITS WINDY AF MAKING THAT TOP DECK GREAT TO USE IF YOU HAVE LOTS OF FRIENDS OF THE FAIRER SEX THAT LIKE TO WEAR DRESSES.
brain go brrrrrr
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:49 pm

COME HOME TO THIS MASTERPIECE BY KEEPER DEVELOPMENT! NEW CONSTRUCTION 3 BEDROOM PENTHOUSE UNIT WITH UNREAL PVT ROOF TOP DECK FEATURING BUILT-IN GRILL, GAS FIRE PIT, & PERGOLA! NOT A SINGLE DETAIL OVERLOOKED. THE OPEN KITCHEN FEATURES WHITE QUARTZ CTS, CUSTOM SPAR ITALIAN CABINETS,WOLF M SERIES+SUBZERO APPLNCS. PLENTY OF ROOM FOR FULL DINING SET IN ADDTN TO ISLAND BAR SEATING. WHITE OAK HRDWD FLRNG THRUOUT, ELECTRIC FP IN LR. SERENE MSTER BATH W JETTED TUB, SEP SHOWER W/ STEAM, BODY SPRAYERS AND RAIN SHWR. HEATED PORECLINOSA TILE FLRING AND TOTO TOILET. INTERIOR UNIT STAIRCASE, CMPLTE WITH WET BAR & WINE FRIDGE, LEADS TO THE ROOF TOP DECK W/ CITY VIEWS. GENEROUS TERRACE OFF OF THE LIVING ROOM AS WELL AS SPACE IN BACK. LEGRAND OUTLETS, STEP LIGHTING, SURROUND SOUND & SPEAKERS, AND WNDW TRTMNTS INCLD! CLOSED FOAM CELL INSULATION OFFERS ENERGY EFFICIENCY AND SOUND PROOFING. GARAGE PARKING INCL. 1 BLOCK FROM BURLEY SCHOOL AND NEW WHOLE FOODS! NOT YOUR TYPICAL UNIT!

FLAT ROOF ARE GREAT IN DRY CLIMATES. DOES CHI TOWN EVEN GET RAIN, I NOW ITS WINDY AF MAKING THAT TOP DECK GREAT TO USE IF YOU HAVE LOTS OF FRIENDS OF THE FAIRER SEX THAT LIKE TO WEAR DRESSES.
We've had over 26" of rain so far this year, 10" above normal YTD.

Why are you shouting?
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Link says $750k

If designed properly, id prefer them 100 to 1 of a shingle roof. The term flat roof is a misnomer. They have a very slight slop and typical drain to a scupper (low point roof drain) or out an opening in a side wall.

If design or installed poorly, you are at the mercy of the weather.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

wap wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:53 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:49 pm

We've had over 26" of rain so far this year, 10" above normal YTD.

Why are you shouting?
THE AGENT THAT STANDS TO MAKE 22 FUCKING GRAND OFF THIS SALE DID IT SO I THOUGHT IT WAS COOL
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:53 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:49 pm

I mean from a layout and major finishes standpoint. Take down some wall paper and paint, update counters and appliances, do something with the hideous bathroom and its suddenly :notbad:

If DIY'ing it its only 1 year of your sanity and ~20k, not including the move. I also see a 2 car garage not falling down with lots of overhead storage potential.
Interesting. You see it the same way we do.

The garage foundation is jacked, just like my current one. It's probably a tear-down to fix it right, but it'll do for a while.
ChrisoftheNorth

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:55 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:49 pm Oh, and the bathroom that they stuck barnwood all over. Horrible.
well if its stuck on and the tile is still ok underneath there is hope. Everything old is new again and grays are in like flyn.
They actually stuck it on the walls and not the tile. The tile is in great shape. All that bathroom needs is the wood pried off, whatever wall repair underneath complete and painted. Swap the toilet out, glaze the tub white and change out the vanity. Brand new bathroom for $1k.
ChrisoftheNorth

Holy hell. That's a lot of house for the price. Looks mint too. That would be a tough one to pass on.

How long have you been doing the "active walkable" lyfestyle? We managed 3 years before we just got over it.