House Plac: From Bag End to Balls Deep

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

I would move to Hurricane, UT RIGHT NOW if I were able. Been there many times, it's where I want to be.

BUT, nowhere to work. And I can't land a gig doing remote stuff, so I'll keep the :pinshit: palace going in Pleasant Ridge.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:44 am I would move to Hurricane, UT RIGHT NOW if I were able. Been there many times, it's where I want to be.

BUT, nowhere to work. And I can't land a gig doing remote stuff, so I'll keep the :pinshit: palace going in Pleasant Ridge.
Yeah, this is where I luck out, being remote is no big deal for my company, so many people are around the world anyway. I might have to come to California 3 days a year after I leave.
ChrisoftheNorth

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:47 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:44 am I would move to Hurricane, UT RIGHT NOW if I were able. Been there many times, it's where I want to be.

Yeah, this is where I luck out, being remote is no big deal for my company, so many people are around the world anyway. I might have to come to California 3 days a year after I leave.
Ideal situation. I'd do exactly what you're doing if I could.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:48 am
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:47 am

Ideal situation. I'd do exactly what you're doing if I could.
#metoo
ChrisoftheNorth

I need to figure out a way into a company that does this.

I just had someone email me saying they can't wait to get back in the office because it's so hard to get thing done from home.

:wat: I'm busy as hell and my throughput is insane...no different from the office.

:rolleyes:
Wocka Wocka
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Nothing Good

Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:01 pm I need to figure out a way into a company that does this.

I just had someone email me saying they can't wait to get back in the office because it's so hard to get thing done from home.

:wat: I'm busy as hell and my throughput is insane...no different from the office.

Morans gonna moran.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:01 pm I need to figure out a way into a company that does this.

For me, in my job I get easily 20% more done in a day from home than when I am in the office, more on some days.

I get to work through my commute, putting in more hours w/o feeling it.

People are really reluctant to pick up a phone and call someone, but they just LOVE to wander by your work area and blow 20 minutes of your time talking about the latest gossip.
In the last 6 months I've really been able to use the time to dig deeper into ASIL and ISO 26262, which has been good for what I do for work. I wouldn't have had the time otherwise.
ChrisoftheNorth

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:31 pm

For me, in my job I get easily 20% more done in a day from home than when I am in the office, more on some days.

People are really reluctant to pick up a phone and call someone, but they just LOVE to wander by your work area and blow 20 minutes of your time talking about the latest gossip.
In the last 6 months I've really been able to use the time to dig deeper into ASIL and ISO 26262, which has been good for what I do for work. I wouldn't have had the time otherwise.
:dat:

About to send you a PM BTW.
Devilchrono
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: 22’ Chevy Blazer

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:31 pm

:dat:

However, for me, it's a little different in that I have to help juggle watching the kiddo around mine and my wifes schedule now, since schools are closed and she's trying to do remote teaching/learning with the students. I'm getting the same amount of work done that I do in the office on a regular day, but it's a different challenge for me for sure.

I just wish I was able to do more of what I had initially signed on to do from a Project Management perspective, rather than being a glorified babysitters for a handful of customers.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:10 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:48 pm

Didn't know this was a thing with you. Got house plans you can share?
I haven't done the OHV thing in forever, mostly due to lack of convenience.

I will pull the plans for the base house together and post them. Nothing too crazy. 4k square feet, 3 car garage + RV garage.
Ugh... Plans may be changing.

Wife loves Hurricane, but expressed that she wanted to be a bit closer to her mom since she will be driving to see her often. From Hurricane to her mom is 3.5 hours each way. She wants to reconsider the Vegas area which puts us about 1 hour 20 minutes away from her mom.

Looking in the Vegas area for something competitive today.

A couple good things about this change would be that Vegas has much more infrastructure for medical needs, and they have more stores than Hurricane/St. George has for shopping.
Apex

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:27 pm

I will pull the plans for the base house together and post them. Nothing too crazy. 4k square feet, 3 car garage + RV garage.

Wife loves Hurricane, but expressed that she wanted to be a bit closer to her mom since she will be driving to see her often. From Hurricane to her mom is 3.5 hours each way. She wants to reconsider the Vegas area which puts us about 1 hour 20 minutes away from her mom.

A couple good things about this change would be that Vegas has much more infrastructure for medical needs, and they have more stores than Hurricane/St. George has for shopping.
That’s not the worst change of plans.

Interesting to see how the Vegas market looks comparatively.
ChrisoftheNorth

The middle of nowhereness of the St. George/Hurricane area could be concerning, agreed. Areas around Vegas seem like they could have some pretty excellent values.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Apex wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:28 pm

Quick glance says everything comparable on paper (not nitty gritty details) that started out around $500k in Hurricane is starting about $600k in Vegas.

This was a quick find, looking for something with an RV garage to be a shop:

http://vps1.alpha-vision.com/app/v4.7/a ... 11dw1t1o0z

They have another with a detached RV garage too:

These are on 1/2 acre lots which is fine in the Vegas area. Just need room for a pool, a place for the dog to go to the bathroom and my grills. We went through all this over the last year, so I really don't care where it is anymore as long as I have enough garage space with headroom for a lift, and fast internet.
Last edited by CorvetteWaxer on Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisoftheNorth

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:44 pm

Quick glance says everything comparable on paper (not nitty gritty details) that started out around $500k in Hurricane is starting about $600k in Vegas.

These are on 1/2 acre lots which is fine in the Vegas area. Just need room for a pool, a place for the dog to go to the bathroom and my grills. We went through all this over the last year, so I really don't care where it is anymore as long as I have enough garage space with headroom for a lift, and fast internet.
:wtf: is a "Planning Center"? Fancy closet? :lolol:

Half acre should be plenty IMO. Too much land that isn't just natural can be a PITA that you don't want to take care of.
Apex

:notbad:

Rainbow Crossing Elite. :gay:
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:53 pm

:wtf: is a "Planning Center"? Fancy closet? :lolol:

Half acre should be plenty IMO. Too much land that isn't just natural can be a PITA that you don't want to take care of.
I think the "planning center" is a spot to put a PC or something, or the option is to turn that area into a wet bar.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Just noticed I linked to the same one twice. Edited it to add the second one, which is here:

SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:32 pm Just noticed I linked to the same one twice. Edited it to add the second one, which is here:

Oh hell yeah, get that one for the :massles: flex space.
ChrisoftheNorth

SAWCE wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:54 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:32 pm Just noticed I linked to the same one twice. Edited it to add the second one, which is here:

5/7 would flex space over planning center.

But to me, the biggest difference is the 2nd master on the first floor of the first one. If this is to be a "forever" house, that first floor master could end up being super valuable when you don't want to deal with stairs anymore. "Bedroom 5" on the 2nd one probably wouldn't cut it for a full-time master IMO.
SAWCE

Detroit wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:09 pm
SAWCE wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:54 pm

5/7 would flex space over planning center.

But to me, the biggest difference is the 2nd master on the first floor of the first one. If this is to be a "forever" house, that first floor master could end up being super valuable when you don't want to deal with stairs anymore. "Bedroom 5" on the 2nd one probably wouldn't cut it for a full-time master IMO.
:notwrong:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Where does Mom live? What happened to Reno? I understand this isn't my life, but Reno is much more :wub: :wub: to me than Las Vegas.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Wocka Wocka
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Nothing Good

FWIW, :tits: had a friend who lived in the Vegas metro and they talked about how :notbad: it was all the time. Cost of living isn’t crazy and as long as you’re not a compulsive gambler, you’ll be solid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SAWCE

Wocka Wocka wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:32 pm FWIW, :tits: had a friend who lived in the Vegas metro and they talked about how :notbad: it was all the time. Cost of living isn’t crazy and as long as you’re not a compulsive gambler, you’ll be solid.

:waxer: doesn’t gamble, he wins.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:00 pm

Where does Mom live? What happened to Reno? I understand this isn't my life, but Reno is much more :wub: :wub: to me than Las Vegas.
Her Mom is right on the border of Arizona and Nevada by Laughlin, on the Arizona side.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:48 pm
Wocka Wocka wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:32 pm FWIW, :tits: had a friend who lived in the Vegas metro and they talked about how :notbad: it was all the time. Cost of living isn’t crazy and as long as you’re not a compulsive gambler, you’ll be solid.

:waxer: doesn’t gamble, he wins.
:dat: is generally true. I'm definitely still in the black and had a good year. My taxes and W2G's indicate I won $243K in 2019, but I only deposited $151k of it into the bank. So I put a lot back.