House Plac: From Bag End to Balls Deep

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

:dat: beautiful gayrage
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

[user not found] wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:50 am Hot dang do I have some garage envy. :jelly:

Nice work.
Thanks! Very excited.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

That's fucking rad. :megusta:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Fucking garage Mahal. Fucking sweet. :jelly:
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Awesome gayrage, dude. 5/7
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Detroit wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:58 am Quick shot of the outside, painting was finished on Friday...

looking awesome man
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth

Thanks dudes!

I borrowed my dad's 12' ladder to get up into the attic storage space and finally got that organized yesterday.

When the electricians installed the overhead garage door lights, they did so opposite of eachother, that's today's project to swap them. Also working on adding soffit downlighting using some of my leftover 12v landscape lights.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
wap

Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:11 am Thanks dudes!

I borrowed my dad's 12' ladder to get up into the attic storage space and finally got that organized yesterday.

When the electricians installed the overhead garage door lights, they did so opposite of eachother, that's today's project to swap them. Also working on adding soffit downlighting using some of my leftover 12v landscape lights.
:wat:
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:58 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:11 am Thanks dudes!

I've got jack shaft openers on each of the doors...and they come with a wirelessly controlled overhead light (required by code, but also handy). There was no indication which light was tied to which opener, so the electricians (honestly going above and beyond) just put a light up over each bay. Unfortunately, they got mixed up, so when you open the right door, the light over the left bay turns on, and vice versa. Will be an easy fix to swap them...but has been low on my priority list. My list has been getting shorter, so the lights are near the top now.
wap

Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:24 am

I've got jack shaft openers on each of the doors...and they come with a wirelessly controlled overhead light (required by code, but also handy). There was no indication which light was tied to which opener, so the electricians (honestly going above and beyond) just put a light up over each bay. Unfortunately, they got mixed up, so when you open the right door, the light over the left bay turns on, and vice versa. Will be an easy fix to swap them...but has been low on my priority list. My list has been getting shorter, so the lights are near the top now.
Ah. Got it. Makes sense now. :like:
Apex
Drives: Abominable

The mental picture of this amuses me wayyyyy more than it should. :lol:
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:45 pm
Yea...the first time I saw it made me :lolol:

Told the wife I was going to work on that this afternoon and she said she didn't even notice. :lolol: :really:
Wocka Wocka
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Nothing Good

Apex wrote:
Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:24 am I've got jack shaft openers on each of the doors...and they come with a wirelessly controlled overhead light (required by code, but also handy). There was no indication which light was tied to which opener, so the electricians (honestly going above and beyond) just put a light up over each bay. Unfortunately, they got mixed up, so when you open the right door, the light over the left bay turns on, and vice versa. Will be an easy fix to swap them...but has been low on my priority list. My list has been getting shorter, so the lights are near the top now.
Same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:41 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:52 pm
Listing photos? Inspection when we bought it? Who knows. I'm fighting it with data tho.
The big thing here, in my opinion, is that if it's not livable square footage then they have no basis to increase your assessment. unless they can prove similar properties with upgraded garages consistently sell for more. The simple fact of the matter is garage is not considered living space, and they have a pretty thin case if you challenge it unless it can be considered living space.
The City calls Desertbreh as their expert witness to testify as to how a house with a baller garage makes any given property worth an additional $50K.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:12 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:41 pm

The big thing here, in my opinion, is that if it's not livable square footage then they have no basis to increase your assessment. unless they can prove similar properties with upgraded garages consistently sell for more. The simple fact of the matter is garage is not considered living space, and they have a pretty thin case if you challenge it unless it can be considered living space.
The City calls Desertbreh as their expert witness to testify as to how a house with a baller garage makes any given property worth an additional $50K.
:wrong:

or only :notwrong: for like the 0.5% of us car guys
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth

We got the decision from our appeal and they basically told us to fuck off.

Can appeal that decision to the state, and will.

BUUTTTTTTTTT Unfortunately I think I'm fighting a losing battle. The appraisal on our house for the refi came in above the .gov assessed value. So despite ALL my neighbor's houses being worth less than ours according to the .gov, we're still undervalued apparently.

I shouldn't be bitching, it means after dumping all that into the garage, we got all that back and then some in "equity". Not that any of that is real anymore...
ChrisoftheNorth

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:24 pm

I think it might add more value to non-car peaopl than you'd think.

We dug up a bunch of ground cover and the wife posted it for free on our neighborhood FB page to get rid of it instead of bagging it all. This lady came over and was in love with our garage. DGAF about the car aspect, but loved how the high walls provided space to store stuff. She saw the kayaks and bikes and ladders and etc mounted on the walls and said "that's such a smart use of space, why aren't all garages that tall?" Then she saw the "attic" storage space we keep seasonal shit and was completely over the moon.

She's honestly :notwrong: I underestimated how much I'd appreciate the utility of extra vertical space. Being able to turn the 2-car into a 4-car is just an added bonus at this point.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:29 pm

We dug up a bunch of ground cover and the wife posted it for free on our neighborhood FB page to get rid of it instead of bagging it all. This lady came over and was in love with our garage. DGAF about the car aspect, but loved how the high walls provided space to store stuff. She saw the kayaks and bikes and ladders and etc mounted on the walls and said "that's such a smart use of space, why aren't all garages that tall?" Then she saw the "attic" storage space we keep seasonal shit and was completely over the moon.

She's honestly :notwrong: I underestimated how much I'd appreciate the utility of extra vertical space. Being able to turn the 2-car into a 4-car is just an added bonus at this point.
So she'd build a 70K garage and then fill it with shit and park the cars outside? :triggered:
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Very few tread the path of the righteous man, Brad.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:33 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:29 pm

So she'd build a 70K garage and then fill it with shit and park the cars outside? :triggered:
No, she was blown away that you could fit so much on the walls and fit the cars inside.

This is MI, where cars go in garages. Not CA where garages are extra storage space :disgust:
ChrisoftheNorth

Big project today was planting 12 trees. We have a 12' space between our driveway and the neighbors. It was overgrown with weeds and ground cover and bullshit over years of neglect. We wanted a little more privacy, so we planted green giant arborvitaes. They should grow to be 20' tall (5' taller than the garage) and fill in to be a wall within a few years. $55 a piece from our new hookup and they're at least 7' tall right now. Really excited about this.

The next step is the rest of the yard...

Last edited by ChrisoftheNorth on Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
wap

:excited: to follow this.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

:neat:

Not sure about trees dropping pine needles and tree :jizz: around the cars but not all coniferous trees do that so the privacy will be worth the cost. Feels good to get things done around the house, 5/7 way to spend isolation days. I'm still baffled that you can land a fine for picking up supplies for your house/garden.
wap

Arborvitaes don't drop needles :doe:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:58 pm Arborvitaes don't drop needles :doe:
Sweet! Do they get groomed like cedar hedges? Maybe wouldn't hurt to put some in my back yard for some extra coverage.