House Plac: From Bag End to Balls Deep

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

HerrBerlin wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:55 pm I'm wondering how it compares to renting though - if you have to pay higher insurance rates and high city property taxes and high HOA fees on top of the mortgage, do you not end up paying a lot more than you would by renting (and investing that down payment money in trukcoin)?

Normally you buy so that you can control your own destiny, but that's not true in an apartment even if you "own" it.
In my scenario renting vs buying a condo in Seattle would pretty much always come out as the cheaper thing to do. Decent one bedroom condos in neighborhoods I would want to live in start at around ~$450k. With 20% down, your have a mortgage of what, ~$1900? Before taxes, insurance, and HOA fees. I currently rent a small one bedroom condo (worth about that $450k figure) in my ideal Seattle neighborhood and pay $1750 a month all in.

The thing we're not factoring in is appreciation though. These condos have basically doubled in value over the past 4 - 5 years. If the market in Seattle continues to climb like it has been doing (who knows if it will), buying is without a doubt the better thing to do.
Yeah I don't know what to do about the appreciation aspect. If you don't already own a home in one of those markets, then you're basically fucked for life if the appreciation continues... which leads me to hope that it will NOT continue... which leads me to believe that it WILL continue... which makes me sad. :eeyore:
HerrBerlin
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: occasionally

troyguitar wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:50 am
HerrBerlin wrote:
In my scenario renting vs buying a condo in Seattle would pretty much always come out as the cheaper thing to do. Decent one bedroom condos in neighborhoods I would want to live in start at around ~$450k. With 20% down, your have a mortgage of what, ~$1900? Before taxes, insurance, and HOA fees. I currently rent a small one bedroom condo (worth about that $450k figure) in my ideal Seattle neighborhood and pay $1750 a month all in.

The thing we're not factoring in is appreciation though. These condos have basically doubled in value over the past 4 - 5 years. If the market in Seattle continues to climb like it has been doing (who knows if it will), buying is without a doubt the better thing to do.
Yeah I don't know what to do about the appreciation aspect. If you don't already own a home in one of those markets, then you're basically fucked for life if the appreciation continues... which leads me to hope that it will NOT continue... which leads me to believe that it WILL continue... which makes me sad. :eeyore:
You and me both. :eeyore:

The market here has actually been slowing down slightly over the past several months so I'm hoping we're at least reaching a plateau for housing prices.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

He looked at a lot of apartments/condos in downtown Detroit. Most that are worth living in sell for around $400k these days, and require some insane $500+/mo HOA fees. And you only get one parking spot, share walls with who knows who, and have to deal with the density of urban life.

Our HOUSE on over a quarter acre 10 minutes from downtown costs significantly less than a condo/apt would downtown. It makes zero sense.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:49 am He looked at a lot of apartments/condos in downtown Detroit. Most that are worth living in sell for around $400k these days, and require some insane $500+/mo HOA fees. And you only get one parking spot, share walls with who knows who, and have to deal with the density of urban life.

Our HOUSE on over a quarter acre 10 minutes from downtown costs significantly less than a condo/apt would downtown. It makes zero sense.
...in your market.

in some markets it makes tons of sense. Like on the commuter-coasts
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:57 am
Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:49 am He looked at a lot of apartments/condos in downtown Detroit. Most that are worth living in sell for around $400k these days, and require some insane $500+/mo HOA fees. And you only get one parking spot, share walls with who knows who, and have to deal with the density of urban life.

...in your market.

Then why are condos/apartments in my market so expensive?
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

...in your market.

goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:08 am

...in your market.

:iono:

shit costs real money to build and maintain would be my guess.
brain go brrrrrr
HerrBerlin
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

...in your market.

It's interesting to hear how they're more expensive there. That's not the case at all here. Median home price in Seattle is something like $820k while median condo price is around $520k.

At this point in my life I prefer the urban life though so I don't mind sharing walls or a parking garage. A condo would make sense for me.
ChrisoftheNorth

HerrBerlin wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:01 am
It's interesting to hear how they're more expensive there. That's not the case at all here. Median home price in Seattle is something like $820k while median condo price is around $520k.

At this point in my life I prefer the urban life though so I don't mind sharing walls or a parking garage. A condo would make sense for me.
This makes perfect sense, IMO.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

troyguitar wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:10 pm
HerrBerlin wrote:I see stuff like this for sale in Chicago and sometimes wonder why I bother trying to live in Seattle. I want to buy but it's all so expensive here.
How does it work to "own" an apartment? Does someone else not actually own the building and land? Who is responsible for maintenance and repairs?
:nice:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Urban condo lyfe can really simply things....your just :pinshit: your interior and donezo. Keep a modern car in underground parking, and walk away from jacking with so much. No leaf raking, snow blowing, major repairs, painting, river rock spreading, mowing, pruning, blah blah blah.

On the other hand, you are limited in certain aspects of Americana, such as your inalienable right to buy a $2000 Kamodo grill and smoke meat, park old cars you claim you will eventually restore, and the like.

One thing you really need to be careful about is an epic HOA fee. When you pay your house off, that is a huge step toward retirement....at least one place you only have to pay the taxes and maintenance on. If you still have a $500-$800 HOA fee, that never goes away. On the other hand, you will never have to huge renovation costs like a new roof or other major structural.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

HerrBerlin wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:10 am
troyguitar wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:55 pm I'm wondering how it compares to renting though - if you have to pay higher insurance rates and high city property taxes and high HOA fees on top of the mortgage, do you not end up paying a lot more than you would by renting (and investing that down payment money in trukcoin)?

Normally you buy so that you can control your own destiny, but that's not true in an apartment even if you "own" it.

Welcome back, btw. Why are you not renting or owning a place on the Kurfurstendamm?
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
HerrBerlin
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:46 am Urban condo lyfe can really simply things....your just :pinshit: your interior and donezo. Keep a modern car in underground parking, and walk away from jacking with so much. No leaf raking, snow blowing, major repairs, painting, river rock spreading, mowing, pruning, blah blah blah.

On the other hand, you are limited in certain aspects of Americana, such as your inalienable right to buy a $2000 Kamodo grill and smoke meat, park old cars you claim you will eventually restore, and the like.

One thing you really need to be careful about is an epic HOA fee. When you pay your house off, that is a huge step toward retirement....at least one place you only have to pay the taxes and maintenance on. If you still have a $500-$800 HOA fee, that never goes away. On the other hand, you will never have to huge renovation costs like a new roof or other major structural.
:dat:

Current plan is to buy a condo within the next few years, live there for 5 - 10 years, and then buy an actual house.
HerrBerlin
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:51 am
HerrBerlin wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:10 am

Welcome back, btw. Why are you not renting or owning a place on the Kurfurstendamm?
Thanks! Couldn't find work so I did the easy thing and came back.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:46 am Urban condo lyfe can really simply things....your just :pinshit: your interior and donezo. Keep a modern car in underground parking, and walk away from jacking with so much. No leaf raking, snow blowing , major repairs, painting, :triggered: rock spreading , mowing, pruning, blah blah blah.

On the other hand, you are limited in certain aspects of Americana, such as your inalienable right to buy a $2000 Kamodo grill and smoke meat, park old cars you claim you will eventually restore ( :dubshow: ), and the like.

One thing you really need to be careful about is an epic HOA fee. When you pay your house off, that is a huge step toward retirement....at least one place you only have to pay the taxes and maintenance on. If you still have a $500-$800 HOA fee, that never goes away. On the other hand, you will never (*) have to huge renovation costs like a new roof or other major structural.
(*) unless your HOA can do special assessments for this kind of shit. In that case....you should find a different condo complex.
brain go brrrrrr
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:11 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:46 am Urban condo lyfe can really simply things....your just :pinshit: your interior and donezo. Keep a modern car in underground parking, and walk away from jacking with so much. No leaf raking, snow blowing , major repairs, painting, :triggered: rock spreading , mowing, pruning, blah blah blah.

On the other hand, you are limited in certain aspects of Americana, such as your inalienable right to buy a $2000 Kamodo grill and smoke meat, park old cars you claim you will eventually restore ( :dubshow: ), and the like.

One thing you really need to be careful about is an epic HOA fee. When you pay your house off, that is a huge step toward retirement....at least one place you only have to pay the taxes and maintenance on. If you still have a $500-$800 HOA fee, that never goes away. On the other hand, you will never (*) have to huge renovation costs like a new roof or other major structural.
(*) unless your HOA can do special assessments for this kind of shit. In that case....you should find a different condo complex.
Well, you usually pay for it one way or the other. If your HOA fee is very low, stuff like roof replacement, boiler replacement, major exterior maintenance may not be built in to your monthly. What is to be avoided is epic monthly AND assessments. Either way, you are only paying for a small portion of major structural. A new roof on a haus of decent size can be $20K to $40K.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:26 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:11 pm

Well, you usually pay for it one way or the other. If your HOA fee is very low, stuff like roof replacement, boiler replacement, major exterior maintenance may not be built in to your monthly. What is to be avoided is epic monthly AND assessments. Either way, you are only paying for a small portion of major structural. A new roof on a haus of decent size can be $20K to $40K.
yes.
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth

Table was delivered yesterday. Looks 5/7, though still a bit small...

And then today, I got sick of no vent hood life. Kitchen remod now underway...

Apex
Drives: Abominable

DFD coming over for Thanksgiving.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Apex wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:20 pm DFD coming over for Thanksgiving.
:dat:

I'll be in MI for the weekend. Hobbit turkey for all.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Detroit wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:27 pm Table was delivered yesterday. Looks 5/7, though still a bit small...

Nice!

Is that a baby seal on the rug waiting to become dinner?
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Chris do you know any decent way to increase vent flow through a microwave vent thing? We have an externally venting duct but the fucking fan in the microwave has no ass and can't pull a draft at all, most of the smoke/etc ends up just going straight past it :rage:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Detroit wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:27 pm

:wtf:

dude. you have to repaint lots of ceiling now.

At least fix the stupid cabinets as part of your remodel.
brain go brrrrrr
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:27 pm Table was delivered yesterday. Looks 5/7, though still a bit small...

Love the round table. It think it is appropriately sized for crotchfruit free lyfe. Dat pot filler.....:jimp:
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:46 am

Nice!

Is that a baby seal on the rug waiting to become dinner?
:lolol:

It's actually a ghost dog toy. :doge: got it as a gift from friends on Friday and she's been carrying it around with her everywhere. I'm surprised she left it in the room there.