House Plac: From Bag End to Balls Deep

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:17 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:07 am Oh wow, been a while in here.

Just signed a contract with an architect to draw up garage plans.

:excited:
:ohslap: :fuckyeah: :waiting: :wasteful: :math:
Yea, it's super :wasteful: but whatever. I need a new garage bad...and I might as well make it something I want.

Went in the current "garage" this weekend and found the entire thing flooded so there's an easy 2" of solid ice across the entire floor. I think I lost a lot of stuff, :poorvette: is frozen in, really hope there's nothing wrong with it.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Detroit wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:18 am
Apex wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:13 am

Oh my. :popcorn:
It's not going to be the gargemahal that I hoped due to city restrictions. 750sqft max, 15' high max (as measured half way up rafters). Likely going to do a 2.5 car with the .5 for a small work area, and ceiling tall enough for possible stacker lifts in the future. Loft over work area for storage. Footprint large enough to fit :truk: in.
oooo details.

:flaccid: about the 750. BUT you can spend some of the money that you were going to use for larger structure on space saving features.

Like do a lift. Its less than 5 grand. its less than 10% of the TIC for this project. Just fucking do it.

Look at doing built in high storage, foldable benches for additional non -permanent work space, hoist for loft storage?

Have fun with the design, and do all the thinking. Also really consider leaving you ceilings high for work space not only for car storage but it just feels bigger and brighter to work in.
brain go brrrrrr
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Apex wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:13 am

Oh my. :popcorn:
It's not going to be the gargemahal that I hoped due to city restrictions. 750sqft max, 15' high max (as measured half way up rafters). Likely going to do a 2.5 car with the .5 for a small work area, and ceiling tall enough for possible stacker lifts in the future. Loft over work area for storage. Footprint large enough to fit :truk: in.
Still will be a :fuckyeah: garage when you're done with it! As :fax: man mentioned, get it designed and built for a lift and put one in from the beginning. Being able to store everything inside when you want to will be :amazing:
ChrisoftheNorth

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:29 am
oooo details.

:flaccid: about the 750. BUT you can spend some of the money that you were going to use for larger structure on space saving features.

Like do a lift. Its less than 5 grand. its less than 10% of the TIC for this project. Just fucking do it.

Look at doing built in high storage, foldable benches for additional non -permanent work space, hoist for loft storage?

Have fun with the design, and do all the thinking. Also really consider leaving you ceilings high for work space not only for car storage but it just feels bigger and brighter to work in.
You read my mind. I'm starting to think creatively about what to do.

The 15' height is really limiting me on how tall I can make the ceiling. I told the architect that I want max height ceiling, and he said it's going to be tough.

Right now, I'm debating WHAT lift to do. My dad has a 2-post, and while it's great, I'd use a lift more for storage than working on cars (since my dad has the 2-post, I can just go to his house if I want. A 2-post is a pain to park under regularly, and since we'll use the garage for daily parking, I think I want something more open.

Something like this would be :tits: and turn the 2-car into a 4 car...

This would be even better, but :waxer: at $16k. I don't think I'd need to be able to drop one car at a time, so the double above for less than half price is probably fine.

I know you've done a lot of research into maximizing space. I'm all ears dude, I'd love yours (or anyones) input on how to design this thing to maximize space.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Why not do a 3 car if you can do 750 square feet? A standard 3 car would be something like 20x30...600 square feet. Even 22'x32' would be 704 square feet.
Apex

Detroit wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:37 am

oooo details.

The 15' height is really limiting me on how tall I can make the ceiling. I told the architect that I want max height ceiling, and he said it's going to be tough.

Right now, I'm debating WHAT lift to do. My dad has a 2-post, and while it's great, I'd use a lift more for storage than working on cars (since my dad has the 2-post, I can just go to his house if I want. A 2-post is a pain to park under regularly, and since we'll use the garage for daily parking, I think I want something more open.

This would be even better, but :waxer: at $16k. I don't think I'd need to be able to drop one car at a time, so the double above for less than half price is probably fine.

I know you've done a lot of research into maximizing space. I'm all ears dude, I'd love yours (or anyones) input on how to design this thing to maximize space.
Can you still get the air jacks that go on individual 4post lifts to get the cars up to work on with that tandem lift?
I think a single 4 post would be fantastic to start with, unless you're looking to go to a 4 car stable?
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:36 am
Still will be a :fuckyeah: garage when you're done with it! As :fax: man mentioned, get it designed and built for a lift and put one in from the beginning. Being able to store everything inside when you want to will be :amazing:
Space utilization is key. 750sq ft isn't really that big for what I want, but there's nothing I can do about it. Putting a lot of thought into it up front will make a big difference. The architect we chose is the same dude who did my dad's garage, so he's pretty good with this stuff too. He said he already has some ideas with the goals I gave him.
Apex

Detroit wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:41 am
Apex wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:36 am

Space utilization is key. 750sq ft isn't really that big for what I want, but there's nothing I can do about it. Putting a lot of thought into it up front will make a big difference. The architect we chose is the same dude who did my dad's garage, so he's pretty good with this stuff too. He said he already has some ideas with the goals I gave him.
:nice:
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:40 am

Can you still get the air jacks that go on individual 4post lifts to get the cars up to work on with that tandem lift?
I think a single 4 post would be fantastic to start with, unless you're looking to go to a 4 car stable?
I guess two single 4-posts next to each other at some point would be fine. I am concerned about keeping the parking space as open as possible underneath as :tits: will sometimes just fly into the garage with minimal precision, but there might be ways to work on that.
ChrisoftheNorth

coogles wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:37 am Why not do a 3 car if you can do 750 square feet? A standard 3 car would be something like 20x30...600 square feet. Even 22'x32' would be 704 square feet.
Maybe? Guess I'll have to look at it.

I want to have enough space for car doors to open with storage on walls, work space, etc. I'd also like to have enough depth to fit a :truk: in if needed at some point...so something 20-24' in depth would be great. Seems like a more square than rectangle solution would be better? :iono:

I also realistically will never have more than 3 cars. 4 tops. So If I can pull off more space for activities and still have 3 places to park vehicles with a lift, that might work better?
Apex

Detroit wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:46 am
coogles wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:37 am Why not do a 3 car if you can do 750 square feet? A standard 3 car would be something like 20x30...600 square feet. Even 22'x32' would be 704 square feet.

I want to have enough space for car doors to open with storage on walls, work space, etc. I'd also like to have enough depth to fit a :truk: in if needed at some point...so something 20-24' in depth would be great. Seems like a more square than rectangle solution would be better? :iono:

I also realistically will never have more than 3 cars. 4 tops. So If I can pull off more space for activities and still have 3 places to park vehicles with a lift, that might work better?
IMO, putting a single 4 post in will give you a lot of open floor space in the rest of the garage. Having storage for 4 but only having 3 seems odd to me? Since you have always parked :truk: outside before.

Camdalf on the lift, Volt underneath, :truk: next to the lift. Seems to be a solution I would look into.

Also, good news that this is the same guy who did your dads garage! I'm sure this will turn out awesome.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Detroit wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:07 am Oh wow, been a while in here.

Just signed a contract with an architect to draw up garage plans.

:excited:
Nice nice!
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:46 am Maybe? Guess I'll have to look at it.

Looks like the longest configuration of a 2019 Silverado is right at 20 feet (holy shit), so if you go 23 feet deep that'd leave enough room in front of the truck to get by comfortably, assuming you put your storage elsewhere, either in front of the other two bays or on the side.
ChrisoftheNorth

Single post could be a great option too?
ChrisoftheNorth

coogles wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:53 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:46 am Maybe? Guess I'll have to look at it.

Looks like the longest configuration of a 2019 Silverado is right at 20 feet (holy shit), so if you go 23 feet deep that'd leave enough room in front of the truck to get by comfortably, assuming you put your storage elsewhere, either in front of the other two bays or on the side.
Yea, that's the thing. I don't think I'll ever have a full size truck again, but who knows. I'd like to design for it if possible.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:52 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:46 am

IMO, putting a single 4 post in will give you a lot of open floor space in the rest of the garage. Having storage for 4 but only having 3 seems odd to me? Since you have always parked :truk: outside before.

Camdalf on the lift, Volt underneath, :truk: next to the lift. Seems to be a solution I would look into.

Also, good news that this is the same guy who did your dads garage! I'm sure this will turn out awesome.
True, true.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Detroit wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:54 am Image

I'd love to see the foundation under that thing.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Apex

That is a sweet pair of cars in that pic.

:notbad: storage option. I would want the ability to take the wheels off to do brake/suspension work if needed doe. :notsure: if you can do that with single posts?
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

You willing to disclose costs? I haven't reached out to any contractors or builders yet, but the wife and I are starting to talk about doing ours too. The slab in our 90 year old...shed...is starting to crumble in rapid fashion. I really don't want to put any more money into the thing, so we're talking about just rebuilding the whole thing and doing a real 3 car.
ChrisoftheNorth

Melon wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:56 am

Right? That's why I want to plan for this now so the foundation can be planned to accommodate.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

oooo details.

well, start here for ideas.

http://www.12-gaugegarage.com/

big thing for your benches: make sure you do them at 1. a comfortable standing height for you and 2. all the same height. That way when cutting long things you can span multiple benchtops.

Another thing: lots of power points. Add 220 for your electric car charger and / or a welder.
Lights, lots, and if you ever plan to paint and maybe if you dont lights on walls. Lights under any cabinets you put in

Build in some speakers. This is ALWAYS and afterthought, but make sure you budget in a little money for 4 speakers in the ceiling or in the walls. If you want TV out there make sure you termate to a place with hdmi or something so you can run the tv through these speakers.

something like this is moveable
https://www.bestbuyautoequipment.com/ca ... uOEALw_wcB

wider for easier parking under
https://www.bestbuyautoequipment.com/ch ... cl4p9w.htm
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth

coogles wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:57 am You willing to disclose costs? I haven't reached out to any contractors or builders yet, but the wife and I are starting to talk about doing ours too. The slab in our 90 year old...shed...is starting to crumble in rapid fashion. I really don't want to put any more money into the thing, so we're talking about just rebuilding the whole thing and doing a real 3 car.
I've budgeted $50-$60k to just get the garage up. Foundation, walls, roof, doors. No insulation, drywall, and minimal electrical to pass code...but will likely ask for a 60amp sub panel (house has 200 amp service, thankfully). I plan on finishing it myself or pay someone down the road to keep initial costs in check.

Architect thinks it's realistic. My dad's garage that's significantly bigger than this was $70k all-in.

FWIW, I was in your position at our last house. Garage was fine, but the foundation was crumbling fast. I had some quotes from people to fix it (jack up structure, tear out old foundation, re pour, etc), and they were in the $20-$30k range. Better to just tear it down and start over IF your local municipality will allow. At our old house, rebuilding the garage meant moving the entire thing over 5 feet, which would have put the garage in the middle of the back yard taking up the entire thing. That's why we never did anything with it and just moved instead. Our new yard is huge, and the city is less stringent on property line offsets, so it won't be an issue.
ChrisoftheNorth

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:04 am

well, start here for ideas.

http://www.12-gaugegarage.com/

big thing for your benches: make sure you do them at 1. a comfortable standing height for you and 2. all the same height. That way when cutting long things you can span multiple benchtops.

Another thing: lots of power points. Add 220 for your electric car charger and / or a welder.
Lights, lots, and if you ever plan to paint and maybe if you dont lights on walls. Lights under any cabinets you put in

Build in some speakers. This is ALWAYS and afterthought, but make sure you budget in a little money for 4 speakers in the ceiling or in the walls. If you want TV out there make sure you termate to a place with hdmi or something so you can run the tv through these speakers.

something like this is moveable
https://www.bestbuyautoequipment.com/ca ... uOEALw_wcB

wider for easier parking under
https://www.bestbuyautoequipment.com/ch ... cl4p9w.htm
12 gauge garage is my hero. I've been drooling over that for years.

Good call on the rest. I didn't really consider speakers.

That's part of my thinking of not finishing the inside at first. I want to use it and understand what I want and where, then I can run the wires and finish it exactly how I want. Same for power.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Detroit wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:58 am
Melon wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:56 am

Right? That's why I want to plan for this now so the foundation can be planned to accommodate.
if thats something you want you defintly need to plan from start

RE; space, 750 is not a three car, and will be odd and have no room for anthing but cars if thats the route you go.

750 with a 2 car/ lift is a proper shop to work on things....even when the other car is parked in there. Mine is 650 and is a little tight but i still work on the cars in the garage itself alot.
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:08 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:58 am
if thats something you want you defintly need to plan from start

RE; space, 750 is not a three car, and will be odd and have no room for anthing but cars if thats the route you go.

750 with a 2 car/ lift is a proper shop to work on things....even when the other car is parked in there. Mine is 650 and is a little tight but i still work on the cars in the garage itself alot.
Exactly my thinking.