House Plac: From Bag End to Balls Deep

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

[user not found] wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:14 pm
Detroit wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:16 am BTW, wife thinks I've lost it. I was explaining to her the difference in the wood and what our house has and she's

:neat: :whocares:
I dare you to say the same about her :pinshit:

:howdareu: :nuke:
:dat:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Detroit wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:06 pm
[user not found] wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:14 pm

I dare you to say the same about her :pinshit:

:howdareu: :nuke:
:triggered: :triggered: :triggered: :triggered: :triggered:
:triggered: :howdareu: :howdareu: :howdareu: :triggered:
:triggered: :howdareu: :pinshit: :howdareu: :triggered:
:triggered: :howdareu: :howdareu: :howdareu: :triggered:
:triggered: :triggered: :triggered: :triggered: :triggered:
:notbad:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

Detroit wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:15 am Soooo been looking closer at the wood in the house. Actually not much quarter sawn, but appears to be a lot of rift sawn and live sawn. According to the Google, rift sawn is the hardest to mill? It's all over the house, and when combined with the live sawn results in some pretty epic wood grain patterns.
I'm not a miller but there are tons of youtube vids of people with mobile Mills doing work. It's the same process as quarter sawn but the boards comee from a different section of the log/tree.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

There are a couple a cool saw Mills over there according to Google. You should go a few board feet and make a picture frame or bird house for the new place.

Put a pic of you and the old lady in front of the new house in the frame ...pinshit heaven
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

KYGTIGuy wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:57 pm There are a couple a cool saw Mills over there according to Google. You should go a few board feet and make a picture frame or bird house for the new place.

Put a pic of you and the old lady in front of the new house in the frame ...pinshit heaven
Very interesting thought.

The PO left a TON of wood in the basement. I haven't gone through it yet, but I suspect there's some gems in there. Need to see what I can make from it all.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

An update on the state of the :haus:

I suck at photos, I know. I'll take some tonight (though I'll probably :drunk: and forget, lessbereal).

Rooms finally getting setup the way we like and unpacking is just about done. Dining room is 16' square, we have a 6' round table coming on Friday. Our 4'x8' dining table looked dinky in the room, hopefully this will fill it up a bit.

Balancing the heating system is underway, progress documented in the heating thread.

The kitchen is going to need to be addressed sooner rather than later. The lack of real vent hood is REALLY annoying for how much we cook, so I'm probably going to be cutting into the ceiling to add ducting soon. The dishwasher has been nothing but problems since we moved in. It's one of those dual drawer Fisher and Paykel things. First the upper drawer died. I replaced the computer to bring that back. Then the main board in the bottom failed, replaced that. Now the bottom drawer won't drain at all and it smells of burnt electronics. Pump or something died. 3 strikes, you're out. I'm not dumping more money into the thing since it's 17 years old.

New dishwasher will be ordered shortly. :tits: loved the GE one we had at Bag End, so we'll likely get another though in black slate this time. The rage is the same age as the dishwasher and being super weird too (igniters won't turn off, oven takes forever to heat, etc) so we may just replace the range while we're at it with the same GE one we had. May also reconfigure a bit of the kitchen while we're at it. Yay kitchen remods.

:popcorn:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:18 am An update on the state of the :haus:

I suck at photos, I know. I'll take some tonight (though I'll probably :drunk: and forget, lessbereal).

Rooms finally getting setup the way we like and unpacking is just about done. Dining room is 16' square, we have a 6' round table coming on Friday. Our 4'x8' dining table looked dinky in the room, hopefully this will fill it up a bit.

Balancing the heating system is underway, progress documented in the heating thread.

The kitchen is going to need to be addressed sooner rather than later. The lack of real vent hood is REALLY annoying for how much we cook, so I'm probably going to be cutting into the ceiling to add ducting soon. The dishwasher has been nothing but problems since we moved in. It's one of those dual drawer Fisher and Paykel things. First the upper drawer died. I replaced the computer to bring that back. Then the main board in the bottom failed, replaced that. Now the bottom drawer won't drain at all and it smells of burnt electronics. Pump or something died. 3 strikes, you're out. I'm not dumping more money into the thing since it's 17 years old.

New dishwasher will be ordered shortly. :tits: loved the GE one we had at Bag End, so we'll likely get another though in black slate this time. The rage is the same age as the dishwasher and being super weird too (igniters won't turn off, oven takes forever to heat, etc) so we may just replace the range while we're at it with the same GE one we had. May also reconfigure a bit of the kitchen while we're at it. Yay kitchen remods.

:rolleyes:

2 kitchen remodels inside a year.

hows the garage coming?
brain go brrrrrr
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

:member: when he said that the garage was happening before the kitchen? :lolgasm:
ChrisoftheNorth

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:24 am

hows the garage coming?
Yea, I'm not happy about the kitchen, but I knew it was going to be a thing so whatever.

Garage is coming along. Had to have the lot surveyed, that was just completed and I got the survey drawings yesterday. Sent them to the builder to start figuring out what we can put and where. Might not happen until the spring, we'll see.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

New table has less surface area than the old one :notsure: .... Full looking room not found.
ChrisoftheNorth

SAWCE wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:44 am

New table has less surface area than the old one :notsure: .... Full looking room not found.
The 4 foot width looked ridiculous in a 16' wide room. Because the room is perfectly square, it really needs a square/round table to look more full, IMO.
SAWCE

Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:46 am
SAWCE wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:44 am

The 4 foot width looked ridiculous in a 16' wide room. Because the room is perfectly square, it really needs a square/round table to look more full, IMO.
Ha just giving you shit. The round table will surely look bigger than the skinny 4'er even with the surface area being a few feet less.
ChrisoftheNorth

Dishwasher ordered.

Heads up, Home Depot is offering free installation ($99 credit for $99 installation charge) through the end of the month. I installed my last dishwasher at the last house, it's a mega pain in the ass.

$800 all-in delivered, installed, taking away the old one, taxes, etc.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-Adora-To ... WD37513466
ChrisoftheNorth

SAWCE wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:48 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:46 am
Ha just giving you shit. The round table will surely look bigger than the skinny 4'er even with the surface area being a few feet less.
Yea, we think so.

Pics when the table is delivered.
SAWCE

Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:21 pm Dishwasher ordered.

Heads up, Home Depot is offering free installation ($99 credit for $99 installation charge) through the end of the month. I installed my last dishwasher at the last house, it's a mega pain in the ass.

Man that black slate looks nice. Gonna do the matching range as well?
ChrisoftheNorth

SAWCE wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:24 pm

Man that black slate looks nice. Gonna do the matching range as well?
Yea...probably. Trying to put that off for as long as I can. That one is quite a bit pricier. $2,700 delivered and installed from Costco.

https://www.costco.com/GE-Profile-6.7Cu ... 81373.html

We did the slate appliances at our last house and really liked the look. Never showed fingerprints and really easy to clean. The black slate wasn't out when we got our appliances last time, so this will be a nice change.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

I payed $100 less for mine and had to haul it home myself and install it. 5/7 would pay the extra.
ChrisoftheNorth

Tarspin wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:46 pm

I payed $100 less for mine and had to haul it home myself and install it. 5/7 would pay the extra.
I can't even find this thing for cheaper anywhere else. The black slate color costs a premium. :|

Free installation and delivery is pretty epic. I HATE installing dishwashers.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:30 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:24 am

hows the garage coming?
Yea, I'm not happy about the kitchen, but I knew it was going to be a thing so whatever.

Garage is coming along. Had to have the lot surveyed, that was just completed and I got the survey drawings yesterday. Sent them to the builder to start figuring out what we can put and where. Might not happen until the spring, we'll see.
I worked as a surveyors helper during the summers in highschool. That's a fun job too. We did more land surveying in the woods doe.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

:amaze: complexity. Seems like the first thing I do when I move into a new house is drop about $700 on a new kickass dishwasher. Ain't got no time for messing around with ones that don't work.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:08 pm

:amaze: complexity. Seems like the first thing I do when I move into a new house is drop about $700 on a new kickass dishwasher. Ain't got no time for messing around with ones that don't work.
It's German, I should have expected the complexity. It's been nothing but trouble since we moved in. I vowed after I replaced the main board (the second repair) that the next failure would be :gtfo:

I blew $200 in parts on the fucker, gotta stop the bleeding somewhere. I'll harvest them and hopefully sell them on eBay to some other sucker.

$700 is worth it at this point. And we know we like the dishwasher since it's the same one we had at the last house.
ChrisoftheNorth

KYGTIGuy wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:03 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:30 am

I worked as a surveyors helper during the summers in highschool. That's a fun job too. We did more land surveying in the woods doe.
I bet that would be a fun job!

What's crazy to me is how surveying is done on OLD properties like mine. House was built in 1910. How the hell were property lines established back then, and how are they still adhered to?

We got really lucky and the survey turned out that we have a wider lot than we thought. The garage should be able to move a few feet further out, which will be 5/7.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:14 pm
KYGTIGuy wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:03 pm

What's crazy to me is how surveying is done on OLD properties like mine. House was built in 1910. How the hell were property lines established back then, and how are they still adhered to?

We got really lucky and the survey turned out that we have a wider lot than we thought. The garage should be able to move a few feet further out, which will be 5/7.
A lot of it was based on landmarks. The guy I'd help would start on a known concrete marker or rebar pin out on the side walk in cities or towns.

Real old plots(1800) it would be normal to look for old trees. They might be described like "18 inch oak with fork and three blaze marks" or something. Blaze mark(iirc) are just 3 horizontal slashes made with a machete or axe way back when. It wasn't an exact science for neglected plots.

If you look you can find markers in plain sight. It's interesting to look at old docs on that stuff.

Thomas Jefferson was a surveyor too. They used small lenghts of chain. Which had to be a major PITA
ChrisoftheNorth

KYGTIGuy wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:20 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:14 pm

A lot of it was based on landmarks. The guy I'd help would start on a known concrete marker or rebar pin out on the side walk in cities or towns.

Real old plots(1800) it would be normal to look for old trees. They might be described like "18 inch oak with fork and three blaze marks" or something. Blaze mark(iirc) are just 3 horizontal slashes made with a machete or axe way back when. It wasn't an exact science for neglected plots.

If you look you can find markers in plain sight. It's interesting to look at old docs on that stuff.

Thomas Jefferson was a surveyor too. They used small lenghts of chain. Which had to be a major PITA
Wow, incredible. I'll have to see if I can find a marker or something.

Seems like using trees or whatever would be super tough. A tree 108 years after it was last recorded will likely look drastically different (or not be there at all).
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:27 pm
KYGTIGuy wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:20 pm

Wow, incredible. I'll have to see if I can find a marker or something.

Seems like using trees or whatever would be super tough. A tree 108 years after it was last recorded will likely look drastically different (or not be there at all).
Trees grow out and not up so a slash at 5 feet will still be at 5 feet even if the tree has grown 100 foot vertically
but yes, you are correct. Blaze marks get harder to ID with age.

Starting points are most important thing in surveying. The description of the plot from that point can still be used to set boundaries even if it's super old as long as the starting point was a good one. River fork, large rocks, whatever