House Plac: From Bag End to Balls Deep

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Detroit wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:54 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:48 pm

I deal with imgur, dropbox used to work until a couple years ago they removed the linking to images. All I know is the new "add image to post" link on the forum sucks donkey dick. small thumbnail that opens in another window at a small size that you have to download the original to get a good view? Might as well still be on a C-SLIP internet connection via Windows 3.1 and Trumpet WinSOCK using uudecode to put the images back together like we did in 1992. :gay:
That's the thing...every time I figure out a solution, it gets killed. So I stopped trying.

I wish google would work for direct linking. All my photos are there...and that's what I used until people started telling me that maybe half of my images are actually appearing. That's when I gave up.
Same here with Google. Just sucks.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:03 pm
Detroit wrote: That's the thing...every time I figure out a solution, it gets killed. So I stopped trying.

I wish google would work for direct linking. All my photos are there...and that's what I used until people started telling me that maybe half of my images are actually appearing. That's when I gave up.
Tapatalk still works.

Yeah, but pretty sure once you upload it to Tapa you can't get it back or take it down if needed. Okay for most stuff, but not everything.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

troyguitar wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:03 pm
Detroit wrote: That's the thing...every time I figure out a solution, it gets killed. So I stopped trying.

Tapatalk still works.

Yea...but they're already starting to make it more difficult and pushing to a paid plan. Only a matter of time before they go full photobucket.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

OK...so garage talk.

I've decided that I'm going to finish my workshop area this weekend. Insulation is a given (I'll be heating it eventually)...but what do I do on the walls? I'm about 95% set on 7/16" OSB...but I prefer the cleaner look of drywall. OSB is far more durable and functional...also easier to install and remove if need be. Anyone have experience with different wall types?
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Detroit wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:16 pm OK...so garage talk.

I've decided that I'm going to finish my workshop area this weekend. Insulation is a given (I'll be heating it eventually)...but what do I do on the walls? I'm about 95% set on 7/16" OSB...but I prefer the cleaner look of drywall. OSB is far more durable and functional...also easier to install and remove if need be. Anyone have experience with different wall types?
osb will get destroyed by moisture over time. if your garage is not tyveked and stuff that could be a bad time.

if it is dried in, I say go for it just gap it off the floor like drywall
brain go brrrrrr
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

You could always OSB it then drywall over it later. That's what the wall between my garage and house is setup as and it makes it nice when you want to hang stuff that doesn't need the weight support of a stud, but wouldn't work with just drywall anchors.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

[user not found] wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:05 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:49 am
Still can't figure out an efficient way to post photos. I feel like such an old.
:okboomer:
yassssss
brain go brrrrrr
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:07 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:48 pm

I deal with imgur, dropbox used to work until a couple years ago they removed the linking to images. All I know is the new "add image to post" link on the forum sucks donkey dick. small thumbnail that opens in another window at a small size that you have to download the original to get a good view? Might as well still be on a C-SLIP internet connection via Windows 3.1 and Trumpet WinSOCK using uudecode to put the images back together like we did in 1992. :gay:
Sorry, no brogramming phenom here, I simply gave the best solution I could without overloading the forum server.
I do not accept your answer. This is equivalent to a substandard XL that doesn't include a pivot table or a graph. Zero credits.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

[user not found] wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:05 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:49 am
Still can't figure out an efficient way to post photos. I feel like such an old.
:okboomer:
:bravo:
ChrisoftheNorth

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:11 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:16 pm OK...so garage talk.

osb will get destroyed by moisture over time. if your garage is not tyveked and stuff that could be a bad time.

Well, the outside walls are OSB...they're wrapped in some sort of wrap (I believe tyvek) with stucco on top. I imagine the inside walls would be ok...but this is why I want to think about it before I do anything.

Fortunately, the bottom 18" of the walls are block on footings...so moisture along the bottom isn't an issue as long as I gap it like you said.
ChrisoftheNorth

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:15 pm You could always OSB it then drywall over it later. That's what the wall between my garage and house is setup as and it makes it nice when you want to hang stuff that doesn't need the weight support of a stud, but wouldn't work with just drywall anchors.
I thought about this too. OSB is very appealing for the ease of hanging things. I suppose I could get it up and do drywall on top if I don't like the raw OSB.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Detroit wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:37 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:11 pm

Well, the outside walls are OSB...they're wrapped in some sort of wrap (I believe tyvek) with stucco on top. I imagine the inside walls would be ok...but this is why I want to think about it before I do anything.

Fortunately, the bottom 18" of the walls are block on footings...so moisture along the bottom isn't an issue as long as I gap it like you said.
that sounds like a moisture barrier to me, you should be good to go.
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

have you considered mdf? might be cheap er, smooth like drywall, stronger than drywall but not as much as mdf
brain go brrrrrr
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:41 am have you considered mdf? might be cheap er, smooth like drywall, stronger than drywall but not as much as mdf
I love MDF, but dat shit is heavy AF. I'd drywall - pleasing to the eye - can still hang fairly heavy things with toggle bolts, and for heavier things find the studs
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

4zilch wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:14 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:41 am have you considered mdf? might be cheap er, smooth like drywall, stronger than drywall but not as much as mdf
I love MDF, but dat shit is heavy AF. I'd drywall - pleasing to the eye - can still hang fairly heavy things with toggle bolts, and for heavier things find the studs
oh yea. mdf is fucking heavy. I'd probably drywall too. it's also easy to fix, especially in a shop where it doesn't need to be perfect
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:18 am
4zilch wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:14 am

oh yea. mdf is fucking heavy. I'd probably drywall too. it's also easy to fix, especially in a shop where it doesn't need to be perfect
MDF is heavy, but I considered it briefly. Same for plywood, which is pricey.

Drywall is most pleasing to the eye...but I find the idea of just driving screws wherever I want in OSB really appealing. True, I could use toggle bolts in drywall :doe:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

I always kind of wished I could wash my cars in a garage, would consider a wash station on one side or something if my garage was big enough. Straight up tiles or plastic panels on two walls... just another :wrong: idea
ChrisoftheNorth

Tarspin wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:04 am I always kind of wished I could wash my cars in a garage, would consider a wash station on one side or something if my garage was big enough. Straight up tiles or plastic panels on two walls... just another :wrong: idea
Oh, I love the idea...I just won't run water to the garage because that's a PITA to maintain.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Tarspin wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:04 am I always kind of wished I could wash my cars in a garage, would consider a wash station on one side or something if my garage was big enough. Straight up tiles or plastic panels on two walls... just another :wrong: idea
Yeah, I've wanted that too, but also want a drain system for all the water. Talking to an engineer here about 15 years ago it was cost prohibitive due to needing a reclamation tank and needing to have it emptied and disposed of as HAZMAT.

Not sure how's thats different that washing the car in the driveway, I only assume they think I'll be dumping gallons and gallons of oil and gas down the drain if it is in the garage? :iono:

Thanks you bastards at the E.P.A.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

:notbad: idea but you might have to plumb in a drain line in the garage floor.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:18 pm
If I ever get a chance to build a garagemahal - I'm putting a floor drain and a wash bay inside.
Most municipalities won't allow it...or force it to go into a storage tank that you dispose of as hazmat like waxer said. Floor drains are explicitly outlawed in my city.
Apex

Detroit wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:24 pm
[user not found] wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:18 pm

If I ever get a chance to build a garagemahal - I'm putting a floor drain and a wash bay inside.
Most municipalities won't allow it...or force it to go into a storage tank that you dispose of as hazmat like waxer said. Floor drains are explicitly outlawed in my city.
The floor drain in my dads garage is awesome. You can’t even tell it’s there under the race deck. :megusta:
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

I feel like I'd rather just live somewhere without winter so there's no need to wash cars indoors. A sandblasting cabinet, parts-washer, and paint booth could all be useful :doe: along with the welding gear, machining tools, surface plate, and scales. :fullretard:
Apex

troyguitar wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:33 pm I feel like I'd rather just live somewhere without winter so there's no need to wash cars indoors. A sandblasting cabinet, parts-washer, and paint booth could all be useful :doe: along with the welding gear, machining tools, surface plate, and scales. :fullretard:
Where are you going to wash your car when there’s a drought and you are banned from washing them? :notsure:
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:33 pm I feel like I'd rather just live somewhere without winter so there's no need to wash cars indoors. A sandblasting cabinet, parts-washer, and paint booth could all be useful :doe: along with the welding gear, machining tools, surface plate, and scales. :fullretard:
My dad has a sandblast cabinet and parts washer. 5/7 for sure.

If I knew how to weld, I could see the usefulness in welding stuff.