Furnish the Haus of Sawce

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Gonna post up ideas here and see what input you fine folks have.

Living room will be pretty simple. Single sofa/couch/loveseat , coffee table that I'll be bringing with me, and then some sort of entertainment console.

I'm not sure what I want to do for a couch yet.. I like the look of leather, but..
1) Ava's nails scratching it up. If I find something cheapish, I won't care much about this since it'll just add character.
2) No AC, and it'll be balls hot in the summer.. this is also negated partially by laying a light-weight decorative blanket where I'll sit/lay.
So both of those are possible non-issues and I'm open to leather.

For entertainment console... Most of what it will be responsible for is my record collection, and housing my turntable and reciever. TV will be mounted on the wall above it. In the past, I've just gone cheap with this: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/prod ... #/20275885 Lay it on it's side, fill the cubbies with records and candles and shit since my collection doesn't completely fill it up. I got rid of mine when moving in with Michelle, so I'll either grab a new one, or I'll go with an actual piece designed for records/turntables. I like this, https://www.wickerwoodworks.com/listing ... nd-protect . The medium or large size would fit my turn table on top, and my reciever and preamp and stuff on the shelf below. My fullsize LPs would probably all go on that bottom shelf, and 10" and 7" records in the top portion. Question is, is it worth $425-475 for whichever size I'd actually need, when I know I can do the tried-and-true Kallax Ikea unit for $70 after tax...

I don't think anyone here is a vinyl collector, but if you are, and you have an attractive storage solution that you like, post it up!
SAWCE

https://www.westelm.com/products/rustic ... e=[1255293]

Coffee table I'll be bringing with me. I think it's the Cafe color, but in person it looks to be in between the two shades that are showing on my screen. Definitely more of a dark/rich hue than the lighter Mango color.
SAWCE

Or if anyone here does wood working and wants to build me their version of that record console, I'd buy that..
SAWCE

I'll post pics of the unit when I get in next week. There is a cut out right behind where the front door swings open where whatever entertainment console I buy will likely go. I think that makes the most sense for the layout.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

SAWCE wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 2:47 pm Gonna post up ideas here and see what input you fine folks have.

Living room will be pretty simple. Single sofa/couch/loveseat , coffee table that I'll be bringing with me, and then some sort of entertainment console.

I'm not sure what I want to do for a couch yet.. I like the look of leather, but..
1) Ava's nails scratching it up. If I find something cheapish, I won't care much about this since it'll just add character.
2) No AC, and it'll be balls hot in the summer.. this is also negated partially by laying a light-weight decorative blanket where I'll sit/lay.

For entertainment console... Most of what it will be responsible for is my record collection, and housing my turntable and reciever. TV will be mounted on the wall above it. In the past, I've just gone cheap with this: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/prod ... #/20275885 Lay it on it's side, fill the cubbies with records and candles and shit since my collection doesn't completely fill it up. I got rid of mine when moving in with Michelle, so I'll either grab a new one, or I'll go with an actual piece designed for records/turntables. I like this, https://www.wickerwoodworks.com/listing ... nd-protect . The medium or large size would fit my turn table on top, and my reciever and preamp and stuff on the shelf below. My fullsize LPs would probably all go on that bottom shelf, and 10" and 7" records in the top portion. Question is, is it worth $425-475 for whichever size I'd actually need, when I know I can do the tried-and-true Kallax Ikea unit for $70 after tax...

I don't think anyone here is a vinyl collector, but if you are, and you have an attractive storage solution that you like, post it up!
Bought this from Ikea to store vinyl. 5/7 IMO.

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Get cheap IKEA stuff. They have a excellent one that's also a bed
brain go brrrrrr
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Detroit wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 2:47 pm
SAWCE wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 2:47 pm Gonna post up ideas here and see what input you fine folks have.

:wtf: is that stone :dedong: ??
Looks like onyx or marble.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
SAWCE

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 4:09 pm Get cheap IKEA stuff. They have a excellent one that's also a bed
I have an IKEA bed already.

Not sure what kind of price range I want to look at for couches. I want something nice and that’ll last, but don’t want to spend $1,000+
SAWCE

Not bad. I like that better than the Kallax unit.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 4:51 pm

:wtf: is that stone :dedong: ??
Looks like onyx or marble.
:lolol:

So yea... :tits: goes on vacation last week with her sister and mother to Mexico. Her only souvenir? That stone :dong:

:wtf:

Now it's a game. We move it around the house to random areas and troll guests with it. We had a party last night and it was on the dining room table among other decorations. Everyone was looking at it but wouldn't say anything until one of our gay friends went completely :gaydance: over it and then it became the topic of conversation for a good 45 minutes.

:rolleyes: :trollface: :lolol:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

SAWCE wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 7:09 pm

I just looked it up, it's a Hemnes console table.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00251809/

Funny because it fits LPs PERFECT but isn't designed for that. Ours was a limited release red/orange color. I loved the color so much I had to have it. It turned out perfect for what we wanted. The Hemnes line is more expensive, but it uses real solid wood and very study construction. The quality stacks up against any other piece of furniture we have.
SAWCE

Detroit wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 7:48 am
SAWCE wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 7:09 pm

I just looked it up, it's a Hemnes console table.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00251809/

Funny because it fits LPs PERFECT but isn't designed for that. Ours was a limited release red/orange color. I loved the color so much I had to have it. It turned out perfect for what we wanted. The Hemnes line is more expensive, but it uses real solid wood and very study construction. The quality stacks up against any other piece of furniture we have.
Nice. Thanks man. I really like the color of yours as well. The grey on their site isn’t too bad though.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

If shopping at West Elm, just be cautious. A lot of their stuff is particle board with veneer. Which might be ok for something like an end table or record holder. From what I've found people generally like their couches despite being particle board construction underneath it all.

I bought a rather expensive-ish couch a few years ago with a full hardwood frame and it was a good call for me. 5 years later it isn't sagging at all. We got a gray one to hopefully hide pet hair, and it works all right I guess but getting Josie's hair out of it is a pain in the ass. Would probably do leather and NFG about the scratches on it. You could train Ava to only lay on her blanket on the couch, which is what we do with Josie and it works 85% of the time, lol.

All that said, I'd probably shop West Elm before Ikea. I like their designs more and the items seem more durable in general. Ikea items are great when you first assemble them, and gradually fall apart if you move with them. I'd pass on the Ikea kallax.

I like this style
https://thehuntvintage.com/products/mid ... credenza-3
I'd go check those guys out. They have a lot of neat stuff on their site.
Johnny_P

What furniture style do you like? I tend to go for mid century simplicity and warm wood colors.
SAWCE

Johnny_P wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 9:09 am What furniture style do you like? I tend to go for mid century simplicity and warm wood colors.
That’s the direction I want to go with this. I need to get into the apt to see what color it got painted. They just had primer on the walls when I went in last week.
SAWCE

Johnny_P wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 9:06 am If shopping at West Elm, just be cautious. A lot of their stuff is particle board with veneer. Which might be ok for something like an end table or record holder. From what I've found people generally like their couches despite being particle board construction underneath it all.

I bought a rather expensive-ish couch a few years ago with a full hardwood frame and it was a good call for me. 5 years later it isn't sagging at all. We got a gray one to hopefully hide pet hair, and it works all right I guess but getting Josie's hair out of it is a pain in the ass. Would probably do leather and NFG about the scratches on it. You could train Ava to only lay on her blanket on the couch, which is what we do with Josie and it works 85% of the time, lol.

All that said, I'd probably shop West Elm before Ikea. I like their designs more and the items seem more durable in general. Ikea items are great when you first assemble them, and gradually fall apart if you move with them. I'd pass on the Ikea kallax.

I like this style
Their stuff looks cool. I think at that price point I like the wicker wood works item I posted a little better though.
Johnny_P

SAWCE wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 10:49 am
Johnny_P wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 9:06 am If shopping at West Elm, just be cautious. A lot of their stuff is particle board with veneer. Which might be ok for something like an end table or record holder. From what I've found people generally like their couches despite being particle board construction underneath it all.

I like this style
Their stuff looks cool. I think at that price point I like the wicker wood works item I posted a little better though.
:like:
SAWCE

Johnny_P wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 10:54 am
SAWCE wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 10:49 am

:like:
Doesn’t really fit the mid century modern design though..
Apex
Drives: Abominable

I’m rocking a Gladiator workbench as my entertainment center.
300lb weight rating. :notbad:
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Apex wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 2:06 pm I’m rocking a Gladiator workbench as my entertainment center.
26" TV.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

fledonfoot wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 3:54 pm
Apex wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 2:06 pm I’m rocking a Gladiator workbench as my entertainment center.
26" TV.
:dat:
SAWCE

https://www.article.com/product/3242/sv ... ay-72-sofa

Thoughts? They have a few options in this price range. Solid wood construction.
Last edited by SAWCE on Tue May 22, 2018 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SAWCE

SAWCE wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 1:36 pm https://www.article.com/product/3242/sv ... ay-72-sofa

Depending on the size of the living room when I get in to measure, I'd actually probably spend the extra $100 and get the full size 88" version so I can full lay down on it...
SAWCE

Hmmm.. just found a $3k Crate and Barrel leather couch on CL for $800.. night jump on that. Full aniline leather with kiln-dried hardwood. Already worn in a bit so I wouldn’t mind Ava adding more character to it right off the bat...
Johnny_P

SAWCE wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 1:36 pm https://www.article.com/product/3242/sv ... ay-72-sofa

I've been trolling this company for a bit, but don't have any reference points as to durability or longevity of their stuff. :iono: It sounds good from the description. Reviews on durability of pieces from this company sound mixed.

I'd take the C&B over it.