My house and my projects

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!
Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Built 4Runner & Pontiac Vibe

One major thing I forgot to list, the day we moved in I replaced all 3 toilets with comfort height super flushing uncloggable dealies. I can live in a house with old toilets, it grosses me out.
www.aguyagirlandatrail.com
instagram.com/aguyagirlandatrail
Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

[user not found] wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:09 am
Dbest wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:34 pm The single track is fun but it is small. There’s only like 4 miles of trails but it’s setup nicely. There is the east side and the west side. The west side has a handful of trails that run long way from north to south that loop around and insect each other so you do have a nice variety of routes you can take that keep it fun. The east side has 4 trails, the red line, green line, blue line, and black line. The redlin is your uphill to ride to the top then green blue black are downhill that get progressively harder. Green is easy, wide switchbacks lots of trail that’s side to side to keep speeds low, small banked corners, some rollers, stuff like that. Blue is a fast flowy high G force roller coaster of a route down. Black is basically the jump line. There fire road that connects the 2 sides. It’s certainly isn’t a destination compared to typical Colorado riding but you can’t ask for more when you can see it from your house.
I'd be doing a weeknight short track night with frenz, right out of my garage.

:stig: :boxodicks:
We can see the Boulder Valley Velodrome from the backyard, it’s only like a mile away, so that’s always an option too.
Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

So I’ve been on quite the roller coaster the past few days.

Christmas Eve, 11pm, getting ready for bed and the master bathroom toliet won’t flush. No solids so that’s weird. I try a plunger, nothing happens. I start looking around and checking stuff out, I go into the basement and there waste water on the floor coming out of the floor drain. I turned the water on in the basement sink and it drains right up through the floor. Fuck!

I managed to get ahold of the local town hero and handyman, he specializes in HVAC but gets involved in just about nothing, he said leave it alone don’t use any water and the water should subside on its own as it seeps through the blockage. Christmas morning this guy shows up at 9 am and starter rooting out the mainline. It takes 4 fucking hours to get it flowing! Once water was moving he scopes the pipe and we find down a line a ways where the therenis an elbow to grade the flow down the one pipe was pushed up into the elbow partially blocking the flow. Typically the mainline comes out, the drops down right and onto the cities sewer line. He’s like that connection is fucked. I’ll talk to the city to see if the connection to their sewer pipe is their responsibility or if it’s just the sewer pipe itself. He’s like being under street your probably looking at a repair of at least $15,000. He said worst case scenario if it’s a deep pipe, in water table, stripes on the road, traffic control, curb work, and city requirements (like requiring a curb to curb patch not spot repairs) up to $35,000 for a repair.

Fuck!

He talked to the city, the connection is not their problem. I talked to home owners insurance, the mainline is considered maintenance, he called the claims people and tried to blame it on a ground shift... no luck.

So today we started getting quotes. The first comes out pulls the main hole cover and says “that’s not good”. Since our location is slightly up a hill a bit, our city sewer tie in is 18 feet deep! He’s like honestly I’m willing to do the job because this is the slow season for the excavation business but I really don’t want to do it, he said the risks involved in putting a guy in a hole 20’ below the street borderlines on not being worth the reward. He’s like but I can gaurantee I’ll come in with lowest price and if I don’t I will beat your best written offer by 10%. He said $12,000 baseline but it will go up based on city regulations and to expect a final cost around $15,000.

So the second guy comes in to give a quote. He says I know you have a picture of the connection that’s a problem but I’d like to do my own sewer scope with a locator to verify the problem and the location. I tell him by all means, have at it. So he does and he’s like well I have some good news. He’s like typically this downward angled connectionnis right at the sewer pipe, he said since your sewer is so deep your downward angle starts much much earlier. So he runs the locator, the problem is literally dead center in the middle of the grass in the front yard 8’ deep. No city street to tear up, no curbs, no sidewalks, just dirt... and we may (most likely will) lose the small the small tree in the front yard. He said he’ll come back with his excavation guy Tuesday to put together a final in writing quote but to expect it to be under the $5,000 mark!

Holy shit that’s a weight off my shoulders. After the cost of the home remodel that we finished weeks ago a completely unexpected $15,000 repair is a really really tough pill to swallow. A sub $5,000 repair out of nowhere still sucks, but it is manageable. I don’t think I’ve ever been so excited to spend $5,000 that I didn’t want to spend lol.
Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Their thinking is that it had to be installed correctly to pass inspection when it was new but sine the dirt is very clay like and clumps together while they were burying it there was probably a large clump that fell down and hit the joint pushing the pipe in to were it sits now.

Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Speaking of the basement luckily its unfinished. The amount of stuff that backed up wasn't real significant. there was probably a 5 foot by 6 foot section in the corner that got wet. Nothing was there except some cardboard boxes and some storage totes that are waterproof plastic.

This is the opposite side of the basement.
Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

So 4 of the estimates came in between $3,000 - $3,300, 1 company came in at almost twice that, and 1 company didn’t quote it, they just said they will beat our best written offer by 10%.

So 2 weeks from today when I get back home they are going to come. They are getting the permit, removing the small front yard tree, digging up the problem, repairing the problem, installing dual sweep clean outs, having the city inspector come out to sign off on the work before filling in the hole, rescoping the mainline beginning to end to verify everything looks good.

It’ll be nice piece of mind once it’s all fixed.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Dbest wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:44 pm So 4 of the estimates came in between $3,000 - $3,300, 1 company came in at almost twice that, and 1 company didn’t quote it, they just said they will beat our best written offer by 10%.

So 2 weeks from today when I get back home they are going to come. They are getting the permit, removing the small front yard tree, digging up the problem, repairing the problem, installing dual sweep clean outs, having the city inspector come out to sign off on the work before filling in the hole, rescoping the mainline beginning to end to verify everything looks good.

So which company did you go with? The $3k one, the $3.3k, the twice as much one, or the guaranteed 10% off one?
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

wap wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:53 pm
Dbest wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:44 pm So 4 of the estimates came in between $3,000 - $3,300, 1 company came in at almost twice that, and 1 company didn’t quote it, they just said they will beat our best written offer by 10%.

So which company did you go with? The $3k one, the $3.3k, the twice as much one, or the guaranteed 10% off one?
Middle of the pack, $3100. Cost aside they were the company I liked the most, they seemed the most detail oriented. It came down to 2 companies that I liked and represented themselves well. One said we needed a permit, a city inspector, and the dual sweep clean outs to meet the current code, the other said you don’t need the permit since it’s in my own yard and they can install the a second clean out outside if I want it. I called the city myself to find out who was write and I went with that company.

I found them off of home advisor. The had like 50 verified reviews with a 4.8 star rating. To be on there they have to be licensed, bonded, insured, pass background checks etc.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Dbest wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:57 pm So I’ve been on quite the roller coaster the past few days.

Christmas Eve, 11pm, getting ready for bed and the master bathroom toliet won’t flush. No solids so that’s weird. I try a plunger, nothing happens. I start looking around and checking stuff out, I go into the basement and there waste water on the floor coming out of the floor drain. I turned the water on in the basement sink and it drains right up through the floor. Fuck!

I managed to get ahold of the local town hero and handyman, he specializes in HVAC but gets involved in just about nothing, he said leave it alone don’t use any water and the water should subside on its own as it seeps through the blockage. Christmas morning this guy shows up at 9 am and starter rooting out the mainline. It takes 4 fucking hours to get it flowing! Once water was moving he scopes the pipe and we find down a line a ways where the therenis an elbow to grade the flow down the one pipe was pushed up into the elbow partially blocking the flow. Typically the mainline comes out, the drops down right and onto the cities sewer line. He’s like that connection is fucked. I’ll talk to the city to see if the connection to their sewer pipe is their responsibility or if it’s just the sewer pipe itself. He’s like being under street your probably looking at a repair of at least $15,000. He said worst case scenario if it’s a deep pipe, in water table, stripes on the road, traffic control, curb work, and city requirements (like requiring a curb to curb patch not spot repairs) up to $35,000 for a repair.

Fuck!

He talked to the city, the connection is not their problem. I talked to home owners insurance, the mainline is considered maintenance, he called the claims people and tried to blame it on a ground shift... no luck.

So today we started getting quotes. The first comes out pulls the main hole cover and says “that’s not good”. Since our location is slightly up a hill a bit, our city sewer tie in is 18 feet deep! He’s like honestly I’m willing to do the job because this is the slow season for the excavation business but I really don’t want to do it, he said the risks involved in putting a guy in a hole 20’ below the street borderlines on not being worth the reward. He’s like but I can gaurantee I’ll come in with lowest price and if I don’t I will beat your best written offer by 10%. He said $12,000 baseline but it will go up based on city regulations and to expect a final cost around $15,000.

So the second guy comes in to give a quote. He says I know you have a picture of the connection that’s a problem but I’d like to do my own sewer scope with a locator to verify the problem and the location. I tell him by all means, have at it. So he does and he’s like well I have some good news. He’s like typically this downward angled connectionnis right at the sewer pipe, he said since your sewer is so deep your downward angle starts much much earlier. So he runs the locator, the problem is literally dead center in the middle of the grass in the front yard 8’ deep. No city street to tear up, no curbs, no sidewalks, just dirt... and we may (most likely will) lose the small the small tree in the front yard. He said he’ll come back with his excavation guy Tuesday to put together a final in writing quote but to expect it to be under the $5,000 mark!

Holy shit that’s a weight off my shoulders. After the cost of the home remodel that we finished weeks ago a completely unexpected $15,000 repair is a really really tough pill to swallow. A sub $5,000 repair out of nowhere still sucks, but it is manageable. I don’t think I’ve ever been so excited to spend $5,000 that I didn’t want to spend lol.
Yeah wow, holy fuck that sucks balls.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Dbest wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:28 am One major thing I forgot to list, the day we moved in I replaced all 3 toilets with comfort height super flushing uncloggable dealies. I can live in a house with old toilets, it grosses me out.
I do this as well. Also, dishwasher? :gtfo: I've but stainless Bosch into rentals. Clean dishes or kill yourself.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:32 pm
Dbest wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:28 am One major thing I forgot to list, the day we moved in I replaced all 3 toilets with comfort height super flushing uncloggable dealies. I can live in a house with old toilets, it grosses me out.
I do this as well. Also, dishwasher? :gtfo: I've put stainless Bosch into rentals. Clean dishes or kill yourself.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Dbest wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:53 pm Their thinking is that it had to be installed correctly to pass inspection when it was new but sine the dirt is very clay like and clumps together while they were burying it there was probably a large clump that fell down and hit the joint pushing the pipe in to were it sits now.

What is actually wrong with the pipe?
brain go brrrrrr
Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:31 am
Dbest wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:53 pm Their thinking is that it had to be installed correctly to pass inspection when it was new but sine the dirt is very clay like and clumps together while they were burying it there was probably a large clump that fell down and hit the joint pushing the pipe in to were it sits now.

That picture is exactly how it lays in the ground. Coming up from the bottom that pipe is pushed up through the elbow. That edge of pipe you see in the picture should not be there, from the inside you should only see a smooth flat transition. The pipe sticking up blocks the bottom inch or so where most of the water and waste flows. Eventually that lip caught waste and it slowly built up and built up and built up. Eventually it get completely blocked up solid and it took like 4 hours with a rooter to clear the line. It takes time but it WILL happen again if not fixed or routinely cleared, scoped, and monitored.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Dbest wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:43 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:31 am

That picture is exactly how it lays in the ground. Coming up from the bottom that pipe is pushed up through the elbow. That edge of pipe you see in the picture should not be there, from the inside you should only see a smooth flat transition. The pipe sticking up blocks the bottom inch or so where most of the water and waste flows. Eventually that lip caught waste and it slowly built up and built up and built up. Eventually it get completely blocked up solid and it took like 4 hours with a rooter to clear the line. It takes time but it WILL happen again if not fixed or routinely cleared, scoped, and monitored.
ahhhh now i see it. yea, that sucks.

So...uh.....if you know where it is why not rent a digger and DIY? 3k is...alot. Pay the nice man for scpoing it for you for karhma. But that is like a totes 'easy' fix.
brain go brrrrrr
Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Because I’m not going to pay the first scope, get licensed with the city to pull a permit, rent an excavator, pull out a tree, dig a 8 foot deep 10 foot long 3 foot wide trench in the middle of my yard and try cut out and properly redo the junction of 2 fixed pipes, and arrange a city inspector to come out, then pay for a second scope.
wap

Dbest wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:00 pm
wap wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:53 pm

Middle of the pack, $3100. Cost aside they were the company I liked the most, they seemed the most detail oriented. It came down to 2 companies that I liked and represented themselves well. One said we needed a permit, a city inspector, and the dual sweep clean outs to meet the current code, the other said you don’t need the permit since it’s in my own yard and they can install the a second clean out outside if I want it. I called the city myself to find out who was write and I went with that company.

I found them off of home advisor. The had like 50 verified reviews with a 4.8 star rating. To be on there they have to be licensed, bonded, insured, pass background checks etc.
:notbad:
Good luck with the repairs.
wap

Dbest wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:25 pm Because I’m not going to pay the first scope, get licensed with the city to pull a permit, rent an excavator, pull out a tree, dig a 8 foot deep 10 foot long 3 foot wide trench in the middle of my yard and try cut out and properly redo the junction of 2 fixed pipes, and arrange a city inspector to come out, then pay for a second scope.
Yea DIY would be :fullretard: for this.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Dbest wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:25 pm Because I’m not going to pay the first scope, get licensed with the city to pull a permit, rent an excavator, pull out a tree, dig a 8 foot deep 10 foot long 3 foot wide trench in the middle of my yard and try cut out and properly redo the junction of 2 fixed pipes, and arrange a city inspector to come out, then pay for a second scope.
How hard can it be?

Jaxper
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: MK7 GTI

Nicey done on the upgrades! I don't expect to have any big projects like this when we first move in, so it won't be thread worthy. Though, I do think there will be a couple projects within the next few years.
The panda hath arrived.
Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

It’s not that it’s excessively difficult, it’s that because it ties directly into city utilities the city REQUIRES a valid business license and insurance in order to get a permit approved to do the work.
Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Jaxper wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:07 pm Nicey done on the upgrades! I don't expect to have any big projects like this when we first move in, so it won't be thread worthy. Though, I do think there will be a couple projects within the next few years.
Thanks.

There’s always projects, you’ll find some pretty quick.
Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Jaxper wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:07 pm Nicey done on the upgrades! I don't expect to have any big projects like this when we first move in, so it won't be thread worthy. Though, I do think there will be a couple projects within the next few years.
Thanks.

wap

Dbest wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:02 pm
Thanks.

Ain't that the truth! :lol:
Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Last weekend I got the pipe fixed and we added external dual sweep clean outs.

My little dude LOVED watching this thing fuck up the yard. He even had to eat his lunch sitting there so he wouldn't miss anything

That's a bunch of dirt (clay).

The dug over as far as they could trying to save the tree but we ended up ripping it out. With the clay ground the tree roots really spread outwards between the clay and the grass, instead of down and really anchoring itself.

still have to deal with this though.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Dbest wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:13 pm Last weekend I got the pipe fixed and we added external dual sweep clean outs.

My little dude LOVED watching this thing fuck up the yard. He even had to eat his lunch sitting there so he wouldn't miss anything

That's a bunch of dirt (clay).

The dug over as far as they could trying to save the tree but we ended up ripping it out. With the clay ground the tree roots really spread outwards between the clay and the grass, instead of down and really anchoring itself.

still have to deal with this though.
I like how they put you in come convenient cleanouts!
brain go brrrrrr