My house and my projects

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!
Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Built 4Runner & Pontiac Vibe

Most municipalities require dual sweep clean outs to but in out side of the dwelling for it to be up to current code. It makes sense, If there's ever a clog or something they can work it from out side of the house and not have a mess of shit water getting splashed around the basement. If the situation was different I wouldn't mind having them in the rocks where they'd be a little bit more out of sight rather then middle of the yard but whatever, its done. The sprinkler cover housings at look a little better than just caps sticking up. It's a lot easier to get these things recessed a bit as well.
www.aguyagirlandatrail.com
instagram.com/aguyagirlandatrail
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

I like the house brah, thanks for sharing pics of it!

Jelly of the MTB trails. Mad jelly. I had that when I lived at my last apartment and it was glorious.
Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

So this was the next small protect, quick and easy but expensive.

Smoke detectors were original to the home, so they were past the 10 year life span. Since I over analyze everything I start researching replacements. Reviews online, stopped by local fire department to chat with them, spoke to a few friends that work for fire departments or in home construction.

I ended up going with wired gen 2 Nest Protect detectors. Each one is a dual sensing smoke alarm (looks for fast burning and slow smoldering), carbon monoxide detector, and humidity sensor so steam doesn’t set it off. They are interconnected so if there’s a fire they all go off not just one. They are hardwired with a lithium battery backup that lasts for years. They self test and self monitor 400 times a day, they talk and tell if there's a problem as well as alerting you through the app, and lighting up. They have motion sensors and lights in them with 2 different brightness settings. If there’s motion at night it’ll shine a dim light to illuminate the ground - it works awesome after you turn all the lights off ad your making your way to bed, or getting up in the night and walking down the hallway to check on little man.

I decided to just go ahead a do a Gen 3 Nest thermostat while I was it. Its awesome and when in the same home as the Nest Protect detectors if there is smoke in the house it will turn off all HVAC function to avoid feeding air to a fire and distributing smoke throughout the house. We have forced air, central A/C, heat pump, and a gas furnace for auxiliary heat. Nest learns the systems and it while balance heat pump vs gas furnace usage, where as before you needed to manual swap back and forth to whichever you wanted. You can set it up so every hour on the hour it will recirculate air throughout the house for better temperature balance. Lots of cool features.

Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

So that big f’n root ball jam packed with clay... I hired a company that come out to quote hauling it away, the day they were supposed to show they called and said they would have to postpone until the following day. The following day around lunchtime they texted me saying they weren’t going to do the job. So I hired a second company, they never showed up. I contacted a third, they wouldn’t call me back.

I finally said fuck this, and my wife and I busted it up, loaded it all up on the trailer for the RZR, and hauled all the debris to the dump. It’s nice to finally have that done.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

I have one of those hard wired smoke/CO detectors. Seeing all of those hurt me in the wallet zone.
5/& for Nest, I love mine, I've thought about getting the detectors like you have, but my house is so small, I couldn't justify the added cost. Also, I've rebuilt it once, if it wants to catch fire. :aintcare: Fuck it.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Dbest wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:32 pm

:bruh: get the paint back out and ditch the trim pannel
brain go brrrrrr
Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:57 am
Dbest wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:32 pm

That’s the plan, I need to have the drywall guy who's a fuckin wizard and matching and blending the textured finishes come back and do that area so I don’t need the cover.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Dbest wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:56 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:57 am

That’s the plan, I need to have the drywall guy who's a fuckin wizard and matching and blending the textured finishes come back and do that area so I don’t need the cover.
Eh fuck it it looks fine to me. Besides, don't take any shit off a guy who can't lay off of junker Miatas with 3 different colors of fender paint.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:05 pm
Dbest wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:56 pm

Eh fuck it it looks fine to me. Besides, don't take any shit off a guy who can't lay off of junker Miatas with 3 different colors of fender paint.
hey, i've moved on to junker formula vees. Don't Forget potfillergate either
brain go brrrrrr
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

Love everything you've done. Very nice work on those floors. Only criticism I can even try to come up with is the front door color.

As for Home Advisor, do you recommend?
Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

KYGTIGuy wrote:Love everything you've done. Very nice work on those floors. Only criticism I can even try to come up with is the front door color.

As for Home Advisor, do you recommend?
Home Advisor is a nice starting point. I always check home adviser and look for local first hand recommendations and then do my own my home work on the company’s I liked after discussing the project.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

So the next project has started... my buddy’s daughter lost my sons ball under the deck so we had to work on retrieving it.

Little man was helping me.

We got the railing out.

We were getting there.

Got it stripped down.

Finally we spotted the ball, well I did, little man was taking his after lunch nap.

We could almost reach it...

Finally! The ball would be ours once again.

Mission accomplished.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

Dbest wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 12:13 am So the next project has started... my buddy’s daughter lost my sons ball under the deck so we had to work on retrieving it.

We got the railing out.

We were getting there.

Got it stripped down.

Finally we spotted the ball, well I did, little man was taking his after lunch nap.

We could almost reach it...

Finally! The ball would be ours once again.

Mission accomplished.
At first I thought you were crazy then I saw that it was the Jumbo skyball and it all made sense.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

KYGTIGuy wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 8:52 am
Dbest wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 12:13 am So the next project has started... my buddy’s daughter lost my sons ball under the deck so we had to work on retrieving it.

Mission accomplished.
At first I thought you were crazy then I saw that it was the Jumbo skyball and it all made sense.
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolgasm:
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

I suspect a :trollface: for a larger deck going up.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Detroit wrote:I suspect a :trollface: for a larger deck going up.

Not a deck, we’re doing a 530ish sq/ft stamped and stained concrete patio, removing the grass and some dirt, doing some slight grading, squaring off the yard, relocating the sprinklers for the new lawn size and resoodding the back.

This is the basic layout for the patio.

We’re still deciding on color and texture but I’m really leaning towards this look
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Dbest wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 11:45 am
We’re still deciding on color and texture but I’m really leaning towards this look
:megusta: that looks killer.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

:notbad:
Nice look but with the ease of concrete, and the stone walls and seating areas with a fire pit looks 5/7.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

wap wrote::notbad:
Nice look but with the ease of concrete, and the stone walls and seating areas with a fire pit looks 5/7.
We’re not doing the stone walls and seating, just the concrete, the second picture is the same concrete as the first just showing a wider view of it.

We considered piping in a gas line and doing a fire pit but it’s *technically* not allowed on the properties that back to open space preserved lands because it’s to easy to accidentally catch half the county on fire. So we’re going to do a wood burning or propane powered non permanent fire pit.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Dbest wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 12:39 pm
wap wrote::notbad:
We’re not doing the stone walls and seating, just the concrete, the second picture is the same concrete as the first just showing a wider view of it.

We considered piping in a gas line and doing a fire pit but it’s *technically* not allowed on the properties that back to open space preserved lands because it’s to easy to accidentally catch half the county on fire. So we’re going to do a wood burning or propane powered non permanent fire pit.
Ah. Makes sense.

In4pics of the completed project.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

I’ve got it narrowed down to 2 companies that I really liked. I’m hoping have a contract signed Monday.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

I don't understand why someone would go through the trouble for that tiny ass deck? Snow and water issues? Rather :wtf: I think.

Larger patio should be a nice upgrade. Keep us posted on the progress!
Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Johnny_P wrote:I don't understand why someone would go through the trouble for that tiny ass deck? Snow and water issues? Rather :wtf: I think.

Larger patio should be a nice upgrade. Keep us posted on the progress!

I agree, what’s the point of building one that little? It worked for having a small table and chairs with a grill but that’s about it.

We had a few complaints about it. The deck was made out of the first generation Trex which was awful. It weighs a fuck ton so to reduce weight each board has like 6 hollow shafts long way from end to end. The wasps love to get in those and nest. The surface of the gen 1 stuff did not age well. You need to constantly power wash it or you will track dusty grainy all over when you walked on it, the surface would break down and turn to powder. They kinda half asses the build a bit. The outer railing supports weren’t attached but to a board held on with just nails, it wasn’t dangerous but it definitely had a little bit of wobble to it. Enough that if you had a drink on the railing and someone leaned against it you would spill your drink. And finally with it being open underneath the rabbits love to get under there, not to mention the wasps love to nest between the supports under the deck.

To go along with the size the height was an issue. Being a couple feet up at interior floor height you were on display for all the neighbors. Standing on the deck I could see right over the fence onto the ground of the decks for the next 3 properties. The railing sucked too. We have this awesome view but standard height patio furniture meant the railing blocked it. We had to get bar height stuff to have the unobstructed panoramic mountain views

On the bright side all of the trex and wood pieces of at least 4’ I was able to pull the nails and screws out of and donate to a place in Boulder. I get a tax write off instead of paying to dump in a landfill.

Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Oh and no snow or water issues. It’s very dry here especially in the back yard where it bakes in the sun all day. In fact we considered a high quality turf instead of grass because of how much water it requires for that much direct sunlight but we were talked out of it. They were saying with it facing west and not having any shade except in the morning to expect the surface temp to easily be 120 degrees in the afternoon during summer. Having a 2 year old that wants to be outside was the motivation behind starting this project so that kinda ruled that out.
Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Today it’s removing the header and filling the large holes in the side of the house.

I got some 1/2” dowel rod, cut it into sections, and coated it in a polyurethane sealer. Then I drilled out the the holes slightly to 1/2” put some construction adhesive in the hole and on the outside of the dowel and hammered them in flush.

After I do all of the holes I’m going to put a thin layer of caulk on the ends and I have Tyvex tape to cover it all before installing a new piece of concrete siding.