Jefé's rental bachelor pad

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '04 R32, '90 Miata, '17 CB300F

The dirty deets: 1100 sq ft 3 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, the "back house" with an insulated 2 car garage. No roommate, no pets, cool landlord, seemingly chill tenants in the "main house", minimal bullshit. Bedrooms are small-ish (two are 11'x14', one 11'x10') and there is no traditional living/family room but :aintcare:. The space is sized and priced right and it is 2 miles from work with an easy bike commute. Did not get much moving done over the weekend, but that will accelerate when key things, read: access to the internetz, is up and running on Wednesday. Gigabit from Grande :fuckyeah:.

I'm not apologizing for meh iPhone photos, it is also not an easy space to photograph.

Driveway & garage view. Hondas, trailer, and car shit will live in the garage. Volkswagen relegated to driveway life when it's here. Sorry, Veronica.

The front door is on the side of the house (left side relative to the previous photo). View from the front door. This is where I will grill the meats.

"Side" yard (back of the house). Thinking this might be a decent garden area, but might not get enough sun.

When you go in the front door you are immediately met with three choices: bedroom on the left, stairs dead ahead, garage on the right. THe bedroom (below) is one of the 11'x14' ones, "meh" closet under the stairs, full bathroom w/tub. Closet door is in the photo, bathroom is to the right. This will likely be set up as screen-free workout/yoga/chill space.
Harry Potter closet:

Come up the stairs and this is what you see. The second 11'x14' bedroom is behind me in this photo, kitchen and eating/living/whatever area in front. Open doorway leads to smallest bedroom, nicest bathroom, and largest closet both of which are detached from the bedroom leaving the "which is the master" dilemma, but I think I'll deal with sleeping in the smallest room.

View from the open doorway looking back at the kitchen.

Bedroom #2 (this is the one behind me in the first kitchen pano). Full bathroom again, closet is less "meh" but small. This was a covered patio that was enclosed when some laws changed. Current thought is that this will be the entertainment space with a couch, TV, etc. This also has pot lights whereas other two bedrooms just have fan lights (and wired switches for lamps or whatevs).

Bathroom. The downstairs one (not pictured) is a carbon copy.

Third and smallest bedroom is 11'x10'. Didn't get a useful photo. Thinking this will be sleeping space for starters. Will fit a king bed and is closest to best bathroom and closet. Living alone so :aintcare: about bathroom and closest being outside the bedroom. Here's the bathroom:

And closet:

So, living space is small, but plenty. Garage is legit and 50% the reason I rented this place. Psyched. Floors everwhere are real wood, house is ~2 years old. I have a list of nitpicky things (door handle installed wrong way in a bathroom) that I'll take care of. Not interested in spending landlord karma on things I can fix in 10 mins. Hoping to get moved in to the point I can live there by this weekend. Storage/garage shit will come ASAP after. Location is also legit:

Blue dot is work, house is in the upper right near the Webberville Rd and Oak Springs intersection. Bike to bars, foods, and things. Can still get to downtown easily. Also discovered that I can easily get north to Mueller area as well for bomb ass food, entertainment things, and farmer's market.

In general, I'm 5/7 :fuckyeah: about all this.
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Oh yeah, garage floor is epoxy coated and in decent shape. Smallest bedroom is over the garage, but for winter that'll be okay. Can always change it up later. Purchase priorities are mattress/bed, couch? and I want a fucking grill again ASAP. Only existing furniture of mine that will be moving in a large Ikea bookcase. Not interested in breaking the bank on filling the place up. I might do moveable breakfast bar type thing in the kitchen that can be extra counter space slash eating space. If I can't find what I want, I might try building it. I built an 8' bar in my AZ house and have the itch to get cranking on something again. Will likely do a workbench in the garage after I get shelves moved and setup from the storage space as the first project.

Should be a fun fall/winter of projects.
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

Nice! Good decision too. A ton of stuff around there is in walking distance anyways. Hell, my friend moved to 51st street and he sold his car (kept the wife's vehicle tho) because he could take the bus downtown and it was fast and easily accessible. Your location in Austin really depends on what you like doing, and most of what I did when I went to Austin to visit my friend was located downtown with the occasional out of area thing.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Looks good man. Pretty big for a single person bachelor pad, but having the dedicated rooms for stuff will be nice. Jelly of that garage. That's the one thing that I miss. Won't move into another place without one.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Room for all the activities!
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

5/7 post.
stripethree wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:34 pm

When you go in the front door you are immediately met with three choices: bedroom on the left, stairs dead ahead, garage on the right. THe bedroom (below) is one of the 11'x14' ones, "meh" closet under the stairs, full bathroom w/tub. Closet door is in the photo, bathroom is to the right. This will likely be used for car parts.
FIFY
stripethree wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:34 pm
Come up the stairs and this is what you see. The second 11'x14' bedroom is behind me in this photo, kitchen and eating/living/whatever area in front. Open doorway leads to smallest bedroom, nicest bathroom, and largest closet both of which are detached from the bedroom leaving the "which is the master" dilemma, but I think I'll deal with sleeping in the smallest room.

View from the open doorway looking back at the kitchen.

Bedroom #2 (this is the one behind me in the first kitchen pano). Full bathroom again, closet is less "meh" but small. This was a covered patio that was enclosed when some laws changed. Current thought is that this will be the entertainment space with a couch, TV, etc. This also has pot lights whereas other two bedrooms just have fan lights (and wired switches for lamps or whatevs).

Bathroom. The downstairs one (not pictured) is a carbon copy.

Third and smallest bedroom is 11'x10'. Didn't get a useful photo. Thinking this will be sleeping space for starters. Will fit a king bed and is closest to best bathroom and closet. Living alone so :aintcare: about bathroom and closest being outside the bedroom. Here's the bathroom:

And closet:

So, living space is small, but plenty. Garage is legit and 50% the reason I rented this place. Psyched. Floors everwhere are real wood, house is ~2 years old. I have a list of nitpicky things (door handle installed wrong way in a bathroom) that I'll take care of. Not interested in spending landlord karma on things I can fix in 10 mins. Hoping to get moved in to the point I can live there by this weekend. Storage/garage shit will come ASAP after. Location is also legit:

Blue dot is work, house is in the upper right near the Webberville Rd and Oak Springs intersection. Bike to bars, foods, and things. Can still get to downtown easily. Also discovered that I can easily get north to Mueller area as well for bomb ass food, entertainment things, and farmer's market.

In general, I'm 5/7 :fuckyeah: about all this.
Agree using smallest room as master. Just dont crap it up with anything other than a bed and two nightstands and it will be great.

Since you are bacheloring it up, consider a mixed use living / eating in the space near the kitchen. If its big enough.... looks like its a tough space to use no matter what. That's where everyone will want to be when not doing car shit doe. Besides you will then have more room for car parts in upstairs bedroom.
budget for a mini fridge for drinks downstairs in you garage.
:drunk:
brain go brrrrrr
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Nice place!

:jelly: of that garage too.
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:58 pm FIFY
Subtle FIFY is subtle, and effective.
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:58 pm Agree using smallest room as master. Just dont crap it up with anything other than a bed and two nightstands and it will be great.

Since you are bacheloring it up, consider a mixed use living / eating in the space near the kitchen. If its big enough.... looks like its a tough space to use no matter what. That's where everyone will want to be when not doing car shit doe. Besides you will then have more room for car parts in upstairs bedroom.
Going to try to keep car shit to the garage, there will be plenty of room. Also, want to keep dem wood floors looking fresh.
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:58 pm budget for a mini fridge for drinks downstairs in you garage. :drunk:
:dat: is a damn good idea
Sno
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Fiiiiiiiiiiiiat

5/7 bub. Glad to see quick progress. Great place, we’ll bring you a plant in a few weeks.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:58 pm At the risk of being sucked into your wedding planner decorative vortex, that is kind of cute.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

:megusta:
Grats!
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Pretty awesome place. It's larger than I'd want but that's better than being crammed into a too small apartment. Large garage is great too.

You should be able to get a good deal on a grill now. End of the season, so they should all be on sail at HD or Lowes or whatever. I have a Weber propane grill, it's great.
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:20 am You should be able to get a good deal on a grill now. End of the season, so they should all be on sail at HD or Lowes or whatever. I have a Weber propane grill, it's great.
I'll be lookin' real soon. Debating going with propane, which is all I've really had before, vs. charcoal. Thinking propane for the grill because a green egg or similar knockoff is in the cards after having some fruits of that labor this weekend. That'll cover charcoal/wood chip/slow cooking.

Also, here is the butcher shop that is on my bike ride home. The path to financial ruin is paved w/$35/lb ribeyes.

:fuckyeah: :waxer:
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

stripethree wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:32 am
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:20 am You should be able to get a good deal on a grill now. End of the season, so they should all be on sail at HD or Lowes or whatever. I have a Weber propane grill, it's great.
I'll be lookin' real soon. Debating going with propane, which is all I've really had before, vs. charcoal. Thinking propane for the grill because a green egg or similar knockoff is in the cards after having some fruits of that labor this weekend. That'll cover charcoal/wood chip/slow cooking.

Also, here is the butcher shop that is on my bike ride home. The path to financial ruin is paved w/$35/lb ribeyes.

Sweet. Butcher on the way home sounds great.

I had a charcoal grill before this one. People say charcoal tastes better but I think that's mostly baloney. Maybe a bit better but the propane is far easier to use, gives a more adjustable and (IMO) even heat. Huge improvement. And the tank lasts me all year and is $20 to change out at HD. The grill is more expensive doe, so there's that. Mine was a gift. :alpo:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

stripethree wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:32 am

honestly for ease of use I'd go gas and get a charcoal/wood chip tray for the flavor. Gas is sooper easy to use and gets hot quick.
brain go brrrrrr
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Weber grill, lump charcoal, chimney starter /bread
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
SAWCE

Butcher shop sounds good. 5/7 would eat through their lunch menu. Here's the one I use out here when I feel like getting fancy steaks https://www.theheartandtrotter.com/
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Gas grill is easy peesy to run and get hot quick. Coal takes a bit more planning.

So I’m confused. Is all your space the detached garage unit? You said main house. What is main house? Did they really cram 1100 sqft into garage??
Wocka Wocka
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Nothing Good

dubshow wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:41 pm Gas grill is easy peesy to run and get hot quick. Coal takes a bit more planning.

So I’m confused. Is all your space the detached garage unit? You said main house. What is main house? Did they really cram 1100 sqft into garage??
It appears that there might be two floors above the garage itself. It looks like it could be pretty spacious. Interesting look definitely.
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

The detached garage house is my space, not the main house. My spot is two levels and all the interior pics in this thread are from my garage house. Three ladies living in the main house just me in the garage house.

The lower level has the garage and a bedroom/bathroom/under the stairs closet. Upstairs there are two bedrooms, each with bathroom and closet, and the kitchen/living space.
Wocka Wocka
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

stripethree wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:11 am The detached garage house is my space, not the main house. My spot is two levels and all the interior pics in this thread are from my garage house. Three ladies living in the main house just me in the garage house.

The lower level has the garage and a bedroom/bathroom/under the stairs closet. Upstairs there are two bedrooms, each with bathroom and closet, and the kitchen/living space.
That's a pretty decent design. Three bathrooms are nice. I'd love to have a house setup with a bathroom off all my rooms.
SAWCE

stripethree wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:11 am The detached garage house is my space, not the main house. My spot is two levels and all the interior pics in this thread are from my garage house. Three ladies living in the main house just me in the garage house.

Any of them cute? Can I come visit?
Wocka Wocka
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

SAWCE wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:23 pm

Any of them cute? Can I come visit?
:dat:

This guy. Smart fella.
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

SAWCE wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:23 pm Any of them cute? Can I come visit?
One of 3 verified legit cute but IIRC she's not into dudes. Of other two, I met one chatting over a fence in the dark, so TBD and haven't met the third at all yet. I thought landlord said two of them are a couple. Who knows.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

stripethree wrote:
One of 3 verified legit cute but IIRC she's not into dudes. Of other two, I met one chatting over a fence in the dark, so TBD and haven't met the third at all yet. I thought landlord said two of them are a couple. Who knows.
Sounds like you should buy a telescope.
Wocka Wocka
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

stripethree wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:32 pm
Sounds like a threesome waiting to happen there.

troyguitar wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:51 pm
stripethree wrote:
Sounds like you should buy a telescope.
:dat: