Real Estate Thread

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Louisville is 5/7. I'd live there in a second.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:45 pm
Apex wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:38 pm

Buddy of mine lives in Buffalo, huge turn around in that city over the last few years. It's really an up and coming place.
What jobs are there?
My buddy does engineering work for Verizon up there. I haven't looked at the jerb market, but have been told a lot of younger people are moving to the city. :millennial:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

If I had the ability to live anywhere in the Fuckyeah'murica I'd probably pick FL... warm weather and no income tax.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

max225 wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:16 pm Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:disgust:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:37 pm
max225 wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:16 pm Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
All the places to avoid, IMO.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
wap

Detroit wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:43 am
wap wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:37 pm

All the places to avoid, IMO.
:dat:
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:21 pm
Detroit wrote:Louisville is 5/7. I'd live there in a second.
Salt Lake is VERY similar
Except for the weak booze. :disgust:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

I never really got in on the value part of this thread...

Just checked out the "Zestimate" of my gf's townhouse that I live in, it's $154k, two bedroom, 2.5 bath, two story, 1200 square feet, no garage. Overall, I like this place, it's a good size for two people, comfortable, modern enough, nice to have two stories. She bought it for $120k back in 2014, so it's doing alright with value. Why so cheap? It's basically in the sticks, it's about 20 miles from the center of Charlotte. With no traffic, it's fine, but between 6:30 and 10 or 3 and 7 PM it's easily an hour+ trip, which sucks. There's really only one route into town and our government created a nightmare of an expansion plan, involving a private toll road that's now being built and will cost up to $20 each way to get into the city at rush hour. Yes, up to $200 per week... :wtf:

If you jump up to a house with two car garage in our hood, you're looking at $250-300k for an average place: https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/C ... ect/14_zm/

So... pretty cheap up here in the far flung 'burbs. Where the :mahtroy: problem comes in is if you want to be in a nicer house in a desireable area near town. Basically, prices have doubled since I moved here in 2011 and they keep going up. I'm coming to terms with the fact that I'll likely never be able to live in the neighborhood I rented in previously again, and I'm likely stuck in the sticks forever. There are certainly worse problems, this little town has cool bars, restaurants, mountain biking trails, really everything I need. It's just when I want to meet friends or family, it's always a trip. If I ever change jobs and have a commute into the city, it would really suck.

Here is an average place, no garage, in a nice area close to town: https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/C ... ect/12_zm/

Almost $700k for a four bedroom with no garage, that was $191k back in 2004.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:39 am
Detroit wrote: Except for the weak booze. :disgust:
Nah you can get booze there no problem. Not nearly as much of a pain as I assumed.
You can get it, but it's watered down.

7 years ago (or thereabouts), a buddy and I went mountain biking just outside of St George (kind of by Zion) and we ran into a a couple from SLC who were pretty rad. We rode some trails with them and when we got back to the parking lot, it turned out we parked next to them. They offered us beers and we hung out for a bit and chatted. Dude gave me an IPA that was like 3.9%. I asked him about, and he :rolleyes: said that there were caps on ABV in Salt Lake City. He claimed even liquor was watered down to some max ABV cap.

:iono: if that was :bs: or not, but he said he'd often drive out of the state to buy beer if they're on a trip. In fact, they were going to dip down into AZ after MTB to buy "high octane" beer.

:lolol: :disgust: :nope:
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:12 am
[user not found] wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:39 am Nah you can get booze there no problem. Not nearly as much of a pain as I assumed.

7 years ago (or thereabouts), a buddy and I went mountain biking just outside of St George (kind of by Zion) and we ran into a a couple from SLC who were pretty rad. We rode some trails with them and when we got back to the parking lot, it turned out we parked next to them. They offered us beers and we hung out for a bit and chatted. Dude gave me an IPA that was like 3.9%. I asked him about, and he :rolleyes: said that there were caps on ABV in Salt Lake City. He claimed even liquor was watered down to some max ABV cap.

:iono: if that was :bs: or not, but he said he'd often drive out of the state to buy beer if they're on a trip. In fact, they were going to dip down into AZ after MTB to buy "high octane" beer.

They sell that stuff everywhere now, it's cool. "Session" beers! Same price, half the alcohol! :rolleyes:
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

I had no issues drinking in salt lake. They have that nasty shit beer with 8 % or whatever all over the place.

The only strange thing was the fact that they have these weird measurement things for booze that are attached to liquor bottles.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:17 am

Definitely isn't the case with liquor now. Don't know about beer but is suspect that isn't the case anymore.
They do have a lot of weird laws though... can't order two drinks at a restaurant, have to sell food with booze IIRC, stuff like that.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:17 am

They sell that stuff everywhere now, it's cool. "Session" beers! Same price, half the alcohol! :rolleyes:
I can't stand "session" beers. :disgust: :nope:
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:31 am
max225 wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:21 am I had no issues drinking in salt lake. They have that nasty shit beer with 8 % or whatever all over the place.

The only strange thing was the fact that they have these weird measurement things for booze that are attached to liquor bottles.
Those are getting more common everywhere to keep bartenders from pouring heavy/losing a bar money but definitely not for the same reason SLC has them.
:dat:
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

I may be remembering it wrong but I believe the bars are only allowed to serve drinks that have at most 1.5 shot equivalents of liquor. I wasn't super fond of salt lake. Decent place but I can see myself being bored there, it is a small town with not much around it
wap

D Griff wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:22 am
[user not found] wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:17 am

Definitely isn't the case with liquor now. Don't know about beer but is suspect that isn't the case anymore.
They do have a lot of weird laws though... can't order two drinks at a restaurant, have to sell food with booze IIRC, stuff like that.
Regarding the bolded, we were having dinner at a microbrewery restaurant in Moab and I ordered a flight of beers and they could only bring out 2 at a time because of their silly laws.
wap

max225 wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:47 am I may be remembering it wrong but I believe the bars are only allowed to serve drinks that have at most 1.5 shot equivalents of liquor. I wasn't super fond of salt lake. Decent place but I can see myself being bored there, it is a small town with not much around it
Agreed. Some nice restaurants and such but it was pretty much a "one and done" place for me.
SixSpeeder
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Fiat

Yep, can confirm that Utah has crappy alcohol laws. My sister and I drove through a couple of years ago and stopped for the night at a hotel, I ran into a gas station to buy a 6-pack of beer after a long day of driving and was told that I couldn't because it was nighttime. :disappoint: :fullretard:
dyslexic wrote:DO YOU FEEL FEAR
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

SixSpeeder wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:36 pm Yep, can confirm that Utah has crappy alcohol laws. My sister and I drove through a couple of years ago and stopped for the night at a hotel, I ran into a gas station to buy a 6-pack of beer after a long day of driving and was told that I couldn't because it was nighttime. :disappoint: :fullretard:
Well, the most popular state for DFD members to reside in, PA, doesn't allow beer to be sold at gas stations period :wtf:

I like freedom states.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:07 pm
D Griff wrote:
Well, the most popular state for DFD members to reside in, PA, doesn't allow beer to be sold at gas stations period :wtf:

I like freedom states.
That's changing thankfully.
:fuckyeah: :drunk:
Apex

D Griff wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:01 pm
SixSpeeder wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:36 pm Yep, can confirm that Utah has crappy alcohol laws. My sister and I drove through a couple of years ago and stopped for the night at a hotel, I ran into a gas station to buy a 6-pack of beer after a long day of driving and was told that I couldn't because it was nighttime. :disappoint: :fullretard:

I like freedom states.
While driving today, I saw a guy drinking a big "America" in his :povertytruck:

:wtf:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Apex wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:13 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:01 pm

I like freedom states.

:fuckyeah: :drunk: :mahtroy:
Apex

D Griff wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:17 pm
Apex wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:13 pm

:fuckyeah: :drunk: :mahtroy:
I think it was :manuel: and not :mahtroy: but I didn't want to be near him long enough to really find out.