Dat bathrooom renovation thread, doe

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

:haus: :plac: incoming?

Wife and I finally found one we like in our general neighborhood and - here's the kicker - in our budget. :amaze: Albeit at the very top of what I consider our budget to be ($500k).

4 bedrooms - check.
Big enough yard for :baby: and :doge: - check.
Garage big enough for a full size SUV and the :turboyaris: - check.
Clean, dry basement with usable extra space - check.

2 major problems, though. The kitchen layout kind of sucks and there's really no way to fix it without gutting the back half of the house. The half bath is between the main room and the kitchen, so you'd have to move it to where the eating area in the kitchen is and blow out that space to connect the family room and the kitchen together. The other is that the bathrooms upstairs are...small. The hall bath is okay, really, I don't care if our two kids as they get older have to use one sink. :dealwithit: The master bath is a postage stamp space, though, and I could see getting annoyed with us both getting ready in there in the morning. Especially when I compare those two bathrooms to the spaces we just created in our admittedly smaller and $150k less expensive house, they're just really disappointing.

We put in a sort of lowball offer and I expect them to either ignore it or counter pretty far from where we are, and although I think we could deal with the kitchen layout I know it isn't exactly what we want. The problem is, though, everything in our neighborhood in our budget would require compromise of some kind, usually on yard size. This is easily on the larger end of that spectrum and most other houses this size on similar lots are easily in the $650k+ range. The lower level of finish is expected given the price difference, but I still have some mental barrier around spending close to $500k and not getting exactly what we want. :iono:

But what should he do?? Maybe some hibachi will help clear my head.

Amazing curb appeal, IMO.

Nice yard, especially for the neighborhood.

Dat kitchen, doe.
Last edited by coogles on Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

It looks nice
brain go brrrrrr
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:59 pm It looks nice
It definitely is. Nice enough to be worth close to $150k more than where we live now? Haven't made up our minds yet.
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

Beautiful digs man....but I feel you on the spending $500k and still compromising thing..... that galley kitchen would be :rage: for me .... we did that back in the day with a house that otherwise checked all the boxes and a day didn't go buy that I didn't think about how much I hated that kitchen....
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Irish wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:24 pm Beautiful digs man....but I feel you on the spending $500k and still compromising thing..... that galley kitchen would be :rage: for me .... we did that back in the day with a house that otherwise checked all the boxes and a day didn't go buy that I didn't think about how much I hated that kitchen....
Yeah, that is exactly what I'd be afraid of. Good perspective, thanks.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Is the -150k value of your house compared to the :plac: house your current value, or where you bought in at? If it’s where you bought, your house should be worth a good amount more, especially with the renovations you did. Could use that extra money from the sale to fix up the new one, no?
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:38 pm Is the -150k value of your house compared to the :plac: house your current value, or where you bought in at? If it’s where you bought, your house should be worth a good amount more, especially with the renovations you did. Could use that extra money from the sale to fix up the new one, no?
What's it's worth now. I think we'd get in the neighborhood of $350k for ours before realtor fees (6%).
SAWCE

coogles wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:42 pm
SAWCE wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:38 pm Is the -150k value of your house compared to the :plac: house your current value, or where you bought in at? If it’s where you bought, your house should be worth a good amount more, especially with the renovations you did. Could use that extra money from the sale to fix up the new one, no?
What's it's worth now. I think we'd get in the neighborhood of $350k for ours before realtor fees (6%).
:word: was hoping the $350 value was you still being conservative and giving the purchase price.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

SAWCE wrote:
:word: was hoping the $350 value was you still being conservative and giving the purchase price.
Gotcha. We bought the place in 2010 for $190 and have somewhere around 90-100 invested in improvements, so maybe $60-$70k in :plac: profit. I’ll take it, but not exactly :mindblown: considering we’ve been here for 9 years.

We’d plan on putting every bit of equity from this house into the next. We could certainly hold some of the equity from the current place to update the next, but I’m really hoping to avoid having to do that.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

coogles wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:56 pm :haus: :plac: incoming?

Wife and I finally found one we like in our general neighborhood and - here's the kicker - in our budget. :amaze: Albeit at the very top of what I consider our budget to be ($500k).

4 bedrooms - check.

2 major problems, though. The kitchen layout kind of sucks and there's really no way to fix it without gutting the back half of the house. The half bath is between the main room and the kitchen, so you'd have to move it to where the eating area in the kitchen is and blow out that space to connect the family room and the kitchen together. The other is that the bathrooms upstairs are...small. The hall bath is okay, really, I don't care if our two kids as they get older have to use one sink. :dealwithit: The master bath is a postage stamp space, though, and I could see getting annoyed with us both getting ready in there in the morning. Especially when I compare those two bathrooms to the spaces we just created in our admittedly smaller and $150k less expensive house, they're just really disappointing.

We put in a sort of lowball offer and I expect them to either ignore it or counter pretty far from where we are, and although I think we could deal with the kitchen layout I know it isn't exactly what we want. The problem is, though, everything in our neighborhood in our budget would require compromise of some kind, usually on yard size. This is easily on the larger end of that spectrum and most other houses this size on similar lots are easily in the $650k+ range. The lower level of finish is expected given the price difference, but I still have some mental barrier around spending close to $500k and not getting exactly what we want. :iono:

Dat kitchen, doe.
You're a George Washington motherfucker in this colonial blue doored nasty bitch. Do it. The kitchen does not induce seppuku.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:21 pmYou're a George Washington motherfucker in this colonial blue doored nasty bitch. Do it. The kitchen does not induce seppuku.
:lolol: :notwrong:

Won’t argue with you on the curb appeal. It’s gorgeous from the street.

One no and one yes so far. This has been helpful!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

4 bedrooms - check.

Dat kitchen, doe.
This reminds me a lot of the house we bought in our neighborhood. Modest house on a huge yard in an area with :waxer: houses, bought significantly below market because house needs updating. We paid $425k for the house when other houses of its size on our street are selling for $600k+. You have to make compromises for the lower price, but I justify it by never ever losing on it. We can improve and remodel over time and rest assured that every dime we put into it will come right back to us when/if we decide to sell because we bought it so low. No house will be perfect, especially if you're on a modest budget in a fancy area, so if it's most of the way there, I'd go for it and not look back.

I always recommend buying the cheapest house in the nicest area. Location is so much more critical than the house itself. This looks to me like buying a decent house in a great area with tons of potential. I'd go hard after this one if I were you.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

4 bedrooms - check.

Dat kitchen, doe.
This reminds me a lot of the house we bought in our neighborhood. Modest house on a huge yard in an area with :waxer: houses, bought significantly below market because house needs updating. We paid $425k for the house when other houses of its size on our street are selling for $600k+. You have to make compromises for the lower price, but I justify it by never ever losing on it. We can improve and remodel over time and rest assured that every dime we put into it will come right back to us when/if we decide to sell because we bought it so low. No house will be perfect, especially if you're on a modest budget in a fancy area, so if it's most of the way there, I'd go for it and not look back.

I always recommend buying the cheapest house in the nicest area. Location is so much more critical than the house itself. This looks to me like buying a decent house in a great area with tons of potential. I'd go hard after this one if I were you.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Holy fuck. Wife is having twins. :nuke:

Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

coogles wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:01 pm Holy fuck. Wife is having twins. :nuke:

:ohdang:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Way to go studly!
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Apex wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:06 pm :ohdang:
I'm honestly in complete shock right now. Just sort of staring blankly at my computer screen like :wtf:
Apex
Drives: Abominable

coogles wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:11 pm
I'm honestly in complete shock right now. Just sort of staring blankly at my computer screen like :wtf:
It's a fantastic surprise! Changes things a bit doe.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Just get it all done at once dude. Very tactical. Are you in the Special Forces?
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Apex wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:12 pm It's a fantastic surprise! Changes things a bit doe.
That it does. 3 kids in daycare vs. the 2 we expected, plus a more expensive house, I'm just not confident we can swing that. Seller countered, so we could just walk away. Probably what we end up doing.
SAWCE

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:15 pm

Just get it all done at once dude. Very tactical. Are you in the Special Forces?
That’s always been my thought on twins.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:31 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:15 pm

Yaaaa, but we were only planning on having 2 in total. Now it'll be 3. :yikes:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

coogles wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:41 pm
SAWCE wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:31 pm

Sounds like there is some minor surgery in your future.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:43 pm
coogles wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:41 pm

Sounds like there is some minor surgery in your future.
:dat:
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

:doomed:
:thisisfine:

Congrats, :doe: !
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.