Home chat 1.0

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!

How do you house, brah?

Own it
67%
Rent it
19%
:crang: in mom's basement
10%
:dong: grabbing frat house
2%
At school
No votes
I'm nomadic
2%

Total votes: 42
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

SAWCE wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:59 pm
wap wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:56 pm
Yeah, a whole- :haus: generator won't help with that. The way mine works is it kicks in about 12 seconds after it senses an outage so it won't constantly turn on and off. Then it shuts off about 12 seconds after it senses that power has been restored to make sure it's back for real. Little power flickers like you're describing don't make the generator fire up.
Got it. Thanks dude!
:mahman:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Sink and toilets plugged up again. Plumber out for the 4th time today. He’s jetting the whole sewer line.

Last time they found a huge plug of grease. But they fixed the symptom and didn’t check the rest.

Edit: yep more and more grease. There’s no way this all came from us. So that’s fun.

Found black mold at the rear of basement near the flooring under the kitchen sink. Where the bilco door is leaking. So it’s been leaking for a while. Moron last owners patched the stones with caulk so I now have to scrub all that shit off and grout it correctly. And fix mold.

I did manage to finish cleaning and coat 2/3 of the basement this weekend so that feels good. Installed the new dryer and it worked! Clothes came out just a little warm not surface of the sun.
wap

Sounds like previous idiots just dumped their frying grease right down the drain. :derp:
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:24 am Sink and toilets plugged up again. Plumber out for the 4th time today. He’s jetting the whole sewer line.

Last time they found a huge plug of grease. But they fixed the symptom and didn’t check the rest.

Edit: yep more and more grease. There’s no way this all came from us. So that’s fun.

Found black mold at the rear of basement near the flooring under the kitchen sink. Where the bilco door is leaking. So it’s been leaking for a while. Moron last owners patched the stones with caulk so I now have to scrub all that shit off and grout it correctly. And fix mold.

I did manage to finish cleaning and coat 2/3 of the basement this weekend so that feels good. Installed the new dryer and it worked! Clothes came out just a little warm not surface of the sun.
we have to have one of our lines hydroblasted after living here about a year. Old house shit. When you have work done, trust but verify, or something.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
Johnny_P

So update on sewer pipe.

I’m working from home on the 3rd floor. Plumber came and we put the dog outside with Lisa and Julian. It was snowing so this was very fun for all involved. Plumber came in and got to work. I went upstairs back to work.

I hear sloshing noises coming from the bathroom on the 3rd floor. Dude is in the basement so this is concerning. I went into the bathroom and water is exploding out of the toilet. I immediately ran downstairs and saw the two toilets on the second floor are spewing water everywhere. I threw towels down as quick as I could, closed the lid of Julians potty, and threw a towel over it. Dried water off the walls and floor so I didn’t have any ceiling stains.

By the time I came back downstairs the dude was “finished” with the front clean out port and was working on the back one. Heard more sloshing at the kitchen sink. So he’s really working the hell out of this pipe. This is the time the house starts to smell like sewage.

Lisa comes in with the dog saying plumber opened up the basement bilco doors. Odd but whatever so I take doggie inside. Only place I can put her is on the 3rd floor.

Come back down and now the house really stinks. I’m trying to give the guy space to work though.

Look outside and see the sidewalk iced over again so I go out to clear that and put salt down and plumber comes out. Said he’s never seen that much solidified kitchen grease come out of a pipe before. Proceeds to scold me for putting bacon fat down the drain. Ok bro I haven’t cooked bacon in this house yet but nice story. He said he cleaned up the basement but it needs to dry and there’s some black streaks but he got everything he could. Hmm.

Before he left he tells me he emptied his shop vac at the back of the yard. Whatever. He leaves.

I come inside and the house fucking reeks of sewage. Downstairs there’s literally sewage all over the back half of the basement. Sewage all over at least 4 cardboard boxes. All over the high chair. All over my wire shelving units and floor jack. Sewage footmarks all over my newly painted front half of the basement.

I panicked and opened all the soaked cardboard boxes. Threw all the stuff into the “clean” half of the basement. Mopped up standing water. Threw the shelves out the bilco door. Everything went outside into the snow. Called out of work. And spent the next 6 hours cleaning sewage from my house.

Eventually went outside and realized he dumped his shop vac ONTO MY FOUNDATION WALL next to a spigot. So my house will smell like sewage until it rains again? Dog has already found it and started eating it. So she can’t go out in the backyard unsupervised now.

The basement only somewhat smells of sewage now. I think it’s either my shop vac or that I didn’t clean the bike rack well enough.

Kicker?

Toilet clogged again tonight.
wap

Fucking hell. So sorry you're going through this. Get that asshole back and make him right his wrongs.

Or find someone better, :iono:
Johnny_P

wap wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:16 pm Fucking hell. So sorry you're going through this. Get that asshole back and make him right his wrongs.

I’m 50/50 on calling someone else or making them try again. I don’t want to clean up that much shit again though.
wap

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:34 pm
wap wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:16 pm Fucking hell. So sorry you're going through this. Get that asshole back and make him right his wrongs.

I’m 50/50 on calling someone else or making them try again. I don’t want to clean up that much shit again though.
Yeah, tough call for sure. If you ask me (and I know you didn't) I'd lean toward making/letting them try to make things right. If he's a stand up dude, he'll want to fix things right.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:04 pm *shitty story*

wow, that sucks bigtime dude. Those wire racks have allllll the surface area and are a bitch to clean.

Normally when one hydroblasts a pipe all the junk goes to the sewer.....wow.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
Johnny_P

golftdibrad1 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:04 am
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:04 pm *shitty story*

wow, that sucks bigtime dude. Those wire racks have allllll the surface area and are a bitch to clean.

Normally when one hydroblasts a pipe all the junk goes to the sewer.....wow.
Yeah I got some serious degreaser spray and soaked them in that then rinsed them off outside in the 20 degree snow covered backyard. Managed to not plug up the hose so that’s good. Actually that wasnt so bad since they were all waiting to be assembled, cit was easy to just bring them out.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

its not just you Jonny boi.

Cast iron sewer drainline cracked in my top apt, leaking into my bottom apt. So next week after a couple-three grand of work I'll have to get out a drywall guy for too!

:ohwell:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

golftdibrad1 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:52 am its not just you Jonny boi.

Cast iron sewer drainline cracked in my top apt, leaking into my bottom apt. So next week after a couple-three grand of work I'll have to get out a drywall guy for too!

Anything you can attribute this to other than the sands of time?
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Just had the guy that did our initial inspection come out to do our 11-month home warranty inspection. No major findings, some small stuff like drywall cracks and touch up paint, some creaky floors, and some windows/doors that don’t quite latch right due to settling. We’ll get the report tonight and submit to the warranty company.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:29 pm
golftdibrad1 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:52 am its not just you Jonny boi.

Nope, just old. likely corroded in the center/low point over time and eventually internal stresses said "no more holmes" and it cracked.

Yall will love my temp fix tho.... big ass hose clamp for an intake. enough to squeeze the line back together and practically stop the leak.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

golftdibrad1 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:03 pm

Nope, just old. likely corroded in the center/low point over time and eventually internal stresses said "no more holmes" and it cracked.

Yall will love my temp fix tho.... big ass hose clamp for an intake. enough to squeeze the line back together and practically stop the leak.
Bro. Hose clamp and Flex Seal could buy you YEARS
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:49 pm

Bro. Hose clamp and Flex Seal could buy you YEARS
heh. I am not a shithead landlord :doe:
Johnny_P

That temp fix seems ok to me. That’s effectively what a pipe clamp is anyway.
Johnny_P

Toilets backed up again and the kitchen sink went back to slow draining. Gotta get a different plumber out. Hopefully one that doesn’t spray sewage all over my basement again.

I’m f’ing done with this house. Started looking at real estate listings again. I’ve spent $6k per month on repairs since we moved in.
Johnny_P

That’s the corner of my yard. The gray stuff is sewage. Under the plastic is sewage chunks. Dog is eating it. So I can’t let her out back unsupervised, which was a major reason we wanted to move from south Philly.

Internet says to use garden lime and fence off the area. Or dispose of the soil and put new soil and grass down. Not sure what to do here.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:34 pm Image

That’s the corner of my yard. The gray stuff is sewage. Under the plastic is sewage chunks. Dog is eating it. So I can’t let her out back unsupervised, which was a major reason we wanted to move from south Philly.

Internet says to use garden lime and fence off the area. Or dispose of the soil and put new soil and grass down. Not sure what to do here.
dog trainer told me they hate vinegar, maybe douse the area with it and she will stop? The sewage will eventually become part of the earth again. or you could dig a hole.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

Very minor complaints in comparison to Johnny’s.. home owners insurance policy rates went up a bit. Mortgage is up $41/mo.
Johnny_P

So update on the deck that pools water and drains it into the house foundation.

According to the previous owner. They replaced the deck themselves. They switched it from a gapped board construction to a tongue and groove construction and did not alter the underlying structure at all.

So another point for the moron prior owners. Tongue and groove decks must be pitched like 1/4” per ft. Otherwise they hold water and won’t drain. Like mine.
wap

Fucking hell. :|
So what are you gonna do, tear it down and rebuild it or just replace the deck itself? Are the joists and posts ok?
Johnny_P

wap wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:26 pm Fucking hell. :|
So what are you gonna do, tear it down and rebuild it or just replace the deck itself? Are the joists and posts ok?
I mean I don’t care if it rots away. It’s currently pooling water which drains against the foundation of the house. Foundation is stone and mortar so it’s just destroying that.

I’ll try and devise some sort of drain system I think. Like shower drains, or maybe slots, with PVC underneath to at least give the water somewhere else to go. Path of least resistance. And tar over the ledger board.
Johnny_P

On the plus side tho. Yesterday I got a bunch of stuff cleaned out of the old south Philly house. And did an emergency repair on the bathroom sink plumbing. The pipe that holds the plunger thing snapped in half. Had to drill holes in it to get it apart since it had totally seized together. But I was able to do it and only cost like $40.