Home chat 1.0

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!

How do you house, brah?

Own it
67%
Rent it
19%
:crang: in mom's basement
10%
:dong: grabbing frat house
2%
At school
No votes
I'm nomadic
2%

Total votes: 42
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

coogles wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:50 pm :mahtroy: luck continues.

There's a 3 day waiting period between when the buyer accepts the Closing Disclosure (how much we have to bring to closing) and when we can actually go to closing. We close Friday, so that day is today. We received our Closing Disclosure at 2:30pm, but of course there was an error. Because the house was an investment property briefly and that person was stupid, there were delinquent taxes and penalties on the property that were paid this year. The morons at the title company thought these were the actual normal property taxes, so they provided a property tax amount to our bank that was more than $2,000 too high.

We have to bring 6 months of property taxes to close, so that's $1,000 we shouldn't have to bring to close, plus the mortgage payment was going to be set ~$170/mo too high. I can't get the person at the title company who provided that information to our bank to call me back, but the bank evidently can't verify this kind of thing on their own even though I sent them the fucking property tax records via direct link to the county website.

If we can't get the Closing Disclosure updated and sent to us in, oh, the next 13 minutes, it's looking like we're not going to make Friday. And of course the seller has promised to nix the whole thing if we miss that deadline.

I just have to :lolol: at this point.
:popcorn: :sweaty:

Incompetent asses! Two more days till Friday so hopefully things align for you
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

There's a 3 day waiting period between when the buyer accepts the Closing Disclosure (how much we have to bring to closing) and when we can actually go to closing. We close Friday, so that day is today. We received our Closing Disclosure at 2:30pm, but of course there was an error. Because the house was an investment property briefly and that person was stupid, there were delinquent taxes and penalties on the property that were paid this year. The morons at the title company thought these were the actual normal property taxes, so they provided a property tax amount to our bank that was more than $2,000 too high.

We have to bring 6 months of property taxes to close, so that's $1,000 we shouldn't have to bring to close, plus the mortgage payment was going to be set ~$170/mo too high. I can't get the person at the title company who provided that information to our bank to call me back, but the bank evidently can't verify this kind of thing on their own even though I sent them the fucking property tax records via direct link to the county website.

If we can't get the Closing Disclosure updated and sent to us in, oh, the next 13 minutes, it's looking like we're not going to make Friday. And of course the seller has promised to nix the whole thing if we miss that deadline.

the previous owner was late on rent, :howdareu:
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Holy hell...you just can't catch a break.

If it were me, I'd probably just deal with the higher cost at closing and battle it later. That extra $1k for taxes would just end up in your escrow acct as an overage at some point...same with the higher mortgage payment. After closing, I'd ask to dissolve the escrow account, get my money, and take the lower monthly payment to just pay the prop taxes myself.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Our loan processor finally told us changes could be made after the Closing Disclosure was signed, so we went ahead and gave our e-signatures since we had to have 3 days between acknowledgement and when we can go to closing. We shall see.

Another fun little happening last night, though.

Yesterday we had the inspection for our current house, and late last night our realtor forwarded us a picture from the inspection report noting carbon monoxide was detected at the water heater. No note of what kind of levels or anything, but obviously we were pretty damn concerned. We message back and ask if she has any more detail, so the buyers' agent forwards along a picture of the meter saying nearly 4,000ppm were detected at the flue, which is a lethal concentration. Now freaking out, we call the fire department to have them bring out a CO meter, and I take our CO detector and put it right on top of the water heater. My wife and son go over to the neighbor's house, we let the dogs out, and I stood on the front porch and waited for the fire department to come.

Of course, rather than one dude in an SUV, a full on ladder truck shows up and 3 guys hop out in full fire gear minus their helmets. Is that really necessary? We all walk down to the basement and the guy breaks out his CO meter. He holds it right next to the water heater, nothing. The furnace kicks on so we wait another minute or so. Nothing. 0ppm and the meter never budges.

:rolleyes:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:38 am Holy hell...you just can't catch a break.

If it were me, I'd probably just deal with the higher cost at closing and battle it later. That extra $1k for taxes would just end up in your escrow acct as an overage at some point...same with the higher mortgage payment. After closing, I'd ask to dissolve the escrow account, get my money, and take the lower monthly payment to just pay the prop taxes myself.
Hm, I wonder if the escrow really can be dissolved. I threatened to not escrow and was informed that our rate would go up at least a quarter of a percentage point.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

coogles wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:11 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:38 am Holy hell...you just can't catch a break.

Hm, I wonder if the escrow really can be dissolved. I threatened to not escrow and was informed that our rate would go up at least a quarter of a percentage point.
down here they simply will not underwrite a loan without escrow
brain go brrrrrr
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

That is very common, if your lender would even allow it. Like :fax: mentions some lenders will simply not underwrite a deal if taxes aren’t being escrowed.
ChrisoftheNorth

Escrow can absolutely be dissolved...BUT I wouldn't be surprised if some banks did charge in the way of increased rates for it. Lame.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

coogles wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:08 am Our loan processor finally told us changes could be made after the Closing Disclosure was signed, so we went ahead and gave our e-signatures since we had to have 3 days between acknowledgement and when we can go to closing. We shall see.

Yesterday we had the inspection for our current house, and late last night our realtor forwarded us a picture from the inspection report noting carbon monoxide was detected at the water heater. No note of what kind of levels or anything, but obviously we were pretty damn concerned. We message back and ask if she has any more detail, so the buyers' agent forwards along a picture of the meter saying nearly 4,000ppm were detected at the flue, which is a lethal concentration. Now freaking out, we call the fire department to have them bring out a CO meter, and I take our CO detector and put it right on top of the water heater. My wife and son go over to the neighbor's house, we let the dogs out, and I stood on the front porch and waited for the fire department to come.

Of course, rather than one dude in an SUV, a full on ladder truck shows up and 3 guys hop out in full fire gear minus their helmets. Is that really necessary? We all walk down to the basement and the guy breaks out his CO meter. He holds it right next to the water heater, nothing. The furnace kicks on so we wait another minute or so. Nothing. 0ppm and the meter never budges.

This is why I always take inspections with a grain of salt. "lethal concentration"? REALLY?

Totally understand the freak-out, I would too...but pretty frustrating to go through all that for absolutely nothing.
Apex

Also coogs, is that a volunteer fire squad? They will break out all the things (trucks, gear, etc) just because they can.
ChrisoftheNorth

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:15 am

Right...I'm talking about after it's all done. I looked into it before when my property taxes kept going up and they wanted to take more and more for escrow. I'd rather just pay it all at once on my own than deal with all the escrow nonsense.

We ended up selling that house and moving into our current one. The taxes and escrow have remained stable, so whatever.
Apex

Detroit wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:25 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:15 am

Right...I'm talking about after it's all done. I looked into it before when my property taxes kept going up and they wanted to take more and more for escrow. I'd rather just pay it all at once on my own than deal with all the escrow nonsense.

We ended up selling that house and moving into our current one. The taxes and escrow have remained stable, so whatever.
You can do whatever after the note is paid off. You’re entering into a contract with the bank/lender under specific terms and conditions.

It’s far safer for the bank to hold funds in escrow, hence the rate premium for not escrowing taxes.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:23 am This is why I always take inspections with a grain of salt. "lethal concentration"? REALLY?

Totally understand the freak-out, I would too...but pretty frustrating to go through all that for absolutely nothing.
Yeah I mean the lethal concentration comment was mine after looking up CO poisoning on Wikipedia, the inspector didn't provide anything regarding our safety.

Supposedly the buyers are going to provide an inspection response this a.m. :popcorn:
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

coogles wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:08 am Our loan processor finally told us changes could be made after the Closing Disclosure was signed, so we went ahead and gave our e-signatures since we had to have 3 days between acknowledgement and when we can go to closing. We shall see.

Such :bs:
A few years ago I had our then boiler guy out to service/tune up our boiler. He told me the same thing; that his meter was reading dangerously high levels of CO and our boiler was "term", meaning it needed replacement. He was happy to give us a quote on a new boiler, of course. Like you, I called the fire department and had them come out to check. They told me their equipment was much more sensitive than what an HVAC guy would have. They registered zero on their meter. :rolleyes: I never called that HVAC guy again and got the name of another local guy who has been servicing my boiler ever since and tells me the unit is :fine: .
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:10 pm

A few years ago I had our then boiler guy out to service/tune up our boiler. He told me the same thing; that his meter was reading dangerously high levels of CO and our boiler was "term", meaning it needed replacement. He was happy to give us a quote on a new boiler, of course. Like you, I called the fire department and had them come out to check. They told me their equipment was much more sensitive than what an HVAC guy would have. They registered zero on their meter. :rolleyes: I never called that HVAC guy again and got the name of another local guy who has been servicing my boiler ever since and tells me the unit is :fine: .
The boiler at our last house was ancient...but worked just fine. I had a guy come out when we first moved in who told us we need to replace the boiler...to the tune of $5k or something. I said :notsure: and bought a book on steam heat to fix it myself. That thing worked great.

Then when we had AC installed, the guy took a look at our boiler as said it was in great shape for it's age and that it wouldn't be worth replacing.

Some people are about the upsell, others are about doing the right thing. Hard to find the latter sadly.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Detroit wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:04 pm

The boiler at our last house was ancient...but worked just fine. I had a guy come out when we first moved in who told us we need to replace the boiler...to the tune of $5k or something. I said :notsure: and bought a book on steam heat to fix it myself. That thing worked great.

Then when we had AC installed, the guy took a look at our boiler as said it was in great shape for it's age and that it wouldn't be worth replacing.

Some people are about the upsell, others are about doing the right thing. Hard to find the latter sadly.
:dat:

We replaced our AC two years ago to increase capacity and efficiency Everyone wanted to sell me a furnace too. All the estimates were $12-15k, depending on the brand and features. Last guy that came out was very honest and upfront about everything and said the furnace would be fine to keep, but if we had problems later he could replace it at that time. Ended up getting a no credit card, check price of $7300 and then a $500 rebate for the complete A/C install. 2 years later everything is still perfect.

Contractors are the worst slimey used car dealer of them all.
ChrisoftheNorth

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:15 pm

:dat:

We replaced our AC two years ago to increase capacity and efficiency Everyone wanted to sell me a furnace too. All the estimates were $12-15k, depending on the brand and features. Last guy that came out was very honest and upfront about everything and said the furnace would be fine to keep, but if we had problems later he could replace it at that time. Ended up getting a no credit card, check price of $7300 and then a $500 rebate for the complete A/C install. 2 years later everything is still perfect.

Contractors are the worst slimey used car dealer of them all.
They really are...but when you find a good one, it's incredible.
wap

:dat: :dat:
Fortunately I think I found the latter with my current guy. Thing is, boilers are such simple, low tech things that they usually last decades. Burners, a small water pump (if it's not a steam unit like yours), an emergency relief valve, expansion tank, and some simple electronics and that's it. The CO :bs: is just to wring a sale from some :derp: :crang: s. :disgust:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Whelp, we officially own two houses. :doomed:
Apex

coogles wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:20 pm Whelp, we officially own two houses. :doomed:
Use one as a daycare. :lol:
wap

coogles wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:20 pm Whelp, we officially own two houses. :doomed:
:thisisfine:
wap

Apex wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:24 pm
Use one as a daycare. :lol:
:lolol:
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

All other houses suck

Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

[user not found] wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:11 am
Johnny_P wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:21 pm All other houses suck

FLW houses are terrible to live in, but great to look at.
I don’t think this would suck to live in.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:47 am
[user not found] wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:11 am

FLW houses are terrible to live in, but great to look at.
I don’t think this would suck to live in.
Depends, are you an exhibitionist? The tours might get tiring in your daily life.

https://fallingwater.org/