Home chat 1.0

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!

How do you house, brah?

Own it
67%
Rent it
19%
:crang: in mom's basement
10%
:dong: grabbing frat house
2%
At school
No votes
I'm nomadic
2%

Total votes: 42
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:58 am
Detroit wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:46 am
Interesting.

You do you. I did the big house thing before and it sucks. I'll never have a house larger than 2.5k.
I like our well laid out 2k + 650 in the garage. its comfortable but manageable.
Ideal IMO.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Detroit wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:01 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:58 am

I like our well laid out 2k + 650 in the garage. its comfortable but manageable.
Ideal IMO.
Yes, but it is also the most expensive option. I dont have the capital to do what :fax: did.
ChrisoftheNorth

dubshow wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:17 am
Detroit wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:01 am
Ideal IMO.
Yes, but it is also the most expensive option. I dont have the capital to do what :fax: did.
Have you taken into account all the additional costs that come with a larger :haus: ?
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Detroit wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:19 am

Have you taken into account all the additional costs that come with a larger :haus: ?
I suspect not. Still waiting to hear deets IRL. Those windows on that house look old, and french doors barely keep the air seperate
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:27 am
I suspect not. Still waiting to hear deets IRL. Those windows on that house look old, and french doors barely keep the air seperate
It's not just maintenance :doe:

Insurance is quite a bit more. Taxes are likely more. Utilities are certainly more. "Cheap" big houses are anything but.

Then there's the effort required for cleaning and keeping everything orderly. It's really not fun.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:32 am

Insurance is quite a bit more. Taxes are likely more. Utilities are certainly more. "Cheap" big houses are anything but.

Then there's the effort required for cleaning and keeping everything orderly. It's really not fun.
:triggered:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

yes, mostly. Everything will likely run about 15% higher. I am budgeting to replacing one of the older ac systems anyway (has 2 which is just :wasteful: ) . Will also insulate and LED all the lighting. We dont have the heating costs that you northern guys face. Forced air nat gas does just fine here.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Detroit wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:32 am

all things I know...
brain go brrrrrr
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Taxes are still minimal and will likely be only $1850 vs the $1640 we pay now.

Ins will increase as well and we already pay a higher ins premium for good coverage.

You can be against the larger house but the only thing different is how large the kitchen and living room are. The rest of it is very comparable to what we have now. Its exactly 1k sqft more. I still scratch my head at the ludicrous buy pricing that you guys pay. Having a $550k :haus: in the great north +tax burden is the ultimate :disgust: imo. your house is a full factor of 2 more than this.

All this is still leaving me with a smaller/same house note and I get the garage space/shop along with more outdoor space.
ChrisoftheNorth

dubshow wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:44 am Taxes are still minimal and will likely be only $1850 vs the $1640 we pay now.

Ins will increase as well and we already pay a higher ins premium for good coverage.

You can be against the larger house but the only thing different is how large the kitchen and living room are. The rest of it is very comparable to what we have now. Its exactly 1k sqft more. I still scratch my head at the ludicrous buy pricing that you guys pay. Having a $550k :haus: in the great north +tax burden is the ultimate :disgust: imo. your house is a full factor of 2 more than this.

All this is still leaving me with a smaller/same house note and I get the garage space/shop along with more outdoor space.
:notbad:

Kitchen and pantry space is certainly useful.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

i got the :fax: this could be a :notbad: :dill: for :dubshow:
brain go brrrrrr
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Offer/agreement letter is in. Lets make sure all the terms jive but we should be under contract and set to close March 22.

Then the renovations begin.

:meatspin:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:58 am
dubshow wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:44 am Taxes are still minimal and will likely be only $1850 vs the $1640 we pay now.

Its what the wife really wants. I dont get her affinity for pantry. And she is doing her part in pay so she gets a say.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

dubshow wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:18 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:58 am

Its what the wife really wants. I dont get her affinity for pantry. And she is doing her part in pay so she gets a say.
Within reason, this is always an excellent reason to do things.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:25 pm
dubshow wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:18 pm

Within reason, this is always an excellent reason to do things.
:dat: :dat: :dat:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

We are all also in agreement that the house is "too large" but its the only thing ive found after a while of searching that checks most of the boxes. If it all works out well we should have a really nice equity position in a :notbad: place and monthly bills wont be terribly increased.

for reference the wife now makes more than double what she did when we bought our first house together.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

If the offer is accepted I'll need to make my own :haus: bread. We have some solid renovation work to jump right into with about a 4-6 week schedule.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

dubshow wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:54 pm If the offer is accepted I'll need to make my own :haus: bread. We have some solid renovation work to jump right into with about a 4-6 week schedule.
:impressive: In4 :bread:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

dubshow wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:07 pm While riding bikes around, wife and I browsed some houses IRL that ive been stalking.

The last floodville :haus: was a nope. Not sure if I updated but the owner countered my $260k fast close, zero stipulation or money back offer with $293k. Ask was $295. Image :yeahok: for ref he bought house for $154k 1.5 years ago and has MAYBE 75k into it.

So new house that is MASSIVE. Im very :notsure: over all on it. We will either do some reno to our (cheaper option most likely) or continue to browse things. This was 3150 sqft with a 20x20 garage and a 19x20 carport. The house needs a roof IMO, its aged. Has a lot of great reno things done but they totally fucked up the tile install in every room i could see. it looks good in photos but IRL the tiles cast shadows and the grout is done poorly in the master bed. The bathrooms are also fairly pleb for a house in the nearly $300k range. The wife likes the kitchen. I like the already extended garage/shop thing. The outdoor patio area is also nice.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1600 ... lpage=true

ImageImageImageImage
So if you go to the link this place has this dope, fully remodeled kitchen, pretty nice looking tile work in the bathrooms, and some nice bedrooms. So what is the teaser DFD post? The door to the garage next to a sportsball hoop and the two car carport with concrete cracks all over the place for your 80's Kraut project de jure. All that is missing is the airboat and the inoperational hottub.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:54 pm
dubshow wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:07 pm While riding bikes around, wife and I browsed some houses IRL that ive been stalking.

The last floodville :haus: was a nope. Not sure if I updated but the owner countered my $260k fast close, zero stipulation or money back offer with $293k. Ask was $295. Image :yeahok: for ref he bought house for $154k 1.5 years ago and has MAYBE 75k into it.

So new house that is MASSIVE. Im very :notsure: over all on it. We will either do some reno to our (cheaper option most likely) or continue to browse things. This was 3150 sqft with a 20x20 garage and a 19x20 carport. The house needs a roof IMO, its aged. Has a lot of great reno things done but they totally fucked up the tile install in every room i could see. it looks good in photos but IRL the tiles cast shadows and the grout is done poorly in the master bed. The bathrooms are also fairly pleb for a house in the nearly $300k range. The wife likes the kitchen. I like the already extended garage/shop thing. The outdoor patio area is also nice.

ImageImageImageImage
So if you go to the link this place has this dope, fully remodeled kitchen, pretty nice looking tile work in the bathrooms, and some nice bedrooms. So what is the teaser DFD post? The door to the garage next to a sportsball hoop and the two car carport with concrete cracks all over the place for your 80's Kraut project de jure. All that is missing is the airboat and the inoperational hottub.
Holy shit, this thing looks :tits: inside.

goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

ImageImageImageImage
look, hes working on it, ok? give him a year or two.
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:55 pm

Breh's point was Dub led with all the shitty aspects and not the best. Looking at the outside, you'd assume it was inhabited by crack heads. The inside is outstanding, which helps justify the entire thing. The outside stuff is way minor now.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

In all seriousness I love the flat layout of this place, although a riding mower is purchase ONE. Then enclose the carport and create garage mahal.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:01 pm

Breh's point was Dub led with all the shitty aspects and not the best. Looking at the outside, you'd assume it was inhabited by crack heads. The inside is outstanding, which helps justify the entire thing. The outside stuff is way minor now.
Dat :eeyore: perspective for life. If I just blasted all the photoshopped max HDR pro photos, that wouldnt paint the real picture.

I was showing some of the parts the need work and intentionally are not showcased in ad.

weee... fake grass

ohhhh fancy stainless metal - with cheap presswood cabinets

ahhhhhhh..... massive living room - with crooked tile casting shadows.

Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:01 pm

My point was really that Eric was just being a DOOD and showing us where he was going to park his cars instead of the more renovated aspects of the home.