Home chat 1.0

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!

How do you house, brah?

Own it
67%
Rent it
19%
:crang: in mom's basement
10%
:dong: grabbing frat house
2%
At school
No votes
I'm nomadic
2%

Total votes: 42
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

SAWCE wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:05 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:34 am

....I thought the dog crossed the rainbow bridge?
There were two dogs. Now only one.
so moving in together... round 3 if my count is accurate?
brain go brrrrrr
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:10 am
SAWCE wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:05 am

There were two dogs. Now only one.
Yes’th. Think I’d mentioned when I first started browsing places a month or two back that that was the plan, but maybe not. This one will be the last time. We’re in a better place than ever before. If something does come along that manages to shake us, then it’ll be time to call it quits for good and realize that it’s just not meant to be.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

SAWCE wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:36 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:10 am

Yes’th. Think I’d mentioned when I first started browsing places a month or two back that that was the plan, but maybe not. This one will be the last time. We’re in a better place than ever before. If something does come along that manages to shake us, then it’ll be time to call it quits for good and realize that it’s just not meant to be.
Awesome. good luck!
brain go brrrrrr
SAWCE

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:47 am

Awesome. good luck!
Thank you sir!
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:47 am

Awesome. good luck!
:dat:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

House gets posted on all the sites yesterday morning so we call up our realtor to schedule an appointment for today at 5 to check it out.

I get a text now saying that they already have an offer on it but they'll still honor our appointment. :disgust:

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Wocka Wocka
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Nothing Good

Gberg2119 wrote:House gets posted on all the sites yesterday morning so we call up our realtor to schedule an appointment for today at 5 to check it out.

I get a text now saying that they already have an offer on it but they'll still honor our appointment. :disgust:

:wtf:

House buying is weird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Wocka Wocka wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:22 am
Gberg2119 wrote:House gets posted on all the sites yesterday morning so we call up our realtor to schedule an appointment for today at 5 to check it out.

:wtf:

House buying is weird.

Happened to our house.

House was listed with the same office our realtor worked in. She told us it was coming on the market and when, so we scheduled an appointment to see it the morning it listed. Submitted an offer that night, it was accepted the next morning. There was an open house scheduled that weekend, which they did, even with our offer accepted. They wanted to have backups in case something fell through with us, which is probably what they're doing for you.

If you're looking in a hot area, it makes a huge difference to have a proactive realtor on the lookout for things before they list. Ours certainly earned her commission.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
SAWCE

We got the house! Lease being signed today. Move in date of 7/9.

https://m.estately.com/listings/info/35 ... kee-avenue

There’s an old listing from when it sold to the people who sold it to our to-be landlords. Front yard has been redone with desert landscaping, back yard has the pavers removed and replaced with a concrete patio and that old
She’d is replaced by a brand new and much nicer 8’x12’ she’d. Rest of the backyard is untouched, but I’ll put some work in there to get at least a small area growing grass, maybe just from the end of the patio across to the fence, we’ll see how ambitious I get.

Interior is completely redone, brand new appliances, etc. I’ll have to grab some pictures if they let us get over there before the 9th. Hoping we can get in to get some more measurements and figure out furniture situation since it is still small inside.
ChrisoftheNorth

SAWCE wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:43 am We got the house! Lease being signed today. Move in date of 7/9.

There’s an old listing from when it sold to the people who sold it to our to-be landlords. Front yard has been redone with desert landscaping, back yard has the pavers removed and replaced with a concrete patio and that old
She’d is replaced by a brand new and much nicer 8’x12’ she’d. Rest of the backyard is untouched, but I’ll put some work in there to get at least a small area growing grass, maybe just from the end of the patio across to the fence, we’ll see how ambitious I get.

Interior is completely redone, brand new appliances, etc. I’ll have to grab some pictures if they let us get over there before the 9th. Hoping we can get in to get some more measurements and figure out furniture situation since it is still small inside.
:fuckyeah: congrats man! That's :excited: house looks like it has tons of potential, would love to see photos of it now.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
SAWCE

Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:49 am
SAWCE wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:43 am We got the house! Lease being signed today. Move in date of 7/9.

:fuckyeah: congrats man! That's :excited: house looks like it has tons of potential, would love to see photos of it now.
I’m really impressed by how nice they made it look inside. They’re finishing up the inside by hanging double curtain rods and curtains on every window. Walls were all freshly painted white, except the big bare wall in the living room is a nice blue/turquoise color. There isn’t much storage space inside, but we’ll have the extra bedroom that we’ll use for some storage. We don’t want that to be too cluttered though as it’ll be a guest bedroom or office, so we’ll both be purging a lot of the extra bullshit we’ve been carrying around and don’t actually need. Shed outside will be nice for storage too, but will still be looking to minimize stuff.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Wow, 700 sq ft and 1 bathroom? Guess I should stop complaining about 1100 and 1.5. I wish you luck on making that work. Dunno if I'd still be married after a year in that close of quarters... :thisisfine:
ChrisoftheNorth

SAWCE wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:54 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:49 am
I’m really impressed by how nice they made it look inside. They’re finishing up the inside by hanging double curtain rods and curtains on every window. Walls were all freshly painted white, except the big bare wall in the living room is a nice blue/turquoise color. There isn’t much storage space inside, but we’ll have the extra bedroom that we’ll use for some storage. We don’t want that to be too cluttered though as it’ll be a guest bedroom or office, so we’ll both be purging a lot of the extra bullshit we’ve been carrying around and don’t actually need. Shed outside will be nice for storage too, but will still be looking to minimize stuff.
Consolidating is always a good thing IMO.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

:fuckyeah: that’s awesome :sawce: !

:lol: awesomesawce.
SAWCE

Apex wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:00 pm

:fuckyeah: that’s awesome :sawce: !

:lol: awesomesawce.
:lol:
SAWCE

Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:57 am
SAWCE wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:54 am

Yeah, I like that part of moving. I have a few totes full of old books and stuff that I’ve carried around saying I’ll read them again, but I haven’t touched them in years. I’ll donate those to a library. I’ll keep my record collection, toss a bunch of old clothes and shoes, keep my tools and snowboard/gear, toss old laptops I’ve been hauling around that are worthless now, etc.
ChrisoftheNorth

SAWCE wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:37 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:57 am
Yeah, I like that part of moving. I have a few totes full of old books and stuff that I’ve carried around saying I’ll read them again, but I haven’t touched them in years. I’ll donate those to a library. I’ll keep my record collection, toss a bunch of old clothes and shoes, keep my tools and snowboard/gear, toss old laptops I’ve been hauling around that are worthless now, etc.
When we moved into our current house, we found a number of boxes that we didn't unpack from our previous move. We were there for 2.5 years, so whatever was in the boxes couldn't have been important. We just dropped the boxes off unopened at Salvation Army...I didn't want to give myself the chance to "oh, I could use this one day" bullshit.
SAWCE

Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:40 pm
SAWCE wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:37 pm

When we moved into our current house, we found a number of boxes that we didn't unpack from our previous move. We were there for 2.5 years, so whatever was in the boxes couldn't have been important. We just dropped the boxes off unopened at Salvation Army...I didn't want to give myself the chance to "oh, I could use this one day" bullshit.
:notbad: I’ve got at least one of those in my garage right now..
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

Detroit wrote:
Wocka Wocka wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:22 am :wtf:

House buying is weird.

Happened to our house.

House was listed with the same office our realtor worked in. She told us it was coming on the market and when, so we scheduled an appointment to see it the morning it listed. Submitted an offer that night, it was accepted the next morning. There was an open house scheduled that weekend, which they did, even with our offer accepted. They wanted to have backups in case something fell through with us, which is probably what they're doing for you.

If you're looking in a hot area, it makes a huge difference to have a proactive realtor on the lookout for things before they list. Ours certainly earned her commission.
It's definitely a seller's market in the area we're looking. These houses don't last at all.

Our realtor did send us a listing of one before it hit and we did check it out a day or so later. It was pretty much what we wanted except the neighbor was, let's just say, not good. Could've been the reason the family before was moving. Even that one was gone in a day or so. :disappoint:

SAWCE

troyguitar wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:56 am Wow, 700 sq ft and 1 bathroom? Guess I should stop complaining about 1100 and 1.5. I wish you luck on making that work. Dunno if I'd still be married after a year in that close of quarters... :thisisfine:
Yeah man, shit is tiny out here and costs too much. Current apartment is bigger, but no yard, idiots leaving the complex’ gate open so packages get stolen if you’re not there to receive them, etc.. will be nice to be in a single family unit.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

I suppose in general I would be willing to pay around $2000/mo for CA weather, so as long as the rent is $3k or less that's still a great deal to me. Fuck cold.
ChrisoftheNorth

Gberg2119 wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:30 pm
Detroit wrote: Happened to our house.

It's definitely a seller's market in the area we're looking. These houses don't last at all.

Our realtor did send us a listing of one before it hit and we did check it out a day or so later. It was pretty much what we wanted except the neighbor was, let's just say, not good. Could've been the reason the family before was moving. Even that one was gone in a day or so. :disappoint:

Keep at it, takes a while to buy a house in a seller's market.

Also, good neighbors are critical. They can make or break a house, sadly since it's almost entirely out of your control.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:53 pm
Gberg2119 wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:30 pm

Also, good neighbors are critical. They can make or break a house, sadly since it's almost entirely out of your control.
I’m sure not sharing walls is a fantastic improvement to start with.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:23 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:53 pm

I’m sure not sharing walls is a fantastic improvement to start with.
It is...but man...loud or nosey neighbors will still ruin a living experience.
SAWCE

troyguitar wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:50 pm I suppose in general I would be willing to pay around $2000/mo for CA weather, so as long as the rent is $3k or less that's still a great deal to me. Fuck cold.
Yeah we’re in here for $2200/month. Was supposed to be $2100, but two of the other applicants both offered to pay $2200, so that asked us if we could match that. Extra $100 isn’t bad, and it’s still cheaper than what we’re each paying for our current places.