Home chat 1.0

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!

How do you house, brah?

Own it
67%
Rent it
19%
:crang: in mom's basement
10%
:dong: grabbing frat house
2%
At school
No votes
I'm nomadic
2%

Total votes: 42
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Tarspin wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:38 am New joint has a pool, and we don't take posession until the last week of October. We asked about closing the pool because nights are starting to get pretty cold and we might see some frost before we get in there. The answer we got back from the current owners through our realtor:

"It is our preference to have the new owners close the pool, for liability sake".

Hmm, WhAt shOuLd I DO?

Option A:
Fork out the $300 and get a guy to close it, making careful notes on what is being done and if there are any deficiencies that might come to light.

Option B:
Insist the current owners to close the pool since everyone I talked to who has one in this region has already closed theirs.

There are pros and cons to both options but I don't know what they all may be.

Does DFD have any insights to the dilemma? Am I :wrong: ? Did I make the :wasteful: move because I bought a place with a pool?
Are current owners holding liability of any issues with freezing and the pool remaining open until new owners take possession?
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Tarspin wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:38 am New joint has a pool, and we don't take posession until the last week of October. We asked about closing the pool because nights are starting to get pretty cold and we might see some frost before we get in there. The answer we got back from the current owners through our realtor:

"It is our preference to have the new owners close the pool, for liability sake".

Hmm, WhAt shOuLd I DO?

Option A:
Fork out the $300 and get a guy to close it, making careful notes on what is being done and if there are any deficiencies that might come to light.

Option B:
Insist the current owners to close the pool since everyone I talked to who has one in this region has already closed theirs.

Does DFD have any insights to the dilemma? Am I :wrong: ? Did I make the :wasteful: move because I bought a place with a pool?
The issues comes to reason for taking/delaying possession. Ive always had a very clear cut "here are keys, its your issue now" approach to buying AND selling. This should be spelled out clearly if both parties are mutally benefiting from the delay of taking possession.

When does it come to your liability on insurance? If they are still liable for the house and are living in it, they are liable for basic upkeep and preventative winterizing. I am also clueless on "closing in the pool". I figured up there you'd have a permanent cover made to fit the pool and would install it when it got cold. Do they really have a new cover made every year??
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

dubshow wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:14 am

Hmm, WhAt shOuLd I DO?

Option A:

Option B:

The issues comes to reason for taking/delaying possession. Ive always had a very clear cut "here are keys, its your issue now" approach to buying AND selling. This should be spelled out clearly if both parties are mutally benefiting from the delay of taking possession.

When does it come to your liability on insurance? If they are still liable for the house and are living in it, they are liable for basic upkeep and preventative winterizing. I am also clueless on "closing in the pool". I figured up there you'd have a permanent cover made to fit the pool and would install it when it got cold. Do they really have a new cover made every year??
I think there are chemicals to add and things as well as just covering, to stabilize and prevent freezing.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Hmm, WhAt shOuLd I DO?

Option A:

Option B:

In your climate? Get them to do it. Closing is in late October....

It's.
Not.
Your.
House.
Yet.
brain go brrrrrr
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Fax is right, the owners are just being cheap. They're liable for any repairs and upkeep until the date of possession. The only reason they suggest we close the pool is so that we know that there's nothing wrong with the pool at the time of closing.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I think the total cost for closing a pool is $300 they drain the majority of the water and blow out all the pipes so that nothing freezes inside them. All the filters are drained as while I guess, and yeah some sort of chemicals are added.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

All the people I talked to with pools have already closed them. I don't think the owners of the house are going to close that pool at all, so I guess I'm closing it on the last week of October. Bunch of fucking idiots
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Tarspin wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:47 pm All the people I talked to with pools have already closed them. I don't think the owners of the house are going to close that pool at all, so I guess I'm closing it on the last week of October. Bunch of fucking idiots
If it freezes before you take possession of it they will be very much liable. I'd have your agent clarify that with their agent.

The chance of it going full freeze mode is also very low as long as the water is circulated this early in the year. The house must stay in the condition from when you put a contract on it, though. Thats the entire point of a final walk through before keys are handed over.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

dubshow wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:08 pm
Tarspin wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:47 pm All the people I talked to with pools have already closed them. I don't think the owners of the house are going to close that pool at all, so I guess I'm closing it on the last week of October. Bunch of fucking idiots
If it freezes before you take possession of it they will be very much liable. I'd have your agent clarify that with their agent.

The chance of it going full freeze mode is also very low as long as the water is circulated this early in the year. The house must stay in the condition from when you put a contract on it, though. Thats the entire point of a final walk through before keys are handed over.
Yeah you're totally right man, I'm just going to leave it alone and close the pool myself on the very first day I take possession. If the pool guy sees anything that's fucked up I'll have them document it clearly wish I can later use in court. With the water circulating there probably won't be any issues. We might get frost but not a deep freeze for at least another month.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Tarspin wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:16 pm

Yeah you're totally right man, I'm just going to leave it alone and close the pool myself on the very first day I take possession. If the pool guy sees anything that's fucked up I'll have them document it clearly wish I can later use in court. With the water circulating there probably won't be any issues. We might get frost but not a deep freeze for at least another month.
You'd think with a $1.3 FUCKING MILLION dollhair house people could manage to do the right thing and spend $300 to properly prep house.

I spent like $600 replacing and repairing some rotted soffit to do it the right way on a $240k house....
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

:dat:

I'd advise my agent to advise their agent that if a freeze damages the pool you won't be getting quotes from the cheap guy in town.
brain go brrrrrr
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

dubshow wrote:
Tarspin wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:16 pm Yeah you're totally right man, I'm just going to leave it alone and close the pool myself on the very first day I take possession. If the pool guy sees anything that's fucked up I'll have them document it clearly wish I can later use in court. With the water circulating there probably won't be any issues. We might get frost but not a deep freeze for at least another month.
You'd think with a $1.3 FUCKING MILLION dollhair house people could manage to do the right thing and spend $300 to properly prep house.

I spent like $600 replacing and repairing some rotted soffit to do it the right way on a $240k house....
You don't get rich by doing the right thing.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

dubshow wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:20 pm
Tarspin wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:16 pm

Right, on my house I've replaced the kitchen faucet and a window crank mechanism and I'm sanding and painting the ceiling in the basement where the dishwasher leaked a fee yrs back, as well as purging out the sprinkler system for the new owners. I plan to walk them through all of the nuances of the house if they want me to.

These guys are trash.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:21 pm

:dat:

I'd advise my agent to advise their agent that if a freeze damages the pool you won't be getting quotes from the cheap guy in town.
Done, good advise.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:23 pm
dubshow wrote:

:mahman: :mahtroy:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

dubshow wrote:

:lolol: :mahtroy:
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

dubshow wrote:

:mahman:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Crazy shit, boys and girls, we're relocating to the 'burbs. It's been a stupid stressful couple weeks deciding what to do, but the house we picked is the best compromise we could make (I think) given everything going on in our lives. Soon to be 3 kids with 3 kids' worth of daycare expenses and 529 plan savings meant our budget was slashed significantly, and this place is only about $40k more than we think our place will sell for, but with an extra bedroom, an additional 1,200 sq ft of space above ground plus a partially finished basement, a real (3 car!) garage, a nice outdoor space and a bigger yard.

:pouroneout:
Apex
Drives: Abominable

coogles wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:16 am Crazy shit, boys and girls, we're relocating to the 'burbs. It's been a stupid stressful couple weeks deciding what to do, but the house we picked is the best compromise we could make (I think) given everything going on in our lives. Soon to be 3 kids with 3 kids' worth of daycare expenses and 529 plan savings meant our budget was slashed significantly, and this place is only about $40k more than we think our place will sell for, but with an extra bedroom, an additional 1,200 sq ft of space above ground plus a partially finished basement, a real (3 car!) garage, a nice outdoor space and a bigger yard.

:notbad:
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

coogles wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:16 am Crazy shit, boys and girls, we're relocating to the 'burbs. It's been a stupid stressful couple weeks deciding what to do, but the house we picked is the best compromise we could make (I think) given everything going on in our lives. Soon to be 3 kids with 3 kids' worth of daycare expenses and 529 plan savings meant our budget was slashed significantly, and this place is only about $40k more than we think our place will sell for, but with an extra bedroom, an additional 1,200 sq ft of space above ground plus a partially finished basement, a real (3 car!) garage, a nice outdoor space and a bigger yard.

I commend you for being able to afford time to sleep.

Congrats!
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:53 am I commend you for being able to afford time to sleep.

Congrats!
Thanks! There have definitely been a few times I've caught myself lying awake at night wondering :wtf: we're doing. But that's life, you :dealwithit: and make the best of a situation.
wap

:ohmy:

Good luck with everything you're facing! :lol:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

:ohdang:

Interesting! Link to house? I like looking at this stuff.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:14 pm :ohdang:

https://www.talktotucker.com/homes/1071 ... 037/306351

I feel like we overpaid by $10k given the other home values in the neighborhood, but for the life of us we could not find anything we liked anywhere near as much for even close to the $400k we got it for. It's probably fair, though, they started at $430k and our initial offer was $380k, so I shouldn't be too upset about what we're paying according to my in-laws, who are both realtors. The :haus: is traditional, without the crazy :wasteful: 2-story great rooms and cat-walks and fake mcmansion bullshit, which, for us as fans of older houses is perfect.

We do plan to come back to our current neighborhood eventually, but because this place is juuuuuust over the county line in the good school districts, it means we won't need to be in any rush to come back because our daycare expenses are turning into even more expensive private school tuition bills. We plan to sock away money for the next 5-7 years and come back, hopefully.
wap

coogles wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:23 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:14 pm :ohdang:

https://www.talktotucker.com/homes/1071 ... 037/306351

I feel like we overpaid by $10k given the other home values in the neighborhood, but for the life of us we could not find anything we liked anywhere near as much for even close to the $400k we got it for. It's probably fair, though, they started at $430k and our initial offer was $380k, so I shouldn't be too upset about what we're paying according to my in-laws, who are both realtors. The :haus: is traditional, without the crazy :wasteful: 2-story great rooms and cat-walks and fake mcmansion bullshit, which, for us as fans of older houses is perfect.

We do plan to come back to our current neighborhood eventually, but because this place is juuuuuust over the county line in the good school districts, it means we won't need to be in any rush to come back because our daycare expenses are turning into even more expensive private school tuition bills. We plan to sock away money for the next 5-7 years and come back, hopefully.
:notbad: :haus: :like: