Home chat 1.0

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!

How do you house, brah?

Own it
67%
Rent it
19%
:crang: in mom's basement
10%
:dong: grabbing frat house
2%
At school
No votes
I'm nomadic
2%

Total votes: 42
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

dubshow wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:55 am The wife brought up hypothetical of building our own custom house and how she could have a true home office (separate structure) to see people.

i was caught far off guard. said id rather pay this thing off before dreaming of another damn :haus: I dont plan moving for another 5 years at a minimum. Even 10 years out, property will be so expensive... to have a lot large enough, spacious, to have the garage, house and a small detached office.
My wife wants to do this as well, to get just what "we" want.

Everytime we look into it though, building becomes pretty complicated and expensive fast.

:notsure: I want to get into that if I'm being honest.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

dubshow wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:55 am The wife brought up hypothetical of building our own custom house and how she could have a true home office (separate structure) to see people.

i was caught far off guard. said id rather pay this thing off before dreaming of another damn :haus: I dont plan moving for another 5 years at a minimum. Even 10 years out, property will be so expensive... to have a lot large enough, spacious, to have the garage, house and a small detached office.
Um it's a little late for that dear.
brain go brrrrrr
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

[user not found] wrote:The Corning house economy blows my mind. Seemingly decent places for mad cheap, is the area that depressed in terms of jobs?

MAGA/KAG 2020, though?
It's not mad cheap with taxes and zero appreciation. NYC proper is cheaper.

In this area you're either a doctor or you work for Corning, Inc. if you have any money. Everyone else is poor. Corning, Inc. has a stranglehold on the region, they pay no taxes and get huge subsidies because they are the only real employer in the area... but they're also a big reason that individuals have insane tax burdens. Between them and NYC sucking funding from the state this place is permanently fucked.

Not to mention the whole 8 months of winter thing and being 4 hours from any real city/airport.
troyguitar

Corning, Inc was on Bernie's list of the top 10 tax evaders in his 2016 campaign. It's a serious problem, they are a legalized bully effectively charging protection money from everyone here for keeping the town on life support. Sad! indeed.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

[user not found] wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:09 pm

She wants her patients to know where she lives?
She would screen heavily and become more selective.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Woot woot! Bought a house, sold a house!
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Tarspin wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:59 pm Woot woot! Bought a house, sold a house!
:nice:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Apex wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:07 pm
Tarspin wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:59 pm Woot woot! Bought a house, sold a house!
Feels good dude, it was pretty crazy though. Market here is solid right now and getting better.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Tarspin wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:58 pm
Apex wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:07 pm

Feels good dude, it was pretty crazy though. Market here is solid right now and getting better.
Glad it’s working for ya, our frozen Canadian friend!
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

:fuckyeah: Grats!
Deets on new :haus:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

Not sure if this fits better here, or just in OT, but I’m sticking it here.

Michelle will be moving out at the end of the month, early next month. Lease on our place isn’t up until Jan 26 or something. To me it doesn’t make sense to break the lease since it winds up costing about 3 months worth of rent. Going to fill the second bedroom with a roommate to split the lease for the remainder of the term and then we can decide where to go from there and resign together if we mesh well or go separate ways if we don’t.

Posted up an ad on CL two weeks ago and got a few hits but nothing solid. Finally got some more hits late last week with a few people wanting to come by to see it.

Dude one came last Thursday. Seemed to like the place, just moved here from Florida, had a few others he was scheduled to see. Haven’t heard from him since he came by though, so guessing he liked another place more.

Dude two came by yesterday at 3. IT dude living up in Del Mar, but just took a job across the street from where I work and wants to move closer to work. Nice enough guy, quiet, wanted to measure the room to make sure he’d be able to set up a desk for gaming in there. Doesn’t cook much, prefers the convenience of Freshly or whatever. Would probably be a solid roommate as someone who will just keep to themselves and let me do my thing. He asked for an application before he left, and everything seems good. But then last night he calls wanting to negotiate the price saying it seems high. Rent for the unit is $2300 and I listed it in the add as being split it 50/50. I’m in the master bedroom which is larger, but the smaller room still has a private, though unattached, bathroom and has a private patio off the back of the room. Told him we could talk about swing the rent a bit to where I’m paying more, but I’m not sure how much of a discount he’s going to ask for. $1150 for the size of the room and the amenities this place has is actually pretty good for the neighborhood. Last time I moved out I looked at renting just a room and tiny rooms in places with no ac, garage, or washer/dryer were all running about $1000/month.

Girldude three saw the apartment yesterday via FaceTime. Vietnamese immigrant, electrical engineer, :gay: . Seems nice, also has a cat she’d bring down, so it’d be cool for Jag to have a buddy. She’s relocating for a new job, coming down from Portland. Girlfriend/partner is staying up there and she anticipates heading up there a few weekends a month to see her. Also asked for an application and already filled it out and sent it to me and the PM company. Probably going to go with her since she showed the most initiative, I like living with women, and relocating to a new state on short notice is a pain in the dick (clit?) and this will be easy for her. Will be nice having the place to myself on weekends too.

Now dude four. The shitshow. Calls me yesterday morning. Asks to come see the place right away, him and his girl or two years are splitting up and he needs a place to go. Tell him I’m in the same boat, my girl is moving out, that’s why the room is open, blah blah. Starts crying on the phone, which whatever it sounds like the break up just happened, I understand getting emotional. But then he’s thinking we’re gonna be best bro’s and use the similar experience as some bonding shit. I was driving home from Costco at the time 10:30AM, told him he could come by then but that I was leaving for the gym at 12. He calls me like 39 minutes later asking about what the PM company’s income verification was like. Told him I think just 3x the monthly rent between us and he’d just need to show paystubs or a W2 etc. “I don’t get pay stubs, but I make plenty of money.”... red flag 1. Then is asking about bringing his dog so it can meet Jag and make sure they’re cool. Apparently a youngish boxer. I don’t love the idea of having a dog in the house again, but at least this one is have no responsibility for. He finally calls me again at 11:50 (red flag 2, you know I’m leaving at noon and you’ve had an hour and a half to get here) saying he just pulled up is gonna finish his cigarette (red flag 3) real quick while he waits for me to get the gate. As soon as I open the gate, I see a black MKV GTI speeding off leaving our driveway. I stand there for a second, then walk inside, writing him off in my mind. He calls me a minute later saying he realized he left his dog in outside in his front yard area when he was supposed to put him in the car to come meet the cat, red flag 4 get your shot together bro it’s not like you rushed to come over here. For whatever reason I tell him he can come by after the gym before the 3:00 appointment I have with dude two. Tell him I’ll be home from the gym around 1:30. 1:30 home and text him telling him he can come then. Don’t hear anything until 2:30 saying he’s gonna head over from ocean beach.. that’s a good 20 minute drive if there’s any traffic which puts him there right before the guy who actually has and confirmed an appointment. Tell him nope, don’t bother. He calls me later asking me not to rent it out before he gets a chance to see it this week then asked if I’m “herb friendly” and tells me about his “glass collection”. It’s no secret that I enjoy some weed to help me smoke, but I only use vapes because I don’t want a mess or the smell. Not interested in living with someone who owns and used enough bongs to call them s collection. Fuck this dude was annoying to deal with.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

SAWCE wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:02 am Not sure if this fits better here, or just in OT, but I’m sticking it here.

Michelle will be moving out at the end of the month, early next month. Lease on our place isn’t up until Jan 26 or something. To me it doesn’t make sense to break the lease since it winds up costing about 3 months worth of rent. Going to fill the second bedroom with a roommate to split the lease for the remainder of the term and then we can decide where to go from there and resign together if we mesh well or go separate ways if we don’t.

Posted up an ad on CL two weeks ago and got a few hits but nothing solid. Finally got some more hits late last week with a few people wanting to come by to see it.

Dude one came last Thursday. Seemed to like the place, just moved here from Florida, had a few others he was scheduled to see. Haven’t heard from him since he came by though, so guessing he liked another place more.

Dude two came by yesterday at 3. IT dude living up in Del Mar, but just took a job across the street from where I work and wants to move closer to work. Nice enough guy, quiet, wanted to measure the room to make sure he’d be able to set up a desk for gaming in there. Doesn’t cook much, prefers the convenience of Freshly or whatever. Would probably be a solid roommate as someone who will just keep to themselves and let me do my thing. He asked for an application before he left, and everything seems good. But then last night he calls wanting to negotiate the price saying it seems high. Rent for the unit is $2300 and I listed it in the add as being split it 50/50. I’m in the master bedroom which is larger, but the smaller room still has a private, though unattached, bathroom and has a private patio off the back of the room. Told him we could talk about swing the rent a bit to where I’m paying more, but I’m not sure how much of a discount he’s going to ask for. $1150 for the size of the room and the amenities this place has is actually pretty good for the neighborhood. Last time I moved out I looked at renting just a room and tiny rooms in places with no ac, garage, or washer/dryer were all running about $1000/month.

Girldude three saw the apartment yesterday via FaceTime. Vietnamese immigrant, electrical engineer, :gay: . Seems nice, also has a cat she’d bring down, so it’d be cool for Jag to have a buddy. She’s relocating for a new job, coming down from Portland. Girlfriend/partner is staying up there and she anticipates heading up there a few weekends a month to see her. Also asked for an application and already filled it out and sent it to me and the PM company. Probably going to go with her since she showed the most initiative, I like living with women, and relocating to a new state on short notice is a pain in the dick (clit?) and this will be easy for her. Will be nice having the place to myself on weekends too.

Now dude four. The shitshow. Calls me yesterday morning. Asks to come see the place right away, him and his girl or two years are splitting up and he needs a place to go. Tell him I’m in the same boat, my girl is moving out, that’s why the room is open, blah blah. Starts crying on the phone, which whatever it sounds like the break up just happened, I understand getting emotional. But then he’s thinking we’re gonna be best bro’s and use the similar experience as some bonding shit. I was driving home from Costco at the time 10:30AM, told him he could come by then but that I was leaving for the gym at 12. He calls me like 39 minutes later asking about what the PM company’s income verification was like. Told him I think just 3x the monthly rent between us and he’d just need to show paystubs or a W2 etc. “I don’t get pay stubs, but I make plenty of money.”... red flag 1. Then is asking about bringing his dog so it can meet Jag and make sure they’re cool. Apparently a youngish boxer. I don’t love the idea of having a dog in the house again, but at least this one is have no responsibility for. He finally calls me again at 11:50 (red flag 2, you know I’m leaving at noon and you’ve had an hour and a half to get here) saying he just pulled up is gonna finish his cigarette (red flag 3) real quick while he waits for me to get the gate. As soon as I open the gate, I see a black MKV GTI speeding off leaving our driveway. I stand there for a second, then walk inside, writing him off in my mind. He calls me a minute later saying he realized he left his dog in outside in his front yard area when he was supposed to put him in the car to come meet the cat, red flag 4 get your shot together bro it’s not like you rushed to come over here. For whatever reason I tell him he can come by after the gym before the 3:00 appointment I have with dude two. Tell him I’ll be home from the gym around 1:30. 1:30 home and text him telling him he can come then. Don’t hear anything until 2:30 saying he’s gonna head over from ocean beach.. that’s a good 20 minute drive if there’s any traffic which puts him there right before the guy who actually has and confirmed an appointment. Tell him nope, don’t bother. He calls me later asking me not to rent it out before he gets a chance to see it this week then asked if I’m “herb friendly” and tells me about his “glass collection”. It’s no secret that I enjoy some weed to help me smoke, but I only use vapes because I don’t want a mess or the smell. Not interested in living with someone who owns and used enough bongs to call them s collection. Fuck this dude was annoying to deal with.
Woa, that last dude is a major :nope: Couldn't imagine living with someone like that. :hellno:

Girldude could end up being the most :notbad: of the lot. At least you're getting hit up for the spot, you'll find someone good.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
SAWCE

Detroit wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:28 am
SAWCE wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:02 am Not sure if this fits better here, or just in OT, but I’m sticking it here.

Woa, that last dude is a major :nope: Couldn't imagine living with someone like that. :hellno:

Girldude could end up being the most :notbad: of the lot. At least you're getting hit up for the spot, you'll find someone good.
Yeah last dude is 100% a nope. I’m actually regretting that he even has my address at all.

I think girldude is the way to go. She’s a little older than me, doesn’t party, won’t know anyone out here so won’t have people over. Likes music, and reading. Won’t be perceived as a threat by girls I date in the future since she’s of the :gay: and I wasn’t even sure what gender she was until she said she’s a lesbian :lolol: Showed me her place up there a bit while we FaceTimed and it was clean, so hoping that translates to her helping keep this place clean. Only reservation is that her cat has long fur, but as long as she’s good about cleaning that up too it should be a non-issue.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:02 pm
That escalated quickly. :impressive:
Within a couple of weeks had sixty showings, and when the first offer came in my :haus: :dillerman: managed to wrangle in a second buyer at 50k higher then the first offer. It was magic. Really glad to get that SOLD sign up.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Tarspin wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:19 pm
[user not found] wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:02 pm

That escalated quickly. :impressive:
Within a couple of weeks had sixty showings, and when the first offer came in my :haus: :dillerman: managed to wrangle in a second buyer at 50k higher then the first offer. It was magic. Really glad to get that SOLD sign up.
:impressive: AF sir. Glad the market is so strong.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

dubshow wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:23 pm
Tarspin wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:19 pm

:impressive: AF sir. Glad the market is so strong.
50k below ask but that's :goodenough: considering we were probably 25k over priced. I was getting scared since my wife wanted to buy first to ensure that we cod secure the school district and child care. :crotchfruit: , :rolleyes: , I played along and was facing the risk of. It selling in time. I literally was shitting bricks for the last three weeks as there was nobody coming to the table to bid on the house until two showed up at the same time. I think my agent called every single showing after the first (lowball) offer showed up. This guy knows how how shake things up. He also knew my bottom line and our buyer offered exactly zero pennies above that line. It really was a take it or leave it situation, so we took it. I could finally breathe again! There are very few real buyers in this price range.

Total sale went for 1.15M, we spent 125k on renos over eight years, and buy in was 660k initially. Basically crushed it with a 350k profit excluding expenses like bills and interest payments which weren't too bad.

The area we are moving too is way better and has a higher potential for solid resale. We are both really happy with the outcome.

I know you were asking me about interest rates, and we talked about the fact that we can only lock in for 5 yrs at a time. I'm carrying a not for 200k and will need to decide between fixed or variable. The fixed rate for a five year commitment is 2.74, not sure what variable is but there is a lot of news about rates going down as the US is driving theirs down which usually steers us. Not sure if I should go with a fixed of 2.5 to 2.75 and pay down as much as possible over five years or roll the dice with a variable which is likely a similar rate. Checking into the actual amount.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Most relaxed I've felt in a month.
troyguitar

We need to find 2 jobs in a real fucking city. That is insane. Holy fuck.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:09 pm We need to find 2 jobs in a real fucking city. That is insane. Holy fuck.
My buddy has been out of the market intentionally waiting for a downturn since 2010. He has since given up altogether. I thi k it's worth the hassle if the market is right., which means the right city and the right era.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

VC or :gtfo: Thanks for the read on the last guy.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
SAWCE

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:43 pm

VC is Vietnamese Chick?
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:56 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:43 pm

VC is Vietnamese Chick?
Yes. You can throw in an additional political affiliation if you like.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
SAWCE

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:08 pm
SAWCE wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:56 pm

VC is Vietnamese Chick?
Yeah I’m going with VC. She already sent in her application and I started the change of occupancy forms for Michelle and I to fill out then I’ll scan them over to her tomorrow for her signature. Timing works out well because Michelle’s new place is vacating today, and PM company doesn’t know how long they’ll need to turn it around and get it ready for her. VC wants to move in on 9/16, so that gives Michelle the buffer she needs.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:21 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:08 pm

Yeah I’m going with VC. She already sent in her application and I started the change of occupancy forms for Michelle and I to fill out then I’ll scan them over to her tomorrow for her signature. Timing works out well because Michelle’s new place is vacating today, and PM company doesn’t know how long they’ll need to turn it around and get it ready for her. VC wants to move in on 9/16, so that gives Michelle the buffer she needs.
Plus extra black pajamas, she can show you guerilla tactics, good in a firefight.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Tarspin wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:37 pm
troyguitar wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:09 pm We need to find 2 jobs in a real fucking city. That is insane. Holy fuck.
My buddy has been out of the market intentionally waiting for a downturn since 2010. He has since given up altogether. I thi k it's worth the hassle if the market is right., which means the right city and the right era.
He missed major opportunities then. Buying in 2010-2014 and selling now was probably one of the best real estate "investments" someone could make maybe for the next decade. Now's the time to get into a "forever" home and ride out the next 5-10 years.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.