Home chat 1.0

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!

How do you house, brah?

Own it
67%
Rent it
19%
:crang: in mom's basement
10%
:dong: grabbing frat house
2%
At school
No votes
I'm nomadic
2%

Total votes: 42
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

SAWCE wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:13 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:36 pm

I am confuse on the situation. Need to talk to her dad about the arrangement.
Right now, I pay her rent, she pays her dad a "mortgage" of which some part is "interest".
Yeah they should be taking some of that off the sale price as a "lease to own" type deal... Especially with the short comings that that place seems to have...
They are, technically. I just don’t think their math makes sense.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Apex wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:55 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:52 pm Lots of :notsure: on my housing sitch at the moment. Her parents want us to buy the house from them at market value. Which doesn't make sense to either of us. So we might be van shopping.
:fuckyeah: In4deets
:iswydt:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

Irish wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:08 pm
wap wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:23 pm

Dat's no bueno. Can you move the dryer, maybe near a window to vent through it as mentioned above?
:yesth: I'm not looking forward to the werk but I have determined that I can relocate it through the side of the :haus:
:nice:
It'll be for the best.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

wap wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:05 pm
Apex wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:55 pm

:fuckyeah: In4deets
:iswydt:
:zing:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:36 am
Irish wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:01 pm

In other words.....

:trollface:
So much shit down here. Here is a small list of some of the crap my friends and I have come across with home construction.

-Knob and tube jumpered underneath a tub with stranded wire electrical taped to the knob and tube. Literally the way k&t houses burn down.
-A stack of bricks, not even mortared, behind a wall, holding up a floor joist.
-A door leading to the neighboring rowhome walled over. Like, we demo'd the wall and found a fucking door, lol. Opened it up and saw drywall. :yikes:
-My dryer vent goes through the basement window NFG. Removed the glass, replaced with plexiglass, cut a hole and ran the duct.
-2 natural draft and 1 forced draft natural gas equipment exhaust tied to the same chimney :yikes:
-Pretty sure the ceiling fan in my bedroom crosses two electrical circuits, I flipped the breaker which killed the fan, started to remove the fan, and got shocked, haha.
-Found a full well in a basement. Like, a stone pit with seemingly no bottom and a bucket on a rope. This was in a house that was listed for IIRC $450k and needed to be fully torn down.

Plus a bunch of other stuff I saw while looking at homes. It's insanity.
And?
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:52 pm Lots of :notsure: on my housing sitch at the moment. Her parents want us to buy the house from them at market value. Which doesn't make sense to either of us. So we might be house shopping.
Fuck that and great news. Get a keg and some good friends, call it a wedding and spend the rest on an abode?
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Irish wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:39 pm
wap wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:41 pm

This is super common here. I think every house I ever lived in had a dryer vent that was configured this way, including my current one. Sometimes the glass pane is replaced by plexiglass, and sometimes it's a piece of galvanized steel or aluminum, like my house.
In my current house the builder ran the dryer vent from the front of the house to the back...... it takes two full spins to dry anything and relocating it is going to be very very difficult because of the floor joists.
Stop right there. You have to run your dryer on two cycles just to do shit? FUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK that. Because the dryer vent is clogged or are you saying the distance creates backpressure of sorts?
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Irish wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:03 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:40 pm

Relocate the dryer. My washing machine is in the middle of the basement dryer is on the back wall.
I've considered it.......but Wife unit will be :rolleyes: :sass: :triggered: but I guess I will just take over laundry duties ..... :baby:
YTHO?
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:15 pm

also not giving you credit for at least the rent you have been paying is also insanity. at the very least.
Right now, I pay her rent, she pays her dad a "mortgage" of which some part is "interest".
:lolol: that's a fucked up situation for sure.
Johnny_P

dubshow wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:47 am

So $600 a month is "interest" and the rest of whatever is paid into the account is buying her more % of the home's original value. Which is fine, makes sense, set up like a bank, I get it.
The way they want to do the transaction, the way I understand it at least, makes the home effectively $40-50k more expensive than if we just bought out their share of the house. Because they want to sell it to us at current market value instead of letting us buy them out of the investment. I think it's because Lisa isn't technically on the deed.
:notsure:
I gotta talk to them about it though. If that's the case, that's fine whatever we'll just start looking at homes.
Last edited by Johnny_P on Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:31 am
dubshow wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:47 am

So $600 a month is "interest" and the rest of whatever is paid into the account is buying her more % of the home's original value.
The way they want to do the transaction, the way I understand it at least, makes the home effectively $40-50k more expensive than if we just bought out their share of the house.
I gotta talk to them about it though. If that's the case, that's fine whatever we'll just start looking at homes.
Thats a dick move to pull on your kid.

If shes just been paying their fee or "interest" on the "loan" I'd walk out and give them the finger with finding a new house you ACTUALLY like.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

dubshow wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:33 am
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:31 am

So $600 a month is "interest" and the rest of whatever is paid into the account is buying her more % of the home's original value.
The way they want to do the transaction, the way I understand it at least, makes the home effectively $40-50k more expensive than if we just bought out their share of the house.

If shes just been paying their fee or "interest" on the "loan" I'd walk out and give them the finger with finding a new house you ACTUALLY like.
:dat:

If they want to cash in on equity appreciation let them cut that 20k check to the fucking agents.

I mean that's the superest dick move to pull on your kid. "hey you been paying the mortgage for me for x years let me sell the house to you at its new higher market value so i can make some cash and let you start over on that 30 year lol #boomerprivilage"

I mean, down south, landlords to even do that shit to off the street fucking strangers. Many rent to own agreements are for the vale of the house on x day, and some percentage of the principal payment gets cut off said value over the years until the renter can secure their own financing.
brain go brrrrrr
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:55 am
Irish wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:39 pm

In my current house the builder ran the dryer vent from the front of the house to the back...... it takes two full spins to dry anything and relocating it is going to be very very difficult because of the floor joists.
Stop right there. You have to run your dryer on two cycles just to do shit? FUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK that. Because the dryer vent is clogged or are you saying the distance creates backpressure of sorts?
Yeah....one of those annoyances that we learned to put up with, but enough is enough....... My brother in law is up from Atlanta and is borrowing a 4 inch hole saw from a buddy in Jersey..... bringing it back here this weekend.......

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:57 am
Irish wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:03 pm

I've considered it.......but Wife unit will be :rolleyes: :sass: :triggered: but I guess I will just take over laundry duties ..... :baby:
YTHO?
Because I :wrong: ly assumed that she would balk at traveling 40 feet from the washer to the dryer...... all moot now.....or will be, once i relocate the vent.....
Johnny_P

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:41 am
dubshow wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:33 am

:dat:

If they want to cash in on equity appreciation let them cut that 20k check to the fucking agents.

I mean that's the superest dick move to pull on your kid. "hey you been paying the mortgage for me for x years let me sell the house to you at its new higher market value so i can make some cash and let you start over on that 30 year lol #boomerprivilage"

I mean, down south, landlords to even do that shit to off the street fucking strangers. Many rent to own agreements are for the vale of the house on x day, and some percentage of the principal payment gets cut off said value over the years until the renter can secure their own financing.
Yeah this is how I feel too. Which is why I have to talk with them. I am wondering if he wasn't thinking through it all or maybe didn't figure out the actual numbers, because it's an unreasonably dick move and they're not like that at all. They've been extremely generous with everything else.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Johnny_P wrote:
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:41 am :dat:

Yeah this is how I feel too. Which is why I have to talk with them. I am wondering if he wasn't thinking through it all or maybe didn't figure out the actual numbers, because it's an unreasonably dick move and they're not like that at all. They've been extremely generous with everything else.
They probably just don't understand :math: - most people don't.
Johnny_P

Irish wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:36 am
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:55 am

Yeah....one of those annoyances that we learned to put up with, but enough is enough....... My brother in law is up from Atlanta and is borrowing a 4 inch hole saw from a buddy in Jersey..... bringing it back here this weekend.......

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:57 am

YTHO?
Because I :wrong: ly assumed that she would balk at traveling 40 feet from the washer to the dryer...... all moot now.....or will be, once i relocate the vent.....
Wood sided house? Just drill through that shit NFG. Brick takes more work, which is why I did the 'ol South Philly Special with the basement window :hubba:
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:27 pm
Johnny_P wrote:
They probably just don't understand :math: - most people don't.
Her dad is an actuary. He knows :math:
I am thinking he didn't sit down and run through the numbers.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Fuck man. Wife and I found the perfect haus and it went pending within hours. We have kind of a long list of requirements and this was the first one that met each and every one, but this market is :ludacris:
Irish

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:27 pm
Irish wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:36 am

Wood sided house? Just drill through that shit NFG. Brick takes more work, which is why I did the 'ol South Philly Special with the basement window :hubba:
I actually considered going through the window but I am trying to not have to move the 220v outlet. And the window is still 20 feet away from the washer and its drain. So, out the side it is.

It's going to be tight work elbowing the the vent in the space I have between the outside of the house and the first floor joist, but I think it can be done.

I am also not looking forward to pulling the vinyl siding.

I've seen :derp: videos where they drill though the siding but I want to do it right. I just home that the siding comes off without damage. I have rotten luck with that sort of thing.
Irish

:dolphin: I'm gonna tackle the Great 2019 Dryer Vent Relocation Fuckeree this weekend.....

may :jesus: have mercy on my sole :dolphin:
wap

Irish wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:42 pm :dolphin: I'm gonna tackle the Great 2019 Dryer Vent Relocation Fuckeree this weekend.....

:gonbgud:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

coogles wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:53 pm Fuck man. Wife and I found the perfect haus and it went pending within hours. We have kind of a long list of requirements and this was the first one that met each and every one, but this market is :ludacris:
Get in with a realtor so you can see houses before they list. That's how we got ours. It's the only way if you have specific requirements. Indeed, this market is :fullretard:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
wap

Detroit wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:54 pm
coogles wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:53 pm Fuck man. Wife and I found the perfect haus and it went pending within hours. We have kind of a long list of requirements and this was the first one that met each and every one, but this market is :ludacris:
Get in with a realtor so you can see houses before they list. That's how we got ours. It's the only way if you have specific requirements. Indeed, this market is :fullretard:
That's how we got our :haus: , too. Got in to see it even before the For Sale sign went up. We already we put an offer on it before the Realtor showing.
Irish

wap wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:52 pm
Irish wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:42 pm :dolphin: I'm gonna tackle the Great 2019 Dryer Vent Relocation Fuckeree this weekend.....

:gonbgud:
Got her done. :amaze: how much better the dryer works...... Mad at myself for not doing the relo sooner..... Bonus: My handy ass brother-in-law cut the time it would have taken in half because I am an overthinker and he is a doer..... 2nd Added bonus: He is a GE repairman so he fixed our icemaker and tore the dryer apart and gave it a deep clean ..... while he was doing the appliances I raised my sump pump up about two inches .... al da work done before lunch..... :fuckyeah:
Irish

Dat glory hole :doe:

Last edited by Irish on Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.