Home chat 1.0

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!

How do you house, brah?

Own it
67%
Rent it
19%
:crang: in mom's basement
10%
:dong: grabbing frat house
2%
At school
No votes
I'm nomadic
2%

Total votes: 42
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: on used bald tires

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 8:00 am They threw in their lawnmower, a ladder big enough to get to the gutters, and a wheelbarrow too.

At settlement the notary guy that was coordinating everything asked them to sign the price escalation clause from our offer. They had no idea it was even there. And she said it didn’t matter anyway “the house was yours.” I guess our heart felt letter helped!
Well thats a feel good story glad it worked for you.

I didn't work for my parents. Some NY transplant democrat shitheads fucked them over on a house to sell it to a flipper for a mere 10k more.

And before i get jumped on for calling 'democrats' 'shitheads', the term is not mutually inclusive. But I found their name when i looked (public records are a great thing) on alllllll the democrat PAC lists, and for fucking over the parentals for a mere 10k (they would have paid mind you given the opportunity) on 500k they are by definition shitheads, so in this specific instance its is accurate.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

golftdibrad1 wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 8:16 am
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 8:00 am They threw in their lawnmower, a ladder big enough to get to the gutters, and a wheelbarrow too.

At settlement the notary guy that was coordinating everything asked them to sign the price escalation clause from our offer. They had no idea it was even there. And she said it didn’t matter anyway “the house was yours.” I guess our heart felt letter helped!

I didn't work for my parents. Some NY transplant democrat shitheads fucked them over on a house to sell it to a flipper for a mere 10k more.

And before i get jumped on for calling 'democrats' 'shitheads', the term is not mutually inclusive. But I found their name when i looked (public records are a great thing) on alllllll the democrat PAC lists, and for fucking over the parentals for a mere 10k (they would have paid mind you given the opportunity) on 500k they are by definition shitheads, so in this specific instance its is accurate.
Your parents were buying a new home in LA?
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 11:26 am

Your parents were buying a new home in LA?
No this was Tennessee sometime in 2021; they were moving here from LA.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:28 pm I'm happy for Brad because nobody jerks it to the Miata harder on this forum and that is the Crown Prince of Miatas.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Someone putting in a higher offer makes them a shithead?

We put in plenty of democrat shithead offers then. We got under bid on two houses because we needed a mortgage and others didn’t. We were $10k higher on at least two and were passed over for the lesser offer.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 11:53 am

We put in plenty of democrat shithead offers then. We got under bid on two houses because we needed a mortgage and others didn’t. We were $10k higher on at least two and were passed over for the lesser offer.
No sorry you misunderstand; I'm calling the sellers the shithead in my situation.
Johnny_P

golftdibrad1 wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 12:43 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 11:53 am

No sorry you misunderstand; I'm calling the sellers the shithead in my situation.
Ah. Well hard to fault someone for taking a higher number. Most / many would do the same regardless of political affiliation.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 1:41 pm
golftdibrad1 wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 12:43 pm

Ah. Well hard to fault someone for taking a higher number. Most / many would do the same regardless of political affiliation.
it is when its a letter of people begging for your house at a fair price over ask and a flipper comes in just above that cutting you out at the last minute; when the agents have discussed competing offers and said the house is basically yours. Selling out your word for such a small amount on a large one says alot about the type of person you must be. Also, probably agent fuckery, again I looked it up and sellers agent sold to flipper buddy and they have lots of business entanglements. Too hard to prove in court tho.

And personally, I have not taken the highest offer, on the BR house. The lady wrote us a nice letter, and had slam dunk financing, and sure the offer over as was only like 3-4k over.

But anyway, I'm glad your letter worked and your sellers didn't know what the definition of 'escalation' is. Pay it forward when you sell your philly shitbox.

Or be a shithead like the above reference people and sell it to a flipper for 10k more over someone in need, so the flipper can sell it for 200k more and box more people out of housing market, instead of a nice family that needs it. Or for maximum shithead points, sell it to blackrock so they can drive more people into the renter wage slave class.
Johnny_P

golftdibrad1 wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 2:08 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 1:41 pm

it is when its a letter of people begging for your house at a fair price over ask and a flipper comes in just above that cutting you out at the last minute; when the agents have discussed competing offers and said the house is basically yours. Selling out your word for such a small amount on a large one says alot about the type of person you must be. Also, probably agent fuckery, again I looked it up and sellers agent sold to flipper buddy and they have lots of business entanglements. Too hard to prove in court tho.

And personally, I have not taken the highest offer, on the BR house. The lady wrote us a nice letter, and had slam dunk financing, and sure the offer over as was only like 3-4k over.

But anyway, I'm glad your letter worked and your sellers didn't know what the definition of 'escalation' is. Pay it forward when you sell your philly shitbox.

Or be a shithead like the above reference people and sell it to a flipper for 10k more over someone in need, so the flipper can sell it for 200k more and box more people out of housing market, instead of a nice family that needs it. Or for maximum shithead points, sell it to blackrock so they can drive more people into the renter wage slave class.
A last second change like that blows. We might intentionally try to find buyers that can’t do an all cash offer. Because none of this is fair to an average person.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 3:50 pm
A last second change like that blows. We might intentionally try to find buyers that can’t do an all cash offer. Because none of this is fair to an average person.
you gotta look out for your family on the money side too, but if the differences are cents on the dollar and cash vs real people financing, side with the people every time. good for you.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 3:50 pm
golftdibrad1 wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 2:08 pm

It's quite fucked to be honest. It's the same here man, I really don't get how people are still buying homes at this rate with interest rates at 8% and prices insane. I truly feel for people who hadn't bought/owned any type of home prior to 2020. Without that, seems like you need a $200K+ household income to get anything in any place that has jobs.

I hadn't really followed this thread, didn't realize you finally picked up an abode. Congrats man, I know it's been a long, hellacious run. I hope y'all really enjoy it once you get settled in!
Johnny_P

Troubleshooting the water heater exhaust gas issue, I confirmed that it is indeed back drafting combustion gas into the basement any time the house heater turns on. Coming out of the natural draft water heater exhaust pipes. But if the house heater isn’t on and power venting, the chimney pulls a draft.

So it’s either partially blocked or sized incorrectly. Sizing the pipes using National fuel gas code books indicates the exhaust pipes are sized adequately so I think there may be an issue in the chimney. I found a handful of broken bricks and a shitload of dirt in the chimney clean out. But the chimney has a corrugated metal liner running through it so that doesn’t tell me much. Other than there are or were loose bricks in the chimney. So either a bird made a nest in the chimney or there’s a brick that fell and kinked / crushed the liner.

I’ll try blocking off where the water heater exhausts tie into the house heater exhaust. And run the heater and see if it all goes upwards. If that works then it may just be a size thing and I’ll move ahead with a heat pump water heater. If it continues to blow exhaust gas out of the vent pipe joints then the chimney needs to be re lined. This is a life threatening issue so I’m a little nervous about this one.

So that’s the water heater issue. We got the stupid closet in the living room demoed, the stupid island removed and kitchen restored, and found out the support columns were totally half assed so got those replaced and braced correctly. And I fixed a gas leak in the kitchen, the flex pipe for the stove was leaking so that was replaced.

This experience of buying a home has been a disaster all around. And I’m really not looking forward to owning this home.
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:32 pm Troubleshooting the water heater exhaust gas issue, I confirmed that it is indeed back drafting combustion gas into the basement any time the house heater turns on. Coming out of the natural draft water heater exhaust pipes. But if the house heater isn’t on and power venting, the chimney pulls a draft.

So it’s either partially blocked or sized incorrectly. Sizing the pipes using National fuel gas code books indicates the exhaust pipes are sized adequately so I think there may be an issue in the chimney. I found a handful of broken bricks and a shitload of dirt in the chimney clean out. But the chimney has a corrugated metal liner running through it so that doesn’t tell me much. Other than there are or were loose bricks in the chimney. So either a bird made a nest in the chimney or there’s a brick that fell and kinked / crushed the liner.

I’ll try blocking off where the water heater exhausts tie into the house heater exhaust. And run the heater and see if it all goes upwards. If that works then it may just be a size thing and I’ll move ahead with a heat pump water heater. If it continues to blow exhaust gas out of the vent pipe joints then the chimney needs to be re lined. This is a life threatening issue so I’m a little nervous about this one.

So that’s the water heater issue. We got the stupid closet in the living room demoed, the stupid island removed and kitchen restored, and found out the support columns were totally half assed so got those replaced and braced correctly. And I fixed a gas leak in the kitchen, the flex pipe for the stove was leaking so that was replaced.

This experience of buying a home has been a disaster all around. And I’m really not looking forward to owning this home.
cheer up, it will be worth it when the kids are running around the yard with beer in hand while you make a mental checklist of the 1000s of things that can go sideways at any momnet
golftdibrad1
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

this daym fence repair is going to be a pain in the ass. The insurance company "doesn't really have property adjusters"
Johnny_P

Contractor finishes up today. Then I need to mess with the heater this weekend.
Painters come next week.
Move happens in 2 weeks.

It’s all coming together!
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 12:34 pm Contractor finishes up today. Then I need to mess with the heater this weekend.
Painters come next week.
Move happens in 2 weeks.

:zing:
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 12:34 pm Contractor finishes up today. Then I need to mess with the heater this weekend.
Painters come next week.
Move happens in 2 weeks.

What was the contractor doing?
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Johnny_P

wap wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 3:19 pm
Painters come next week.
Move happens in 2 weeks.

Removed a pointless closet in the living room, removed a way-too-big island in the kitchen, properly braced and replaced support columns in the living room and installed columns in basement to hold them
wap

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 4:00 pm
wap wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 3:19 pm

Removed a pointless closet in the living room, removed a way-too-big island in the kitchen, properly braced and replaced support columns in the living room and installed columns in basement to hold them
:notbad:

In 4 pics at some point once you're moved in and settled.
Johnny_P

wap wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 5:12 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 4:00 pm

The chimney venting / water heater is the last thing that needs to be fixed before moving in. Then I get to fix the hvac after winter because right after we signed for the house the previous owners said the thermostats are wonky because something on the hvac system is broken. Like… wtf. At that point I no longer gave a shit and just wanted to be rid of the entire process.

But anyway.

Yeah it’s either a tankless gas unit or a heat pump electric unit for the water heater. Neither would use the chimney so that can be dedicated for the house heater. Leaning towards heat pump electric because it will dehumidify the room and I can route the exhaust to cool the 1st floor.
wap

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 8:35 pm
wap wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 5:12 pm

The chimney venting / water heater is the last thing that needs to be fixed before moving in. Then I get to fix the hvac after winter because right after we signed for the house the previous owners said the thermostats are wonky because something on the hvac system is broken. Like… wtf. At that point I no longer gave a shit and just wanted to be rid of the entire process.

But anyway.

Yeah it’s either a tankless gas unit or a heat pump electric unit for the water heater. Neither would use the chimney so that can be dedicated for the house heater. Leaning towards heat pump electric because it will dehumidify the room and I can route the exhaust to cool the 1st floor.
I love the concept of a heat pump water heater, and the dehumidifying aspect is a cool ( :iswydt: ) bonus. Interesting idea to route the exhaust upstairs for cooling. :notbad:
Johnny_P

Yay contractors

SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Jesus.
wap

That's some top notch work right there. :disgust:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

golftdibrad1 wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 4:29 pm this daym fence repair is going to be a pain in the ass. The insurance company "doesn't really have property adjusters"
You should get Amica. Our crappy chain link fence got damaged a little bit with that tree fall. I could’ve fixed with a hammer… well, insurance asked for no pictures, I uploaded a $7700 quote for a full privacy fence and they paid it.

Everyone should get Amica.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 8:59 am Yay contractors

:disappoint: :wtf: