Home chat 1.0

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!

How do you house, brah?

Own it
67%
Rent it
19%
:crang: in mom's basement
10%
:dong: grabbing frat house
2%
At school
No votes
I'm nomadic
2%

Total votes: 42
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Little subtle changes.. few pics for the insta likes and follows....

Last edited by Tar on Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Fucking awesome man. :like:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Fell asleep with the kids and now I'm up snacking and reviewing the staircase and how many hours have gone into is since April 5th.

100 hours, I had about 40% of those hours come from my wife/parents/in-laws Give or take, and at least 12-15 hrs put into recovering from the dropped can of polyurethane stain, glad that stuff mopped up well or I'd be ☠

My new open issues list looks like this I think:

1.) Sand and stain all hand rails (20% completed) - 4hr
2.) Stain two intermediate landings and wooden detail under window (prep is complete) - 1hr
3.) Hand scrape and stain the last 10 treads to the basement - 6hr
4.) Touch up basement risers and stringers after staining - 2hr
5.) Repaint the structural support post and trim work in the basement that got sprinkled accidentally - 1/2hr
6.) Install basement spindles - 1hr
7.) Install all hand rails to the metal rails - 1/2hr
8.) Scrape all polyurethane from basement tiles - 1hr

So 115 hrs all in and about $500 in materials/tools. The $10k quote I got included new :fancy: posts and spindles which are about $3k so the labor portion including my fuck up averages out to $30/hr. Probably would have been closer to $50/hr and 70hrs for a more experienced worker because less time and less mistakes. My time includes the spindle labor, :notsure: if a contractor would even bother, probably have to order new ones realistically.

The light at the end of this tunnel: I'm targeting this to all be done by the end of next weekend.

Very cool project that I've really enjoyed doing, it's my new "skill aquired" throughout the lockdown. If :haus: shit were all caught up I probably would have spent the time learning to play a musical instrument and gone biking a lot more but meh, it needed to get done and my time is currently free.
wap

Very cool.
So what's next after this is done?
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:30 am Very cool.
So what's next after this is done?
:hai:

I think we are all probably going to go back to work but if not then I'm just going to home school the kids/clean around the house and add working out to my lifestyle. Get some :massles:

Thankfully this is kind our only open issue ATM and I promised Nicole we would get it done when time and money allowed for it. Worked out :fuckyeah: and definitely shrank my perspective of how long I've been cooped up.

I'd love another few weeks off this year with great weather, next week is an improvement to low 50*s. Gotta enjoy the start of warmer weather.
wap

:notbad: really. :like:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Finally stained my last tread tonight! For those who never heard of a tread it is the part of the step that your shoe tread contractors lol

Ran low on poly so it will need a second coat but I've been redoing most steps and landings with a second coat.

These things looks le-git...not to say that there aren't a few fuck ups that a discerning eye can see, like some edges getting extra lacquer to make up for shitty scraping/prep work.. but even still, I can overlook it and I'm doing the work.

I have a small(ish) railing along the top level that hasn't even been touched yet, but no steps, and the nosing is like 6 or 7 ft long so its NBD. Will be doing it this weekend.

The only other things to do are touch up the risers and stringers from the 3rd step to the 13th step to the basement, reinstall the basement spindles and reinstall ALL hand rails when they are ready. There are five hand rails ranging from not touched at all to fully sanded. Overall the sanding is about 50% done and staining 0% done. Leading up to this weekend I plan to finish two of the handrails and install.

It's a lot of shit, but generally all doable by even the densest person. Patience is the virtue.
wap

Tarspin wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:35 pm Finally stained my last tread tonight! For those who never heard of a tread it is the part of the step that your shoe tread contractors lol

Ran low on poly so it will need a second coat but I've been redoing most steps and landings with a second coat.

These things looks le-git...not to say that there aren't a few fuck ups that a discerning eye can see, like some edges getting extra lacquer to make up for shitty scraping/prep work.. but even still, I can overlook it and I'm doing the work.

I have a small(ish) railing along the top level that hasn't even been touched yet, but no steps, and the nosing is like 6 or 7 ft long so its NBD. Will be doing it this weekend.

The only other things to do are touch up the risers and stringers from the 3rd step to the 13th step to the basement, reinstall the basement spindles and reinstall ALL hand rails when they are ready. There are five hand rails ranging from not touched at all to fully sanded. Overall the sanding is about 50% done and staining 0% done. Leading up to this weekend I plan to finish two of the handrails and install.

It's a lot of shit, but generally all doable by even the densest person. Patience is the virtue.
Yea I think most people know that, lol. :D

Otherwies, great job! Also, I'd definitely apply at the VERY least 2 coats of poly, and personally I'd do 3 coats on the treads. Stairs get a lot of traffic and the extra protection would be warranted and well worth the little bit of extra effort, imo.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:46 pm
Tarspin wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:35 pm Finally stained my last tread tonight! For those who never heard of a tread it is the part of the step that your shoe tread contractors lol

Otherwies, great job! Also, I'd definitely apply at the VERY least 2 coats of poly, and personally I'd do 3 coats on the treads. Stairs get a lot of traffic and the extra protection would be warranted and well worth the little bit of extra effort, imo.
:D , once again I'm the last one to find this out! I'd do it again in 3/4 of the time..... if I did it again. I kind of hyper analysed it. Still I find it more technical then things like flooring/drywalling etc.

Nice pro tip, I'll go with a third layer where it needs it.
wap

Tarspin wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:58 pm
wap wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:46 pm

:D , once again I'm the last one to find this out! I'd do it again in 3/4 of the time..... if I did it again. I kind of hyper analysed it. Still I find it more technical then things like flooring/drywalling etc.

Nice pro tip, I'll go with a third layer where it needs it.
:like:
In4finalpics
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Ok fellas, getting our California shitbox repainted.

Before:

Pressure washed yesterday.

We are going with a milk chocolate brown and a tangerine door. :jimp: 1984 called and wants the salmon strip on the wall :disgust: returned and we are accommodating that request.

More pics soon.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Sunshine and 3 car garage and perfectly smooth road? Get out of that kommie shithole dude.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 12:02 pm Sunshine and 3 car garage and perfectly smooth road? Get out of that kommie shithole dude.
:like: Nothing special but everything we need and nothing we don't. We think it will look sharp with the new paint.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
troyguitar

Desertbreh wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 12:02 pm Sunshine and 3 car garage and perfectly smooth road? Get out of that kommie shithole dude.
:like: Nothing special but everything we need and nothing we don't. We think it will look sharp with the new paint.
Just add a red door.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 12:30 pm
Desertbreh wrote:
Just add a red door.
ORANGE Brah.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Desertbreh wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 12:40 pm
troyguitar wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 12:30 pm Just add a red door.
ORANGE Brah.
:mahman:

That should look nice!
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

That's a cool looking house! Looking forward to pics or teh new paint job. 👍
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Tarspin wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 1:20 pm That's a cool looking house! Looking forward to pics or teh new paint job. 👍
No architectural features like the gone with the wind staircase or anything but its almost paid for.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

ORANGE Brah.
We painted all the trim on our house a copper orange color. We get comments from people all the time about how good it looks.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 1:35 pm

ORANGE Brah.
We painted all the trim on our house a copper orange color. We get comments from people all the time about how good it looks.
After doing a survey of our neighbor repaints, I am going with NO trim color......the brown looks good against the tile roof.....the white, not so much.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 1:25 pm
Tarspin wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 1:20 pm That's a cool looking house! Looking forward to pics or teh new paint job. 👍
No architectural features like the gone with the wind staircase or anything but its almost paid for.
The triple car garage is :nice: and I like bungalows. I strive for that when my wife kicks me out of ours.
troyguitar

Desertbreh wrote:
ORANGE Brah.
Daytona orange metallic
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 1:38 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 1:35 pm
After doing a survey of our neighbor repaints, I am going with NO trim color......the brown looks good against the tile roof.....the white, not so much.
In4pics of the neighbors house.

Are you getting it done? How much does that service cost?
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Tarspin wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 2:01 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 1:38 pm

In4pics of the neighbors house.

Are you getting it done? How much does that service cost?
$4825 was the bid. It's actually part of the payoff on his bill to me, he and his brothers got over their heads in the cannabis gold rush and I got them out.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 1:58 pm
Desertbreh wrote:
ORANGE Brah.
Daytona orange metallic
The door is "Tangerine Tango".......the house is "Monterrey Brown"