Home chat 1.0

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!

How do you house, brah?

Own it
67%
Rent it
19%
:crang: in mom's basement
10%
:dong: grabbing frat house
2%
At school
No votes
I'm nomadic
2%

Total votes: 42
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

So little update from my new place, I've been enjoying the house for two weeks, and I'm really happy with the renos from start to finish. It brings the house to a whole new level. It's big but not mcmansion, it still has a normal layout and I think it will be pretty conservative short of the pool/hot tub piece. The previous owners did a few things right, like replace all of the windows and I feel like that helps control heat loss pretty well.

Another good move, the gas stove is amazing to cook or even reheat things on, I barely use a toaster oven anymore. It has its drawbacks, this morning I found a burner stil lit on low, and I'm thinking back to when we used it last. I'm hoping that my wife accidentally bumped the knob this morning :smh:

Going to try out the "add image to post" for the first time.... doing my invoicing with a coffee and this setting, feels good to be tackling day to day life tasks and not running my ass off like I was for a month. :fuckyeah:

wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Tarspin wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:50 am So little update from my new place, I've been enjoying the house for two weeks, and I'm really happy with the renos from start to finish. It brings the house to a whole new level. It's big but not mcmansion, it still has a normal layout and I think it will be pretty conservative short of the pool/hot tub piece. The previous owners did a few things right, like replace all of the windows and I feel like that helps control heat loss pretty well.

Another good move, the gas stove is amazing to cook or even reheat things on, I barely use a toaster oven anymore. It has its drawbacks, this morning I found a burner stil lit on low, and I'm thinking back to when we used it last. I'm hoping that my wife accidentally bumped the knob this morning :smh:

Going to try out the "add image to post" for the first time.... doing my invoicing with a coffee and this setting, feels good to be tackling day to day life tasks and not running my ass off like I was for a month. :fuckyeah:

:nice: looking room!
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Feeling like there's a light at the end of the tunnel on this whole move.

Inspection on our current house is tomorrow, appraisal is on Wednesday. We close on the new place on Friday, then on our current house on the 20th. Fingers crossed the inspection doesn't find much (it shouldn't) and that the appraiser is fair. Our realtor is going to provide a couple comps as suggestions, but I don't think the current price should pose a problem.

I'll miss the current house and neighborhood, but I am very much ready to get this all over with.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Tarspin wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:50 am So little update from my new place, I've been enjoying the house for two weeks, and I'm really happy with the renos from start to finish. It brings the house to a whole new level. It's big but not mcmansion, it still has a normal layout and I think it will be pretty conservative short of the pool/hot tub piece. The previous owners did a few things right, like replace all of the windows and I feel like that helps control heat loss pretty well.

Nice views man, looks :fuckyeah: !
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:24 pm I was trying to talk my wife into this one, but she flat out refused due to the climate in the area. :(

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/917- ... 0956_zpid/?
0/7 would not buy unless bear trophy came with.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
wap

coogles wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:50 pm Feeling like there's a light at the end of the tunnel on this whole move.

Inspection on our current house is tomorrow, appraisal is on Wednesday. We close on the new place on Friday, then on our current house on the 20th. Fingers crossed the inspection doesn't find much (it shouldn't) and that the appraiser is fair. Our realtor is going to provide a couple comps as suggestions, but I don't think the current price should pose a problem.

I'll miss the current house and neighborhood, but I am very much ready to get this all over with.
Good luck with the inspection. You're due for some good luck!
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Thanks doods!
Peppering my :knot: for pool ownershit by taking advantage of Cyber Monday :dills: on new a pool pump. I went with a reliable brand and the cheapest smallest simplest product that I could buy on the market :scrooge: . There are a lot of people picking up variable speed pumps but they almost always run them at half speed or more and end up burning through more energy then a smaller speck motor running at full operating speed, and the things cost three times as much money! Such a scam.
I could justify the extra cost but you cant run those things at the lowest "economical" since the flow rate isn't realistic.

My equipment sits out in the elements all year, so moisture probably killed the existing pump after what looks like 5 or 10 yrs of service. After much deliberation and crunching my numbers three times I was set to buy the smallest usable pump made by Pentair (a Commifornia company that builds good quality shit). A 0.75hp single speed WhisperFlo pump with an oversized pump impeller and catch basket. It was going for $549 Canadian delivered and had $75 sitting on the hood.

:popcorn: that I sized it right haha!
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Tarspin wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:29 am A 0.75hp single speed WhisperFlo pump with an oversized pump impeller and catch basket.
my bullshit meter just went off the scale
brain go brrrrrr
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:16 am
Tarspin wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:29 am A 0.75hp single speed WhisperFlo pump with an oversized pump impeller and catch basket.
Talk to the manufacturer, each rpm moves more water because the pump is bigger? :whocares: , it moves 50 gpm at 30-40 feet of head which will turn my pool three almost twice in 8 hrs.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Tarspin wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:26 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:16 am

Talk to the manufacturer, each rpm moves more water because the pump is bigger? :whocares: , it moves 50 gpm at 30-40 feet of head which will turn my pool three almost twice in 8 hrs.

that's kinda how pumps work, pump laws and all. HOWEVER, if efficiency is the goal a bigger impeller is not nessissarly better. The motor running at line speed will run at line speed no matter what (if it's not overloaded) it's all about how many amps it's drawing, and that depends on your pump and system curves.

stated another way: a bigger impeller will give more pressure and flow, but very well may move the pump away from it's best efficiency point of there is too little restriction in the line. you can add a valve to move it back on the curve, but this is wasting energy and therefore electricity. This is why VFDs are a thing...
brain go brrrrrr
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:53 am
Tarspin wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:26 am

that's kinda how pumps work, pump laws and all. HOWEVER, if efficiency is the goal a bigger impeller is not nessissarly better. The motor running at line speed will run at line speed no matter what (if it's not overloaded) it's all about how many amps it's drawing, and that depends on your pump and system curves.

stated another way: a bigger impeller will give more pressure and flow, but very well may move the pump away from it's best efficiency point of there is too little restriction in the line. you can add a valve to move it back on the curve, but this is wasting energy and therefore electricity. This is why VFDs are a thing...
I'm nowhere near max capacity on a smallish 0.75hp pump and it will move water pretty good. I know more load = more energy, thanks tips.

A small 0.5 to 0.75 hp pump running at it's most efficient speed of 3450rpm will burn less power then a 3hp VFD running at 1600 rpm. And guess what, it costs 1/3 the price and they will both die a rusty death in 6 to 10 years. Which one would you buy for your pool?
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Tarspin wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:27 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:53 am

I'm nowhere near max capacity on a smallish 0.75hp pump and it will move water pretty good. I know more load = more energy, thanks tips.

A small 0.5 to 0.75 hp pump running at it's most efficient speed of 3450rpm will burn less power then a 3hp VFD running at 1600 rpm. And guess what, it costs 1/3 the price and they will both die a rusty death in 6 to 10 years. Which one would you buy for your pool?
I know Jack shit about pools, but your logic is very sound.

I'm also surprised that for longevity sake the .75 is not also an 1800 rpm motor
brain go brrrrrr
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:31 am
Tarspin wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:27 am

I'm also surprised that for longevity sake the .75 is not also an 1800 rpm motor
Yeah that's ridiculously high rpm in my mind. I've seen the curves at half speed and power output is really low so the pool companies need big motors to cut down the speeds. I have seen two speed 1.5hp motors which I considered too but settled on this setup. I may build a little shed for the pump or something to weather proof it, and put a rubber pad under the base to lift it off the concrete.

It should be an interesting learning opportunity for me, as for costs I'm at $500 now, will burn through $300 in electricity, heating is natural gas so not sure the price, and salt/chems will likely bring me up to 1k annually. Hopefully no big ticket items for a while.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Tarspin wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:40 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:31 am

Yeah that's ridiculously high rpm in my mind. I've seen the curves at half speed and power output is really low so the pool companies need big motors to cut down the speeds. I have seen two speed 1.5hp motors which I considered too but settled on this setup. I may build a little shed for the pump or something to weather proof it, and put a rubber pad under the base to lift it off the concrete.

It should be an interesting learning opportunity for me, as for costs I'm at $500 now, will burn through $300 in electricity, heating is natural gas so not sure the price, and salt/chems will likely bring me up to 1k annually. Hopefully no big ticket items for a while.
pool heater? like a hot tub?
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

dubshow wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:08 am
Tarspin wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:40 am

pool heater? like a hot tub?
Pump pushes water through a filter, salt cell and heater before it goes back. Most times it is programmed to be off but near the beginning/end our our 5 month season it's nice to be able to bring the pool water up from the 70s to the low/mid 80s so people here fire up the heater for a few hrs before jumping in. It usually takes 1 hr to increase water temp by one degree so the night before a swim/party or whatever I will probably fire it up. They are probably 80-125k BTU and heated with gas.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

wap wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:38 pm Good luck with the inspection. You're due for some good luck!
Thanks, and I agree!

I didn't even tell everyone, but we had our first offer fall through because the buyer couldn't get us the earnest money. It might all be :fakenews:, but he claimed his bank accounts had been compromised and that Chase had completely revoked access to any and all of his funds. We went pending two weeks ago today, and had to go back on the market that Friday morning. We ended up getting another offer over the weekend, though, and we landed within $2k of where the other one was. Given Thanksgiving was that week and we'd have basically zero traffic, plus the closing of our new place being on the 6th, we decided to move forward. I was super pessimistic, but getting that offer was already one dose of good luck.

The thing I'm most fearful of during the inspection is the sewer line. It's still the old clay pipe and although we had it inspected last year and all was fine, you just never know with those, and it's a pretty expensive $6-10,000 repair depending on how far out you have to go. :yikes:
Last edited by coogles on Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
wap

coogles wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:46 am
wap wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:38 pm Good luck with the inspection. You're due for some good luck!
Thanks, and I agree!

I didn't even tell everyone, but we had our first offer fall through because the buyer couldn't get us the earnest money. It might all be :faknews:, but he claimed his bank accounts had been compromised and that Chase had completely revoked access to any and all of his funds. We went pending two weeks ago today, and had to go back on the market that Friday morning. We ended up getting another offer over the weekend, though, and we landed within $2k of where the other one was. Given Thanksgiving was that week and we'd have basically zero traffic, plus the closing of our new place being on the 6th, we decided to move forward. I was super pessimistic, but getting that offer was already one dose of good luck.

The thing I'm most fearful of during the inspection is the sewer line. It's still the old clay pipe and although we had it inspected last year and all was fine, you just never know with those, and it's a pretty expensive $6-10,000 repair depending on how far out you have to go. :yikes:
Damn, :mahtroy: luck until the very end!
Hope your sewer checks out. Yea, those old tile lines are scary.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

coogles wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:46 am
Thanks, and I agree!

I didn't even tell everyone, but we had our first offer fall through because the buyer couldn't get us the earnest money. It might all be :fakenews:, but he claimed his bank accounts had been compromised and that Chase had completely revoked access to any and all of his funds. We went pending two weeks ago today, and had to go back on the market that Friday morning. We ended up getting another offer over the weekend, though, and we landed within $2k of where the other one was. Given Thanksgiving was that week and we'd have basically zero traffic, plus the closing of our new place being on the 6th, we decided to move forward. I was super pessimistic, but getting that offer was already one dose of good luck.

Does your city offer sewer pipe warranties? In my last city, they worked with a company to offer sewer line replacement warranties. It was ~$100/year...but it covered full replacement if needed. On top of that, it paid for a plumber to come out and snake the line once per year.

I had it on our last house, and I had the line snaked before we sold it. The buyers had the line scoped during inspection, and it came back perfect because we had it snaked. It further turned out that the warranty was transferable, so the buyers were stoked to learn that they had ~8 months of warranty included with the purchase...I just signed a form that I gave them to mail in for the transfer.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:22 pm Does your city offer sewer pipe warranties? In my last city, they worked with a company to offer sewer line replacement warranties. It was ~$100/year...but it covered full replacement if needed. On top of that, it paid for a plumber to come out and snake the line once per year.

I had it on our last house, and I had the line snaked before we sold it. The buyers had the line scoped during inspection, and it came back perfect because we had it snaked. It further turned out that the warranty was transferable, so the buyers were stoked to learn that they had ~8 months of warranty included with the purchase...I just signed a form that I gave them to mail in for the transfer.
I'd looked into it, but the payout was a tiny fraction of what the overall cost of replacement would be. Didn't seem worth it. :iono:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

coogles wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:06 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:22 pm Does your city offer sewer pipe warranties? In my last city, they worked with a company to offer sewer line replacement warranties. It was ~$100/year...but it covered full replacement if needed. On top of that, it paid for a plumber to come out and snake the line once per year.

I'd looked into it, but the payout was a tiny fraction of what the overall cost of replacement would be. Didn't seem worth it. :iono:
Lame. Some are better than others I imagine.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:16 pm Lame. Some are better than others I imagine.
Might have been able to add something to my homeowners' policy? The utility company sent out adverts for their policies and the payout was something like $1,000. Woohoo. :rolleyes:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

:mahtroy: luck continues.

There's a 3 day waiting period between when the buyer accepts the Closing Disclosure (how much we have to bring to closing) and when we can actually go to closing. We close Friday, so that day is today. We received our Closing Disclosure at 2:30pm, but of course there was an error. Because the house was an investment property briefly and that person was stupid, there were delinquent taxes and penalties on the property that were paid this year. The morons at the title company thought these were the actual normal property taxes, so they provided a property tax amount to our bank that was more than $2,000 too high.

We have to bring 6 months of property taxes to close, so that's $1,000 we shouldn't have to bring to close, plus the mortgage payment was going to be set ~$170/mo too high. I can't get the person at the title company who provided that information to our bank to call me back, but the bank evidently can't verify this kind of thing on their own even though I sent them the fucking property tax records via direct link to the county website.

If we can't get the Closing Disclosure updated and sent to us in, oh, the next 13 minutes, it's looking like we're not going to make Friday. And of course the seller has promised to nix the whole thing if we miss that deadline.

I just have to :lolol: at this point.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Jesus dude.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

coogles wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:50 pm :mahtroy: luck continues.

There's a 3 day waiting period between when the buyer accepts the Closing Disclosure (how much we have to bring to closing) and when we can actually go to closing. We close Friday, so that day is today. We received our Closing Disclosure at 2:30pm, but of course there was an error. Because the house was an investment property briefly and that person was stupid, there were delinquent taxes and penalties on the property that were paid this year. The morons at the title company thought these were the actual normal property taxes, so they provided a property tax amount to our bank that was more than $2,000 too high.

We have to bring 6 months of property taxes to close, so that's $1,000 we shouldn't have to bring to close, plus the mortgage payment was going to be set ~$170/mo too high. I can't get the person at the title company who provided that information to our bank to call me back, but the bank evidently can't verify this kind of thing on their own even though I sent them the fucking property tax records via direct link to the county website.

If we can't get the Closing Disclosure updated and sent to us in, oh, the next 13 minutes, it's looking like we're not going to make Friday. And of course the seller has promised to nix the whole thing if we miss that deadline.

I just have to :lolol: at this point.
Yeah wow.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
wap

Fuck man. :rage: