Home chat 1.0

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!

How do you house, brah?

Own it
67%
Rent it
19%
:crang: in mom's basement
10%
:dong: grabbing frat house
2%
At school
No votes
I'm nomadic
2%

Total votes: 42
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

Tarspin wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:26 pm My Moen faucet was dripping when in use in my kitchen for a while, just replaced it tonight. Usually HD is solid about returns without receipts but they just buttoned down on that mainly because they refunded 50k in merchandise that was not credit worthy. Thankfully the cash girl was standing beside the dude who paged for assistance and after 20 min of nobody showing up she whispered to me to come see here when I was checking out.

Checkout :dock: happened and I got $50 off their lowest price in stock faucet and ended up paying 120 for a 170 dollhair item. :fuckyeah:

Going to pick up a new Moen faucet from their factory tomorrow for my new :haus:

I'm just counting blessings and thankful AF at every step of the way. I gave a few concessions to the purchasers and sellers so my Karma count should be through the roof this month.
My 4 year old Delta Touch2O faucet recently started dripping and the flow was impeded. I bought a new cartridge from HD. When I tried to take the old one out, the bonnet nut would not come loose from the cartridge. I fought with it for about an hour but no soap.. I normally do research first, but..... ANyway turns out that Delta has pretty kick ass warranty on their faucets. I called and so far they have sent me two cartidges , a bonnet nut and a full solenoid all gratis.

:fuckyeah:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Irish wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:51 am
Tarspin wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:26 pm My Moen faucet was dripping when in use in my kitchen for a while, just replaced it tonight. Usually HD is solid about returns without receipts but they just buttoned down on that mainly because they refunded 50k in merchandise that was not credit worthy. Thankfully the cash girl was standing beside the dude who paged for assistance and after 20 min of nobody showing up she whispered to me to come see here when I was checking out.

Checkout :dock: happened and I got $50 off their lowest price in stock faucet and ended up paying 120 for a 170 dollhair item. :fuckyeah:

Going to pick up a new Moen faucet from their factory tomorrow for my new :haus:

I'm just counting blessings and thankful AF at every step of the way. I gave a few concessions to the purchasers and sellers so my Karma count should be through the roof this month.
My 4 year old Delta Touch2O faucet recently started dripping and the flow was impeded. I bought a new cartridge from HD. When I tried to take the old one out, the bonnet nut would not come loose from the cartridge. I fought with it for about an hour but no soap.. I normally do research first, but..... ANyway turns out that Delta has pretty kick ass warranty on their faucets. I called and so far they have sent me two cartidges , a bonnet nut and a full solenoid all gratis.

I'm bringing mine into the moen distribution center and demanding another one. I can't dick around with it. Water is a serious threat to my finances and I can see that it has a design flaw, it is leaking from a coupling that easily could have been a npt thread brass fitting but these clowns decided to crimp on a quick fitting that basically fell apart when I disconnected it.

I will be edgy when I wake up tomorrow to say the least. :lol:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:58 pm
Tarspin wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:46 pm The place I bought will need a two stage reno and I have a 28 day span between taking possession and closing on my place. We will commute to drop the kids off at their new school until we move in. Would love to gut out some crusty flooring and add the floors we currently have as the first part of the reno, and add fresh paint, duct cleaning and general preventative maintenance items wherever possible, probably add insulation to the attic since its reasonably affordable and made a noticeable difference in my current :haus:
You're a fucking animal man.
*masochist
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Tarspin wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:21 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:25 pm
He missed major opportunities then. Buying in 2010-2014 and selling now was probably one of the best real estate "investments" someone could make maybe for the next decade. Now's the time to get into a "forever" home and ride out the next 5-10 years.
He was perma doom-and-gloom. Hopefully he doesn't do the polar opposite at peak market or something. I believe more than ever that home appreciation in my market will be very select and everything else will likely just sit or appreciate slow enough that the overhead won't be worth it. I don't suspect I'm in one of those highly desired pockets since I was able to chizzle down the house I bought by a good margin, but I'm a breeder and have slightly different goals in mind.

I do think that inflation will get worse and prices will keep going up (stagflation), so I'm thinking about locking in to low interest rates and hitting the overtime hard until I get some of my bills sorted out the way I like them.

More shitty phone posts from this Canuck 😂
I'm not sure anyone can assume much home appreciation anywhere right now. CA is probably different from USA in some key metros, but I suspect the economy follows the US somewhat closely.

As soon as unemployment starts to tick up, stagflation will be a real concern. Prices of things certainly won't stop rising.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Moen pull through for me this morning, I was calling to see where I can bring the faucet and the guy on the phone asked me to send him pictures. So I obliged as well as provided a model number, and in 3 to 5 days I'll have a new one mailed to me. That's badass!
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:43 am

He was perma doom-and-gloom. Hopefully he doesn't do the polar opposite at peak market or something. I believe more than ever that home appreciation in my market will be very select and everything else will likely just sit or appreciate slow enough that the overhead won't be worth it. I don't suspect I'm in one of those highly desired pockets since I was able to chizzle down the house I bought by a good margin, but I'm a breeder and have slightly different goals in mind.

I do think that inflation will get worse and prices will keep going up (stagflation), so I'm thinking about locking in to low interest rates and hitting the overtime hard until I get some of my bills sorted out the way I like them.

I'm not sure anyone can assume much home appreciation anywhere right now. CA is probably different from USA in some key metros, but I suspect the economy follows the US somewhat closely.

As soon as unemployment starts to tick up, stagflation will be a real concern. Prices of things certainly won't stop rising.
The smart money is in waiting for the next dip. If somebody has cash on the sidelines, now is the time to watch for a low point. The only risk with that, is trying to catch a falling knife sometimes means that you get cut.

I'm going for the long term play, good area, desirable lot, large house. With 20 yrs left in my working career I didn't want to sit in a mediocre region when a better one is only 15 or 20 min away.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:05 am
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:58 pm

You're a fucking animal man.
*masochist
😂
ChrisoftheNorth

Tarspin wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:53 am

The smart money is in waiting for the next dip. If somebody has cash on the sidelines, now is the time to watch for a low point. The only risk with that, is trying to catch a falling knife sometimes means that you get cut.

I'm going for the long term play, good area, desirable lot, large house. With 20 yrs left in my working career I didn't want to sit in a mediocre region when a better one is only 15 or 20 min away.
Very wise.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Detroit wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:57 pm
troyguitar wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:55 pm People like you jacked up the prices closer to the city and pushed the poors out to the fringes... leaving values stagnant out there with falling tax basis and crumbling infrastructure, and tons of fucking drugs and shit that used to stay south of 8 Mile. :thanksobama:
:notwrong:
WAT DO YOU MEAN "PEOPLE LIKE YOU"

:fullretard:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:25 pm
He missed major opportunities then. Buying in 2010-2014 and selling now was probably one of the best real estate "investments" someone could make maybe for the next decade. Now's the time to get into a "forever" home and ride out the next 5-10 years.
He was perma doom-and-gloom. Hopefully he doesn't do the polar opposite at peak market or something.

OOF. :yikes:

sitting on the side lines, like Dplac said, he missed the current golden bubble. I moved 2 houses in that period for a solid :plac: profit on the first and $900/mo rent on the second. Each time I was able to :troywax: the plac profit into the next one.

We now have the realization to actively save wile paying down the relatively "cheap" mortgage. We will see a down turn (recession) but predicting the rigged markets and FED fuckery is a sucker's game. Might as well be comfortable while weathering the storm. :iono:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

I doubled down and bought pot stocks. time to go check in and hope it didnt go to pot. :lol:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

dubshow wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:22 am

He was perma doom-and-gloom. Hopefully he doesn't do the polar opposite at peak market or something.

OOF. :yikes:

sitting on the side lines, like Dplac said, he missed the current golden bubble. I moved 2 houses in that period for a solid :plac: profit on the first and $900/mo rent on the second. Each time I was able to :troywax: the plac profit into the next one.

We now have the realization to actively save wile paying down the relatively "cheap" mortgage. We will see a down turn (recession) but predicting the rigged markets and FED fuckery is a sucker's game. Might as well be comfortable while weathering the storm. :iono:
If we can afford the note on one paycheck then it seems comfortable to me. I would hate to come into the market without the placprofit, and would probably be in a place that costs half as much or less. We first bought in 2007, and did the same as you. Then watched our second place balloon in price.

I think our market still has legs with the interest rates sliding again all for the most part because some talking heads threaten tariffs which they quietly strip away shortly afterwards. That's not even a fundamental weakness, and could easily go away at the next election.

I wouldn't bank on it but getting situated for the next twenty years seems pretty right to me.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

dubshow wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:23 am

I doubled down and bought pot stocks. time to go check in and hope it didnt go to pot. :lol:
My stock market game is weak, I kind of stay away for the most part. The more I think I know, the worse I do. Fk that.
ChrisoftheNorth

dubshow wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:15 am
Detroit wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:57 pm
:notwrong:
WAT DO YOU MEAN "PEOPLE LIKE YOU"

:fullretard:
:howdareu:
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Tarspin wrote:
Detroit wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:43 am I'm not sure anyone can assume much home appreciation anywhere right now. CA is probably different from USA in some key metros, but I suspect the economy follows the US somewhat closely.

That works when you already have 2 amazing jobs and an incredible :haus: in one of the best cities in the world... How do you get there from nothing, though? :eeyore:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:06 am
Tarspin wrote:

That works when you already have 2 amazing jobs and an incredible :haus: in one of the best cities in the world... How do you get there from nothing, though? :eeyore:
I dunno, I guess I would start with the job piece and save for a down payment. The core factor is always income.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Tarspin wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:06 am That works when you already have 2 amazing jobs and an incredible :haus: in one of the best cities in the world... How do you get there from nothing, though? :eeyore:
I dunno, I guess I would start with the job piece and save for a down payment. The core factor is always income.
:word:

Is what it is - the prices have simply left most folks so far behind that they cannot get to your position no matter what they do. If you didn't live in a :waxer: area 5-10 years ago then you are fucked for life. The best we can hope for is to rent a mediocre little apartment in a nice area and never retire - or never live in a nice area. I'll be bitter about it for life. :salt:
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:18 am
Tarspin wrote:
:word:

Is what it is - the prices have simply left most folks so far behind that they cannot get to your position no matter what they do. If you didn't live in a :waxer: area 5-10 years ago then you are fucked for life. The best we can hope for is to rent a mediocre little apartment in a nice area and never retire - or never live in a nice area. I'll be bitter about it for life. :salt:
Nah, another downturn is coming. Now's a great time to figure out where you want to live and start looking for jobs there. Then you can move and rent for a bit until the market's right to buy a house. Could be 5 years or so, but at least you'd be on the right path.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Tarspin wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:42 pm
wap wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:28 pm

I swear I have 50 more grey hair in my scruffy beard from the last few weeks. I feel good :doe: , going to make this one last lifestyle change between now and retirement.

Are you planning on downsizing at some point in the future? What are your thoughts on the subject and on selling homes around retirement age in general?

Chicago is a pretty hopping city, I imagine it to be a lot like Toronto except for the :thankstrump: :thanksobama: ups and downs. We get those too :doe:
We currently have no plans on moving. Moving SUCKS, as you know, and we just don't want to bother. Now, when we get so old that the stairways in our :haus: become too difficult to manage, then we'll reassess. But that hopefully won't be for many years yet. We also :wub: love our :haus: and would hate to leave it.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Tarspin wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:31 am
dubshow wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:23 am

My stock market game is weak, I kind of stay away for the most part. The more I think I know, the worse I do. Fk that.
it all went to shit anyone. :eeyore:
wap

Tarspin wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:49 am Moen pull through for me this morning, I was calling to see where I can bring the faucet and the guy on the phone asked me to send him pictures. So I obliged as well as provided a model number, and in 3 to 5 days I'll have a new one mailed to me. That's badass!
:impressive:
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

Paperwork all signed for VC to move in. She just needs to send a copy of her driver’s license to the PM company.
wap

SAWCE wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:51 pm Paperwork all signed for VC to move in. She just needs to send a copy of her driver’s license to the PM company.
:popcorn:
In4pics
SAWCE

wap wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:27 pm
SAWCE wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:51 pm Paperwork all signed for VC to move in. She just needs to send a copy of her driver’s license to the PM company.
:popcorn:
In4pics
Not cute. I’ll grab one off her Fb.
SAWCE

Jessi Ryan appears to be her “partner”, also not cute.